Respond to this Topic
4urentertainment
4urentertainment
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Game Developer
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 19:20:17 Reply

At 8/16/13 07:12 PM, MindChamber wrote: Though i know this would add more work but it would be cool as a feature only found in the art portal. So within the the authors comments there could be an embed for the speedvideo

That could be really really awesome.

Kind of reminds me of Tom's ideas of wanting to have post-mortems of games in the Lit Portal linked to game submissions, so you'd play the game and if you're interested, you can read about how it was made, developed and how it did, same thing for art in that way.

Lintire
Lintire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 19:48:02 Reply

At 8/16/13 06:50 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 8/16/13 06:31 PM, CankerousKitty wrote: bullshit
Look at his art...

Oops! How much do you know about art?

You need to be an artist to say that? News to me.

Alright then, I'll back him up. You're a cunt, and everything that dude said is a perfectly valid opinion.

Glad we cleared that up, then. Great job, team.

ASpicyStrawberry
ASpicyStrawberry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 19:53:32 Reply

Every Painting that I do is recorded to become a SpeedPaint and I would love it if I could post them here to make it easier for people to find my work.

My YouTube is the same as my profile here: ASpicyStrawberry. YouTube is where I currently upload them all and it's the main thing I do. This would be a perfect addition to Newgrounds, especially for people like me who always do SpeedPaints :)

Squidbit
Squidbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 19:55:19 Reply

Maybe have them in the art portal, that way it wouldn't flood the flash portal and there's also the scouting thing, so it won't be a ton of "spped paint of green sonic!!!"

JimmyTheCaterpillar
JimmyTheCaterpillar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Writer
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 20:00:32 Reply

At 8/16/13 10:29 AM, TomFulp wrote:

Yes, I think that would be kind of neat. However, if it became a problem, maybe you could incorporate the art portal scouting method somehow in order to slow things down and only keep the good stuff.

Did I do good?

SIG BY AMARANTHUS.| I USED TO BE BROKENRECORD6299 AND UNCLECUBONE
| I'm in a band 'n stuff.| Here's some advice on how to be a writer.
I ENJOY CRANBERRY SAUCE. A LOT.

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 20:12:51 Reply

At 8/16/13 07:48 PM, Lintire wrote:
At 8/16/13 06:50 PM, Elitistinen wrote:
At 8/16/13 06:31 PM, CankerousKitty wrote: bullshit
Look at his art...

Oops! How much do you know about art?
You need to be an artist to say that? News to me.

Artist is an umbrella term. I'm a musician. Therefore I'm an artist.

Alright then, I'll back him up. You're a cunt, and everything that dude said is a perfectly valid opinion.

Did you just skim through his stuff and concluded "evurithin dat dud sad is purfectli walid opion"?

Dosensuppen
Dosensuppen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 20:22:27 Reply

I know I would certainly be let down if I put a lot of work into a full fledged animation and was outshined by some famous artist's speedpaint for a spot in the top 5.

"Soup actually isn't a spam crew ... Except for Narcissy, that guy sucks." - ih8dude

BBS Signature
TB1ZZL3
TB1ZZL3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 20:52:17 Reply

Give it its own category in the art portal.

Last.fm | Xbox LIVE - TEE B1ZZL3 | Steam

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 21:29:37 Reply

Maybe put games and movies back together, then use Movies for videos?

original I am.

BBS Signature
NewShape
NewShape
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Writer
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 21:30:08 Reply

Bring back the alphas bro!

It gave a bigger sense of community.

Bryan
Bryan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 21:40:20 Reply

No, I don't think it belongs in the portal.

"Maybe thats why shes in film school. She wants to be an Artistic Autistic." -Viper50
"Everything else you said was mostly garbage and opinionated." -DangerousGirl

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 21:41:38 Reply

At 8/16/13 09:30 PM, NewShape wrote: Bring back the alphas bro!

It gave a bigger sense of community.

I don't know if I was around when the alphas were around, I don't get it, what was it?

original I am.

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 21:50:12 Reply

At 8/16/13 07:48 PM, Lintire wrote: Alright then, I'll back him up. You're a cunt, and everything that dude said is a perfectly valid opinion.

Glad we cleared that up, then. Great job, team.

@cankerouskitty

Alright. Seem like most dicks just skimmed through shits and post for their own goods.

