New Topic Respond to this Topic
bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 8th, 2013 @ 05:50 PM Reply

At 8/8/13 04:59 PM, Cairos wrote: There is no shortcut to sexy.
The usage of shading inappropriately is a way to hide one's lack of understanding of volume when it can be represented simply with lines.
If you can translate that same control of energy you have for your signature into creating simplified figures then that would be a great leap forward.

For a small fraction of a second I thought he drew this and I went "holy shit", but then I realized it was you coming in here showing people how it's done.

But yeah, representing figures in a way that gives them volume rather than just being flat shapes is super important. Something I'm personally trying to work on. Along with figuring out better ways to render objects and perspective... and hands.

SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 8th, 2013 @ 09:05 PM Reply

At 8/8/13 04:59 PM, Cairos wrote: There is no shortcut to sexy.
The usage of shading inappropriately is a way to hide one's lack of understanding of volume when it can be represented simply with lines.
If you can translate that same control of energy you have for your signature into creating simplified figures then that would be a great leap forward.

Oh okay. I will definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for showing me how it could have been done. Guess that means I will have to re-draw the character, but in this case, I don't mind. She was fun to draw in the first place. :)

SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 9th, 2013 @ 10:16 AM Reply

• Arachne Naked at the Springs
    Arachne Naked at the Springs by SinCOMIXXX

Arachne has taken to relaxing at the spring located near the entrance to her cave. This place is where she calls home. As you...

Score
    0.000000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Adults Only

Does anyone have any good brush ideas to improve this piece or hell, any other piece I pursue in the near future?

gayhobbit
gayhobbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 9th, 2013 @ 03:58 PM Reply

At 8/8/13 09:05 PM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: Oh okay. I will definitely keep that in mind.

The lies! I can't... we need counseling!

SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 11th, 2013 @ 05:30 PM Reply

At 8/9/13 03:58 PM, gayhobbit wrote:
At 8/8/13 09:05 PM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: Oh okay. I will definitely keep that in mind.
The lies! I can't... we need counseling!

I actually did re-draw the character. I'll have to scan it and put it up. For now, here's a practice sphere, demonstrating a new way I could potentially do line art.

Sinful Artwork

SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 11th, 2013 @ 05:35 PM Reply

More practice.

Sinful Artwork

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 11th, 2013 @ 05:43 PM Reply

At 8/11/13 05:35 PM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: More practice.

Hang on, the first one's done?
I can barely understand where the light's coming from, let alone believe that the shading is supposed to represent a sphere.
Can't you put all these in a single post?

BBS Signature
bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 11th, 2013 @ 07:42 PM Reply

At 8/9/13 10:16 AM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/sincomixxx/arachne-naked-

at-the-springs

Does anyone have any good brush ideas to improve this piece or hell, any other piece I pursue in the near future?

Okay, so your colors are really basic. You colored the water straight up blue and the rocks brown. I recommend you start looking at photos and art (specifically those similar to the kind of picture you want to create) and examine what colors are present. You don't need to copy them, but just understanding that water isn't just blue, trees are just green, etc.

Someone told me the same thing over a year ago. Surfaces getting sunlight tend to look a little more orange/yellow, while surfaces in shade look more blue/purple. I also recommend looking into color theory and referencing a color wheel when figuring out color layouts.

Keep working at it though, don't be afraid to try out different techniques, and you'll get to where you want.

Also when it comes to brushes, it doesn't matter what kind of brushes you use. They just give paintings different types of textures, nothing that will make or break a piece. It's all about composition and tone.

ALSO here is a decent reference http://www.alohafrom808.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Kalal au_beach_cave_2_sm.jpg, don't go copying the colors or something, just look at the white sky beyond the rocks. It's glowing because it's a light source and you can see it affecting the rocks. Also the farther away the rocks are the more washed out they are. So, add a new layer, take a soft brush and start lightening up the background and make it look glowey.

Either make the water look reflective, or add splashy wave bits here and there. Literally just use google image search and you'll find some good examples. Make sure you keep your light source consistent! Also the right boob looks a little too small and I suggest putting some cloth in her hand, like a bra or something, like she's about to drop it. Right now it just looks like she's raising her hand for no reason. Also not a bad job on the hands, I know personally they can be a pain in the ass.

