00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art

26,495 Views | 144 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 10:29:39

The question has come up recently about whether we should have a Movies category for Speedpainting. Newgrounds is all about creating stuff, so creating Art does fall under that category. For an example, you can check out the speedpaints on Jazza's Drawing with Jazza YouTube channel.

The big question is whether speedpaint videos will completely flood the Portal and make it harder to find animations. We could consider something that filters them out of the main listings if they become an issue. Would you guys like to see more speedpaint art videos and would you like to submit your own?

ALSO:

5 Days Remain to Support these NG Artists on Kickstarter!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 10:34:51

Yes

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 10:36:26

no tom please no

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 10:38:33

I would like to see a category for them added to the portal. Then maybe they could be a subsection of the art portal if they start to flood the movie portal. That way people would have to be scouted for them to show up on the subsection, etc. I see it as another way to organize things and keep it clean.

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 10:45:25

At 8/16/13 10:29 AM, TomFulp wrote: The big question is whether speedpaint videos will completely flood the Portal and make it harder to find animations. We could consider something that filters them out of the main listings if they become an issue. Would you guys like to see more speedpaint art videos and would you like to submit your own?

I actually like those speedpaint videos, adding them as category sounds good to me. I doubt that we would get flooded with them since they take a considerable amount of time to get produced. If it gives Newgrounds artists more exposure, then more power to them, and I think watching those speedpaintings also helps aspiring artists to get an idea what steps they have to take to create great stuff.

To be honest, I think the tons of uploaded tests/betas, be it 1 level platformers or 5 second Madness flashes are more of an issue. I think that there should be a category for those things. Yes, you can upload them to dumpgrounds and link it to the public, but it doesn't get any exposure that way. Something like a testing portal that allows instant feedback and uploads of new versions of the flashes.

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 10:48:10

I don't see why not.

If they begin winning awards left and right maybe people could have issue but honestly I trust NG voters to recognize them for what they are. It it does prove troublesome, it will lose its novelty pretty quick so it won't be an problem forever.

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 10:49:04

Yeah!

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 10:54:37

Yes let's go full Youtube how about we?

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:03:01

I like the idea, but couldn't the Speed Painting genre be added to the Art Portal instead? I know it doesn't normally support movie files, but I feel like it rather belongs there, so maybe it could be worked around.
To me it seems like in the voters do not take genre into consideration in the Movie Portal, and I don't think that there is anything wrong with that as such. But because of this I think that speed paint art and time-lapses wouldn't be recieved that well there, just like trailers usually aren't.

Could be cool though.

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:04:28

At 8/16/13 10:54 AM, squidly wrote: Yes let's go full Youtube how about we?

Hm, I must have missed the part where Tom talked about allowing Let's Plays, Makeup videos, non-animated videogame reviews, videos of funny cats and not to mention the switch to nonsensical "updates" that just move stuff around and add nothing, and so on. Guess my reading abilities are really bad today.

Tuturu~ ♫

Without truth, there is no justice.

Asandir's interviews with Newgrounds forum users

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:05:55

At 8/16/13 10:29 AM, TomFulp wrote: The question has come up recently about whether we should have a Movies category for Speedpainting. Newgrounds is all about creating stuff, so creating Art does fall under that category. For an example, you can check out the speedpaints on Jazza's Drawing with Jazza YouTube channel.

The big question is whether speedpaint videos will completely flood the Portal and make it harder to find animations. We could consider something that filters them out of the main listings if they become an issue. Would you guys like to see more speedpaint art videos and would you like to submit your own?

YES! They're really motivational and a lot of fun. They keep me moving when I get to feeling down or unmotivated.

Filter the hell out of them!

*citation needed

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:15:14

Probably allow speedpainting-vids only in connection with the finished artwork in the art portal ? Would reduce spam and keep the visitors on NG.

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:17:48

I think its creative enough. If we had the NG mag thing, it woulda been cool to tuck that into there and offer artists a way to capture their work in progress like the animator / game dev guys can.

I think im fine with it overall.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:26:42

I'd have to throw in a vote on the "no" side. If people want to throw in their speedpaint videos, they can always do it through their news posts.

