Respond to this Topic
pinoytoons
pinoytoons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 09:09 AM Reply

At 8/17/13 09:06 AM, pinoytoons wrote: i vote "no" . those stuff are considered to belong on the dumping grounds

if people are intersted on uploading their filmed work . then i suggest . you guys should add a revise/improve/update the dumping grounds . perhaps make the dumping grounds visible in the artist profile page\

if a viewer wants to see it then he/she can ask permission to the artist

spread the word!!!

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 11:01 AM Reply

At 8/17/13 06:16 AM, CankerousKitty wrote:
At 8/16/13 09:50 PM, Elitistinen wrote: @cankerouskitty
Alright. Seem like most dicks just skimmed through shits and post for their own goods.
This coming from the guy who addressed my argument with an ad-hominem.
And pretty apt for what you say next:

Hypocrisy won't work on an already-hypocrite.

You didn't seem to read the concluding sentence in my post, which was:

Yes, I did, and they were full of self-pleasure.

These vids are
- Few and far between. You will have incredible difficulty searching for a timelapse vid amongst the wealth of other animations and tutorials in the informative section. They don't clog up the portal because artists don't timelapse every single pic they make.

Yep, add another worthless feature for NG, only worthy for some people. You forget that NG is run by a small group of admins, not some shit place like DeviaTart that charges you every cent of things you do. So you want a group of busy staff add shits that worthless to a lot of people, then watch it bites the dust because of 'too little reviewers'?

Fuck logics, right?

- The reviewers don't care. Nor do the voters.

How many people actually put a decent review in art (and music) portals? Don't talk like you know shit. Most just skim through shits and put a "good stuff" or "awesome" and blah blah.

- Have been a part of the portal since 2008 - and have never gotten under people's noses up until now, when people who don't browse underjudgement are allowed an opinion on something they have been mostly ignorant about.

You have no proof for that. What if I say I was here longer than you, witnessed the redesign (bf the 2012 one), and only signed up lately just to join the hivemind General ? Oh wait I don't think I can prove that to you too.

So what's the point of whoring stat on this? Even the ad hominem has nothing to do with this. Good job derailing.

Now let's consider stuff that is more like art than a movie, but is in the portal anway.

You WANT and NEW PORTAL for worthless thing? How long did you one NG again? Let's rephrase this, the speedpainting shit might be nice to go as a cag on Art Portal. But not on ITS OWN.

Seems legit.
NewShape
NewShape
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Writer
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 11:13 AM Reply

At 8/16/13 09:41 PM, mandog wrote:
At 8/16/13 09:30 PM, NewShape wrote: Bring back the alphas bro!

It gave a bigger sense of community.
I don't know if I was around when the alphas were around, I don't get it, what was it?

It was a page where you could advertise what you were working on. Set a release date for its premier.

Members could vote up what they were looking forward to most.

CankerousKitty
CankerousKitty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 12:31 PM Reply

At 8/17/13 11:01 AM, Elitistinen wrote: Hypocrisy won't work on an already-hypocrite.

... what?

Yes, I did, and they were full of self-pleasure.

... what?

These vids are
- Few and far between.
Yep, add another worthless feature for NG, only worthy for some people.

... I never said anything about making a feature.

- The reviewers don't care. Nor do the voters.
How many people actually put a decent review in art (and music) portals? Most just skim through shits and put a "good stuff" or "awesome" and blah blah.

... what makes your opinion more important than their's?

- Have been a part of the portal since 2008 - and have never gotten under people's noses up until now, when people who don't browse underjudgement are allowed an opinion on something they have been mostly ignorant about.
You have no proof for that.

... yeah I did, I just linked a bunch of stuff in the thread.
What if I say I was here longer than you, witnessed the redesign (bf the 2012 one), and only signed up lately just to join the hivemind General ? Oh wait I don't think I can prove that to you too.
I would think you were yet another General Forum moron who puts far too much importance on sign-up dates.

So what's the point of whoring stat on this? Even the ad hominem has nothing to do with this. Good job derailing.

I won't let facts get in the way of an argument next time(!)

Now let's consider stuff that is more like art than a movie, but is in the portal anway.
You WANT and NEW PORTAL for worthless thing?
How long did you one NG again? Let's rephrase this, the speedpainting shit might be nice to go as a cag on Art Portal. But not on ITS OWN.

... not once in my argument did I say to make a Speedpainting portal.

I'm going to stop making a point to you, Elistinen, since a) you didn't read what I wrote, b) you're babbling in a poor attempt to save face and c) this is meant to be a discussion for everybody.

creepyboy
creepyboy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 01:36 PM Reply

At 8/16/13 10:29 AM, TomFulp wrote:
Would you guys like to see more speedpaint art videos and would you like to submit your own?

Yes. But not on the Flash or Art Portals per se but in a separate section/portal. And there would have to have a filter system (like the scouting on the Art Portal) to avoid people posting videos that aren't their own and subpar videos.

