ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 26th, 2013 @ 03:03 PM Reply

At 7/26/13 02:42 PM, johnfn wrote:
At 7/26/13 01:19 PM, ZipZipper wrote: I just wanna know for sure if this is my fault...I think I've done most of what I can do on my end and I've come to the conclusion that since running on a Mac OS X stops me from updating things past a certain point
No, an OS upgrade is unnecessary. I'm running OSX Lion and everything works fine on my end. Try Chrome?

Fun fact, Chrome is one of those things I can't update anymore because I'm on OS X 10.5.8 which I think is still regular Leopard...ugh...well I didn't think an upgrade was necessary either, but I suppose upgrading would be the easier solution anyways? Am I obsolete alreadyyyy nooooooo!!!!!

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 26th, 2013 @ 03:43 PM Reply

At 7/25/13 11:38 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote:
At 7/25/13 10:21 PM, mandog wrote:
At 7/25/13 10:13 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote:
At 7/25/13 09:31 PM, mandog wrote:
At 7/25/13 07:33 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: I was wondering if you could use media goblin
I don't think so, the current media player was built by the Newgrounds staff using Flex, to my knowledge.

And can someone fix this.
Flex is under an open source license https://www.mozilla.org/MPL/1.1/FAQ.html
Though I think Newgrounds should do a Kickstarter/Indiegogo to go Open Source.
Yes it is, so? what does that have to do with anything and Newgrounds going open source? why would they release their own player so Youtube can steal it (like every other NG idea).
The only way Newgrounds can compete with youtube is by going open source http://prism-break.org/
Freedom is one thing google is not going to do. They are extremely afraid of AGPLv3

No they're not, google is the most used website, they aren't afraid of shit, and what are you fucking talking about Newgrounds going open source? the website? the music player? everything they have is there own they don't need to do anything other than update the site and make it better!

original I am.

BBS Signature
Master-X
Master-X
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 26th, 2013 @ 04:37 PM Reply

At 7/26/13 02:15 PM, Calamaistr wrote: @Tomfulp

Since today i no longer see the points table, neither on audio nor on flash, the thing with the 0 till 5 voting is what i mean (wich gives you points every day to get a cooler picture under your name).

Has that been removed or is it a bug?

I didnt change anything on my end.

Did you try pressing "play"?

And GhostWriterNext needs to stop infesting the forum with his crap.

It's time to get pissed off.

Igmon
Igmon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Game Developer
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 26th, 2013 @ 06:12 PM Reply

In case anyone was wondering why we did that, we're trying to make NG more accessible to different platforms. And if you were to view a flash game in an iPad, we don't want people down-voting things because they aren't compatable. The simplest way to handle that was to hide the vote bar until the content was successfully embedded.

It also doubles as a slight deterrent to people who just 5/0 shit without even watching it. If you have content set to automatically play in your portal preferences you probably won't even notice the vote bar is ever gone.

Oh, I really like that! It also helps with Unity 3D devs when they get 0 stars for people not wanting to download the plugin :P

deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 26th, 2013 @ 06:43 PM Reply

I am still not getting anything.
I am on a C64 and it's OS is commador basic kernal.
Maybe there is something wrong with my cradle modem?
:lulz

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
GhostWriterNext
GhostWriterNext
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 26th, 2013 @ 06:56 PM Reply

No they're not, google is the most used website, they aren't afraid of shit, and what are you fucking talking about Newgrounds going open source? the website? the music player? everything they have is there own they don't need to do anything other than update the site and make it better!

People pay for freedom http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mbs348/diaspora-the-pers onally-controlled-do-it-all-distr
Google is afraid of AGPL

PsychoGoldfish
PsychoGoldfish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 26th, 2013 @ 08:33 PM Reply

At 7/26/13 06:43 PM, deathink wrote: I am still not getting anything.
I am on a C64 and it's OS is commador basic kernal.
Maybe there is something wrong with my cradle modem?
lulz

Make sure the 128k memory expansion cartridge is firmly inserted into the back of your C64 when you turn it on. This latest update is pretty memory intensive.

