Be a Supporter!

Tag Updates

  • 9,656 Views
  • 41 Replies
Respond to this Topic
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2000
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Tag Updates 2013-08-21 10:28:45 Reply

During the last batch of publishing updates we had some issues with audio tags not being saved on publish.

I just published some fixes for that problem and introduced a new tag filter option when browsing games, movies and audio. The new filters will only show you content that contains the tags you filter on making it a lot easier to find things.

Here's some examples:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/browse/tag/dubstep_megaman
http://www.newgrounds.com/movies/browse/genre/comedy/tag/cats_funny
http://www.newgrounds.com/games/browse/tag/pixel_rpg

As usual, let us know if you experience any new bugs with this update.


Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
i9incher
i9incher
  • Member since: Jan. 28, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Musician
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 10:38:45 Reply

does this work on older submissions as well...? I tried searching for a submission that was published a few years ago that I know is still on the site but it didn't come up.

At 8/21/13 10:28 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: During the last batch of publishing updates we had some issues with audio tags not being saved on publish.

I just published some fixes for that problem and introduced a new tag filter option when browsing games, movies and audio. The new filters will only show you content that contains the tags you filter on making it a lot easier to find things.

Here's some examples:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/browse/tag/dubstep_megaman
http://www.newgrounds.com/movies/browse/genre/comedy/tag/cats_funny
http://www.newgrounds.com/games/browse/tag/pixel_rpg

As usual, let us know if you experience any new bugs with this update.

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2000
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 10:41:22 Reply

At 8/21/13 10:38 AM, i9incher wrote: does this work on older submissions as well...? I tried searching for a submission that was published a few years ago that I know is still on the site but it didn't come up.

At 8/21/13 10:28 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: During the last batch of publishing updates we had some issues with audio tags not being saved on publish.

I just published some fixes for that problem and introduced a new tag filter option when browsing games, movies and audio. The new filters will only show you content that contains the tags you filter on making it a lot easier to find things.

Here's some examples:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/browse/tag/dubstep_megaman
http://www.newgrounds.com/movies/browse/genre/comedy/tag/cats_funny
http://www.newgrounds.com/games/browse/tag/pixel_rpg

As usual, let us know if you experience any new bugs with this update.

It will work on older stuff, but only if they actually have tags set on them. If you guys know of some older gems that need tags, go ahead and link them in this thread and we'll see about rectifying the situation.


Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 10:49:16 Reply

Thanks! I was wondering that. :) Now my submission has tags again!

FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 10:52:10 Reply

At 8/21/13 10:49 AM, FlyingColours wrote: Thanks! I was wondering that. :) Now my submission has tags again!

Also, hasn't the tags filter been there all along? I type browse/tag/TAG_NAME into the address bar a lot...

ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Member since: Jun. 1, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 10:56:31 Reply

Woooohoooo!


II II lI

BBS Signature
Havegum
Havegum
  • Member since: Oct. 20, 2008
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 10:59:09 Reply

Can we expect there to be more tags in the future?
I just don't think it makes sense to have it restricted at all, and especially not as few as four tags.


BBS Signature
Lemonardo
Lemonardo
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Writer
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 11:20:09 Reply

At 8/21/13 10:59 AM, Havegum wrote: Can we expect there to be more tags in the future?
I just don't think it makes sense to have it restricted at all, and especially not as few as four tags.

If it was completely unrestricted, there's a possibility that users will put many misleading tags on their videos to get undedserved views.


BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Member since: Jan. 6, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 11:25:31 Reply

Much appreciated, searching for specific content has always been a pain.


BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2000
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 11:58:29 Reply

At 8/21/13 11:25 AM, tyler2513 wrote: Much appreciated, searching for specific content has always been a pain.

I should also note if you browse to a specific genre and THEN filter with tags, you can get even more precise results.


Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2000
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 11:59:49 Reply

At 8/21/13 10:52 AM, FlyingColours wrote:
At 8/21/13 10:49 AM, FlyingColours wrote: Thanks! I was wondering that. :) Now my submission has tags again!
Also, hasn't the tags filter been there all along? I type browse/tag/TAG_NAME into the address bar a lot...

On the game/movie portal yeah, but there was no way to search multiple tags, you could only click a tag from a submission page.

I also updated the audio portal tags a lot so they can be used from within genre pages and such.


Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
steampianist
steampianist
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 04
Musician
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 12:04:25 Reply

Hoorah! My songs have tags again

mandog
mandog
  • Member since: Jul. 13, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 22
Musician
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 12:20:45 Reply

We are slowly moving to 2010!


original I am.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Member since: Jul. 5, 2006
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 12:40:30 Reply

Am I the only one who thought this post would be about us getting working hashtags on the bbs?

#swag


Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Damien
Damien
  • Member since: Mar. 12, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Artist
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 13:05:31 Reply

At 8/21/13 10:28 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: During the last batch of publishing updates we had some issues with audio tags not being saved on publish.

I just published some fixes for that problem and introduced a new tag filter option when browsing games, movies and audio. The new filters will only show you content that contains the tags you filter on making it a lot easier to find things.
http://www.newgrounds.com/movies/browse/genre/comedy/tag/cats_funny
http://www.newgrounds.com/games/browse/tag/pixel_rpg

As usual, let us know if you experience any new bugs with this update.

Well, I don't know if this is a bug or part of the feature, but I have a submission that has the tags 'funny' and 'cats' in it.
But my submission didn't seem to show up in those search results. This confuses me.

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2000
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 13:19:52 Reply

At 8/21/13 01:05 PM, Damien wrote:
At 8/21/13 10:28 AM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: During the last batch of publishing updates we had some issues with audio tags not being saved on publish.

I just published some fixes for that problem and introduced a new tag filter option when browsing games, movies and audio. The new filters will only show you content that contains the tags you filter on making it a lot easier to find things.
http://www.newgrounds.com/movies/browse/genre/comedy/tag/cats_funny
http://www.newgrounds.com/games/browse/tag/pixel_rpg

As usual, let us know if you experience any new bugs with this update.
Well, I don't know if this is a bug or part of the feature, but I have a submission that has the tags 'funny' and 'cats' in it.
But my submission didn't seem to show up in those search results. This confuses me.

The example I posted was in the comedy genre. Your movie is in the experimental genre:
http://www.newgrounds.com/movies/browse/genre/experimental/tag/cats_funny


Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
Cerafire
Cerafire
  • Member since: Feb. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 16:27:03 Reply

I think the Tag Search Bar should be united with the top right Search bar (like making a quick search / advanced search button)

Loki
Loki
  • Member since: Oct. 18, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 52
Writer
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 16:30:16 Reply

At 8/21/13 12:40 PM, ZJ wrote: Am I the only one who thought this post would be about us getting working hashtags on the bbs?

#swag

The only person foolish enough, I suppose.

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 16:36:02 Reply

At 8/21/13 01:19 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: The example I posted was in the comedy genre. Your movie is in the experimental genre:
http://www.newgrounds.com/movies/browse/genre/experimental/tag/cats_funny

It just seems like the only way you can filter, is by opening up a random selection, then either click a tag or scan down the left side of the submission page, to see the "Related Stuff" sidebar... can't you add that to the left of the search page's results (nothing but a black bar sits up there now)?

Or at least add "Plenty more Like These" to the left sidebar? A listing of categories/genres/collections.. on the left of any search, would be helpful. If there was an Advanced Search page, where you could search tags and names simultaneously, that would be awesome.


Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 39
Musician
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 17:54:09 Reply

This is awesome! This helps a lot in audio portal submissions searching! <3 <3 <3

InnerChild548
InnerChild548
  • Member since: Aug. 10, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 18:27:23 Reply

great work!