Sorry for my bad english. I'm not from this planet
Art Page|Art Thread|DeviantArt|Twitter

BBS Signature
Kajenx
Kajenx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 03:46 PM Reply

At 8/16/13 07:20 PM, 4urentertainment wrote: Kind of reminds me of Tom's ideas of wanting to have post-mortems of games in the Lit Portal linked to game submissions, so you'd play the game and if you're interested, you can read about how it was made, developed and how it did, same thing for art in that way.

SHH! It's already enough work to make the games! I don't wanna make a bunch of extra shix, leave that to kickstarter and those crazy workaholics... XD

BBS Signature
Kajenx
Kajenx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 03:50 PM Reply

At 8/17/13 06:16 AM, CankerousKitty wrote: crap
At 8/16/13 09:50 PM, Elitistinen wrote: other crap

You guys sound like college professors (that's the worst insult I could come up with). Can I join your flame war? :3

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 04:51 PM Reply

At 8/17/13 12:31 PM, CankerousKitty wrote: uttered craps

You sound like a spoiled brat. Speaking of not-reading other response, did you even read, then think about OP's main points. No you didn't. That's why we are still shoving each other.

Case close, prof.

BooBooMcFoo
BooBooMcFoo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Movie Buff
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 06:41 PM Reply

At 8/16/13 11:43 AM, BoMToons wrote: I'd vote "No."

NG portals seem to be for "finished" products and the behind-the-scenes, what-went-into-this, and post-mortem categories are what user pages/forums are for. If you're posting in-progress stuff, it's nice to be able to have the back-and-forth conversational ease of the user page. You can also post multiple videos/photos at once and give a more comprehensive look without having to edit it all into a single video.

I agree. Finished art & animations belong on the portal but more-so for animations. Honestly, I like to look at some of the art before it's been colored in. But is it not true to say that the Time-Lapse ISfinished work and the work in-progress aspect is leading up to that which has been completed?

I don't know if it's been said, but what if the Time-Lapse video was put in the Art Portal along side the actual artwork itself? If you want to see only the finished work, don't watch the video! If the finished piece doesn't get blammed and the person has a Time-Lapse for it, I believe it would be a great addition to the already awesome art portal!

ItsChickenPIES
ItsChickenPIES
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 08:14 PM Reply

I'm sorry but I don't really like the idea... don't get me wrong I love a good speedpaint video but I feel it takes the fun away from the animations that were designed to be originally on there, there is a lot of amazing artists out there, but for me thats not the same as animating a video. Art should be on the art page :) just my opinion...

Canas
Canas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 09:54 PM Reply

I think the more we can expand the better, especially since traffic has been on a steady decline in the past few years. We should be a website that showcases all aspects of creativity, be it flash, art, photoshop, writing, and anything pertaining to culture.

So obviously, I think the answer is yes. But it seems to be just a small answer to the greater more burning question. How can we improve Newgrounds to draw in a wider audience, and do we even want this?

illicit
illicit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 10:40 PM Reply

I vote yes.

insert-brain-here
insert-brain-here
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 10:43 PM Reply

I think it's great as long as it doesn't obstruct the front-page Art or popular Art sections.

Maybe it'd be better if it was just another set of modules on the Art page that could be found using the sidebar or drop-down.
Anything that adds more to this site, but makes sure that the existing experience isn't ruined.

Dumb2Die
Dumb2Die
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 11:16 PM Reply

Speed painting does not belong to this site. I really don't want to see newgrounds being flooded by pointles recording videos on how someone drew someting. It just isn't right. There is a place for this called yo*tube.

leakyduck
leakyduck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 12:18 AM Reply

What if Speed paints were to be placed under the art section and not be able to be used without a link to the finished piece. that way people would be sharing their art and their process. If i could find speed paints linked to art in the portal imo that would make my day.

core-basic
core-basic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 04:23 AM Reply

I'm all for pushing Ng into the future, but those speed paint videos will just take away from what NG is. I say no. I can see it turning into what web design is turning into. Nothing but people using frameworks and calling everything flat design.

core-basic
core-basic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 04:25 AM Reply

At 8/18/13 04:23 AM, core-basic wrote: I'm all for pushing Ng into the future, but those speed paint videos will just take away from what NG is. I say no. I can see it turning into what web design is turning into. Nothing but people using frameworks and calling everything flat design.

At least put it in the art section,and no where else.

tailsbuddy
tailsbuddy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Art Lover
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 04:48 AM Reply

Please no

pinoytoons
pinoytoons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 04:51 AM Reply

At 8/16/13 02:31 PM, Honry wrote: I think it would be cool to have speedpaints on NG but at the same time I think it could become irritating to see the portal flooded. They probably should have their own category at least

i agree . personally , i'm not in favor of it included in the flash and movie portal . i understand that NG need to expand it's content but it should be done correctly . having it's own category would be workable . a "Miscellaneous" categroy is good . having this can open up to to sub-category such as tutorials , speedpainting , and vlog . this can boost NG's traffic and everbody is happy

spread the word!!!

SkillSkillFiretruck
SkillSkillFiretruck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 05:12 AM Reply

Add it to the Art Portal.
With a way to Filter it out/in.