I hope some of this is helpful, or at least that you read a little of it. I didn't check for grammar mistakes, I'm sure I accidentally a word a few times...

gayhobbit
gayhobbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 11th, 2013 @ 10:49 PM Reply

At 8/11/13 05:30 PM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: I actually did re-draw the character. I'll have to scan it and put it up. For now, here's a practice sphere, demonstrating a new way I could potentially do line art.

I know you used no reference for that. It's as flat as bread without yeast. How am I to believe you?

SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 13th, 2013 @ 09:50 PM Reply

At 8/11/13 07:42 PM, bigCman321 wrote:
At 8/9/13 10:16 AM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/sincomixxx/arachne-naked-
at-the-springs
Okay, so your colors are really basic. You colored the water straight up blue and the rocks brown. I recommend you start looking at photos and art (specifically those similar to the kind of picture you want to create) and examine what colors are present. You don't need to copy them, but just understanding that water isn't just blue, trees are just green, etc.

Someone told me the same thing over a year ago. Surfaces getting sunlight tend to look a little more orange/yellow, while surfaces in shade look more blue/purple. I also recommend looking into color theory and referencing a color wheel when figuring out color layouts.

Keep working at it though, don't be afraid to try out different techniques, and you'll get to where you want.

Also when it comes to brushes, it doesn't matter what kind of brushes you use. They just give paintings different types of textures, nothing that will make or break a piece. It's all about composition and tone.

ALSO here is a decent reference http://www.alohafrom808.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Kalal au_beach_cave_2_sm.jpg, don't go copying the colors or something, just look at the white sky beyond the rocks. It's glowing because it's a light source and you can see it affecting the rocks. Also the farther away the rocks are the more washed out they are. So, add a new layer, take a soft brush and start lightening up the background and make it look glowey.

Thanks for the advice! I had to cut down on what you said in my reply... Because we all know how Newgrounds can be a bit of a bitch sometimes when it comes to replies.

And I appreciate your photoshop advice! :)

I will try and apply these new techniques tomorrow. Also, I re-drew Big Bertha, loosely following the guidelines laid out by another users.

Again, everyone, I appreciate your advice. I'm lookin' forward to what you all say in the future.

Sinful Artwork

Cairos
Cairos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 14
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 14th, 2013 @ 02:12 AM Reply

Good. You're moving forward.
It is alright to take your time on things.
Know that patience leads to progress because we're all waiting on you.

gayhobbit
gayhobbit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 14th, 2013 @ 01:20 PM Reply

At 8/13/13 09:50 PM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: Thanks for the advice! I had to cut down on what you said in my reply... Because we all know how Newgrounds can be a bit of a bitch sometimes when it comes to replies.

And I appreciate your photoshop advice! :)

I will try and apply these new techniques tomorrow. Also, I re-drew Big Bertha, loosely following the guidelines laid out by another users.

Again, everyone, I appreciate your advice. I'm lookin' forward to what you all say in the future.

You'll reference a drawing -done for you of your character- but you won't reference a real person. You should've referenced the face too.

SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 14th, 2013 @ 09:28 PM Reply

At 8/14/13 01:20 PM, gayhobbit wrote:
At 8/13/13 09:50 PM, SinCOMIXXX wrote:
You'll reference a drawing -done for you of your character- but you won't reference a real person. You should've referenced the face too.

That I can fix in Photoshop. But, thanks for pointing that out.

SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 14th, 2013 @ 09:30 PM Reply

At 8/14/13 02:12 AM, Cairos wrote: Good. You're moving forward.

Thank you. I'm thinking of a purple/green color scheme for her suit. Yea or Nae?

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Sinful Artwork Aug. 16th, 2013 @ 03:19 PM Reply

At 8/14/13 09:30 PM, SinCOMIXXX wrote:
At 8/14/13 02:12 AM, Cairos wrote: Good. You're moving forward.
Thank you. I'm thinking of a purple/green color scheme for her suit. Yea or Nae?

Purple and Green can look good if done correctly. I generally consult a good color wheel when trying to come up with color schemes http://www.realcolorwheel.com/RCWSpinning.htg/RCWnewTMmasterRGBBLnumRedRing100dpi903x903.png

Also on the subject of faces I suggest checking out the art of Andrew Loomis, the man was a master at drawing beautiful women. Just looking through his drawings you can clearly see how the face is supposed to be shaped and what dimensions work. http://underpaintings.blogspot.com/2009/11/defining-beauty-andrew-loomis-women.html