00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

RIOTxANON06 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

New Artist Here

590 Views | 3 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

New Artist Here 2013-08-19 02:12:31

I have just made two portal pixelated items that I would like to share with the NG community. So far, the two submissions have only about 10 views each, maybe because no one knows me. :/ Anyways, if people could go check my page for them and judge them, it would be great. Just remember, I'm a starting artist, so don't judge so harshly. ( I will attach one: the portal cake, to this post, check my page for the turret.)

New Artist Here

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!

PSN name: kulit_2

BBS Signature

Response to New Artist Here 2013-08-19 06:26:52

For pixel art it isn't bad, but it's really obscure. I've never played portal but I know the references through countless memes floating around on the internet. (cake is a lie, that sort of thing.) You've got a weird grey coming out of the cake. Try coming up with your own ideas and format them through pixelation.

Birds Born in a cage think Flying is an illness - Alejandro Jodorowsky

BBS Signature

Response to New Artist Here 2013-08-19 12:56:36

At 8/19/13 06:26 AM, Mrccbirdguy wrote: For pixel art it isn't bad, but it's really obscure. I've never played portal but I know the references through countless memes floating around on the internet. (cake is a lie, that sort of thing.) You've got a weird grey coming out of the cake. Try coming up with your own ideas and format them through pixelation.

Thanks anyways for viewing it. The cake is (spoilers) what you get after defeating glados, but you, the player, doesn't get it. The grey thing is kind of a glitch when I was trying to crop it. I will follow your advice and try to make my own pixelated creations.

SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!!!!

PSN name: kulit_2

BBS Signature

Response to New Artist Here 2013-08-20 14:54:51

A tipp that I can give to you regarding pixel art is to start with blank bases representing the different parts.
For example, you draw some dude with a blue arm, yellow torso and a green head (yes, it's ridiculous, just roll with it).
Draw the arm, torso and head with said colors on seperate layers. No shades or highlights yet.
After that, make a layer selection by clicking on the layer while pressing crtl.
Now you add highlights and shadows. Work with multiple steps between base color and deepest shadow/strongest highlight.
3 to 5 steps usualy bring best results (depending on size of the image).
Do this for every layer.
Thats a very basic way on pixel art, but works pretty well for starters.
Hope it helps.

---------| You're welcome |----------