Here is the quote from TomFulp

The big question is whether speedpaint videos will completely flood the Portal and make it harder to find animations. We could consider something that filters them out of the main listings if they become an issue.

So get iron, but kills gold?

Let's add a new category that attracts little people and kill the one that is the main attraction of NG for long time? Fuck logic right? Seems legit.

Noisy
Noisy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 22:24:52 Reply

I think it's useless to add a cathegory to that, it would steal the ranking positions of animators and game makers.

We have the ART seccion. Also, if people want to upload speedpaints (which are useles in THIS site) they can upload them to youtube and post them in their profiles or in the forum!

I don't think it would help anybody :/ (oh, and also consider flooding!)

Read my comic here ,You may like it....The first pages are shit btw

Grub517
Grub517
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 22:24:53 Reply

Awesome idea!

Death-Rig
Death-Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 22:44:22 Reply

It's an interesting question. Although i think maybe they should just be apart of the art portal. Most of the movies we see are have a story line or an interesting philosophy, or just plain hilarious. However if a speed painting were to show up, it would (as you said) fill up the movie portal and most likely not get any views and make it harder for the newgrounds community to watch content that deserves a feature. If ultamately you decide that you put speed paintings in the movie portal, then maybe you can update the website, only allowing artists that have more then 3-5 scouts (more if neccisary) and has uploaded a total of more the 15 art peices, 7 of which that have been given plenty of positive reviews. I for example would not qualify. Hope this helps.

Jess-The-Dragoon
Jess-The-Dragoon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 22:50:05 Reply

I think it's not a good idea. Speedpaints are not flash related most of the time and do not really fall under the movie entertainment category. Maybe you could create a new separate channel on youtube for Newgrounds for this, since youtube now supports multiple channels per account, and put a link here on NG.

thatawkwardkid
thatawkwardkid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 23:40:57 Reply

i dont think speedpaints should be allowed to be in the portal at all, maybe somewhat put them in the art portal?i just feel like once we get a few we will get a shit ton and they will start to take the glory from hard worked on animations

Chongo
Chongo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Voice Actor
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 23:50:45 Reply

I'd say make them a subcategory in the ART channel actually.

Always willing to voice act. Make music in my freetime. That's what I get for not having Flash

Click the pic to see the cool stuff I do on the Youtubes

BBS Signature
Chongo
Chongo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Voice Actor
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-17 00:03:22 Reply

At 8/16/13 11:50 PM, Chongo wrote: I'd say make them a subcategory in the ART channel actually.

Namely because speedpaints aren't meant to entertain as much as be timelapses. Now they're awesome, yes, but they're a completely different catergory than animations. If they're in the art channel, then it will focus more on the art itself than animation.

Always willing to voice act. Make music in my freetime. That's what I get for not having Flash

Click the pic to see the cool stuff I do on the Youtubes

BBS Signature
Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-17 00:14:21 Reply

Type of animation:
Parody
Comedy - Original
Drama
Speed Paint

Why the hell not?

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
Doomroar
Doomroar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Gamer
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-17 01:46:51 Reply

There is plenty of insecurity in the comments and fear, but most of that have plenty of simple solutions.

The submissions can be passed to a subcategory in the art portal, or they can even have a more harsh ranking system so it would require more votes and better ranking to avoid getting blammed, plus being scouted, they can even get filtered.

But i wonder if we could ever get live-streams, well getting the chat working was already quite miraculous haha, but i bet the day we get such a thing people will just say, that NG doesn't needs that, and that they should be using twitch or YT... aren't you all ashamed promoting other pages services? services that this place could perfectly offer? the nerve of you all! while we are on it why don't we pass all the videos to youtube, the games to kongregate, the art to deviant art, the audio to soundcloud, the forums to reddit, and the shop to amazon, i mean fuck Newgrounds all those other pages can get our content, that what they are for anyway.

Carrion
Carrion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-17 02:46:22 Reply

Yes with the speedpainting as long as shadman isn't allowed to participate.

BBS Signature
PoisonHeart
PoisonHeart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-17 03:45:54 Reply

to be fair, why limit this to speed-painting? Why not have a "process" category? wouldn't it be a little insane yeah, to watch someone crank out a game in a five minute video? I've never seen that. Could be interesting...