Protoend
Protoend
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 12:42 PM Reply

Nice

Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art

Archewally
Archewally
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 01:09 PM Reply

Speedpaints/timelapses don't deserve a spot in the portal, because they aren't actual content. The content is the art or whatever someone made, and that's what the portals are for.

However, some people do like them (for no apparent reason), so we can think of something else!

A couple of people already said this, but I think if this was to be implemented, there should be an optional space to put a link to the speedpaint/timelapse for every individual art submission just like the movies have for songs/audio they use.

But for god's sake, don't make it a category in the movie portal! Anything but that, please

Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art

Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 01:54 PM Reply

I say go for it. But instead of having it in the regular portal put it in the art portal.
It'd make more sense that way.

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
acid-burn
acid-burn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 04:11 PM Reply

No. But you know what would be nice? Some sort of notification system for when you're unscouted so that you don't have to just stumble upon your stuff suddenly having no score. I mean, you already feel compelled to notify people when their comments are deleted right?

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed dwarf is king.

BBS Signature
Sabtastic
Sabtastic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 05:35 PM Reply

Would there be any way to add a category to the Art Portal rather than the Movie Portal for time lapse / speed paint videos? Either way, I highly support the notion!! I'd love to see that sort of stuff here, and I really doubt it would flood the portal. You could totally implement some sort of 'scout' rule so that only certain people will be allowed to post.

Might a strict set of rules help with the high volume of posts, too?
Like... 'must not include rough work or only sketches'... or... 'must include artwork that has been (or will be) posted in the art portal'.

TheFoxHarbinger
TheFoxHarbinger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 06:06 PM Reply

I vote yes, at least for some weeks, to see how it turns out.

Get yourself a life. Leave me alone.

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 07:47 PM Reply

You gotta ask yourself
"Is this a flash site or is this an MP4 site?"
"Is this a rip off of youtube or is youtube supposed to ripping us?"

original I am.

BBS Signature
LonelyGroke
LonelyGroke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 10:05 PM Reply

At 8/18/13 07:47 PM, mandog wrote: You gotta ask yourself
"Is this a flash site or is this an MP4 site?"
"Is this a rip off of youtube or is youtube supposed to ripping us?"

We got a winner here.

Archewally
Archewally
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 10:35 PM Reply

Let me elaborate a little about what I said before.

The idea to have speedpaints in the movies portal was pretty scary at first, because then it would most likely flood the portal, but... having speedlapse/timepaints be available through the art portal isn't so bad. The thing is, those speedpaints should only be accessible through individual submissions (like I mentioned in my last post). I mean, watching a timelapse without first seeing the art piece itself is pretty pointless. That would prevent any portal from being flooded, since you could only view the speedpaint though its respective submission. Having it be a seperate category in the art portal would be kind of redundant, though.

Problem is, we can't really utilize anything on newgrounds for this at the moment. Some people mentioned the Dumping Grounds, but how the heck are you supposed to watch a 5-7 minute video through that. Maybe we could have some sort of option to submit a movie through the project system as an unlisted submission (like youtube's private videos). Then have a place to put a link to that speedpaint in the art submission and there ya go - no more redirecting people to youtube for speedpaints!

So having this some-sort of a sub-portal for the art portal, tailored for speedpaints, would be alright. Then everyone, those who want them and those who don't, would be happy.

Doomroar
Doomroar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art Aug. 18th, 2013 @ 11:29 PM Reply

At 8/18/13 10:35 PM, Archewally wrote: Let me elaborate a little about what I said before.

The idea to have speedpaints in the movies portal was pretty scary at first, because then it would most likely flood the portal, but... having speedlapse/timepaints be available through the art portal isn't so bad. The thing is, those speedpaints should only be accessible through individual submissions (like I mentioned in my last post). I mean, watching a timelapse without first seeing the art piece itself is pretty pointless. That would prevent any portal from being flooded, since you could only view the speedpaint though its respective submission. Having it be a seperate category in the art portal would be kind of redundant, though.

Problem is, we can't really utilize anything on newgrounds for this at the moment. Some people mentioned the Dumping Grounds, but how the heck are you supposed to watch a 5-7 minute video through that. Maybe we could have some sort of option to submit a movie through the project system as an unlisted submission (like youtube's private videos). Then have a place to put a link to that speedpaint in the art submission and there ya go - no more redirecting people to youtube for speedpaints!

So having this some-sort of a sub-portal for the art portal, tailored for speedpaints, would be alright. Then everyone, those who want them and those who don't, would be happy.

This guy has a good idea, but why don't we use the server of movies to host the videos, while these still remain in the art portal and not the one from movies, that of course added to the feature of having the speed paint, tutorial next to the finished piece, we can then filter the search for those that come with a video, without making it a private thing, if i remember someone already had this idea of setting a little camera or play button next to the thumbnails of the images to differentiate them when browsing.

Any way when will we get live-streams so Jazza can start doing his drawing with Jazza and his other new series here instead of YouTube? if i remember NG is even paying him to do it, and is just unfair that in the end YouTube is the one that is getting all the goods.