00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Jay Reviews!

7,939 Views | 86 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Jay Reviews! 2013-11-01 12:19:01

At 10/31/13 07:16 PM, Jay wrote:
At 10/29/13 10:01 PM, J-Rex wrote: I have a guess but assuming you don't want anyone to know I will just patiently wait for you to release the video itself.
Finally it's here, the Halloween Review that I've been toiling away at for quite some time now!

Unlike the organ trail playthrough you said you would delay until Halloween, just saying!

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Response to Jay Reviews! 2013-11-01 12:22:13

Not bad for a start. I would say the usual things such as "get a better camera" and "put this on your blog, not the forums". However JonTron got quite a bit of his fan base from Newgrounds when he posted his first video here as well. Also a better camera would be nice, but practically every reviewer started off with a bad camera in one way, shape or form. Nobody will really care what camera you use, as long as your sound quality is good, and your sound quality is good.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2013-11-01 19:45:22

At 11/1/13 12:19 PM, Ragnarokia wrote:
At 10/31/13 07:16 PM, Jay wrote: Finally it's here, the Halloween Review that I've been toiling away at for quite some time now!
Unlike the organ trail playthrough you said you would delay until Halloween, just saying!

You're right, I did say that. But to be honest I had completely forgotten about it, my head's mostly been in college-related stuff as of the late...

At 11/1/13 12:22 PM, The-Great-One wrote: Not bad for a start. I would say the usual things such as "get a better camera" and "put this on your blog, not the forums". However JonTron got quite a bit of his fan base from Newgrounds when he posted his first video here as well. Also a better camera would be nice, but practically every reviewer started off with a bad camera in one way, shape or form. Nobody will really care what camera you use, as long as your sound quality is good, and your sound quality is good.

I'm glad that you found it decent. The camera issue is one that I'm just going to have to deal with for a while, I haven't got much spending money at the moment. But I'll try to improve in every other area as much as possible. If anything I actually had to rush this video a bit because Halloween was coming way faster than I had anticipated. So it's good to see there were no noticeable problems in that regards, except perhaps some of my dialogue coming off lackluster because lack of time to do more takes.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-04-03 00:22:33

Hey guys, just thought I'd give an update for anyone that may be interested to what's going on with Jay Reviews.

First off, I'd like to say that I definitely haven't given up on it. My main reason for the lack of updates is that I've just been too busy with my college classes to really focus on doing game reviews, as they take a lot of time and work to produce.

That being said, I'd like to reveal that I've been working on a new review for a while now. I've just been chipping away at it here and there whenever I've had the free time and the inspiration to do so. I just didn't want to reveal that there was a review in the works until I was confident enough that it was nearing completion. It still has quite a bit of work to do, but I feel comfortable enough now to say that it's "coming soon", haha.

Another awesome thing to note is that I've finally gotten a new camera! Capable of filming in 720p and everything! Although I still need to fix my lighting issues, so the upgrade in visual quality may not be immediately noticeable at the moment.

Anyway, I hope that those of you interested in my reviews are looking forward to the next one as much as I am looking forward to finishing it. Thanks for the patience!

Here's a little preview :D

Jay Reviews!

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-09 02:39:01

So, after 7 months I finally finished a new review: Mad Max (NES)

As you may notice, this is my first review to be filmed with my new camera! Although I'm still practicing with cinematography in general, and slowly getting better with lighting, the improvement in quality over my older videos is substantial.

Another thing to note is that this is a different review than the one I had been working on previously. The reason I stopped working on that one is because I realized that the lighting on many of the live action parts were pretty bad, and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it at the moment even though it's already about halfway finished.

That's about it for now. I'm going to be trying to do more reviews this Summer since I only have one class, and a lot more free time than usual. I notice that this thread has been pretty dead lately, which makes sense since I haven't made a new review in 7 months, but I'm anticipating any feedback or suggestions that you guys may have. Enjoy.

Jay Reviews!

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-09 18:50:15

At 6/9/14 02:39 AM, Jay wrote: but I'm anticipating any feedback or suggestions that you guys may have. Enjoy.

Uploading / recording more of our Lps and the organ trail etc!

BBS Signature

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-10 03:53:28

At 6/9/14 10:48 PM, Zachary wrote: Mad Max review was boss as hell

I found it relaxing, which was good.

BBS Signature

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-10 16:42:38

Mad Max actually looked really interesting and I'm so happy you tried giving it a fair shot, figuring out the whole scavenging side to it. That review felt complete.

I'm kind of sad that it was just an NES game and was probably limited by it's hardware so we could never see the full potential of a Mad Max game.

First blood! First topic of 2010!

KC Green has just won my heart.

