Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 07:49 AM Reply

Chicago 'mayhem' prompts politician to call for National Guard

The onslaught of gun crime in Chicago has spurred members of Congress to convene a summit on urban violence and prompted a state lawmaker to demand the National Guard be called in to stop the âEUoemayhem.âEU

âEUoeEvery single day we wake up in the city of Chicago, some child, some young adult, some African-American male has been murdered,âEU state Rep. Monique Davis said Thursday. âEUoeThis is not acceptable.
âEUoeIâEUTMm hearing from mothers that they are afraid to go outside,âEU she said. âEUoeHospitals are overburdened with 70 gunshot wounds in one day. Ambulances are so busy people are driving victims in their own cars.âEU

Davis held a press conference this week to ask Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn to call in National Guard âEUoeto protect our children so they can go to the park and swim and play and have a childhood.âEU She said the governor has not responded.

Source

how about instead you loosen gun laws and allow the average Gun ownership and Concealed carry which the State of illinois has yet to do by the Supreme Court, self defense is the best deterrent against this instead of letting criminals think they can do what they please against innocent citizens.

Korriken
Korriken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 10:02 AM Reply

one thing that could be done would be identify the root of the problem, locate gang hideouts, go in with swat teams and wipe them out, go in, arrest them, if they brandish weapons, shoot them.

once the gang problem is handled, the crime rate will drops considerably. identify gangs and bring them down.

I'm not crazy, everyone else is.

Iron-Hampster
Iron-Hampster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 10:38 AM Reply

advise people to stay in doors, let the gangsters kill each other off. nothing of value was lost.

ya hear about the guy who put his condom on backwards? He went.

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 12:29 PM Reply

At 7/12/13 10:02 AM, Korriken wrote: once the gang problem is handled, the crime rate will drops considerably. identify gangs and bring them down.

I agree. Though I believe that civilians should have the right to defend themselves it won't solve the violence problem. Carrying a handgun is not going to deter violent criminals that murder other violent criminals. I'd also imagine that most of the crimes are committed against other gang members willing to illegally carry weapons so changing concealed carry laws will do very little, if anything to address this specific problem.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 02:16 PM Reply

At 7/12/13 12:29 PM, Entice wrote:
At 7/12/13 10:02 AM, Korriken wrote: once the gang problem is handled, the crime rate will drops considerably. identify gangs and bring them down.
I agree. Though I believe that civilians should have the right to defend themselves it won't solve the violence problem. Carrying a handgun is not going to deter violent criminals that murder other violent criminals. I'd also imagine that most of the crimes are committed against other gang members willing to illegally carry weapons so changing concealed carry laws will do very little, if anything to address this specific problem.

Chicago has very tough gun laws and is the what.. second highest gang population? I'd say knowing the legal citizens the pray on (Smash and grab, robberies etc) were also armed would force them to at least focus even more heavily on eachother.

Grimdalus
Grimdalus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 02:17 PM Reply

At 7/12/13 10:38 AM, Iron-Hampster wrote: advise people to stay in doors, let the gangsters kill each other off. nothing of value was lost.

I agree with you on that one.

"The revolution is not an apple that falls when it is ripe. You have to make it fall."- Che Guevera

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 02:30 PM Reply

At 7/12/13 02:16 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Chicago has very tough gun laws and is the what.. second highest gang population? I'd say knowing the legal citizens the pray on (Smash and grab, robberies etc) were also armed would force them to at least focus even more heavily on eachother.

Oh I agree, I just don't think it will solve the problem by itself.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 02:38 PM Reply

At 7/12/13 02:30 PM, Entice wrote:
At 7/12/13 02:16 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Chicago has very tough gun laws and is the what.. second highest gang population? I'd say knowing the legal citizens the pray on (Smash and grab, robberies etc) were also armed would force them to at least focus even more heavily on eachother.
Oh I agree, I just don't think it will solve the problem by itself.

Oh then we agree on that entirely, but I don't like the idea of the national guard being deployed to get shot at by bangers who are high out of their mind.

Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 03:10 PM Reply

Yes, there's lots of gun violence and so obviously gun control laws are the reason for it. These gangs are purposefully getting guns illegally to kill people to protest the gun control laws and there is no other reason for it, like you know poor security in crowded low income housing projects letting in alot of violence and illicit activites, or rampant poverty making drug dealing more appealing. The solution should be to let citizens own guns so they can fire back and cause more violence, or you know these gang members will realize that gun control laws are gone and will tone down the gun violence in their shear gratitude.

At 7/12/13 10:02 AM, Korriken wrote: one thing that could be done would be identify the root of the problem, locate gang hideouts, go in with swat teams and wipe them out, go in, arrest them, if they brandish weapons, shoot them.

once the gang problem is handled, the crime rate will drops considerably. identify gangs and bring them down.

Um gangs don't have hideouts? They don't say live in special buildings they're just a group of people who live in normal housing. You also have to convict them of something or else you're just going around killing people arbitrarily.......

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 04:45 PM Reply

Um gangs don't have hideouts? They don't say live in special buildings they're just a group of people who live in normal housing. You also have to convict them of something or else you're just going around killing people arbitrarily.......

Crack houses// dens
You ever hear of the projects? That is basically a giant gang "hide out" in areas with alot of gang violence.

Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 06:16 PM Reply

At 7/12/13 04:45 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Crack houses// dens

I never felt those were gang hideouts.

You ever hear of the projects? That is basically a giant gang "hide out" in areas with alot of gang violence.

Exactly, the full name is "public housing projects". They're buildings built and subsidized by the government so that low income people can have housing. I mention these, the problem is that they've been left to rot, there's no security and the people in them are poor meaning they're havens for crime. Chicago has the worst of it all since they were built as large apartment complexes and they've been tearing them down and sending the residents elsewhere.

"If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
Entice
Entice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 11:58 PM Reply

At 7/12/13 04:45 PM, Ceratisa wrote: You ever hear of the projects? That is basically a giant gang "hide out" in areas with alot of gang violence.

Yeah I don't think it would go over very well if the National Guard raided an entire housing project. Like Warforger said they have to actually arrest them for a crime. How would they separate the gang members from everyone else there?

HollowedPumkinz
HollowedPumkinz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 13th, 2013 @ 02:11 AM Reply

At 7/12/13 07:49 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: how about instead you loosen gun laws and allow the average Gun ownership and Concealed carry which the State of illinois has yet to do by the Supreme Court, self defense is the best deterrent against this instead of letting criminals think they can do what they please against innocent citizens.

I'm all for the 2nd amendment and self defense, especially in an area where the likelihood of your house getting broken into is very high, but dude I don't think changing gun laws is going to fix everything. I mean, its a good start but hardly what the root of the problem is. The problem is, and has been, the creation, permeating and propagating of the Ghetto Culture, something sold to many many blacks as something that is their culture, it has also coaxed Hispanics and certain whites and Asians into the same thing, no culture is truly safe from the "Ghetto Culture" where they form gangs based on race with their own cultural niche in it. Cholos, Yakuza, Gangstas and the occasional white gang, and I'm sure there's more. Children growing up in the lower classes of these cultures, turning to crime and trying to fit in.

No other culture has been so permeated by this than the Blacks of this country. So much so that some might even think of it as just a part of their culture, like violence, theft and gangs are a part of their ancestry and heritage. So it comes to no surprise that places with low income mostly Black neighborhoods are overrun with gang related activities and violence. It's something the younger black children thought they were suppose to do, because they saw that their friends did it and some of their family did it. It became morally OK to join in on and promote violence and break the law. And they grow up and get better at it and influence others. If I had a nickel for every little black kid who's first initiation crime involved them stealing from a gas station that coin would no longer be in circulation.

What we need to do is not continuously fight their gangs, but go after the children, the ones most at risk. We give schools better funding, we try harder to keep kids in school, no matter how bad they are, expulsion isn't an option, its an easy scapegoat for them and easy way out so they can focus on becoming like their older "friends". We need to instill in them that what they have seen on the streets is not OK, it is not a part of anybody's cultural heritage or background and they are not doomed to the roles of their less fortunate neighbors simply because they were born black and in a poor neighborhood.

We can not allow excuses to fly, parents to get lazy, have the children suffer as they coast on their welfare and food stamps.The number one purpose of their government should be to help those suffering parents, and those suffering kids by removing obstacles rather than providing aid that provides excuses more than necessities. We need to wake up and realize where this is all starting from and how we can prevent it and it starts with kids.

Do not look upon a black kid in a hoodie and think him a punk and a criminal, guilty by your eyes before any jury's, do not hold contempt for these braves lost souls but do not pity them either, rather, encourage them. Remind them of their worth and what they are capable of rather than enforcing a role on them that was long before them molded to fit what society expected of a young black kid in a shitty neighborhood, no father, worse yet, abusive father, crying mother, apathetic eyes that stare into theirs and see lost dreams swept up into the whirlwind of reality. But do not cry for a lost soul, just shine a light and lead them back.

Even as I walk through the shadow of the Valley of Death, I shall fear no Evil. Semper Fidelis

BBS Signature
laughatyourfuneral
laughatyourfuneral
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 14th, 2013 @ 02:59 PM Reply

At 7/12/13 10:02 AM, Korriken wrote: one thing that could be done would be identify the root of the problem, locate gang hideouts, go in with swat teams and wipe them out, go in, arrest them, if they brandish weapons, shoot them.

or you legalize drugs and root the gangs out by removing their source of profit and reason to kill one Another.

by all means... ask

BBS Signature
Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 14th, 2013 @ 11:27 PM Reply

At 7/14/13 02:59 PM, laughatyourfuneral wrote: or you legalize drugs and root the gangs out by removing their source of profit and reason to kill one Another.

And have them move on to human trafficking? No thanks.

randomperson23
randomperson23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 15th, 2013 @ 12:39 AM Reply

First, google search ccw in Illinois and tell me what you think of the results.

Second, martial law in chicago I think is not likely to happen, but if that does happen, it may be the final push on this nation, and if that happens, then we will see civil war 2.

Drug free is how life is meant to be.

randomperson23
randomperson23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 15th, 2013 @ 12:40 AM Reply

At 7/14/13 11:27 PM, Camarohusky wrote: And have them move on to human trafficking? No thanks.

Human trafficking is already horrible.

randomperson23
randomperson23
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Reader
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 15th, 2013 @ 12:42 AM Reply

At 7/15/13 12:40 AM, randomperson23 wrote:
At 7/14/13 11:27 PM, Camarohusky wrote: And have them move on to human trafficking? No thanks.
Human trafficking is already horrible.

I meant horrible enough as it is.

Aliendude2
Aliendude2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 15th, 2013 @ 12:59 AM Reply

Having the gun laws changed to allow civilians would allow them to at least protect their own homes as well as themselves and their children while the city waits for a reply by the governor regarding federal troops being deployed to handle the issue on violence.

The pros of going into Marshal Law is that the National Guard would be heavily armed and protected and have the training necessary to defend themselves from ambushes as well as gang members who are attacking with less powerful weapons and who have little to no protection (unless they try to stuff items in their clothing) If the gang hideouts are found and destroyed the gangs would have little to no ability to form a tactical response and counter attack, especially against an overwhelming force of Federal troops. Once the violence falls to a point where people aren't dying in large numbers per day the National Guard will turn control over to the City Police and hopefully people will be allowed to live safe normal lives. Having the Chicago Police force be better armed and trained to handle these situations will also drastically decrease the amount of violence and can be done during Marshal Law.

