00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Twinspurr just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Blue Nessie

1,710 Views | 15 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The Blue Nessie 2013-08-15 17:32:14

Hello audio forum!

A few months ago, I came around these parts looking for some guidance and advice on getting a new microphone. I've been using a logitech gaming headset for a few years, and while it doesn't do a half bad job, I figured it was time to get a new, proper mic. While asking around for feedback, a few users suggested the Nessie, a microphone from the Blue company that was in development and to be released soon. I did some research into it and it looked pretty good, so I decided to hold out for it.

A few weeks ago the mic was released for sale, and just last week it was available at Best Buy Canada. So I picked one up, and now I'll take you through an unboxing of it, giving a bit of a rundown on the features, test it out, provide some audio samples, and give a general review of my thoughts of it.

So first off, this is the box that the Nessie comes in. Look at how sleek at fancy it looks. Is it like that inside? Let's take a peek.

The Blue Nessie

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-08-15 17:38:16

Okay, so what do we have inside the box?

Nothing too extreme, just the mic, a usb connection cable, and ooh, a user guide, fancy.

Let's take a closer look at this mic though, shall we?

The Blue Nessie

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-08-15 17:50:32

Pretty sleek looking mic, if I do say so myself. Has a good bit of weight right in the base as that's metal, although the rest of it is made of plastic.

The Blue Nessie

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-08-16 13:00:02

Looks good. Good luck with it. Looking forward to hearing the results.

BBS Signature

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-08-16 13:20:23

I dont really care if it sounds good or not, its beautiful *.*
But seriously xD When you test drive the thing post it :D

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-08-16 16:21:38

At 8/16/13 01:00 PM, SourJovis wrote: Looks good. Good luck with it. Looking forward to hearing the results.

I'll get to that, just gotta run through the special features it offers, then I'll get to the audio portion.

At 8/16/13 01:20 PM, DivoFST wrote: I dont really care if it sounds good or not, its beautiful *.*

It really is a sexy beast, isn't it.

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-08-16 17:34:46

At 8/16/13 01:20 PM, DivoFST wrote: I dont really care if it sounds good or not, its beautiful *.*
It really is a sexy beast, isn't it.

Yeah. Though I still think it should've been blue, and shaped more like the monster of Loch Ness. Bit of a disappointment.

BBS Signature

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-08-18 16:29:26

As we move onto the features that this microphone offers, we take a closer look at the base of the device.

On the front is a mute button for the microphone, which is just a quick and easy way to do that instead of muting the input on your recording device on whichever program you are using. Also, the base of the mic lights up when it's plugged in, and when you mute the mic the light flashes, offering an easy indicator.

Also, the base also functions as a volume dial for your headphones if you choose to plug them into the microphone. You can plug your headphones in? Yes, yes you can. There's a plug on the back of the device for that.

The Blue Nessie

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-08-18 16:38:13

Turning the mic 180 degrees, we see what the back offers.

As I just mentioned, here is the auxiliary jack for your headphones. Personally, I probably won't be using these, as my external computer speakers have a headphone jack, but it's still a nifty little inclusion.

But the real piece de resistance of this microphone is what's underneath the jack. It's a toggle for the multiple recording modes that the Nessie can perform. From left to right, the modes are voice mode, music mode and raw mode.

Voice mode uses the mic's built in processors to clean up your vocal recordings, adjusting to voice levels variations and reducing harsh sounds. Music mode is designed to capture your instrument in a more natural and detailed. The final mode, raw mode, offers no modifications, just capturing your audio exactly as your record it, so you can do your own audio processing.

The Blue Nessie

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-08-18 16:49:30

This sounds like an infomercial. I cant really see the purpose of this over the yeti since that has dropped to the same price point. The Nessie must be more or less the replacement for the regular Yeti with a few extra bells and whistles (namely the DSP). Its designed for super simplistic set ups but has no upgrade or future investment potential.

Snowflake, Nessie, Yeti Pro will be the order of things from cheapest to most expensive. The regular yeti will probably fall off the market or get super cheap. Not sure which yet.

I personally suggest to people to save their money for an interface so that you can always add to the system and select from an infinitely larger pool of microphones (including those from Blue). Much more future potential and quality going that route.

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-08-18 16:52:58

So, remember that interesting shape that the neck of the mic is in?

SURPRISE MOTHERFUCKERS!

There's actually a built in secondary neck that you can untuck from the main neck, allow for you to be able to pivot the head of the microphone, tilting it up or down as per your own needs. Handy!

So, that's it for the physical features of the mic. Next up with be some recording demos trying out the different modes, and comparing it to what I was using before for voice recording.

The Blue Nessie

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-08-18 17:02:58

At 8/18/13 04:49 PM, Breed wrote: This sounds like an infomercial. I cant really see the purpose of this over the yeti since that has dropped to the same price point. The Nessie must be more or less the replacement for the regular Yeti with a few extra bells and whistles (namely the DSP). Its designed for super simplistic set ups but has no upgrade or future investment potential.
Snowflake, Nessie, Yeti Pro will be the order of things from cheapest to most expensive. The regular yeti will probably fall off the market or get super cheap. Not sure which yet.
I personally suggest to people to save their money for an interface so that you can always add to the system and select from an infinitely larger pool of microphones (including those from Blue). Much more future potential and quality going that route.

This isn't an informercial, nor am I trying to sway anyone's opinions, nor am I even endorsed by Blue. I'm just giving some feedback on a new mic that's just hit the market, and sharing it with the audio forum, since a few users suggested this to me in the past. I'm just returning with what I'm learning so that people can actually have a bit of information on what to go from if they are interested in looking towards the purchase of a new microphone.
Sure, this probably might not be the way to go if you want to go about things professionally, but if it's just for a hobby, as I am doing, then I don't see any issues with it.
Also, your comparisons about the cost being comparable to the Yeti is only correct in some instances. While it may have reduced in price to those levels in the United States, here in Canada, the Yeti is still a much higher cost, with Best Buy Canada listing the original Yeti at about $180 and the professional model for $250. The Snowball is actually, also going for $100, the same price as the Nessie. So from a cost perspective, the Nessie is definitely a good option.

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-09-11 20:37:10

So I finally got off my ass and found some spare time to record the comparison between my old Logitech headset (bare and cleaned) and my new Nessie mic.

Sounds like a big difference to me.
Next up would be to check out the musical recording potential.

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-09-11 20:53:10

The improvement is vast. If you're comfortable with effects then I'd suggest recording without DSP and adding the effects yourself for a more personalized higher quality sound.

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-09-11 21:00:39

At 9/11/13 08:53 PM, Breed wrote: The improvement is vast. If you're comfortable with effects then I'd suggest recording without DSP and adding the effects yourself for a more personalized higher quality sound.

Might have to give that a whirl when I become more comfortable with it. Thanks for the advice.

Response to The Blue Nessie 2013-09-12 21:16:54