Kogey made a sig, but it was too much for me to handle.

BBS Signature

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-10 20:58:56

I actually really like these, dude. Your relaxed attitude is such a nice contrast from the game review people you normally see. If I had to give some sort of constructive criticism, it'd be that audio change in the live action bits can be a bit jarring. Trying to figure out a better mic set-up for that and reducing the echo would definitely help it feel more "professional".

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-10 23:28:46

you seem to be doing good.
keep it up i like it

"Did I ever tell you what the definition of insanity is?

was her name tenneassi

omtish

BBS Signature

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-11 05:15:07

At 6/9/14 10:48 PM, Zachary wrote: Mad Max review was boss as hell

Ye, thanks mang.

At 6/10/14 03:53 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: I found it relaxing, which was good.

As long as it's not boring :P

At 6/10/14 04:42 PM, Rad wrote: Mad Max actually looked really interesting and I'm so happy you tried giving it a fair shot, figuring out the whole scavenging side to it. That review felt complete.

I'm glad you think so, there was one more level that I had left out, but I don't think it was worth mentioning really.

I'm kind of sad that it was just an NES game and was probably limited by it's hardware so we could never see the full potential of a Mad Max game.

Yeah, I agree. Apparently there's a new Mad Max game coming, I just found out about it. Hopefully it works out well.

At 6/10/14 08:58 PM, Oolaph wrote: I actually really like these, dude. Your relaxed attitude is such a nice contrast from the game review people you normally see. If I had to give some sort of constructive criticism, it'd be that audio change in the live action bits can be a bit jarring. Trying to figure out a better mic set-up for that and reducing the echo would definitely help it feel more "professional".

I'm glad that you like it, and I'm happy that my reviews are coming off as at least somewhat original. I know what you mean with the audio stuff, and I'm trying my best to deal with it, but even the most professional game reviewers have at least somewhat of a difference between live action and gameplay audio. But yeah, I'll keep trying to improve as I go on, thanks for the feedback.

At 6/10/14 11:28 PM, kazumazkan wrote: you seem to be doing good.
keep it up i like it

Thanks, if I keep getting feedback like this, then I might have to make these reviews a more regular thing :P

At 6/11/14 12:05 AM, Vnzi wrote: Dude, you're voice is pretty damn calming, almost like ASMR in a light sort of way. I'm used to my reviewers being loud and chaotic, but this was a nice chance of pace.

Wow, thanks, haha. I just discovered what ASMR is recently, and that's surprising to hear. I keep getting responses that say they like the "relaxed" feel to my reviews, so that makes me happy, as long as it doesn't come off as boring or unemotional. It's just how I am really.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll try to improve as I go on. And hopefully my next review won't be too far away.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-11 05:42:52

You sound very... un-excited.

Honestly, this whole 'review a retro game' schtick is as old as 'scream at a scary game,' well, technically older since AVGN but you get the idea.

I don't know why people don't realize that AVGN and The Nostalgia Critic are IT, go find something else, if you want a lot of views pick up a brand spankin new release and be one of the first to do a playthrough or something.

Click the Squid -> 🦑

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-11 19:42:58

At 6/11/14 05:42 AM, squidly wrote: You sound very... un-excited.

Honestly, this whole 'review a retro game' schtick is as old as 'scream at a scary game,' well, technically older since AVGN but you get the idea.

I don't know why people don't realize that AVGN and The Nostalgia Critic are IT, go find something else, if you want a lot of views pick up a brand spankin new release and be one of the first to do a playthrough or something.

It's true that there's probably more people reviewing retro games now than ever, but I'm not attempting to be the next AVGN or Nostalgia Critic. It's not just a "shtick", I legitimately love playing older games, and reviewing comes naturally when I feel inspired enough. The whole reason I started reviewing is because I played this game Kick Master that I had never heard of before but really enjoyed. I never really heard anyone else talk about it before, so I decided to review it.

When it comes to newer games, I'm just not into them. I haven't been caught up with modern games for years, and my main interest is in older games. I'm not really not expecting to get a million views from this, it's just something that I put a considerable amount of work into and I actual feel content doing. And best of all I'm actually happy with the result, which is rare for me when looking at anything I make. That being said, of course I'd like to have more people view my videos, that could be said of anyone putting work into what they do, but I'm not going to change what's natural for me to do so.

I do appreciate your feedback. But I'm probably going to stick with older games for the most part. Although that's not as limiting as it sounds. Playstation or Dreamcast for instance would definitely not be out of the question. And who knows, maybe I'll be inspired by a newer game one day and decide to review it.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-11 20:23:31

At 10/31/13 07:16 PM, Jay wrote:
At 10/29/13 10:01 PM, J-Rex wrote: I have a guess but assuming you don't want anyone to know I will just patiently wait for you to release the video itself.
Finally it's here, the Halloween Review that I've been toiling away at for quite some time now!

