Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
freelance hits and tips please. Aug. 16th, 2013 @ 04:09 AM Reply

hello.

first off forgive me if this is in the wrong place but as it is directed at artists i thought this was the place.

ok well here the thing , ive been a artist and caricaturist for a long time but ive done it with support . now i am about to take the big leap and go self employed as i think this is the only way im going to get employment. i would be very grateful of any hits and tips people could give me ,particularly people from the uk where im from.

thanks

Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to freelance hits and tips please. Aug. 16th, 2013 @ 06:43 AM Reply

First of all go job hunting , dont wait for people to come at you. Browse forums with artistic job offers , promote yourself etc. In time people wll come at you but internet is a shouting contest , if you dont shout out loud your invisible.

Always get paid before you draw unless you are CERTAIN about your client' decency. You are in the risk , not the client. If you decide to be a funnyman and walk away with the money , you are fucked. The client will make sure everyone knows your a thief and just a hint of rumour about you being a thief can decapitate your career. Whose gonna trust you? On the other hand , if the client is a thief , you can do nothing about it. You will waste time and effort working on a piece that you will never be rewarded for. Time and effort= $ , always remember that.

Keep a balanced gallery , dont flood it with your commissioned work only. Make sure you have personal pieces in your portfolio , these are the ones that will attract clients , not the portrait of some guy's grandma.

Be friendly , be humble , dont be an asshole. Before anything we are humans. When someone trusts you with his money and his ideas , he expects that you are at least kind to him. There are tons of other artists and many are better than you , no matter how far you have progressed. The fact that he chooses you is important. Make sure that your attitude will reward his choice. Then , he will come back to you and if someone asks him , he will say "go to this guy , he is a good artist AND a good person" Its not rare for employers to ask past clients of yours their opinion about you. This is not bullshit , its fundamental in marketing. However..

Dont be afraid to say no. Sometimes people ask ridiculous things for ridiculous payment. Sometimes you are too flooded with work that if you take up more , you will just dissapoint clients. And sometimes , you just dont feel like working on the topic you are asked to do. You are not a slave. Dont be arrogant but also , know your worth and demand that the people you are working with aknowledge it aswell.

And get ready for some bitter moments. Life has its ups and downs. They will turn you down , ignore you , sometimes steal you , its all part of the business. Learn how to handle it and move on , keep getting better.

Hope i helped :)

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to freelance hits and tips please. Aug. 16th, 2013 @ 11:01 AM Reply

thanks so much for this advice ,its just how i like things to the point and good advice. i will take note of all you have said thank you.

Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to freelance hits and tips please. Aug. 17th, 2013 @ 07:12 AM Reply

At 8/16/13 11:01 AM, Darthmarius wrote: thanks so much for this advice ,its just how i like things to the point and good advice. i will take note of all you have said thank you.

Im very happy to see you apreciated it! Best of luck to you my friend , i wish you the best!

Darthmarius
Darthmarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to freelance hits and tips please. Sep. 26th, 2013 @ 06:23 AM Reply

You may be also toying with the idea to outsource your web development to freelancers. There’s just one advice to that: “Don’t do it!” .Freelancers are notorious for dropping projects midway citing several reasons or worse, they drop off completely from the radar. Once they have taken the advance, no more is heard from them. There are plenty of scams and con artists in the faceless digital world.

thanks for the advice.