Arch-Angel likes this sig!

BBS Signature
Warlord-of-Noodles
Warlord-of-Noodles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 26th, 2013 @ 09:22 PM Reply

So I was futzing about in one of my old videos and noticed that a video that I had set to be and mp4 on all devices had reverted back to the swf. Now I don't like the swfs and I when to turn it back to the mp4 and I cannot find where I can change it. And neither can I delete the swf option. How might I go about doing either of those now? Or can I not anymore? I have a distinct impression it has something to do with this latest update, I have scoured for a similar question by someone else but I cannot find one, So I'm giving up and asking.

ramsmash102
ramsmash102
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Gamer
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 07:58 AM Reply

Sweet. Makes my life a little easier.

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 09:34 AM Reply

At 7/26/13 06:56 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: People pay for freedom http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mbs348/diaspora-the-pers onally-controlled-do-it-all-distr
Google is afraid of AGPL

How can Newgrounds go open source and with what? elaborate.

original I am.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 12:31 PM Reply

I use both Chrome and Firefox and have encountered no issues. Disabling voting before the content has loaded seems kinda... pointless? Especially with an auto playback option in our settings. All I really see coming from that is less people voting in the portal, which correct me if I'm wrong, but we DON'T want.

You can argue the quality of one's vote per mass spam of 0's and 5's, but pro-longing the under judgement phase of a submission is never a positive feature for any website. Sorry I can't offer a golden answer to resolve the problem, but I don't particularly feel this update made a significant dent either.

BBS Signature
Lizzardis
Lizzardis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 09:34 PM Reply

Any chance of a mobile site for NG including the BBS making forum browsing and replying easier for those who's phones don't exactly format the desktop version of NG very well?

GhostWriterNext
GhostWriterNext
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 28th, 2013 @ 09:31 PM Reply

At 7/27/13 09:34 AM, mandog wrote:
At 7/26/13 06:56 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: People pay for freedom http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mbs348/diaspora-the-pers onally-controlled-do-it-all-distr
Google is afraid of AGPL
How can Newgrounds go open source and with what? elaborate.

https://diasporafoundation.org/
This explains better than me. In short make the site content under CC-BY. Currently Newgrounds is Copyright 1995-2013 Newgrounds, Inc. All rights reserved. Here is the creative commons site https://creativecommons.org/ notice at the bottom it says Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. Replace your current player with media gobin http://mediagoblin.org/ .Put all your site code except some of it like your server login information and place where user's password are stored under GNU AGPLv3. Also currently you cannot license animations under Creative Commons and Games under Creative Commons with the code under either GPL,AGPL or MIT. Add that ability .Also add CC0 license.

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 28th, 2013 @ 10:05 PM Reply

At 7/28/13 09:31 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: https://diasporafoundation.org/
This explains better than me. In short make the site content under CC-BY. Currently Newgrounds is Copyright 1995-2013 Newgrounds, Inc. All rights reserved. Here is the creative commons site https://creativecommons.org/ notice at the bottom it says Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License. Replace your current player with media gobin http://mediagoblin.org/ .Put all your site code except some of it like your server login information and place where user's password are stored under GNU AGPLv3. Also currently you cannot license animations under Creative Commons and Games under Creative Commons with the code under either GPL,AGPL or MIT. Add that ability .Also add CC0 license.

1. Newgrounds shouldn't go open source because a website cannot go open source

2. There player is better than media goblin

3. Nobody is going to come to the site because it has a different copyright

original I am.

BBS Signature
GhostWriterNext
GhostWriterNext
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 28th, 2013 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 7/28/13 10:05 PM, mandog wrote:
At 7/28/13 09:31 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: https://diasporafoundation.org/
1. Newgrounds shouldn't go open source because a website cannot go open source

2. There player is better than media goblin

3. Nobody is going to come to the site because it has a different copyright

A whole website can't go open source but parts of it can't

Why do you say there player is better have you seen the features?