Splatterhouse

I hope you guys enjoy it, and I hope you have a Happy Halloween!

More reviews to come!

Huh somehow the original Trilogy does the Horror aspect a lot more better than then the new 2010 reboot, It's not just a mindless plethora of repetitive violence.In a way you could say Say the series was Kind of inspired by the Evil Dead movies.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-18 20:57:25

At 6/11/14 08:23 PM, argile wrote: Huh somehow the original Trilogy does the Horror aspect a lot more better than then the new 2010 reboot, It's not just a mindless plethora of repetitive violence.In a way you could say Say the series was Kind of inspired by the Evil Dead movies.

Yeah, I've only really played the first two Splatterhouse games, but they were both very fun and challenging.

So, here's a quick update. I plan on reviewing two SNES games in the near future. Not together, but two separate videos. The first one I just got in the mail today, so I'm going to start playing it and I'll hopefully confirm that it's reviewing material so I can start on it. The other one, I'm still trying to get my hands on.

So look forward to that. You can go ahead and guess what the games are, but I usually like to keep what I'm reviewing a secret :P

Jay Reviews!

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-19 18:31:04

At 6/18/14 09:58 PM, Monster-64 wrote: How many games do you (think you) have?

That's a good question that I'm actually curious about myself. I don't have the largest game collection out there, but it's pretty decent I think. I'll have to go through my NES/SNES games and get back to you.

Also, I've started on my next review. I hope to finish it relatively soon.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-23 02:27:44

New Review: Cutthroat Island (SNES)

This is a game that I personally owned as a kid, and it frustrated the hell out of me. So why did I decide to go back to it? Was it nostalgia? I think it was more of an attempt to finish what I started all those years ago. Anyway, I hope you enjoy. Feedback, suggestions, and even requests, are all welcome.

Expect another SNES review in the near future. (Hopefully)

Jay Reviews!

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-23 21:59:10

It's pretty good, but if I had to nitpick, the controller things don't make sense.

When the camera cuts to you and the controller, you push buttons, even if it's like a credits screen or something, which is odd.

Also, sometimes you're not even looking at the screen, but rather, the controller.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-23 22:01:00

At 6/23/14 02:27 AM, Jay wrote: New Review: Cutthroat Island (SNES)

This is a game that I personally owned as a kid, and it frustrated the hell out of me. So why did I decide to go back to it? Was it nostalgia? I think it was more of an attempt to finish what I started all those years ago. Anyway, I hope you enjoy. Feedback, suggestions, and even requests, are all welcome.

Expect another SNES review in the near future. (Hopefully)

This one was pretty good, Jay. It was calming and I really enjoyed it. Reviews are a done idea, but you do it differently.

For example, AVGN sets an angry mood, as does the Nostalgia Critic. JonTron sets a chaotic, somewhat goofy mood.

But your reviews set a calming, relaxed mood, which is something not really done in game reviews. Everyone's trying to be hilarious instead of reviewing actual content, nice job!

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-25 02:44:12

At 6/23/14 09:59 PM, Albert-Capone wrote: It's pretty good, but if I had to nitpick, the controller things don't make sense.

Yeah, there are little things here and there I notice while editing, but just have to work with since everything has been recorded already. Once in a while I'll have to re-record in the middle of editing after realizing I'm missing something vital, but usually I don't like to. I guess when the button pressing, I just get excited or something, I'll work on it.

At 6/23/14 10:01 PM, Albert-Capone wrote: This one was pretty good, Jay. It was calming and I really enjoyed it. Reviews are a done idea, but you do it differently.

For example, AVGN sets an angry mood, as does the Nostalgia Critic. JonTron sets a chaotic, somewhat goofy mood.

But your reviews set a calming, relaxed mood, which is something not really done in game reviews. Everyone's trying to be hilarious instead of reviewing actual content, nice job!

I'm glad that you enjoy my review style, and I appreciate the feedback. As for the Cutthroat Island Review, I'm actually pretty happy with how it turned out. Thanks for watching, there should be more coming soon.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-25 02:46:21

At 6/25/14 02:44 AM, Jay wrote: Yeah, there are little things here and there I notice while editing, [but just have to work with]?? since everything has been recorded already. Once in a while I'll have to re-record in the middle of editing after realizing I'm missing something vital, but usually I don't like to. [I guess when the button pressing]??, I just get excited or something, I'll work on it.