The cons however are that if the gang members were to take down a group of the soldiers they would have access to powerful weapons and equipment that can have it so that they have the ability to cause further harm to the already damaged city.
This however may prove hard to accomplish due to the fact they'd have little training in how to use whatever equipment they steal, and the simple fact that if the platoon were to be somehow overwhelmed they would call for back up, which in a war time situation would respond fairly fast to neutralize the threat that is presented to their comrades.

All in all the city asking for Federal help is a sign that the mayor and government is taking actions to have the people in the city stop being in a bad situation and may in fact be a good thing.

Ranger2
Ranger2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 17th, 2013 @ 11:37 AM Reply

This is bullshit. I work in Chicago, I've been there yesterday and the day before, and I didn't see any National Guard or riots.

aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 18th, 2013 @ 01:40 AM Reply

At 7/12/13 07:49 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: how about instead you loosen gun laws and allow the average Gun ownership and Concealed carry which the State of illinois has yet to do by the Supreme Court, self defense is the best deterrent against this instead of letting criminals think they can do what they please against innocent citizens.

Do you really understand what's happening in Chicago, because I've seen a documentary on the subject where local gangs were interviewed. That's the issue, that gangsters, criminals can EASILY get guns, and do so. Then they use these weapons to kill each other and sometimes innocent people get caught in the cross fire. The issue that needs to be addressed is the gangs and the widespread poverty and failed housing measures that spawn them. Not gun laws...but go ahead, please continue to be a right-wing stereotype that every time you hear about guns being used in widespread violence insist that arming everybody somehow stops or solves the violence...

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 18th, 2013 @ 10:34 PM Reply

At 7/12/13 06:16 PM, Warforger wrote:
At 7/12/13 04:45 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Crack houses// dens
I never felt those were gang hideouts.

Exactly, the full name is "public housing projects". They're buildings built and subsidized by the government so that low income people can have housing. I mention these, the problem is that they've been left to rot, there's no security and the people in them are poor meaning they're havens for crime. Chicago has the worst of it all since they were built as large apartment complexes and they've been tearing them down and sending the residents elsewhere.

They aren't taken care of because that would bankrupt places like Chicago. There are situations where they will smash holes into walls so they can evade the police. (Lock the door, go next door through the wall evade capture)
Not to mention people who don't belong there get shot at. You couldn't pay me enough as a security personnel to work in those areas, and what would they honestly be able to do? They'd get shot if they tried to control the gang members.

Honesty question, could you see yourself willingly working in that environment as security?

Camarohusky
Camarohusky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Movie Buff
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 18th, 2013 @ 11:33 PM Reply

At 7/18/13 10:34 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Honesty question, could you see yourself willingly working in that environment as security?

Blackwater does it in Iraq. Give enough leeway and enough money and you'll have a very strong security force.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 18th, 2013 @ 11:58 PM Reply

At 7/18/13 11:33 PM, Camarohusky wrote:
At 7/18/13 10:34 PM, Ceratisa wrote: Honesty question, could you see yourself willingly working in that environment as security?
Blackwater does it in Iraq. Give enough leeway and enough money and you'll have a very strong security force.

You can't be serious, are you comparing Blackwater with some low paid security officer who wouldn't have any actual authority to the gangs he'd be trying to run, he'd get shot.

Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 19th, 2013 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 7/18/13 10:34 PM, Ceratisa wrote: They aren't taken care of because that would bankrupt places like Chicago. There are situations where they will smash holes into walls so they can evade the police. (Lock the door, go next door through the wall evade capture)

That's my point, they've rotten away and have attracted alot of crime. The problem is that innocent people who've done nothing live there as well and really don't have a choice in that, and there's still the problem with convicting people. That doesn't mean that you can just walk in there and it's like an action movie where all the gang members hide out.

Not to mention people who don't belong there get shot at. You couldn't pay me enough as a security personnel to work in those areas, and what would they honestly be able to do? They'd get shot if they tried to control the gang members.

Honesty question, could you see yourself willingly working in that environment as security?

Exactly, security is impossible in those area's.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature
NordicThunder88
NordicThunder88
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Art Lover
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 21st, 2013 @ 09:55 PM Reply

Bring out the coffins!

