00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Breakfast-Crow just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Best of June 2013

21,325 Views | 73 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 12:15:18

We had some really impressive movies in June and a large voter turnout, resulting in some lesser-known but amazing movies not cracking the top five. Be sure to watch BLISS, which placed 10th. You should be watching everything on the front page nowadays because people are getting REALLY GOOD.

July is shaping up to be totally nuts; spacefader is one of my new favorite artists.

Soooo... the votes are in and your Best of June have been decided!

Top Five Movies

The top-rated movie based on original material and winner of $250 is Raw Latex, by Sexual-Lobster.

Top Five Games

Runner-up Movies

6. Sparkle Pom-Pom Squad
7. Lazy Writing 9
8. Game Grumps Movie Trailer
9. Journey!
10. BLISS
11. HONK
12. Minecraft: TNA Part 15
13. Game Grumps 3d #04
14. Playstation 4
15. SegwayOfTheDead - Reviews
16. Douche of Steel
17. Dragons Are Assholes
18. Clockwork Gentleman
19. Court-circuit (Power cut)
20. Menu

Runner-up Games

6. Daymare Cat
7. Antichromatic
8. Undead End 2
9. Ending
10. Bob the Robber 2
11. BackDoor- Door 1
12. Incursion 2: The Artifact
13. Nitrome Must Die
14. Bois D'Arc
15. Night Lights
16. Smoking Zombies
17. Mini Commando
18. Hobo 4 Total War
19. Rocket Pets
20. King's Ascent

The voter of the month and winner of $100 is SubNoctem!

Congrats to the winners!

Robot Day is THIS WEDNESDAY, it really snuck up didn't it? If you haven't been making anything, you can still totally jam out for the next 48 hours. Maybe use it as an opportunity to learn Flixel!

If you missed it, we finally announced the Best of 2011 on Friday.

We'll be announcing the Best of 2012 THIS FRIDAY.

Best of June 2013

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 12:21:23

FIRST!

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 12:38:55

Congrats to the winners, it's a shame Guards didn't wing best movie though. Glad to see Don't Escape winning best game. Lots of great stuff this month.
Speaking of Robot Day, will there be an awesome image to put in our submissions like there was for Pico Day? My submission might also be a bit late, but I'll try to get it done on time :3

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 12:39:15

At 7/8/13 12:21 PM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: FIRST!

Spam much?

On topic, congratulations to winners.

BBS Signature

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 12:42:51

So does the best game ever get a prize?

Click the Squid -> ๐Ÿฆ‘

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 12:51:20

Congrats to all the winners.

At 7/8/13 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: Robot Day is THIS WEDNESDAY, it really snuck up didn't it? If you haven't been making anything, you can still totally jam out for the next 48 hours. Maybe use it as an opportunity to learn Flixel!

Oh wow that really came up faster than I thought it would. Are we having a different Robot Day background this year or are we using the same one we had last year?

We'll be announcing the Best of 2012 THIS FRIDAY.

Looking forward to this. Hopefully when next year comes around we wont fall behind on this stuff again and have the Best of 2013 ready to go. *thumbs up*

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 12:54:25

ROBOT DAY!!!!!!!!!
Well Tom, that thing I mentioned will not be done in time for robot day :( HOWEVER...

1 l0ve ROb0T d@y

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 13:22:06

Congrats to the winners!

"I am a part of all that I have met."- Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 14:13:04

Congrats to the winners. We had a little bit of a sub-vote between members of AXN to decide what we'd finally vote on. It was a tough night, with plenty of drinks to go around. Cheers to the winners!

Free albums every month! Use our stuff in your stuff! Contact us if you need music, voice over, or artwork for your submissions! Our Profile and here's Our Song Library

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 14:22:00

At 7/8/13 12:42 PM, squidly wrote: So does the best game ever get a prize?

When I cut back the monthly prize budget, I decided to prioritize the thing that generally has the least potential for revenue - movies based on original characters. Games at the time were making a killing with sponsorships and ads. Even now the best games each month have usually snagged a sponsorship. If NG is ever gangbusters again we can re-boost the prizes.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 14:26:35

11th place in May, 9th place in June! One day... ONE DAY! i will be in the top 5 haha.

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 15:07:16

Congratulations everyone!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 15:40:05

Congratulations everyone.

Also I like the automated PM to remind people to vote- its the first time in months I've remembered to do it. With it hidden away in the profile a bit now I tend to not even realise it is voting time.

Sig by lebastic

BBS Signature

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 16:04:21

At 7/8/13 02:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
If NG is ever gangbusters again we can re-boost the prizes.

Not if, Tom. When. Have faith.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 16:41:31

At 7/8/13 04:21 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: I notice the classic portal is less clogged than before with UJ Submissions, that's always good. I think we've had a small boost in activity.

It makes me really happy to see that when I'm in the Classic Portal. I hate seeing a wall of nothing but purple.

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 16:53:14

the wall of purple is a pain in the ass even with my VP. I have to vote it all twice (one before and after new day reset). and most of the time people just vote 5.

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 17:03:33

Congrats to all.

Robot day is that close? Well... sounds like my animation isn't going to make it then. :/

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 17:16:56

BLISS placed 10th and A Clockwork Gentlemen placed 18th?! What the hell is wrong with people... so much for awarding the best of the month.

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 17:18:13

Congrats to all the winners!

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]

[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 17:43:55

Yay! Congrats to the winners!

BBS Signature

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 19:04:59

At 7/8/13 02:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/8/13 12:42 PM, squidly wrote: So does the best game ever get a prize?
When I cut back the monthly prize budget, I decided to prioritize the thing that generally has the least potential for revenue - movies based on original characters. Games at the time were making a killing with sponsorships and ads. Even now the best games each month have usually snagged a sponsorship. If NG is ever gangbusters again we can re-boost the prizes.

Yea, I realized that almost immediately after posting it. It is also less likely that a game would steal characters outside of the Shovelware.

Click the Squid -> ๐Ÿฆ‘

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 20:17:31

Yes! fistpump. Thank you Newgrounds and those who voted.

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 20:20:22

So the winners are Sexual Lobster who was paid to make the cartoon for a particular youtube channel, no doubt he was paid a substantial amount more then the newgrounds prize money.

Then you have Felix Colgraves Man Spaghetti which has been focused on sites the calibre of Cartoon Brew, a site which notoriously avoids featuring Flash content. This cartoon gets nothing.

Then you have a Mario parody thats using the exact same jokes that every Mario cartoon has been using since 1999.

This is followed by guards, a relatively well written and nicely presented episode of new series, the sort of content Newgrounds should be trying to promote and attract more but winds up again, getting nothing.

And then finally we get a Zelda cartoon that looks like it was made in 2002 with jokes that are equally as stale.

I noticed your comment " If NG is ever gangbusters again we can re-boost the prizes." I dont know what its going to take for you to realise that the way people take in content and the way exposure works now has changed and that its not 2004 anymore. But until Newgrounds starts actually treating its top tier creators with respect and actually starts incentivising the creation of new and creative content more and more creators are going to go elsewhere with their work. I know this is your site and your vision Tom, but if thats the case then that means your vision is a hostile environment thats only going to cause more creatives to either post once and then leave OR push more creators who have been hanging around for years to stop bothering with releasing their work here and then blaming them for betraying you.

That said, props for all the student films on front page, it was nice seeing some somewhat intelligent and well made content on front page for a change. Shame the Newgrounds audiences didn't appreciate it as much as they do boobs and fart jokes.

DOUBLE POST! BAM! I thought that was fixed.

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 20:27:52

Bliss, Man Spaghetti & Raw Latex were my favorites. Congrats to all the winners.

@metraff @NG_Artists Support Newgrounds Classifieds: commission animation

"Metraff I'm going to fuck you." - Sodamachine

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 20:30:09

At 7/8/13 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: The top-rated movie based on original material and winner of $250 is Raw Latex, by Sexual-Lobster.

should parodies be eligible for winning an original material prize?

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 20:34:12

At 7/8/13 08:30 PM, MindChamber wrote:
At 7/8/13 12:15 PM, TomFulp wrote: The top-rated movie based on original material and winner of $250 is Raw Latex, by Sexual-Lobster.
should parodies be eligible for winning an original material prize?

I think genre parodies should be fine, in this case I think the question is should content paid for by external groups be eligible. Not that I want to be knocking on Sexual Lobsters work, just in general.

DOUBLE POST! BAM! I thought that was fixed.

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 22:13:08

Wow I wanted Ninja miners to win

็งใฎใกใ‚“ใกใ‚“

BBS Signature

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 22:19:10

Monthly 17th?
Sounds good to me. :)

Congratulations to all of the prize winners and people who have made it to the top 20 for their animations/ games!

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-08 22:21:59

At 7/8/13 08:20 PM, Gerkinman wrote: That said, props for all the student films on front page, it was nice seeing some somewhat intelligent and well made content on front page for a change. Shame the Newgrounds audiences didn't appreciate it as much as they do boobs and fart jokes.

I couldn't agree more. In my opinion A Clockwork Gentlemen was by far the best of June, and the movie I voted for #1 since I was on the voting pool. It was completely original and creative, and had such excellent use of imagery that not a single line of dialogue was required to tell the story. Not only that but it was a 3D animation which requires significantly more skill and time to animate than 2D (for the most part). Hell it even had damn near flawless editing; the cuts between shots are seamless. Even with all that A Clockwork Gentlemen ended up in 18th place; three positions away from not even being listed in Tom's post.

What gets #1? An animation with a boring art style, childish jokes, banal dialogue, and bad pacing. Best thing about it was that the voice acting was decent. I would love to find out what the average age of the users for the voting pool was because it seems like it was a bunch of teenagers.

All and all this little experience has showed me that ignoring the Portal for the past few years and just sticking to the community on the BBS has been a good idea. The children voting on these things don't know quality work from their asses. I'm also certainly not going to ever participate in the voting pool again even if I'm chosen to vote for July's best because the best works aren't even remotely recognised. What's the point?

At 7/8/13 02:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: If NG is ever gangbusters again we can re-boost the prizes.

I can't see this ever happening if all that's awarded is stupid fart jokes, random violence, and done-to-death parodies.

/endrant

Response to Best of June 2013 2013-07-09 00:27:20

At 7/8/13 10:21 PM, Diki wrote:
At 7/8/13 08:20 PM, Gerkinman wrote: That said, props for all the student films on front page, it was nice seeing some somewhat intelligent and well made content on front page for a change. Shame the Newgrounds audiences didn't appreciate it as much as they do boobs and fart jokes.
I couldn't agree more. In my opinion A Clockwork Gentlemen was by far the best of June, and the movie I voted for #1 since I was on the voting pool. It was completely original and creative, and had such excellent use of imagery that not a ...

To be fair, it's a big ass selection to vote on :| People vote on what they know. The alternative is watching and playing everything that's in the left column. Maybe everyone with an account should do the monthly voting, then the selected pool can vote on the run-off selections. Tom should toss some XP in on the deal too, dammit :|

Myself, I just hump the UJ stuff that rolls in, and while I got a fav page that breeds like rabbits (1,224 pages since the redesign last year), I don't catch all the trendy stuff that usually gets put on the FP. And for all my time voting and reviewing in the Art portal, what good does it do here? :P

Vault 101 I have many old and deleted Flash submissions, PM me the filename, maybe I got it.

BBS Signature