New Topic Respond to this Topic
bimpy
bimpy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Opinion on this piece? Jun. 29th, 2013 @ 11:09 AM Reply

I just wanted to get your guys opinion on this picture I made. Its my fanart for bioshock 2 in case nobody got it. Is it too simple? too vague? too much going on? constructive criticism always welcomed.

Opinion on this piece?

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Opinion on this piece? Jun. 29th, 2013 @ 12:07 PM Reply

I am confused about it. What am i supposed to get from it?

That is a valid critique right there. This states that i view your artwork and i don't understand your purpose. So, your either portraying your concept too abstractly or i simply don't know enough about bioshock.

bimpy
bimpy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Opinion on this piece? Jun. 29th, 2013 @ 12:57 PM Reply

At 6/29/13 12:07 PM, PMMurphy wrote: I am confused about it. What am i supposed to get from it?

That is a valid critique right there. This states that i view your artwork and i don't understand your purpose. So, your either portraying your concept too abstractly or i simply don't know enough about bioshock.

Can you elaborate on my concept be too abstract? I've been told this before and I've never really understood what people meant by it. My Idea was that the vents around rapture were kind of a beacon of light and safety for the little sisters.

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Opinion on this piece? Jun. 29th, 2013 @ 03:04 PM Reply

At 6/29/13 12:57 PM, bimpy wrote: Can you elaborate on my concept be too abstract? I've been told this before and I've never really understood what people meant by it. My Idea was that the vents around rapture were kind of a beacon of light and safety for the little sisters.

:)

I would love to explain.

This issue often happens when you associate shapes or discontinue too many shapes and you lose resemblance with reality. The viewer looks at your artwork and doesn't see anything to associate itself to real life, there for it gets confused with what is going on.

Often times it is important to have good focal points and use a good composition this way things are very well done. When you start piling your concept together, that is fine, but you need to realize you still need to keep a good realistic tone to reality in your work in order to pull your execution of your concept off correctly.

Alot of times you need to realize that, your concept may make sense to you. But if nobody can understand or relate your concept to anything they know, it isn't a good concept at all. Often times when people look at artwork they view it and they can indeed associate the identy of your objects with real life things. So they can recognize squres or circles. Now composition plays and roll and you need to understand that not everyone is gonna get your concept. On top of this you shouldn't expect people to get it either unless its intentional to get it. If you want people to get it you need to make its extremely obvious and elaborate on your concept with reality and let people argue and discuss it, this way people will eventually lead on to what you want to portray. But if you are not concerned with this, having a piece that is noticeable without any real connection to your concept is just fine.

So if you leave people confused with your concept. If your concept is indeed capable of being explained, you can elaborate on this concept in one on one conversation. So the next time the viewer looks at your artwork they enjoy it all the much more.

M-Maher
M-Maher
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Opinion on this piece? Jun. 29th, 2013 @ 05:52 PM Reply

At 6/29/13 11:09 AM, bimpy wrote: I just wanted to get your guys opinion on this picture I made. Its my fanart for bioshock 2 in case nobody got it. Is it too simple? too vague? too much going on? constructive criticism always welcomed.

Its actually quite delightful. The first glance you have you notice its big daddy, and on second inspection it shows the silhouette of the little sister.

The edges are a little jagged however and that underwater scenescape of what I assume to be the lights of rapture that fills the body of the big daddy doesn't quite indicate this very well, its got it where it counts and for what its worth I must say its good.

Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 06
Artist
Response to Opinion on this piece? Jul. 1st, 2013 @ 03:52 PM Reply

I think its a very interesting style , i dont see simiral pieces often. Im not familiar with bioshock at all so i cant comment on the messege but just the style. One thing to corect is your linework. See , the edges around the objects are quite rough and pixelated. This strikes the eye badly and obscures the details. To avoid this , try drawing with faster strokes. It will take some time to master but , you should be bold. Dont drag the pen slowly trying to create a line. Just draw it , quick strokes give you clean , even linework. It takes some time to practice but once you do your quality will get a huge boost and your speed aswell. The second and last thing id like to comment about is the clockshape that is used as an eye. I bet it has to do with the story but there is an issue. The character you drew is like a void , a hole to space. The clock on the middle feels a bit abstract. You can correct this by either merging the shape of the clock and the character as to seem like they are one , or you can actually use the characters shape as a portal , thus sending the clock on the far back using depth in your advantage. I hope this helps , if you wish to follow instructions , i suggest you work on my first comment , fast lines=clean lines.

bimpy
bimpy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Opinion on this piece? Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 01:51 AM Reply

Hope this is a little better i soften the edges like everyone said.

Opinion on this piece?

bimpy
bimpy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Artist
Response to Opinion on this piece? Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 01:53 AM Reply

At 7/4/13 01:51 AM, bimpy wrote: Hope this is a little better i soften the edges like everyone said.

Also in commemoration of the new Wolverine movie i made a little minimalist poster.

Opinion on this piece?