Martial Law in Chicago!

Irish till I die, I'm Irish till I die I knowm I am I'm sure I am, I'm Irish till i die

Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 22nd, 2013 @ 06:59 PM Reply

At 7/18/13 01:40 AM, aviewaskewed wrote: Do you really understand what's happening in Chicago, because I've seen a documentary on the subject where local gangs were interviewed.

don't worry everyone we have a expert here!

That's the issue, that gangsters, criminals can EASILY get guns, and do so.

in a state that already restricts gun ownership. so far only the police and criminals have firearms and not the law abiding citizens. hell you can't even carry a TASER in illinois for self defense! and you expect people to trust the police to protect them in a country where police arrival takes than to get a pizza?

so how can this democrat state have strict gun control measures yet still have skyscraper crime?!

Then they use these weapons to kill each other and sometimes innocent people get caught in the cross fire.

its more than "sometimes" in Chicago.

The issue that needs to be addressed is the gangs and the widespread poverty and failed housing measures that spawn them. Not gun laws...but go ahead, please continue to be a right-wing stereotype that every time you hear about guns being used in widespread violence insist that arming everybody somehow stops or solves the violence...

yes and they've tried wasting millions of dollars on awareness programs and special programs for the poverty and the area is still derelict! if people can at least be allowed to defend themselves the crime would go down because now the criminals and gangs KNOW that would be victims can retaliate ( not like SYG). its a detterent and it works great in other states.

Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:24 PM Reply

At 7/12/13 07:49 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
how about instead you loosen gun laws and allow the average Gun ownership and Concealed carry which the State of illinois has yet to do by the Supreme Court, self defense is the best deterrent against this instead of letting criminals think they can do what they please against innocent citizens.

That wouldn't work in this case.
See, it would work like this, since the environment is already saturated with "bad guys".
Gang member will get killed by shop owner/home owner/etc
Gang members will come back and murder the person who murdered their gang member to show an example and for revenge.

Best solution in this case would be to improve infrastructure, education, and create a surplus of jobs, with a good percentage of those jobs being above minimum wage.

BBS Signature
Revo357912
Revo357912
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:28 PM Reply

At 7/22/13 08:24 PM, Revo357912 wrote:
At 7/12/13 07:49 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote:
That wouldn't work in this case.
See, it would work like this, since the environment is already saturated with "bad guys".
Gang member will get killed by shop owner/home owner/etc
Gang members will come back and murder the person who murdered their gang member to show an example and for revenge.

Best solution in this case would be to improve infrastructure, education, and create a surplus of jobs, with a good percentage of those jobs being above minimum wage.

Oh, and forgot to mention, after the above is done or being done (at the very least, once there is a surplus of jobs), then arm citizens or at the very least allow them to defend themselves legally

BBS Signature
Warforger
Warforger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Martial Law in Chicago! Jul. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:30 PM Reply

At 7/22/13 06:59 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: yes and they've tried wasting millions of dollars on awareness programs and special programs for the poverty and the area is still derelict! if people can at least be allowed to defend themselves the crime would go down because now the criminals and gangs KNOW that would be victims can retaliate ( not like SYG). its a detterent and it works great in other states.

That's assuming the average citizen is a bad ass action hero. Most of the time when legal guns are used to hurt people it's usually against the user themself, on purpose. Having legal guns increases the suicide rate because they're pretty dependable suicide machines. Any other method like trying to overdose on drugs isn't as dependable and takes more time, hell Kurt Cobain tried OD'ing until he just killed himself with a shotgun. Most suicides are spontaneous anyway, people just simply decide at that moment to do so, usually if they don't they stop thinking about it, so having less legal guns available for these people would make the suicide rate go down. Either way, I'm going to assume the person who feels they need a gun is going to get it illegally anyway.

Although I don't know what you mean "works great in other states", Red states still have gang crime and higher rates of overall crime so I don't know what you're talking about.

" - Barry Goldwater.

BBS Signature