BBS Signature
Metraff
Metraff
  • Member since: Sep. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Voice Actor
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 18:36:57 Reply

Liking the filters


Support NG. Tweeter
"Metraff I'm going to fuck you." - Sodamachine

BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Member since: Sep. 8, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 19:35:24 Reply

At 8/21/13 12:20 PM, mandog wrote: We are slowly moving to 2010!

It's mild disappointment and sarcasm like this that keeps us going.


I manage NG's servers (and other stuff).
E-mail us with questions, concerns, complaints, compliments ;), etc. related to the site.
Here is info on chat and the store closing.

BBS Signature
PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Member since: Sep. 26, 2000
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 19:49:20 Reply

At 8/21/13 07:35 PM, BrenTheMan wrote:
At 8/21/13 12:20 PM, mandog wrote: We are slowly moving to 2010!
It's mild disappointment and sarcasm like this that keeps us going.

Your mom keeps ME going...


Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Member since: Sep. 8, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 19:58:33 Reply

At 8/21/13 07:49 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: Your mom keeps ME going...

That makes sense only if you really hate yourself.


I manage NG's servers (and other stuff).
E-mail us with questions, concerns, complaints, compliments ;), etc. related to the site.
Here is info on chat and the store closing.

BBS Signature
NoLanLabs
NoLanLabs
  • Member since: May. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 20:01:30 Reply

At 8/21/13 04:36 PM, VicariousE wrote:
At 8/21/13 01:19 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: The example I posted was in the comedy genre. Your movie is in the experimental genre:
http://www.newgrounds.com/movies/browse/genre/experimental/tag/cats_funny
... If there was an Advanced Search page, where you could search tags and names simultaneously, that would be awesome.

I agree with this. If you could change the genre or add a search term without the tags disappearing, that'd be pretty good.


Happy Robot Day 2014! Play our latest GAME! It's in 3-D!

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Member since: Feb. 15, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 20:21:07 Reply

At 8/21/13 08:01 PM, NoLanLabs wrote:
At 8/21/13 04:36 PM, VicariousE wrote:
At 8/21/13 01:19 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: The example I posted was in the comedy genre. Your movie is in the experimental genre:
http://www.newgrounds.com/movies/browse/genre/experimental/tag/cats_funny
... If there was an Advanced Search page, where you could search tags and names simultaneously, that would be awesome.
I agree with this. If you could change the genre or add a search term without the tags disappearing, that'd be pretty good.

Dates and ratings (review score, actual score, and age-rating) would be helpful too. Doesn't have to be as fancy as the IMDB Advanced Search page. I'd like to be able to check out the first few years of NG's submissions, for old time's sake.


Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
NoLanLabs
NoLanLabs
  • Member since: May. 27, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 21:40:22 Reply

At 8/21/13 08:21 PM, VicariousE wrote: Doesn't have to be as fancy as the IMDB Advanced Search page. I'd like to be able to check out the first few years of NG's submissions, for old time's sake.

But it'd be pretty cool if it was.

Honestly though, I think NG's kind of lacking a good, detailed way to browse all the old content. I miss the old stats pages that displayed everything in a list, rather than the new icon format. I want to be able to see what the top scoring movies of 2003 were, or the top Flashes on December 4, 2005, or random stuff like that.

Also, just generally featuring some of the older content would be nice, because there's so much really good stuff that gets forgotten about. Most of the featured stuff is all from the past year, so it'd be cool if there was more of a focus on "classic" content too (even "classics" from just a few years ago). The only think like that now is the "this date in history" in the classic portal - I just looked at that and rediscovered this cool gem, it'd be great if stuff like that was more prevalent around the site.


Happy Robot Day 2014! Play our latest GAME! It's in 3-D!

KGBXXX
KGBXXX
  • Member since: Aug. 2, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-21 22:44:15 Reply

im not amused

supergandhi64
supergandhi64
  • Member since: Dec. 10, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Tag Updates 2013-08-22 01:42:19 Reply

very exciting news! how's the secret project coming along? i'm very anxious to hear about any updates you have

--supergandhi64


BBS Signature