Man, I butchered that first paragraph with typos. Rereading it, it sounds like I'm foreign or something.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-06-25 12:50:39

At 6/25/14 09:30 AM, tyler2513 wrote: Hmmm...never noticed this thread before. But you've got quite the set of interesting videos here. I'm subscribed :)

Awesome, I'm glad you found the thread. Now there's one more reason for me to keep making reviews.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-07-03 02:52:13

New Review: Uniracers (SNES)

Another SNES game, this time one that I had never heard of before. This one was actually suggested to me by Urban-Champion. So don't be afraid to give out suggestions of your own, who knows I might end up reviewing it.

I still have to figure out what I'm going to review next, but if all goes well you should expect another video in the near future. Thanks for watching!

Jay Reviews!

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-07-28 00:32:44

New Review: MK Mythologies: Sub-Zero (N64)

Whew, this is a big one guys. Well it's the most work and time I've put into a review to date, mostly because I couldn't bare playing it for more than maybe an hour at a time. If I had to list the Top 10 Worst Games I've ever played, this one might just be on it. Anyway, enough of me rambling, enjoy the review.

As always I'm open to feedback, suggestions, and requests. I've noticed that this thread hasn't been very active, so I've been questioning if I should even bother updating anymore. I guess I'll see if I get any posts between this and my next review and decide from there.

Jay Reviews!

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-07-28 02:45:57

I am almost certain I rented this Sub-Zero game from a video game store for about 5 dollars of my parents own money and I played it for about 5 mins and quit. This game sucks donkey dick.

Jesus Christ the one True God of Love and Peace.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-07-29 22:54:11

At 7/28/14 02:45 AM, TheKlown wrote: I am almost certain I rented this Sub-Zero game from a video game store for about 5 dollars of my parents own money and I played it for about 5 mins and quit. This game sucks donkey dick.

I feel sorry for any kids that wasted their time and money renting this game for the weekend. Apparently the Playstation version actually had cheesy live-action cutscenes whereas the N64 one just had pictures and text. But that doesn't add too much when the game itself is such a pain to play.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-07-31 07:30:01

At 7/29/14 10:54 PM, Jay wrote:
At 7/28/14 02:45 AM, TheKlown wrote: I am almost certain I rented this Sub-Zero game from a video game store for about 5 dollars of my parents own money and I played it for about 5 mins and quit. This game sucks donkey dick.
I feel sorry for any kids that wasted their time and money renting this game for the weekend. Apparently the Playstation version actually had cheesy live-action cutscenes whereas the N64 one just had pictures and text. But that doesn't add too much when the game itself is such a pain to play.

The Sega Megadrive version was likely the worst, Here is a good video to showcase it for some reason it was ported by media pirates onto the Sega Megadrive because...............well there must have been a reason that someone had to do it.

BBS Signature

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-07-31 23:02:03

At 7/31/14 07:30 AM, Ragnarokia wrote: The Sega Megadrive version was likely the worst, Here is a good video to showcase it for some reason it was ported by media pirates onto the Sega Megadrive because...............well there must have been a reason that someone had to do it.

Oh wow, I had no idea that this even existed. Looking at the gameplay, I sorta wish I would have mentioned it in my review. And the fact that it says "Mortal Kombat 5" (Oh sorry "Combat") for no good reason is amusing as well.

At 7/31/14 02:53 PM, Monster-64 wrote: I'm glad to see it's not taking you 3 days to make these reviews, I can definately tell you're working very hard!

Thank you! I really appreciate the kind words, and believe me I wish I could make one of these things in just a few days. I can say that there should be a review coming in a week or so, if things go as planned. So look forward to that.

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-08-07 01:04:58

You should play more classic NES games from the 1990s like Kick Master. Those are always fun to learn about. I hear Felix the Cat is cool. You could do a whole review of it in black and white like the old cartoons.

Jay Reviews!

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Jay Reviews! 2014-08-07 20:32:05

At 8/7/14 01:04 AM, ZJ wrote: You should play more classic NES games from the 1990s like Kick Master. Those are always fun to learn about. I hear Felix the Cat is cool. You could do a whole review of it in black and white like the old cartoons.

I love Felix the Cat! And I've been looking for an excuse to do a review in black and white. Unfortunately the Felix the Cat NES game is one of the more sought after NES games out there. It's not crazy rare or anything, but I don't know if I can justify dropping the cash on it at the moment, at least not at eBay price. If I ever get money from my videos, I'll be sure to put some of it towards getting some cool games to review. But I doubt that's gonna happen anytime soon, so until then I'll just keep my eyes peeled for a copy out in the wild.

In other news, there's a new review coming out tomorrow. So look forward to that.

And yes, there's a reason why I picked that specific date to release a review.