VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-19 01:41:12 Reply

@tomfulp Uh, we have Unity support now? What is this sorcery? Nothing much in the NG Wiki on the subject, or in the site requirements. There's a certain segment of Newgrounds members, who have slower computers.. should they even try to install Unity?

• You Have To Eat
    You Have To Eat by I-smel

The Other Guy's Poop

Score
    Under Judgment
    Type
    Game
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

For the past 13 years, the only in-browser app I needed, was (Adobe) Flash. I'm familiar with it. So what 's this Unity Web Player? Does it have tracking cookies, new places on the hard drive it backs up data, what man?

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
pinoytoons
pinoytoons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-19 05:01:45 Reply

At 8/18/13 07:47 PM, mandog wrote: You gotta ask yourself
"Is this a flash site or is this an MP4 site?"
"Is this a rip off of youtube or is youtube supposed to ripping us?"

ripping or not . the thing is, youtube benefits from NG and NG benefits on youtube . it's more like trading of traffic .some animation and flash fans out there are still not aware of newgrounds .

so whether or not NG evolves to another kind of website , it does'nt matter . as long as these speedpainting don't ruin the site's main concept and environment .

PS. i'm still not in favor of having these speedpaintings in the movies portal

spread the word!!!

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-19 08:15:35 Reply

no. because they are crap and the portal is already full of sub par submissions why make it worst Tom?

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-19 12:14:31 Reply

Aftermath

No is No. My points still stand. Tom plz don't sellout NG like that. This place isn't Kongregate or worse, Youtube. If they want to do speedpainting, tell them to do it elsewhere.

Tutorial section sounds nice. But speedpainting section only for art? That sounds very discriminating to other Portals.

Will somebody thinks of the children?
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-19 13:45:41 Reply

At 8/19/13 12:14 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
Aftermath
No is No. My points still stand. Tom plz don't sellout NG like that. This place isn't Kongregate or worse, Youtube. If they want to do speedpainting, tell them to do it elsewhere.

Tutorial section sounds nice. But speedpainting section only for art? That sounds very discriminating to other Portals.
Will somebody thinks of the children?

I think NG should implement a poll system that way instead of just counting comments, the vote would weigh decisions, I think that may be helpful. I'm still against the speedpaint idea, but polls usually do help.

ChampionFeatures
ChampionFeatures
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-19 21:30:50 Reply

Seems like something that would naturally complement the ART PORTAL and not the Movie Portal. Afterall the finished project of any time lapse video should be present as well.

This could simply be an optional extra to add substance to an art submission. The thumbnail of art that carries a speedpainting file could have a symbol in one corner to indicate its presence.

I like the idea of time lapse but I am not in favour of diluting the pure animation found in the movie portal.

StartConnexions
StartConnexions
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-19 22:10:03 Reply

I love Time lapse speed paintings, and I even make a few myself. I'm all for putting time-lapse movies on new grounds, I mean the site is for artists, but that probably would flood the animation portal. If it's possible to filter time-lapse movies to its own area, then it damn well should be done.

Noodle
Noodle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 02:08:13 Reply

Maybe this would have a special place somewhere in the Art Portal. But I think it would just flood the Movie Portal far too much.

GAH!

BBS Signature
ShiningFox
ShiningFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 05:43:18 Reply

Why not make a new label under community and call it something like How to, or Users?
People would then be able to submit how to draw, speedpaint/time-lapse, tutorials, tips. graphic design etc.

BBS Signature
S-K
S-K
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 07:50:24 Reply

Is it really that hard to put them into their own category? Yeah you could have those videos here, and done properly I don't see why they would interfere with other content

Zhon
Zhon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 08:41:05 Reply

I've done a few speedpainting videos myself, but I never thought to put them on NG. It just doesn't seem like the place for it. I agree with the idea to have them either be attached to finished art or to allow for video embedding in descriptions.

I just decided that I need a signature.

GlennDoesStuff
GlennDoesStuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 09:42:57 Reply

At 8/16/13 11:15 AM, Kamikaye wrote: Probably allow speedpainting-vids only in connection with the finished artwork in the art portal ? Would reduce spam and keep the visitors on NG.

I think this is the best idea. Personally I love a good speed paint tutorial , but think it would best fit in the art portal

TheMajormel
TheMajormel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 10:35:00 Reply

At 8/19/13 01:41 AM, VicariousE wrote: @tomfulp Uh, we have Unity support now?

Unity supports flash now. It was the craziest news received last month

BBS Signature
ramsmash102
ramsmash102
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 11:04:51 Reply

At 8/16/13 10:29 AM, TomFulp wrote: The question has come up recently about whether we should have a Movies category for Speedpainting. Newgrounds is all about creating stuff, so creating Art does fall under that category. For an example, you can check out the speedpaints on Jazza's Drawing with Jazza YouTube channel.

The big question is whether speedpaint videos will completely flood the Portal and make it harder to find animations. We could consider something that filters them out of the main listings if they become an issue. Would you guys like to see more speedpaint art videos and would you like to submit your own?

ALSO:

5 Days Remain to Support these NG Artists on Kickstarter!

Sure, I mean if it does clog the portal, you do have a plan that will make every body happy. Sounds like a good idea, you should try it.

CrazyCreators
CrazyCreators
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 11:17:58 Reply

At 8/16/13 12:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: If we made Speedpaints part of the Art Portal, it would still use our Movie publishing system to actually get them onto the site. I could imagine something where you use the movie publishing system, but if the genre is Speedpainting, it NEVER actually gets listed alongside movies. Instead, there could be a listing of them in the Art Portal and Art submissions could create a cross-reference to the speedpainting.

HOWEVER, there is a lot more work than meets the eye with making that sort of thing happen. A better solution may be to simply allow video embedding in the Author Commentary, so the artists can embed their speedpaint directly into their commentary box like they could on a blog. This is something we can look at while adding other improvements to the author commentary (like clickable links). In a perfect world, the author commentary and blogs would both share the same rich text editor with a whole host of improved features.

I personally believe that we should let things as they are for now.Newgrounds is about animations,art,games,music and many more.It has nothing to do with speedpaint videos though.If that thing starts on Newgrounds i think it will decrease the entrances for the other categories since it will attract so much attention.I believe its better as you said to let people put them in their blogs and not as a movie category.Its easier now and it won't change the face of this beautifull website.

I love newgrounds for how it is.I don't want it to become like youtube...

Youtube Facebook George's Twitter

Crazy might be just a word but it might have a thousand meanings through out the world.

VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 15:11:09 Reply

At 8/20/13 10:35 AM, TheMajormel wrote:
At 8/19/13 01:41 AM, VicariousE wrote: @tomfulp Uh, we have Unity support now?
Unity supports flash now. It was the craziest news received last month

Still witchcraft to me... Another member here was playing a game, so I tracked to it down to another site (which looked a lot like NG) and they had Unity games, and had almost as many people playing, as we did in our BBS at the time I checked it out. How far behind the times are we?

As for speedpainting, it's not a movie or a game, so where it go? Yeah, maybe just make a new label/tag in videos or a sidebar in Art, maybe even a page accessible from the drop-down Art button... it's a toughie. I guess this is one of the reasons why folks were irked at the Games/Movies split from the (classic) Portal, I dunno.

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 15:25:40 Reply

At 8/19/13 01:45 PM, RealFaction wrote: I think NG should implement a poll system that way instead of just counting comments, the vote would weigh decisions, I think that may be helpful. I'm still against the speedpaint idea, but polls usually do help.

Yeah, but the NG Art Portal is kick ass! Why alienate the contributors? Maybe only allow scouted Art submitters to upload speedpaints. Tom's idea of embedding a video link in the still work's comments (maybe even add a little video icon to the pop-up description), sounds like a doable idea... anything to keep things tidy and neat. Fuck. This why he wanted to go venture capitalist, and get the funds needed for additional staff and pre-fab website trickery :\

I guess Tom could squeeze a weekly poll into the FP, one vote per member... Still, this isn't a democracy, Tom will always do what he thinks is best to keep things in-line with his vision of Newgrounds. He's been at this since the late 20th century, ya know.

The longer we wait on making a decision, the more content piles up, untagged and unsorted... this has happened before.

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 16:28:08 Reply

At 8/19/13 05:01 AM, pinoytoons wrote: PS. i'm still not in favor of having these speedpaintings in the movies portal

Trust me, YouTube benefits MUCH more off Newgrounds.

original I am.

BBS Signature
TheMAM
TheMAM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 16:50:31 Reply

Well, it's not really in the "Newgrounds spirit", but hey, I'm fine with it either way.

ErikMasters
ErikMasters
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Filmmaker
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-20 17:04:06 Reply

I believe that we shouldn't

MysticSkillz
MysticSkillz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-21 03:13:56 Reply

I have to admit this is a tough call. Having speed painting under the are tab don't sound too bad, you do have a empty space under the art thumbnails that's looks interesting to have speed painting videos to be displayed. It could also contain a link to the art peace as well. But even so what about the other type of videos people submit here, at first NG was all about making flash videos and games and now we see 3D, Sprite and even live Music Videos. In that case these should have their own section.
Plus I'm still with the idea of having Games and Movies have their own top 10 section.

Check out my work at MysticSkillz

BBS Signature
pinoytoons
pinoytoons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-22 00:03:47 Reply

At 8/20/13 04:28 PM, mandog wrote:
At 8/19/13 05:01 AM, pinoytoons wrote: PS. i'm still not in favor of having these speedpaintings in the movies portal
Trust me, YouTube benefits MUCH more off Newgrounds.

well it's up to artist if he wants to upload it on YT . it's not gonna make any difference . these speedpaintings will still get uploaded there anyway even if NG allows speedpaintings

the reason i vote no is because speedpaintings are not a movie/animation . its typically just a documentation of something . i don't see it fit in the movies portal ? i somehow favor it if it's put in a different category .

spread the word!!!

ShiroiAkuma
ShiroiAkuma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-10-01 09:54:52 Reply

Yes. Depending on the speed paint you can learn a lot from it also they are good to explain things in a short time, if you do a tutorial you could time-lapse unnecessary parts as well. Sorry for bad English.