New Topic Respond to this Topic
Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Any Webcomic Artists Here? [tl;dr] Aug. 16th, 2013 @ 02:55 PM Reply

So I've been fooling around with webcomics the past year, and there's always one thing that bothers me:
Panel sizes.
Or more specific, the eventual resolution of my jpeg.

Seeing I use flash, I started using the default stage size for each panel. But then I started experimenting and using different panel sizes, depending on what I was actually in the frame.
And after all this time. I still haven't found a size I would like to reuse. Mainly because I never made a template so I keep forgetting what resolution I used. Also, the numbers are just all over the place.

Then I did searched on the web for help with this, and most people suggested adjusting your size according to your website and common monitor resolutions.
This wasn't a lot of help, because I would like to be able to post these "webcomics" anywhere (facebook, deviantart, newgrounds) and most people have a big enough monitor resolution that it's not really something to consider (the searches I got in googling where very outdated).

So I turn to the art forums on my favourite art website: Newgrounds!
Hoping that I would get some quick and easy feedback, so I could go on and make webcomics for my own enjoyment without having to worry about what resolution I should use and:
A) Doesn't conflict with comic theory [doesn't break the big rules]
B) Allows people to read it seamlessly[not having to scroll to much or interferes with the reading]
C) Is easy to reuse for every type of comic [something I could keep as a template]

I have a small follow up question: (I know I'm asking a lot, but I'm very newat illustration and I only got a degree in graphic design, not cartooning)
Is it okay for me to use flash to do my artwork? Or should I consider switching to photoshop? I read that people dislike the lines and colouring from artwork in flash.

TL;DR
What resolution is standard for webcomics with 4-6 panels?

Here's some links to comics I've made in the past that could help with giving input to my situation:
These panels are too long.
These panels are too square
This has too many panels and theyre too small

Thank you for reading and I hope to get some help!

bigjonny13
bigjonny13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 52
Voice Actor
Response to Any Webcomic Artists Here? [tl;dr] Aug. 16th, 2013 @ 04:27 PM Reply

At 8/16/13 02:55 PM, Damien wrote: Is it okay for me to use flash to do my artwork? Or should I consider switching to photoshop? I read that people dislike the lines and colouring from artwork in flash.

I'm not good with the resolution part, but I can offer some feedback in this matter.
I would say that ultimately it's up to your own discretion. Some artists prefer photoshop, some prefer flash. One is vector based, the other is raster. I don't feel that flash detracts anything, it just has certain limitations that photoshop doesn't have, but it can still produce some fabulous work. JohnnyUtah does all his work in flash. So if you're enjoying the artwork that you can churn out in flash, stick with it!

Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to Any Webcomic Artists Here? [tl;dr] Aug. 16th, 2013 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 8/16/13 04:27 PM, bigjonny13 wrote:
At 8/16/13 02:55 PM, Damien wrote: Is it okay for me to use flash to do my artwork? Or should I consider switching to photoshop? I read that people dislike the lines and colouring from artwork in flash.
I'm not good with the resolution part, but I can offer some feedback in this matter.
I would say that ultimately it's up to your own discretion. Some artists prefer photoshop, some prefer flash. One is vector based, the other is raster. I don't feel that flash detracts anything, it just has certain limitations that photoshop doesn't have, but it can still produce some fabulous work. JohnnyUtah does all his work in flash. So if you're enjoying the artwork that you can churn out in flash, stick with it!

Yeah, that's how I felt as wel.
Its just that reading that one post on the webcomic list caused some insecurity on my part. Seeing I never really did sketch/art work in photoshop (I mainly used it for design aspects) and flash always gave me more of a free feeling when it came down to illustrating. So I was just checking.
Thanks for your reply!
I guess for the resolution issue I'll just wing it.

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Any Webcomic Artists Here? [tl;dr] Aug. 16th, 2013 @ 06:21 PM Reply

Can't go wrong with the golden rectangle!
Though your panels doesn't have to be absolutely static, I'm sure there's a place for just about any size and shape if it's done right.

The specific size of your panels depends on a few things. Where do you intend for your webcomic to be read? If it's on a page with limited sizes (e.g. NG bbs, tumblr images, etc), you might want to match their requirements. NG BBS has a max of 720 px wide, and the art portal "preview" size is 590 wide.

If you have your own website you can decide everything yourself, but you might want to take into consideration mobile and tablet users experience.

I'm no expert, but I imagine fitting golden rectangles within your 590-720 pixels should be alright.

Any Webcomic Artists Here? [tl;dr]

BBS Signature
Damien
Damien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Artist
Response to Any Webcomic Artists Here? [tl;dr] Aug. 16th, 2013 @ 06:38 PM Reply

At 8/16/13 06:21 PM, Havegum wrote: Can't go wrong with the golden rectangle!
I'm no expert, but I imagine fitting golden rectangles within your 590-720 pixels should be alright.

Oh wow! That's a really good tip! Thanks!
Where did you pick this up, if you don't mind me asking? I'll end up googling it anyway, but I'm just a bit curious to where people got their info about these sort of things.

Havegum
Havegum
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Melancholy
Response to Any Webcomic Artists Here? [tl;dr] Aug. 16th, 2013 @ 06:59 PM Reply

At 8/16/13 06:38 PM, Damien wrote:

The golden rectangle I got from various classes at school.

The BBS image post limitations are readily available next to the upload button, and the art portal preview size I believe I found by inspecting the page with firefox' "inspect element" tool.

Now of course those aren't by any means the absolute and only solution in all cases, but I reckon it's an alright size to work with both for the artist and the viewers - regardless of what monitor they're using.

BBS Signature