PS: There's no way a comment without a rating would fly. Critical reception as detailed in reviews is one of the strongest points about the NG Community. Of course that's going to degrade the quality of feedback, here. I personally treasure every rating I get, every review is like a christmas present.

if I wanted comments without ANY feedback or criticism , I'd want people to send me a PM or complain on their own space. Even the reviews that just say "meh" or "COOL GAME" are of value because they include ratings. Then when you get no rating, it makes you think. you have to ask yourself, "why".

I don't understand the value of making comments on a submission without ANY feedback. to be honest, seems rude.

*citation needed

BBS Signature
yundili
yundili
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-17 03:58:08 Reply

At 8/17/13 02:46 AM, Carrion wrote: Yes with the speedpainting as long as shadman isn't allowed to participate.

^ LOL! if speedpainting would be allowed, guess.. shadman would be having a time of his life.

anyway, it seems that a lot of users would agree on allowing speedpainting to ng... and if that's the case, i think it would be much better if speedpainting would be a sub category under art instead of putting it under movies... cuz the latter already has tons of spams already.. x_x i believe that if the former is under the art category, it would also put an exposure to the art submissions (since we all know how the art submissions has less exposure to begin with). though, even atm, im still having a hard time picturing speedpainting here and there on ng.. i hope it wouldnt dominate the ng content and turn out into a total fiasco and clutter/blajdfjasdfglskjd. :/ .......... aaannnddd if tom is asking for a vote... then i would still vote for a no. :s :/

Celx-Requin
Celx-Requin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Artist
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-17 05:19:21 Reply

It sounds like a poor idea...

Watch Shark Black HERE Watch CoolJaw HERE

BBS Signature
CankerousKitty
CankerousKitty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-17 06:16:20 Reply

At 8/16/13 09:50 PM, Elitistinen wrote: @cankerouskitty
Alright. Seem like most dicks just skimmed through shits and post for their own goods.

This coming from the guy who addressed my argument with an ad-hominem.
And pretty apt for what you say next:

Here is the quote from TomFulp
The big question is whether speedpaint videos will completely flood the Portal and make it harder to find animations. We could consider something that filters them out of the main listings if they become an issue.
So get iron, but kills gold?
Let's add a new category that attracts little people and kill the one that is the main attraction of NG for long time? Fuck logic right?

You didn't seem to read the concluding sentence in my post, which was:

At 8/16/13 06:31 PM, CankerousKitty wrote: There were speedpaint vids in the movie portal long before this thread was made, and nobody gave a toss about them. There isn't a flood of people waiting to upload speedpaint vids anytime soon.

I have hunted through the Informative movie section for speedpaint vids, and put "speedpaint" and "timelapse" into the search bar.

These vids are
- Few and far between. You will have incredible difficulty searching for a timelapse vid amongst the wealth of other animations and tutorials in the informative section. They don't clog up the portal because artists don't timelapse every single pic they make.
- The reviewers don't care. Nor do the voters.
- Have been a part of the portal since 2008 - and have never gotten under people's noses up until now, when people who don't browse underjudgement are allowed an opinion on something they have been mostly ignorant about.

Now let's consider stuff that is more like art than a movie, but is in the portal anway.
Tutorials, Art collabs, Dress-up games and other gadgets.
These are separate categories that are few and far between in the portal. Nobody's going to come to NG to watch an art collab, sure, but just because they aren't a movie doesn't mean they kill the portal.

To sum up, this is not a thread about opening the floodgates to speedpaint vids, because for 4+ years there were never any restrictions put in place anyway. And their presence certainly hasn't poisoned the portal.

Seems legit.
Cerafire
Cerafire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Audiophile
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-17 07:54:52 Reply

Sure as hell would be interesting! Sure the portal is for finished works, but in drawings and paintings it's excellent for the artists to understand how the other artist made his work, so as to get a grasp on his/hers technique and use it to improve his/hers own. Funny to see how Newgrounds has evolved since I created an account here 10 years ago, and how much room for improvement there still is!

LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-17 08:30:16 Reply

It would be pretty sweet.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
pinoytoons
pinoytoons
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-17 09:06:49 Reply

i vote "no" . those stuff are considered to belong on the dumping grounds

if people are intersted on uploading their filmed work . then i suggest . you guys should add a revise/improve/update the dumping grounds . perhaps make the dumping grounds visible in the artist profile page

spread the word!!!