New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sekeido
Sekeido
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Respect the originals 2013-07-13 14:25:46 Reply

We should discuss artists who took good music, renamed it, and got somewhere doing it and help people find the original songs and whatnot.

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-13 16:23:50 Reply

At 7/13/13 02:25 PM, Sekeido wrote: We should discuss artists who took good music, renamed it, and got somewhere doing it and help people find the original songs and whatnot.

Yo... Vanilla Ice stole the fuck out of Queens under pressure. That extra note? It's actually the first note of the second measure with a new beat on top to give off the illusion that vanilla ice is an original artist with original ideas.

Silly thread is silly. Yall is silly. Silly silly.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Sielumetsien
Sielumetsien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-13 16:52:38 Reply

OP and the rest of musicians on this world stole idea from cavemen! So unoriginal!

Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-13 17:36:41 Reply

At 7/13/13 04:52 PM, Sielumetsien wrote: OP and the rest of musicians on this world stole idea from cavemen! So unoriginal!

Bach should slap us all.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

Nitrocore
Nitrocore
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-13 20:03:09 Reply

Barry Manilow - Could It Be Magic - Chopin Prelude Op. 28 No.20 in C Minor

Also a lot of "Warmen" stuff sounds like Bach and Salieri, as well as some early Children of Bodom stuff.

SpartanFight
SpartanFight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-13 20:43:26 Reply

At 7/13/13 07:28 PM, Corbetto wrote: One of Avicii's most well known tracks, 'Fade into darkness' is essentially a house version of 'Perpetuum Mobile' by the Penguin cafe orchestra.

Everything Avicii does is stolen from somewhere, the guy is creative as a goose. Not to mention hes greasy as fuck.

AxTekk
AxTekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-14 16:59:26 Reply

Is it just me or does "Don't you worry child" by Swedish House Mafia make anyone else thing of "It's too late to apologise" by One Republic? That shit gets right under my nails, I swear.

Sielumetsien
Sielumetsien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-14 18:29:09 Reply

At 7/14/13 04:59 PM, AxTekk wrote: Is it just me or does "Don't you worry child" by Swedish House Mafia make anyone else thing of "It's too late to apologise" by One Republic? That shit gets right under my nails, I swear.

Yeah and most One Republic's punchy songs were ripped off from Immediate Music.

Nothing is original. End of story.

CapnCoconuts
CapnCoconuts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-14 22:14:32 Reply

At 7/14/13 09:09 PM, Absilentia wrote: anyone who does more covers than originals is not a real musician. i don't care who tries to argue on that, because it is a fact.

And you've just used the No True Scotsman fallacy. According to the American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition, a musician is "One who composes, conducts, or performs music, especially instrumental music." That definition does not exclude covers. If one mostly writes covers, mostly conducts cover, or mostly performs covers, they are still a musician. They might not necessarily be a good musician, but a musician nonetheless.

Recent Audio: Nuclear Winter | Nuclear Holocaust | Don't Wait Until Night

tries to be a gentleman; doesn't always do a very good job

jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-15 00:00:26 Reply

At 7/13/13 05:36 PM, Calamaistr wrote:
At 7/13/13 04:52 PM, Sielumetsien wrote: OP and the rest of musicians on this world stole idea from cavemen! So unoriginal!
Bach should slap us all.

``````````````````````````````````

Interesting concept, but I think he means to say that in the "modern" era so called "performers" are stealing work that successful musicians had already accomplished.

but yeah... Bach would kick our asses...

~J

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-17 07:57:40 Reply

At 7/15/13 12:00 AM, jaysummers759885 wrote:
At 7/13/13 05:36 PM, Calamaistr wrote:
Bach should slap us all.
``````````````````````````````````

Interesting concept, but I think he means to say that in the "modern" era so called "performers" are stealing work that successful musicians had already accomplished.

but yeah... Bach would kick our asses...

~J

Well, I at least have one area of music where I won't risk getting kicked in the rear for using in my pieces, unless for the wrong reasons.

*coughcoughplainchantcough*

There's a fine line between saying it's a cover of something else, and stealing someone else's work and outright calling it your own.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
TheBigWhiteVan
TheBigWhiteVan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-19 23:32:44 Reply

You want original? You asked for it.

• My Dick Your Dick
    My Dick Your Dick by TheBigWhiteVan

Make me feel good

Score
    2.75 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Experimental
    Popularity

Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Respect the originals 2013-07-19 23:56:53 Reply

At 7/13/13 08:03 PM, Nitrocore wrote: Barry Manilow - Could It Be Magic - Chopin Prelude Op. 28 No.20 in C Minor

Also a lot of "Warmen" stuff sounds like Bach and Salieri, as well as some early Children of Bodom stuff.

to be fair most of that stuff is public domain, and can be used as people see fit. I'm arranging Chopin Etude in Eb Min Op.10 No.6 for Woodwind Quintet and can do so freely because it is public domain. the arrangements and recordings of these pieces are not public domain, however. I think it is quite cool they use these pieces in their songs because it means they actually listen and like the music. but, i digress.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature