AxTekk
AxTekk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 03
Musician
Response to Your biggest composing peeve? Jul. 14th, 2013 @ 04:56 PM Reply

My biggest peeve is when kicks. I mean, it's a drum right? It's only going to be used for one song in like one place and it's not even carrying pitch (unless I get some distorted 909s cooking). So why does it demand such attention? This is true for dance, dnb, dubstep and hiphop (boombap, westcoast AND trap). And it kills me.

I like what everyone's saying about transcribing the music in their head, I'd say I've gotten reasonably good at that though. What kills me is not being able to recreate the sounds in my head.

BlazingDragon
BlazingDragon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Your biggest composing peeve? Jul. 14th, 2013 @ 11:43 PM Reply

At 7/14/13 09:07 PM, Absilentia wrote: all of you are just not true musicians. if you were a true musician, you wouldn't post about the struggles you have, nor would you reply with your own issues like a bitch.

Says the person with no music uploaded. How cute. <3

At 7/14/13 04:56 PM, AxTekk wrote: I like what everyone's saying about transcribing the music in their head, I'd say I've gotten reasonably good at that though. What kills me is not being able to recreate the sounds in my head.

I know, there are so many musicians out there who don't know any theory,blah blah blah. But really, this is where theory and ear training are REALLY helpful. I'm still far from where I'd like to be, but studying harmony has made it a lot easier to know what is going on in my head and get it out to where other people can hear it.

Openwounds
Openwounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Your biggest composing peeve? Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 12:03 AM Reply

At 7/14/13 11:43 PM, BlazingDragon wrote:
At 7/14/13 09:07 PM, Absilentia wrote: all of you are just not true musicians. if you were a true musician, you wouldn't post about the struggles you have, nor would you reply with your own issues like a bitch.
Says the person with no music uploaded. How cute. <3

bahahahahahahahhaha!!!! This guy.. he's hilarious. Obviously hasn't written that much music.

At 7/14/13 04:56 PM, AxTekk wrote: I like what everyone's saying about transcribing the music in their head, I'd say I've gotten reasonably good at that though. What kills me is not being able to recreate the sounds in my head.
I know, there are so many musicians out there who don't know any theory,blah blah blah. But really, this is where theory and ear training are REALLY helpful. I'm still far from where I'd like to be, but studying harmony has made it a lot easier to know what is going on in my head and get it out to where other people can hear it.

I have very little theory.. mostly know note values, time signatures, some terms regarding how music should be played, 3rd, 5th, 7th harmonies etc.. but no scales. I gotta say.. learning the scales would be a tremendous help when writing. Though - I do agree with AxTekk. I can fairly easily transcribe what I hear into a tabbing program (based on guitar) and then work from there into what ever instrument.. but sometimes I hear a certain effect and am just not sure of how best to accomplish it. Just takes practice!

Blah Blah Blah..

eatmeatleet
eatmeatleet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Your biggest composing peeve? Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 08:05 AM Reply

I hate how simple things sound great and complicated stuff sounds shit most of the time unless you get lucky.

"less is more" or whatever they call it

BBS Signature
Calamaistr
Calamaistr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Your biggest composing peeve? Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 08:32 AM Reply

At 7/16/13 08:05 AM, eatmeatleet wrote: I hate how simple things sound great and complicated stuff sounds shit most of the time unless you get lucky.

And then when you make something brilliantly complicated, when you listen to it yourself the first (few) times after rendering it you are like 'ehhhghh?' and it takes like 5 loops untill it sounds like it did when you were actually composing it.

Not really a peeve but its weird anyway.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. pm me for (free) hire, depending on your project i will make you a ost.

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Your biggest composing peeve? Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 09:46 AM Reply

At 7/16/13 08:05 AM, eatmeatleet wrote: I hate how simple things sound great and complicated stuff sounds shit most of the time unless you get lucky.

Addendum: Unless you get lucky or actually know how to do it.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Convey
Convey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Your biggest composing peeve? Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 11:13 AM Reply

At 7/12/13 02:34 AM, BrokenDeck wrote: I hate using the mouse to compose with. If I do then it sounds too mechanic and unrealistic to me.

But he flip side is that a MIDI interface isn't responsive and versatile enough .

FML

Granted, I just now started after years of hesitation to make music, but I actually am sort of running into the same problem. I'll record a little with a keyboard, then tweak/edit the notes which is slow and robotic to me.

I'm still learning though, and am kind of having a blast doing so.

Because I know only stupid people increase the birth rate
I'm just about dumb enough to hold up a sperm bank

Openwounds
Openwounds
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Your biggest composing peeve? Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 12:30 PM Reply

At 7/16/13 08:32 AM, Calamaistr wrote:

And then when you make something brilliantly complicated, when you listen to it yourself the first (few) times after rendering it you are like 'ehhhghh?' and it takes like 5 loops untill it sounds like it did when you were actually composing it.

Not really a peeve but its weird anyway.

I know exactly what you're talking about. I've only recently submitted a electronic pop track on here.. but the majority of what I write is progressive rock/metal with 7/4 - 4/4 poly rhythms and random bars of 5/8 or 3/8 thrown in. Sounds great to me.. but I'm sure to anyone hearing it for the first time it's weird.

The first time I listen to any of Protest The Hero's new music.. I tend to hate it cause I can't understand what's going on.. but a week into it and I know it by heart and love every note and every subtlety that no one else picks up on.

Blah Blah Blah..

8-bitheroes
8-bitheroes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Your biggest composing peeve? Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 01:20 PM Reply

At 7/11/13 06:38 AM, Calamaistr wrote: I dont enjoy forumgames/lists but since i have a peeve myself i want to share with the world due to not having facebook/a smartphone to do so locally 24/7 i thought to make a forumpost on this beautiful little island in the sun, palmtrees, glass of coconut milk, battery radio next to you like its the 80s and you dont care.

Anyway back to the peeve, i drifted off a bit.

My biggest composing peeve is always how the hell to make music both sound good on headphones and without them, i tend to make awesome effects that you can barely hear with headphones on for instance but the moment i play the track from my boxes you probably wont notice them, and if you do it either sounds way to loud or creates dissonance or something so i have to remove them, or worse the whole track sounds weird/bad/uncule compared to when you listen to it with headphones and it all makes sense.

I am then always afraid the majority of people wlil listen to my track without headphones and judge it accordingy.
And when the track does sound good without headphones and with headphones its to loud or something im afraid the majority of people will in turn listen to it 'with headphones.

;-;

Yes, the life of a composer is very hard.

What is your composing peeve?

I have a similar peeve, often my work sounds good on headfones but not so good through a different device. I need some good monitors!
Apart from that I'd say my other one is metronome, I use garageband and the metronome in that is so quite with no way to make louder.

JacobCadmus
JacobCadmus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Your biggest composing peeve? Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 03:07 PM Reply

I have a couple of peeves. one is that my system cannot handle my quick-sketch/ensemble templates, because I'm very OC about having almost every articulation/FX patch at my fingertips, and my sample pool gets cluttered. which is why I just recently switched back to sectional keyswitch patches. (thank goodness for Cinematic Strings!)

another peeve is when I run into a passage that takes me forever to record a good take of. sometimes, I just give up and draw the notes on the piano roll.