00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kekiiro just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How do you promote yourself?

2,059 Views | 12 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-15 21:07:53

Hey guys, what sup. so basically i have been playing music for like my whole life. i started playing classical guitar at 9 and picked up the electric bass shortly after that. I actually just recently started to write music. and recently, at the beginning of 2013, i started to work with DAW's and have been using soundcloud and newgrounds as a way to share my music. I purchased a recorder as a way to record actually jams and songs that i have written for my instruments, and have been using presonus studio one to edit them, and i am still learning the tricks of the trade. So what i really wanna do is promote my stuff further, and i feel like that is very hard to do. do you guys have any tips?
Thank you.

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-15 21:19:35

Consistency. Constant updates. Create a style or niche for yourself. Choosing a good artist name to be consistent with.
Connections. Getting to know everybody. Integrating on a personal level in terms of musicality.
Collaboration. Working with others. Working even with people not in the same craft as you.

Can't really say I can vouch for any of those because I feel like I don't do any of them! Hooray! But surely if taken with pure motivation, they should work somehow.

BBS Signature

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-15 21:23:14

Live. Shows.
Rinse, Repeat.

Nobody respects anything else.

This is a song about death. It's on mandolin.

Hate is the first step to all solutions.

You will not end bigotry until you learn to hate it.

BBS Signature

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-15 22:19:25

I only do what I know:

1) Facebook.
2) Twitter.
3) Newgrounds.
4) YouTube.
5) Soundcloud.
6) Telling my friends by word of mouth and having them listen.
7) Performing in front of some of them -- although pretty much what I can do involves just pure bodhrán and voice.

While it's been a slow climb up, it has certainly been a climb up.

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-16 05:04:12

At 8/15/13 10:04 PM, Elitistinen wrote: On here or IRL?

On here, I just reviews other with good-will stuff, wait for somebody to give good-will back, and repeat.

As for IRL, I don't...

why you changed avatar man.

btw on topic - if you make good music you won't need a lot of promotion, eventually word will spread etc etc. but remember you can't go on an EDM forum/place and post a classical piece.

gl

SUCK MY KICK

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-16 05:57:58

I agree with everything that's been said. Also, keep doing it. There's no use doing a big push at the beginning and then dropping off after a couple of months, you need to keep getting involved, keeping reminding people about your music, without being too pushy of course (don't try and railroad the conversation).

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-16 06:02:31

Promoting yourself is indeed tough. I'm not one to talk because I have a long, long way to go before I can call myself "popular" but I do have some advice to give you. The secret is being proactive. Do not expect getting exposure to be something you get automatically without you working your ass off for it. Well, I say "working" but some things you have to do to get exposure can be pretty fun anyway, so it may not be as bad as you'd expect.

To get exposure here on Newgrounds at least, contribute to the community. The amount of times I see music artists leaving Newgrounds because they're not getting any recognition is countless, and in many of the cases, I look at their forum posts and audio reviews, etc and I can count them all in two hands. Take part in the forums, give competitions a shot (you have no excuse, I bet this forum focuses on competitions more than any other forum on Newgrounds), review other people with helpful reviews, collaborate, and so on.

I can back up my claim too. I remember when I first joined Newgrounds, I used to occasionally browse through submissions and some particularly helpful reviews I'd find would sometimes have "-Review Request Club-" written under them. After a while, I checked out the forums and the first thing I did was investigate about this Review Request Club. Surely enough, I found a whole thread dedicated to giving reviews to other submissions. I joined, and was active there for something like 2 years, if not more! I can tell you that, other than being a really great experience, it got me more well-known across Newgrounds, got me more people listening to my music, and really refined my sense of musical analysis, which in turn helped me with my own music!

The club right now seems a bit inactive unfortunately; I've been thinking about maybe getting a programmer to code some applications for the club to streamline the member update process, gathering together some reviewers, and asking if I can remake the thread. BUT I DIGRESS.

Hope this helps!

At 8/15/13 09:19 PM, ZipZipper wrote: Can't really say I can vouch for any of those because I feel like I don't do any of them! Hooray!

About that.

Create a style or niche for yourself.

I can say with absolute certainty you manage to pull AT LEAST that one off.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-17 18:11:00

I get most of my hits on soundcloud by having the url in my sig on the forums I frequent. Gaia online tends to bring me listeners. Once you get a few people to follow you, there tends to be a domino effect where their followers will check you out, and theirs and so on. Also, don't limit yourself to music forums. Go into other forums and b.s. with the non-musical population, because everyone listens, but only the makers frequent musician forums. Well, most of the time. It's already been said, but collaborating is a great way too, since that exposes you to a whole other fan base.

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-17 18:39:16

live shows.

that is all.

lel

BBS Signature

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-17 20:08:13

Im very impulsive with my promoting, on the one day i go around posting my stuff on every forum i frequent, the other i couldnt care less about it.

Then again being used to obscurity doesnt push someone much.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-18 20:47:10

I have been attempting to deal with the exact same problem, as today's market is already quite full of every last person who thinks they can make awesome music in their basement and upload it on Youtube, but when someone truly unique arrives on the scene, he finds that it's hard to be heard over all the nonsense.

I personally have devised a relatively innovative scheme: use torrents. There are people all over the world downloading music 512 kb at a time, so why not upload yours to the registry? I made a torrent of all my music and already have a person downloading it. Once they download it, the amount of seeders should double, and with adequate promotion you could at least get your name out to a large amount of people. Conceivably.

If you want to see what I tried, check out this link.

http://thepiratebay.sx/torrent/8826503/Laces_Lawless_Discography_AUG__13_-_GIVING_AWAY_ALL_MY_MUSIC__

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-19 13:47:00

Just eat alot of taco bell and try to stealth as many bank heists as you can on Pay Day 2

Response to How do you promote yourself? 2013-08-19 19:09:01

As @FUNKbrs and @Sequenced said... Play live gigs.

To elaborate... WHILE you are at these gigs...

a. Play your heart out to the crowd
b. Be friendly and mingle with other artists after the show
c. Speak with other artists about playing with them again
d. Speak with the booking agent or whoever happens to be in charge about playing again
e. If anyone in the crowd talks to you, drive a conversation with them (Don't do this... "Wow, great set dude!" "Oh thanks! See ya!"...)
(Do this... "Wow, great set dude!" "Hey thanks! You know I'm playing again on xx/yy. If you are free you should come out. What kind of music are you into?)
f. Don't bail when you go to gigs after your set is done. Completely disrespectful.
g. Go to shows and support other local artists even if you aren't playing. Continue to mingle.
h. At shows hand people fliers. If you have a demo, bring a friend with you to run a mini merch booth and either sell the demos or give them away if anyone expresses interest.

Promoting yourself in real life is how you will create a loyal, consistent fan base that you have a truly meaningful connection with. Voice is something like 70% more persuasive than text, so use it.

Never stop creating.

Discord

Links

BBS Signature