Funny thats why I go to Jamendo https://www.jamendo.com/

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 29th, 2013 @ 01:34 PM Reply

At 7/28/13 11:34 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote: A whole website can't go open source but parts of it can't

Why do you say there player is better have you seen the features?

Funny thats why I go to Jamendo https://www.jamendo.com/

You don't know how a fucking business works, I am sure a 15+ year company knows more than you do.

original I am.

BBS Signature
GhostWriterNext
GhostWriterNext
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 29th, 2013 @ 05:29 PM Reply

At 7/29/13 01:34 PM, mandog wrote: You don't know how a fucking business works, I am sure a 15+ year company knows more than you do.

Tell that to microsoft.

NuclearInfected
NuclearInfected
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Audiophile
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 29th, 2013 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 7/24/13 01:49 PM, PsychoGoldfish wrote: In case anyone was wondering why we did that, we're trying to make NG more accessible to different platforms. And if you were to view a flash game in an iPad, we don't want people down-voting things because they aren't compatable. The simplest way to handle that was to hide the vote bar until the content was successfully embedded.

Yeah about that. It is possible to view flash on an iPhone/iPad. You just need a special browser from the app store. It does cost a few dollars, but it might be something worth looking into.

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 29th, 2013 @ 08:20 PM Reply

At 7/29/13 05:29 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote:
At 7/29/13 01:34 PM, mandog wrote: You don't know how a fucking business works, I am sure a 15+ year company knows more than you do.
Tell that to microsoft.

Earns more than you in an hour

original I am.

BBS Signature
GhostWriterNext
GhostWriterNext
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 29th, 2013 @ 10:03 PM Reply

At 7/29/13 08:20 PM, mandog wrote:
Tell that to microsoft.

There are dying a slow death aka android,iphone OS and ubuntu. Bug no 1 is finally over. Windows 8 was the end of Microsoft's era.

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 01:19 AM Reply

At 7/29/13 10:03 PM, GhostWriterNext wrote:
At 7/29/13 08:20 PM, mandog wrote:
Tell that to microsoft.
There are dying a slow death aka android,iphone OS and ubuntu. Bug no 1 is finally over. Windows 8 was the end of Microsoft's era.

That is not how it works, remember Windows ME?, Windows Vista? yeah, exactly, Windows always releases a shitty product before they release a good one.

original I am.

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 07:29 AM Reply

At 7/26/13 09:22 PM, Warlord-of-Noodles wrote: So I was futzing about in one of my old videos and noticed that a video that I had set to be and mp4 on all devices had reverted back to the swf. Now I don't like the swfs and I when to turn it back to the mp4 and I cannot find where I can change it. And neither can I delete the swf option. How might I go about doing either of those now? Or can I not anymore? I have a distinct impression it has something to do with this latest update, I have scoured for a similar question by someone else but I cannot find one, So I'm giving up and asking.

I randomly checked a few of your movies that precede this year... not an mp4 among them :| Hope one of the staff can account for this!

Those mp4 files should still be there, somewhere on the server, right?! Or does NG have the option, to stream swf files as mp4's?

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 07:33 AM Reply

Mouse cursor vanishes on flash page in Safari browser.

Specs: Macbook May 2009 13"
OSX: Mountain Lion 10.8.4
Intel 2 duo core 2.13ghz
2 gigs of ram
9400m 256mb card

Sometimes when I'm watching a flash animation on my Macbook, the cursor disappears entirely.

I'll try explaining it better since some of you might have thought i meant something different. When I play flash videos on the page my cursor will disappears from the browser all together and thats for videos that won't allow me to go full screen. I don't know why that would do that but i'm assuming its a glitch in the operating system.

