New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jurgen
Jurgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Creating a colour palette? Jun. 30th, 2013 @ 01:12 PM Reply

I've always preferred leaving my drawings black and white when I was younger drawing on paper, so I never really learned how to know what colours mix.

Are there any techniques in choosing colours to use in an art piece/animation or is it just about using your eyes? I'm semi-colour blind in that I mix up a few colours (red and green, blue and purple ect.) so colours are also a bit of a bitch in that way, though it isn't too hard to work around.

GamerTag: MEGAxCptnWalrus

Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to Creating a colour palette? Jun. 30th, 2013 @ 01:22 PM Reply

At 6/30/13 01:12 PM, Jurgen wrote: I've always preferred leaving my drawings black and white when I was younger drawing on paper, so I never really learned how to know what colours mix.

Are there any techniques in choosing colours to use in an art piece/animation or is it just about using your eyes? I'm semi-colour blind in that I mix up a few colours (red and green, blue and purple ect.) so colours are also a bit of a bitch in that way, though it isn't too hard to work around.

I'd suggest you read up on color theory it's what they learned me in design school. Once you know these basics it becomes allot easier to come up with interesting color combinations. For art i tend to use 2 primairy colors and supplement it with tones related to them.

Btw dont let your weakness get the best of you, values are far more important imo.

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature
Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Creating a colour palette? Jul. 2nd, 2013 @ 06:52 AM Reply

I have no idea how to adjust my advice to a semi-colorblind person so ill just tell you my regular way of choosing colours and hope it works for you...

1) Colours express character and mood. When you create a character , you wanna give him a mood, a feeling. You r not making a statue , you wanna give the impression of a living being and since he is not really alive , you must design him in a way that tells what kind of character he is. To accoplish this you use facial expressions , clothing , body structure , type of weaponry/gear and ofcourse color scheme . Lets say you wanna make an angry badass warrior. You will use aggressive colours like red to show he is an angry and warlike dude and metalics to show that he is a warrior. You wont be using pink though right? Or lets say you wanna draw a monster. A black monster with say , red eyes looks quite feral and predatory. Maybe add some stripes , like a tiger's to enhance the predatory feel even more. Take the same design and paint it blue with yellow polka dots. Now its more like a pokeman right? So , colour scheme expresses character. Its easy really , before you start painting , just think in your mind what kind of colours fit the mood you want to give.

2) Mixing and matching colours is very important unless your drawing a disco dance floor. I dont know how your colour blindness reacts to this but in general , try using colours that go well together. To achieve this , just test it. Decide your primary colour and then use others in combination. See what goes well and what hits the eye badly. Its a pitty to ruin an otherwise great work cause the colors are over saturated and random. There must be an even scheme , each color must compliment the other so it doesnt look like a rainbow vomit. You can sepperate colours in categories if this helps you , its very innacurate and wide but its good to get an idea..Natural colours like brown , green and grey mix well together. Blue , Red and Purple are also great in combination. Yellow and orange are also a great mix but be carefull how you use these two cause they are very bright and its often better to use them as complimentary instead of base.

I hope i helped a bit , at least this is the thought process i made when i was figuring out my own palette. Test , practice and test some more and you will find your own soon! Best of luck !

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Creating a colour palette? Jul. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:40 PM Reply

At 6/30/13 01:12 PM, Jurgen wrote: I've always preferred leaving my drawings black and white when I was younger drawing on paper, so I never really learned how to know what colours mix.

everyone is going to tell you to do colour theory, and let me tell you, if you wanna take the study approach do that, how I learned is through customization in video games, like red and gold trim works, or blue and orange works, essentially, take that feeling of "this looks good on my character" and exploit and export the fuck out of it to your work, its how I learned it, and it wasn't work, it was fun and games, so you learn quicker since you're not actually thinking about it, you're just doing and doing is better than studying, adleast that's what I think, but hey, not everyone is me so to each their own, whatever works for you.

just know that black white and greys are shades, gold is a transitional hue between yellow and orange, Cyan is too being half way between green and blue, you get the idea

bigCman321
bigCman321
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Creating a colour palette? Jul. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:19 PM Reply

On top of all the color theory stuff it can be really helpful to look at other people's work on here and especially Deviantart (the professional work not stuff crapped out of MS paint) and see what kind of color combinations they use. Also looking at color combinations that from clothing, furniture, and interior designers can be helpful, they have come up with a ton of cool color combinations that work well.

Be sure to start examining the world around you. Notice that shadows are more blue while objects receiving light tend to look a bit more orange or yellow, etc etc. If you keep working at it and don't give up you will get the hang of it eventually.

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Creating a colour palette? Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 06:33 PM Reply

At 6/30/13 01:22 PM, Flowers10 wrote: I'd suggest you read up on color theory it's what they learned me in design school. Once you know these basics it becomes allot easier to come up with interesting color combinations.

Wow that's a great chart.
Some of the few things not on it that come to mind:
-Warm colors advance while cool colors recede.
-mixing two colors that are opposite on the color wheel should make black. If you're painting with traditional media, this will be a better black than any you get from a tube.
-neutrals are beiges, browns, greys. they won't fight with your saturated colors if you chose to use them.
-earth/sky color scheme: reds and browns paired with blues, very pleasing to the human mind.

http://colorschemedesigner.com/ here there's a nice tool for picking colors- it even has settings that let those of us with full color vision see how a color scheme will look to someone with color blindness. I recommend turning on the tooltips in the help menu.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Creating a colour palette? Jul. 3rd, 2013 @ 06:37 PM Reply

At 7/3/13 06:33 PM, lovingthedark wrote: -mixing two colors that are opposite on the color wheel should make black. If you're painting with traditional media, this will be a better black than any you get from a tube.

Oh, sometimes it makes gray. Point remains though.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
Jurgen
Jurgen
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Animator
Response to Creating a colour palette? Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 02:05 PM Reply

Thanks for the help everyone. Some pretty great advice all around.

GamerTag: MEGAxCptnWalrus