I don't think it would add much to Newgrounds. NG is not YouTube and my thought is that it will kill some of the only core advantages that NG has. People don't have to sift through countless off topic videos to find quality animations, games and art from people all over the world. There is no other place to my knowledge on the internet that makes that as easy as on Newgrounds.

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:34:33

God damn I love myself a motherfucking speedpaint video. But they have absolutely no place in the Flash Portal.

If there was some way to upload time lapse illustrations to the Art Portal, and I would be impressed if someone was willing to go to all that legwork for something like this, then there's no way it wouldn't improve that particular portal. It caters directly to the people interested in time lapse videos, adds a lot to the novelty of browsing the portal, and combined with a voting system would be incredibly interesting to watch unfold - people not only deciding quality by how good they think an illustration is, but by how much of a show the artist can make of it.

But in the Flash Portal? No. Fuck no. I would go so far as to say vehemently hella fuck that noise. It's terrible enough that Art Collaboration Flashes are in the games portal (and get mauled as such, which is always sad) and I don't see time lapses turning out any other way.

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:35:07

I do not like the idea. I think there will be too much of them :/ Anyways, thats my opoinion.

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:43:29

I'd vote "No."

NG portals seem to be for "finished" products and the behind-the-scenes, what-went-into-this, and post-mortem categories are what user pages/forums are for. If you're posting in-progress stuff, it's nice to be able to have the back-and-forth conversational ease of the user page. You can also post multiple videos/photos at once and give a more comprehensive look without having to edit it all into a single video.

Currently people can submit sketches, unfinished games/movies, etc. to the portals, but they usually mark them as such and they are voted on accordingly. If NG reaches out and says "hey we consider these legit now!" I think it will mess with the economy of the system too much.

Maybe there could be a main front page pod for featured NG userpage posts. Maybe new userpage posts could show up in our feeds if we're following that person. Maybe userpage posts could go through a rating/portal system like other site content and be searchable, have awards, etc.

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:47:45

Oh , nice question. I would be quite fond of it , i love speedpainting videos. It could even motivate me to create my own. However , dont add them on the movies section. Make it a sub-section of art. Like , give the opportunity to add a speedpainting video when you upload an artwork. Then , if the watcher wishes , he can click a button on the artwork's description and see the video.

Speedpainting videos are mostly considered by people who are already into art. The majority of the members would be annoyed to have them around their favourite flash movies. And besides , a speedpainting is not a directed movie. Its just the process of creation of an artwork. Its amazing and most aspiring artists must watch as many as possible but still , not a mainstream product. Besides if the artwork is not good enough , whats the point of a speedpainting video of it in the portal?

So yeah , i think the best way to do it is to add an option for us , whenever we upload an artwork to include a speepdainting video , like the way we add tags and description. This way i can see the speedpaints i am interested in without having to swim through a sea of unwanted stuff to find them.

Furthermore , this way you keep the balance. Right now you have movies , art and music. If one starts flooding into the other , you will have issues and blurry lines. Who wants to deal with that?

Hope i helped , a little bit even. Cheers!

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:49:29

At 8/16/13 11:34 AM, Lintire wrote: God damn I love myself a motherfucking speedpaint video. But they have absolutely no place in the Flash Portal.

Well I mean, it's not the flash portal anymore, it's the movie portal. As well it should be considering that an awful lot of what's in there isn't done in flash.

I think it's a pretty good idea, but it definitely would clog the portal up. I don't think it would be a terrible plan to just add a new portal entirely for software tutorials, speedpaints, and general "How To" videos relevant to the other portals. It'd be interesting if NG was something of a hub for people to learn how to make games, movies, music, or art as well as sharing what they create.

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:50:23

At 8/16/13 11:03 AM, Hikarian wrote: I like the idea, but couldn't the Speed Painting genre be added to the Art Portal instead? I know it doesn't normally support movie files, but I feel like it rather belongs there, so maybe it could be worked around.

I kinda feel if you start giving the art portal the ability to host videos, there's little distinguishing it from the movie portal apart from the name and the underjudgement/scouting process. The latter would also effect how many people view the video when it's submitted, and the scores it receives.

Art collabs have appeared in the movie portal, so I wouldn't imagine timelapse art is much out of place. Plus the number of timelapse vids that are in the portal are few and far between.

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 11:55:29

At 8/16/13 11:43 AM, BoMToons wrote: I'd vote "No."

NG portals seem to be for "finished" products and the behind-the-scenes, what-went-into-this, and post-mortem categories are what user pages/forums are for. If you're posting in-progress stuff, it's nice to be able to have the back-and-forth conversational ease of the user page.

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 12:01:15

I see no reason not to do it.

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 12:01:25

Speedpaint videos are great :D I wouldn't mind seeing them pop up on NG.

shameless plug

Until then, there are lots of really detailed paintings here ;)

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 12:03:20

If we made Speedpaints part of the Art Portal, it would still use our Movie publishing system to actually get them onto the site. I could imagine something where you use the movie publishing system, but if the genre is Speedpainting, it NEVER actually gets listed alongside movies. Instead, there could be a listing of them in the Art Portal and Art submissions could create a cross-reference to the speedpainting.

HOWEVER, there is a lot more work than meets the eye with making that sort of thing happen. A better solution may be to simply allow video embedding in the Author Commentary, so the artists can embed their speedpaint directly into their commentary box like they could on a blog. This is something we can look at while adding other improvements to the author commentary (like clickable links). In a perfect world, the author commentary and blogs would both share the same rich text editor with a whole host of improved features.

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 12:04:49

Another note - we intend to allow people to append blog posts for projects, so in that case they could also have a blog post with the speed painting, append it to the project, and it would be listed as a related news post on the view page. But really we could just offer both options.

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 12:04:53

no. i think it would just flood ng and just become a nuisance. :s

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 12:05:08

At 8/16/13 12:03 PM, TomFulp wrote: HOWEVER, there is a lot more work than meets the eye with making that sort of thing happen. A better solution may be to simply allow video embedding in the Author Commentary, so the artists can embed their speedpaint directly into their commentary box like they could on a blog.

That

Is actually a pretty sweet idea in and of itself and a more than suitable compromise. I'm up for that. Hell, I'd probably use it.

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 12:13:40

Maybe. Isn't speed-painting a subgenre of general behind-the-scenes content? Couldn't there could be categories for speed-programming, speed-animating and speed-composing using the same logic?

Newgrounds could go down that route. It's conceivable that, underneath each menu item for "Games", "Movies", "Audio" and "Art" there could be an option like "Video Tutorials" or "Learn How!". Speed-painting would find a place as an educational tool.

BBS Signature

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 12:28:50

At 8/16/13 12:04 PM, TomFulp wrote: Another note - we intend to allow people to append blog posts for projects, so in that case they could also have a blog post with the speed painting, append it to the project, and it would be listed as a related news post on the view page. But really we could just offer both options.

Yay! Hopefully people wrote more post mortems and not just "check out this game" posts. Though you'd have to be able to attach the post after publishing the game if you wanna talk about the project's reception.

I'd prefer this for the speed painting as well. I doubt the portal will get clogged with them, but they don't feel like something I could rate higher than a 3. The final art piece would heavily bias the score, so it might as well be in the art portal anyway.

Response to Time-Lapse / Speedpaint Art 2013-08-16 12:38:42

I vote "yes". I'm not into speedpaint videos myself. I prefer to see just the finished artwork, instead of the road towards it. But the average speedpaint video is still better than the average Newgrounds movie, because half of the videos here is either from beginners who don't know how to make good videos yet, or from people who purposely make bad videos (spam videos). Even though I don't like the later two categories either, I'm still fine with the videos being here. Everyone has to learn, and posting your first videos here is a great way to get feedback. Apparently there's a marked for spam videos because they always get accepted. There even are entire groups devoted to these kind of videos. I think there's a market for speedpaint videos as well. This is a creative community with lots of artists and speedpaint videos are a useful way to learn how artwork can be made. I do think they should be categorized into a group (just like there's a spam category), so it reaches the right audience. Another thing I want to point out if it's not too off topic; there seems to be a bias against life action as well. Most are actually not that great, but even the ones that are get through with low ratings. Except when they're made by someone who's already well established on NG. Like Oney with his movie Super Slumber Party. Some people mention in the reviews they think life action isn't allowed on Newgrounds, even though it clearly is. Perhaps a category life action as well, or at least a bit more clarity that it's not against the rules.

BBS Signature