New Topic Respond to this Topic
EastWestMan
EastWestMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Refining my art Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 08:49 PM Reply

I've been looking for a good program that I can use to "refine" my art, 'cause everything I draw watercolor paper looks gritty. The use of scanning my pictures, however, makes it a little less messy, but my artwork still doesn't look as good as I usually want it to look.

I can't afford Photoshop, Adobe Photoshop, etc. So I need something good, and free!
Except Gimp, 'cause it doesn't work with my internet for some reason...
Anyway, I have looked far and wide within the internet, but to no avail. Perhaps anyone in Newgrounds will know of a good, or average, art program that I can use to make my stuff look better?

SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Refining my art Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:33 PM Reply

Any program you come to like is fair game, really. Seriously, with the right tools, and your preferences being met, you could go really far with practice.

EastWestMan
EastWestMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Refining my art Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:38 PM Reply

At 7/3/13 09:33 PM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: Any program you come to like is fair game, really. Seriously, with the right tools, and your preferences being met, you could go really far with practice.

Yeah, I understand you, but I'm just looking for a specific art program. I know that with the right tools n' such and practice I can make my stuff look good, but i'm just asking for a tool that you would know about (And if it is free, of course).
Also, here's an example of something I would want to make less-grungy:

• Bulgash the Brawny
    Bulgash the Brawny by EastWestMan

This is my third orc drawing, so far, and I sort of like it. I can't really think of anything creative to describe this dude....

Score
    3.750000000 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

The scanner I use always seems to gather shadows and other little giblets that make my artwork look awkward. I'm really looking for an art program that I can use to clean up my stuff. If you ever come up with any ideas, that'd be awesome!

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Refining my art Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:43 PM Reply

At 7/3/13 09:38 PM, EastWestMan wrote:
At 7/3/13 09:33 PM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: Any program you come to like is fair game, really. Seriously, with the right tools, and your preferences being met, you could go really far with practice.
Yeah, I understand you, but I'm just looking for a specific art program. I know that with the right tools n' such and practice I can make my stuff look good, but i'm just asking for a tool that you would know about (And if it is free, of course).

Free you say?:

http://www.gimp.org/

Probably the best free Photoshop substitute.

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/eastwestman/bulgash-the-b rawny
The scanner I use always seems to gather shadows and other little giblets that make my artwork look awkward. I'm really looking for an art program that I can use to clean up my stuff. If you ever come up with any ideas, that'd be awesome!

I am not a pro with documenting work on paper, but what strikes me, is that you could clean up the pencil lines with a eraser a bit, before you scan it. Then you could clean it up further with GIMP.

BBS Signature
EastWestMan
EastWestMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Refining my art Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:12 PM Reply

At 7/3/13 09:43 PM, Luwano wrote:
At 7/3/13 09:38 PM, EastWestMan wrote:
Free you say?:

http://www.gimp.org/

Probably the best free Photoshop substitute.

http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/eastwestman/bulgash-the-b rawny
I am not a pro with documenting work on paper, but what strikes me, is that you could clean up the pencil lines with a eraser a bit, before you scan it. Then you could clean it up further with GIMP.

I tried downloading Gimp earlier, actually, but I can't, because "I don't have Windows Service Pack 3".
The most irritating thing about downloading something to find out it won't work.... eugh...
Anyway, do you know if there is a Gimp file or something else that would be compatible with a computer with a Windows Service Pack of less than 3?

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Refining my art Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:21 PM Reply

At 7/3/13 10:12 PM, EastWestMan wrote: I tried downloading Gimp earlier, actually, but I can't, because "I don't have Windows Service Pack 3".
The most irritating thing about downloading something to find out it won't work.... eugh...
Anyway, do you know if there is a Gimp file or something else that would be compatible with a computer with a Windows Service Pack of less than 3?

Not exactly sure, but one of the older versions could work. Back when I installed it on my XP laptop, I only needed service pack 2 (ver 2.6 I think). Earlier versions might work completely without any, but therefore be less stable and lack some of the newer features:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/old.html

BBS Signature
SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Refining my art Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:21 PM Reply

Before you get a program, I would suggest getting a tablet.

Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Refining my art Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:24 PM Reply

At 7/3/13 10:21 PM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: Before you get a program, I would suggest getting a tablet.

No, if it's just for cleaning up a finished drawing, a mouse will work too.

At OP:

Here are more art programs, check those that are free:

http://art101.newgrounds.com/news/post/273558

BBS Signature
SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Refining my art Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:52 PM Reply

At 7/3/13 10:24 PM, Luwano wrote:
At 7/3/13 10:21 PM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: Before you get a program, I would suggest getting a tablet.
No, if it's just for cleaning up a finished drawing, a mouse will work too.

At OP:

Here are more art programs, check those that are free:

http://art101.newgrounds.com/news/post/273558

Of course, but even so, a tablet can be more accurate when doing clean up. I should know, I have used a tablet before...Before my old computer died anyway. That is why I will be using a new computer and my tablet.

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Refining my art Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 01:04 AM Reply

You should really save up and get a Wacom Bamboo tablet. It'll take a little while to get used to drawing on it, but once you do it will open up a lot more possibilities.

Digital is just fast and convenient (no mess, no paint, etc.) though it can be harder to draw. What I do now is start something as a sketch on a piece of paper and then continue working on it on my computer.

SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Refining my art Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 09:00 AM Reply

At 7/4/13 01:04 AM, bigCman321 wrote: You should really save up and get a Wacom Bamboo tablet. It'll take a little while to get used to drawing on it, but once you do it will open up a lot more possibilities.

Digital is just fast and convenient (no mess, no paint, etc.) though it can be harder to draw. What I do now is start something as a sketch on a piece of paper and then continue working on it on my computer.

Are you and I secretly clones? Have we been shielded from this fact by the government? In all seriousness, what bigCman321 says is absolutely true. It may take some practice, but once you get used to it, it becomes like breathing.

EastWestMan
EastWestMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Refining my art Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 09:05 AM Reply

At 7/4/13 01:04 AM, bigCman321 wrote: You should really save up and get a Wacom Bamboo tablet. It'll take a little while to get used to drawing on it, but once you do it will open up a lot more possibilities.

Alright, that makes a lot of sense, although I would be wasting a pot of my art supplies that I already have...
But how does this tablet work? I've never used tablets before, and I don't think I have actually ever seen one.

EastWestMan
EastWestMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Refining my art Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 09:35 AM Reply

Not exactly sure, but one of the older versions could work. Back when I installed it on my XP laptop, I only needed service pack 2 (ver 2.6 I think). Earlier versions might work completely without any, but therefore be less stable and lack some of the newer features:

http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/old.html

Thanks for that link, dude! Just downloaded Gimp, and it works just fine now!

SinCOMIXXX
SinCOMIXXX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Artist
Response to Refining my art Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 10:16 AM Reply

At 7/4/13 09:05 AM, EastWestMan wrote:
Alright, that makes a lot of sense, although I would be wasting a pot of my art supplies that I already have...
But how does this tablet work? I've never used tablets before, and I don't think I have actually ever seen one.

Trust me and bigCman321. I recently got my Bamboo Splash, and I LOVE IT. It's really worth it. Trust me on this.

ornery
ornery
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 55
Artist
Response to Refining my art Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 12:43 PM Reply

At 7/4/13 10:16 AM, SinCOMIXXX wrote: Trust me and bigCman321. I recently got my Bamboo Splash, and I LOVE IT. It's really worth it. Trust me on this.

If you have no desire to do digital art then dont bother with these two. There is nothing wrong with traditional stuff if you are enjoying it. If you want an easier time coloring then yes a tablet may help assuming you want to color your stuff in digitally. If you want better documentation of your traditional stuff then check out this tutorial.

Really it all comes down to what style you like, and what you want to accomplish. I recommend trying out all kinds of different things, sometimes just for the sake of trying. Getting a tablet is something that i would do eventually anyway if i were you, doesnt have to be expensive, hell you can even borrow one from a friend if possible, see what its like. If you prefer a mouse and are efficient with it, then use a mouse. There are plenty of great artists out there who use mainly or exclusively a mouse. Getting a tablet wont suddenly fix all your problems.

I think ontop of trying to fix everything digitally, work more on getting it how you want traditionally first. You use watercolor, great. Now try different brushes, brands of paint, watercolor pencils, different paper. Look up various techniques that will get you different results. More water, less water, sponging some away, using salt, taping off areas, less pencil, more pencil, no pencil, etc.

The thing about traditional stuff is that there is so many different techniques that come with each material and surface that only trying one is a disservice to your artistic growth.

EastWestMan
EastWestMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Refining my art Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 02:18 PM Reply

At 7/4/13 12:43 PM, ornery wrote:

:I recommend trying out all kinds of different things, sometimes just for the sake of trying. Getting a tablet is something that i would do eventually anyway if i were you, doesnt have to be expensive, hell you can even borrow one from a friend if possible, see what its like. If you prefer a mouse and are efficient with it, then use a mouse. There are plenty of great artists out there who use mainly or exclusively a mouse. Getting a tablet wont suddenly fix all your problems.

I think ontop of trying to fix everything digitally, work more on getting it how you want traditionally first. You use watercolor, great. Now try different brushes, brands of paint, watercolor pencils, different paper. Look up various techniques that will get you different results. More water, less water, sponging some away, using salt, taping off areas, less pencil, more pencil, no pencil, etc.
The thing about traditional stuff is that there is so many different techniques that come with each material and surface that only trying one is a disservice to your artistic growth.

Thanks! I will try to use watercolors once I get really good at the brush-tip markers, but I will take your advice and try out techniques.