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

GhostWriterNext
GhostWriterNext
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 07:59 AM Reply

At 7/30/13 01:19 AM, mandog wrote: That is not how it works, remember Windows ME?, Windows Vista? yeah, exactly, Windows always releases a shitty product before they release a good one.

But now bug number 1 is over which was end windows dominance.Its an actual bug by the way.

mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 09:46 AM Reply

At 7/30/13 07:59 AM, GhostWriterNext wrote:
At 7/30/13 01:19 AM, mandog wrote: That is not how it works, remember Windows ME?, Windows Vista? yeah, exactly, Windows always releases a shitty product before they release a good one.
But now bug number 1 is over which was end windows dominance.Its an actual bug by the way.

Again, Windows ME and Windows VIsta, they were the worst OS's ever, and Windows always comes out on top.

original I am.

BBS Signature
Warlord-of-Noodles
Warlord-of-Noodles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Animator
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 09:53 AM Reply

At 7/30/13 07:29 AM, VicariousE wrote:
At 7/26/13 09:22 PM, Warlord-of-Noodles wrote: So I was futzing about in one of my old videos and noticed that a video that I had set to be and mp4 on all devices had reverted back to the swf. Now I don't like the swfs and I when to turn it back to the mp4 and I cannot find where I can change it. And neither can I delete the swf option. How might I go about doing either of those now? Or can I not anymore? I have a distinct impression it has something to do with this latest update, I have scoured for a similar question by someone else but I cannot find one, So I'm giving up and asking.
I randomly checked a few of your movies that precede this year... not an mp4 among them :| Hope one of the staff can account for this!

Those mp4 files should still be there, somewhere on the server, right?! Or does NG have the option, to stream swf files as mp4's?

Oh I see them there in the project editing view. I can't switch the computer viewing option to mp4. I assume the mobile devices can still watch them as mp4's, since seeing them and mp4 was the original default back when the mp4's started and I assume everything just got defaulted. I don't know for sure though. I'd settle for being able to delete the swfs.

GhostWriterNext
GhostWriterNext
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 11:29 AM Reply

At 7/30/13 09:46 AM, mandog wrote:
At 7/30/13 07:59 AM, GhostWriterNext wrote:
Again, Windows ME and Windows VIsta, they were the worst OS's ever, and Windows always comes out on top.

Its the first time windows has lost there dominance infact steam on Linux was probably the final blow.

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 12:09 PM Reply

At 7/30/13 09:53 AM, Warlord-of-Noodles wrote: Oh I see them there in the project editing view. I can't switch the computer viewing option to mp4. I assume the mobile devices can still watch them as mp4's, since seeing them and mp4 was the original default back when the mp4's started and I assume everything just got defaulted. I don't know for sure though. I'd settle for being able to delete the swfs.

We still have the data for people who set MP4 to be their default in web browsers, but that feature is currently disabled. It will be returning as an ability to drag your files up and down in the list, so you can drag your MP4 above your SWF, at which point the SWF is basically a backup on the server in case we want to make a 4K version some day or something crazy... When that launches it should prefill with the old data.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
Ectisity
Ectisity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 12:16 PM Reply

I think there might be a bug with publishing games. when i first upload my game i can't replace the file i've uploaded. it shows like the file is replaced but when i go to preview nothing has changed saw some other guys that had the same problem

Rainbow Stream
Send me a Pm if you want your track reviewed :).
Ectisity - Previously known as enochcity

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Publishing Update Jul. 30th, 2013 @ 01:36 PM Reply

At 7/30/13 12:16 PM, enochcity wrote: I think there might be a bug with publishing games. when i first upload my game i can't replace the file i've uploaded. it shows like the file is replaced but when i go to preview nothing has changed saw some other guys that had the same problem

Do you hit the re-publish button after uploading? If it's not that, also try clearing your cache... Let me know if that doesn't solve it either!

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature