New Topic Respond to this Topic
notDre
notDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 05:26 AM Reply

Hi, I am a community agent from Redbana and we are currently seeking music for the game. We patch new music monthly (or at least try to), and are having troubles finding new music to put onto the game. As permitted by the GM's we are trying to find music for the game!

The game is a popular rhythm game called Audition, hosted by the gaming company Redbana. We are looking for fresh new tunes to be immortalized in the game. We are looking for artists to donate their sounds to the game and kick off our patches with music that is fresh and unique as our selections of genres have become stale.

Any music can be looked into and we'd love to hear from you either by private messages or directly posted here. We can then contact you and make an agreement to put your music onto the game.

There are a few things we are looking for as to not waste anyone's time :
- Consistent beats to more easily sync with the game (this is a rhythm mmo)
- We are looking for artists who are willing to donate their music, we cannot pay to use your music (sorry)
- Any genre is fine, though there can't be any swear words or suggestive themes involved with the music
- Your music needs to be original, we cannot put copyrighted content into the game (meaning no covers or use of lyrics from movies/shows/etc)

Look forward to hearing from some people! -Dre

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 06:13 AM Reply

157 000 members on the forum alone and a monetary system that people use to get in-game content and you can't pay the musicians a penny? Feels a bit like you're trying to rip us off.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

notDre
notDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 06:18 AM Reply

At 7/9/13 06:13 AM, MetalRenard wrote: 157 000 members on the forum alone and a monetary system that people use to get in-game content and you can't pay the musicians a penny? Feels a bit like you're trying to rip us off.

They're actually a very small community that's been struggling for awhile, they're a sister company of T3 and as such not getting a ton of funding. The other servers from other countries have a much larger player base than they do making it hard for them to compete while the other servers have better music, patches, and updates.

I don't speak for the company and I'm just a player that was promoted to a Community Agent but they've always been struggling to get out patches, we've had the same set of songs for nearly 3 months now, I'm just trying to help out and try to get some music onto the game. I don't want this server to die as I've been playing it for years. This game is also free to play, the monetary system is only there if you want to, it's not something you have to participate in.

notDre
notDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 06:21 AM Reply

Also pretty sure most of those 157,000 people are bots... I've been on this forum since 2009 and there's only about what 100 active people at any given time?

KgZ
KgZ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 07:13 AM Reply

I've known about you guys for a while because of my involvement in the dance music scene. Unfortunately I can't contribute unless there's a financial contract.

Best of luck!

www.macjams.com/artist/kgz (Download links)

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 07:37 AM Reply

At 7/9/13 05:26 AM, notDre wrote: - We are looking for artists who are willing to donate their music, we cannot pay to use your music (sorry)

That's fine, everyone knows musicians don't need to eat or pay rent.

- Your music needs to be original, we cannot put copyrighted content into the game (meaning no covers or use of lyrics from movies/shows/etc)

*Goes to game page... Is immediately bombarded with Ke$ha and Lady Gaga, *
No copyrighted content. Gotchya.

...and are having troubles finding new music to put onto the game.

Damn those greedy musicians and their wanting to be paid for their work. Like... what the hell?

Audio/BBS Mod
---News: Ask Me Anything (Answers Video!)---Music: Only The Beginning---
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
stratkat
stratkat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 12:43 PM Reply

Tracks 1-13 only, but if you wanna use anything off this it's under the zero-commons license either way, only giving credit is required:
http://daydreamanatomy.bandcamp.com/album/daydream-anatomy

notDre
notDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 04:32 PM Reply

At 7/9/13 07:37 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
At 7/9/13 05:26 AM, notDre wrote: - We are looking for artists who are willing to donate their music, we cannot pay to use your music (sorry)
That's fine, everyone knows musicians don't need to eat or pay rent.

*Goes to game page... Is immediately bombarded with Ke$ha and Lady Gaga, *
No copyrighted content. Gotchya.

...and are having troubles finding new music to put onto the game.
Damn those greedy musicians and their wanting to be paid for their work. Like... what the hell?

We actually don't have those songs anymore, we had those songs like 2 years ago when the company first bought the game from Nexon. That site is incredibly old and rarely updated, because of the shortcomings of the company...

I have no reason to lie, as I said, I'm just a player. These are things that I myself are noticing that it is lacking in the game as a player and I'm just trying to help.

I never said that musicians shouldn't be paid, however we are struggling and cannot pay, thus why I'm here, donated music is always appreciated, and your music will be listened to by our community on the game. I think it would be pretty cool to have my music be put into a game, even if it's for free. But to each their own, I'm not forcing anyone..

Let's put it this way, the Singapore and Korean server has nearly 10 full channels at any given time, we (the American server) have like 1 and a half channels full during prime time... as a server we are severely lacking compared to the other servers and as such don't get as much funding as those servers get. They contracted with pretty much a few of the same artists so all we get is the same music and genre over and over, making our selection very stale.

If you'd like to look at the songs we currently have you can go here :
http://www.audifan.net/music/list/normal/
And these are the songs that have been removed because they couldn't hold on to royalties to them :
http://www.audifan.net/music/list/removed/

Also to note, on other servers they usually get about 10-15 new songs every month, we get about 4-6 every 3 or 4 months sometimes.. if you were playing a game and another server has better updates and songs you would probably go to that server instead right? That's why our server is dying, and I really don't want that. This is why I'm here.

notDre
notDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 11:22 PM Reply

It would be cool if someone could direct me to some CC (commercial use) music too. I would very much appreciate it.

SpinWires
SpinWires
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 10th, 2013 @ 12:12 AM Reply

- We are looking for artists who are willing to donate their music, we cannot pay to use your music (sorry)
- Any genre is fine, though there can't be any swear words or suggestive themes involved with the music

Check out some awesome sounding dance rock, likely perfect for the game:

• Girls Like You
    Girls Like You by SpinWires

Rock song about crazy girls with lyrics. Real guitar bass and drums.

Score
    4.60 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Punk
    Popularity

Pop Punk blended with Dance Rock, Garage Rock and New Wave. Voted Buffalo's #1 Band.

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 10th, 2013 @ 01:38 AM Reply

sort of OT, but BFP posted this in the other thread:

If it's under Creative Commons, you can't use it for commercial purposes, as the Creative Commons license does not allow commercial use unless you agree on different terms with each artist.

and that's incorrect. creative commons licenses are modular in a way, so if they don't have the noncommercial term (NC) then you do not need to work out a separate license for commercial use (as long as you abide by any other terms in the license).

having said that, the majority of work that i've seen released under a CC license does include NC (all the music on newgrounds is BY-NC-SA, for example), so i understand the confusion!

p.s. i am gay

StaticBlu
StaticBlu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 10th, 2013 @ 01:48 AM Reply

Check out these tracks. They might fit your game pretty well.

• Two Fold Shuffle
    Two Fold Shuffle by StaticBlu

Dance Track just for fun.

Score
    4.07 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Dance
    Popularity
  • Funky Getaway
    Funky Getaway by StaticBlu

Urban Funk

Score
    4.13 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Funk
    Popularity

notDre
notDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 10th, 2013 @ 03:18 AM Reply

At 7/10/13 01:38 AM, midimachine wrote: sort of OT, but BFP posted this in the other thread:

If it's under Creative Commons, you can't use it for commercial purposes, as the Creative Commons license does not allow commercial use unless you agree on different terms with each artist.
and that's incorrect. creative commons licenses are modular in a way, so if they don't have the noncommercial term (NC) then you do not need to work out a separate license for commercial use (as long as you abide by any other terms in the license).

having said that, the majority of work that i've seen released under a CC license does include NC (all the music on newgrounds is BY-NC-SA, for example), so i understand the confusion!

There's quite a selection out there for CC (commercial use) lisences, but you know you gotta know where to look. I'm trying to compile some lists so I can send them off to the GM's to look at. It's complicated and we don't want to be breaking any rules.

Souldran
Souldran
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 10th, 2013 @ 07:30 AM Reply

Here's some Trance-y DnB, if that'd fit your game.

• Depression and Hope
    Depression and Hope by Souldran

A journey into Symphonic D&B

Score
    4.53 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Drum N Bass
    Popularity

VaudevilleFreud
VaudevilleFreud
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 02:38 AM Reply

This song is slow and dark, may be good for an early level

• Mr. Hyde
    Mr. Hyde by VaudevilleFreud

Mr. Hyde, by Vaudevilles Dead

Score
    4.64 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Heavy Metal
    Popularity

or this song is a bit more complex and tricky, but at least split up nicely for chopping to a game

• Rat Thief! Rat Thief!
    Rat Thief! Rat Thief! by VaudevilleFreud

Pickpocket: lyrics copyright Paul O'Moore 2013

Score
    4.71 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Indie
    Popularity

notDre
notDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 12th, 2013 @ 06:20 AM Reply

At 7/12/13 02:38 AM, VaudevilleFreud wrote: This song is slow and dark, may be good for an early level
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/540769
or this song is a bit more complex and tricky, but at least split up nicely for chopping to a game
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/538279

@ the second song, I love it. I'm going to beg for them to put it into the game. I really hope they do.

MrReaper
MrReaper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 16th, 2013 @ 01:59 AM Reply

At 7/12/13 06:20 AM, notDre wrote:
At 7/12/13 02:38 AM, VaudevilleFreud wrote:
@ the second song, I love it. I'm going to beg for them to put it into the game. I really hope they do.

I second this one, Rat Thief rules! really unique cool song, never heard anything quite like it

Porkbeef
Porkbeef
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 19th, 2013 @ 03:03 PM Reply

Here's some basic 4-on-the-floor trance that's largely based around flow and melody.

• Windy Night
    Windy Night by Porkbeef

Energetic Progressive Trance Song

Score
    4.00 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Trance
    Popularity

JoeCap21
JoeCap21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 20th, 2013 @ 10:02 AM Reply

joeandolino.wordpress.com

You can check out my site

Joe

samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 20th, 2013 @ 02:58 PM Reply

@notDre

You can browse the audio listings, just remember to PM any artists whose music you wish to use before using it and ask them if they can waive the non-commercial term on the CC license for you. If you want to do it the correct way, use a contract.

I wonder if your company has considered paying a small royalty to each artist instead of an upfront. If the game does have a following, surely they can provide a few % of sales quarterly to the composers. That's the standard payment method for people who can't afford to pay upfront for music.

My Music - Game Dev./Music Tutorials - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
notDre
notDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 20th, 2013 @ 07:52 PM Reply

At 7/20/13 02:58 PM, samulis wrote: @notDre

You can browse the audio listings, just remember to PM any artists whose music you wish to use before using it and ask them if they can waive the non-commercial term on the CC license for you. If you want to do it the correct way, use a contract.

I wonder if your company has considered paying a small royalty to each artist instead of an upfront. If the game does have a following, surely they can provide a few % of sales quarterly to the composers. That's the standard payment method for people who can't afford to pay upfront for music.

I'll keep that in mind, I don't really know how they work or do things as a company. I'm not a part of it, but I do know that they lack music and that's what I'm trying to fix. I've gotten lots of positive feedback from it though from the GM's, and will probably begin sending out emails in the near future.

Majestic-Mastermind
Majestic-Mastermind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 23rd, 2013 @ 02:29 PM Reply

At 7/9/13 05:26 AM, notDre wrote: Hi, I am a community agent from Redbana and we are currently seeking music for the game. We patch new music monthly (or at least try to), and are having troubles finding new music to put onto the game. As permitted by the GM's we are trying to find music for the game!

The game is a popular rhythm game called Audition, hosted by the gaming company Redbana. We are looking for fresh new tunes to be immortalized in the game. We are looking for artists to donate their sounds to the game and kick off our patches with music that is fresh and unique as our selections of genres have become stale.

Any music can be looked into and we'd love to hear from you either by private messages or directly posted here. We can then contact you and make an agreement to put your music onto the game.

I can't cook up anything original for free, like someone else said I have to eat and pay rent. But I do have a royalty-free game music library you may be interested here: http://officialmajesticmastermind.com/gamemusic

Very affordable music for your game and the tracks are high-quality, original, and unique.

notDre
notDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 24th, 2013 @ 02:15 AM Reply

@ Above that's really cool thanks, idk if they can pay you, but I'll send it to them anyways. :)

PascalPalomino
PascalPalomino
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 25th, 2013 @ 12:09 AM Reply

This is bullshit, if you want good music pay the artist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mj5IV23g-fE

notDre
notDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 25th, 2013 @ 12:40 AM Reply

That's your opinion. I'm not forcing anybody to do anything, if you don't want to donate your music that's fine. Also I don't see how your video is relevant, they're a dying company and I'm not looking to cheap out people or punk people into anything, I'm not a speaker for the company, I'm a liaison for them and as a player I'm trying to keep them afloat because I love my game, my server and the people in it and I don't want to see it fall further just because they can't afford music when I know there's decent people and artists out there who would love to see their music flourish and have people listen to it for free as long as they get the appreciation (which most people do on newgrounds anyways).

If you have your own opinion, that's cool but I don't see why you have to shove it down people's throats or call me out on 'bullshit' that is in your own head.

PascalPalomino
PascalPalomino
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 25th, 2013 @ 01:53 AM Reply

At 7/25/13 12:40 AM, notDre wrote: That's your opinion. I'm not forcing anybody to do anything, if you don't want to donate your music that's fine.

Donate our music, you speak like what we do is worthless, donate our music? Ok for what? Because your publishing company is going down? Give me a break, maybe if it's a charity cause I'll donate my music.

I'm a liaison for them and as a player I'm trying to keep them afloat because I love my game, my server and the people in it and I don't want to see it fall further just because they can't afford music

This shows how music is secondary for you, if you like your game so much, I'm sure you would like the music to provide the best experience when you are playing, so make sure the music is the best to suit your game. You are gona love your game even more.

when I know there's decent people and artists out there who would love to see their music flourish and have people listen to it for free as long as they get the appreciation (which most people do on newgrounds anyways).

Ho please I am going to cry!

If you have your own opinion, that's cool but I don't see why you have to shove it down people's throats or call me out on 'bullshit' that is in your own head.

I don't think it's only in my own head.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 25th, 2013 @ 02:25 AM Reply

At 7/25/13 01:53 AM, PascalPalomino wrote:
words

chill your shit. you wouldn't be "donating" music per se, you'd simply be granting the developer a non-exclusive CC-BY license to use one or two songs. the fact that they're even asking permission at all in the first place shows more thoughtfulness than most other developers.

what's up with this forum poo-pooing every single opportunity that comes by? get a real job guys trololol

p.s. i am gay

PascalPalomino
PascalPalomino
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 25th, 2013 @ 02:57 AM Reply

At 7/25/13 02:25 AM, midimachine wrote:
At 7/25/13 01:53 AM, PascalPalomino wrote:
words
chill your shit. you wouldn't be "donating" music per se, you'd simply be granting the developer a non-exclusive CC-BY license to use one or two songs. the fact that they're even asking permission at all in the first place shows more thoughtfulness than most other developers.

Ok mate I'm chilling out. Guess I prefer the non-exclusive term to donate. Well they should still give royalty or pay the composer.

notDre
notDre
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 25th, 2013 @ 03:24 PM Reply

I told you if they could they would... we've had the same music for like 4 months now because they can't afford to get new songs and because of it people are leaving and they're slowly dying. I don't want that to happen so I'm trying to prevent it. Also what Midi said.

jaysummers759885
jaysummers759885
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Seeking Music for a Rhythm Game! Jul. 25th, 2013 @ 09:56 PM Reply

Check out some awesome sounding dance rock, likely perfect for the game:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/532736

```````````````````````````````````

I feel depressed, and maybe a little compressed.

~J