00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

FylypFimpossible just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

N G M T '13 - Final Results!

3,076 Views | 31 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 12:01:50

You've fought well. You've done your best. You've created beautiful and spectacular pieces of music against overwhelming odds in the face of mighty challenges. And now, it's time to display who has done so with the most skill. They have been chosen, not by us, but by you.

The NGMT is OVER! If you don't know what it was, please go here. Also, this is going to be one hell of a long post.

First off, here are the results of round 3.

With 3 votes, the victor is... PeterSatera! Again! Conglatulations, sir. I hope you enjoy your glorious victory of glory.

With 2 votes, the second place winner is ZipZipper! (There's no tie this round, surprisingly enough.)

There is no third place, because I am NOT going to have a 4-way tie. I'm sorry, but I'm not doing that. Instead, here are the final scores for round 3:

Track 1: MockOff - New Found Land - 0 votes.
Track 2: papkee - Depth - 1 vote.
Track 3: ZipZipper - Bim Berugmi - 2 votes.
Track 4: PeterSatera - Pitfall Reactor - 3 votes.
Track 5: bassfiddlejones - Pierce the Darkness - 1 vote.
Track 6: Jernemies - Homeofdwarves - 1 vote.
Track 7: SourJovis - Primum Canticum - 1 vote.
Track 8: Neon-Bard - Delving into Desolation - 0 votes.
Track 9: johnfn - NGMT-noguitar2 - 0 votes.

Congratulations to everybody! Now, I shall make a whole bunch of spaces to split the thread into two sections without posting any spoilers about the final results.

<================> FINAL RESULTS <================>

THE FINAL VICTOR: PeterSatera with a whopping EIGHT votes!

RUNNER-UP: ZipZipper with a still-wonderful FIVE votes!

BARELY SQUEEZED IN: bassfiddlejones with FOUR votes!

BARELY SQUEEZED OUT: Stecho with FOUR votes!

bassfiddlejones has risen victorious to the top three for the following reason: He participated in all three rounds and showed some real spirit and devotion to the contest. Thank you!

The final scores for everyone are...

@PeterSatera: 8 votes.
@ZipZipper: 5 votes.
@bassfiddlejones: 4 votes.
@Step @Echo: 4 votes.
@Neon-Bard: 3 votes.
@johnfn: 2 votes.
@alternativesolution: 2 votes.
@Jernemies: 2 votes.
@CDMusic: 1 vote.
@InYourDreams: 1 vote.
@DivoFST: 1 vote.
@frootza: 1 vote.
@SilverPoyozo: 1 vote.
@SourJovis: 1 vote.
@Papkee: 1 vote.
@Chongo: 1 vote maybe.
If I didn't say your name, you didn't get any votes. I'm sorry. :(

The three victors can send me the information necessary for me to send their prize money to them via paypal. (well, if you want your money. I can't see why you wouldn't.)

Prizes:
1st place overall: A super-speshul signature, frontpaging a piece of your choice, and an awesome $75!
2nd place overall: A marginally less speshul signature, frontpaging a piece of your choice, and a sweet $50.
3rd place overall: A somewhat-cool signature, frontpaging a piece of your choice, and a still-cool $25.

Everyone did wonderfully, and I hope you'll all come back next time! :)

Next time will be the winter after I've raised enough money for some decent prizes (even if it's just 50,25,10). If you'd like to speed this process up, feel free to tell me if you'd like to put some money in the pot. Don't worry, it'll all go to the next contest!

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 12:02:50

Now, there is one last thing. If you've got a little bit of time, it would be wonderful if you could answer some questions about the contest so I can make it better!

1. Would you rather have the current one-entry-one-vote system or a system of "One submission gets two votes. If both votes are used, the people who submitted get one vote added to their count."? Alternative voting systems are being considered, but these are the choices for the next contest.

2. Would you be willing to download a file or two and use specific free VSTs in a round?

3. Considering the winner is decided by the votes, would you be willing to allow the hosts to submit entries? If there is a non-submitting person counting votes and relaying them to me for posting of the thread?

4. Would you like to allow non-participants to vote, or specific non-participants to vote (such as the hosts)?

5. Do you believe the hosts need to review submissions considering the amount of feedback? (don't worry, we'll still do this for the top 3 and at least 5 people with 0 votes regardless)

6. Is there any way you can think of to make the submission and voting process easier/clearer?

7. What did you think of the website? Was it helpful? What would be improved? (from Samulis)

8. Would you be willing to need to use one or multiple imposed melodies as a theme for one of the rounds?

9. Which round was your favorite and why? (no need for an essay, a quick reason is fine)

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 12:09:25

Congratulations to everybody who participated, you've all done a fantastic job throughout this competition! I was impressed with a lot of the submissions, and discovered a few new artists along the way, which is always an encouraging turnout!

I'll be posting my reviews on the winners' songs, as well as some personal favorites of mine, over the course of the week, so watch your feed!

Once again, congratulations everybody, hope to see you all again for the next installment of the NGMT!

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 12:58:31

Even though I'm not eligible for a prize, and I only took part in one round, this was still a blast. Lots of great feedback and some incredibly good music too. Congratulations to PeterSatera, ZipZipper and bassfiddlejones.

At 6/28/13 12:02 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: 1. Would you rather have the current one-entry-one-vote system or a system of "One submission gets two votes. If both votes are used, the people who submitted get one vote added to their count."? Alternative voting systems are being considered, but these are the choices for the next contest.

Well, to be honest I'd prefer just a simple "top 3" kind of voting. People are asked to choose their top 3 favourites, and their first favourite is given 3 points, 2nd favourite is given 2 points, and 3rd favourite is given 1 points, similar to the Eurovision. It'll make things more interesting, avoid ties, and simply makes more sense than everyone being allowed to vote for 2 tracks and they're both given 1 point. More often than not, if I vote for 2 tracks, I'll probably still think one is better than the other, and yet they'll still both get 1 point, hence a top 3 making more sense. Also adding 1 to your vote count if you vote twice sounds like too much of a forced way of encouraging people to vote and will get complicated if someone simply isn't able to vote for a round (no time to hear all submissions, limited internet connection, etc).

If those are the ONLY two voting systems for next time, though, I'd go with the second. We need to be able to vote for more tracks to avoid ties.

2. Would you be willing to download a file or two and use specific free VSTs in a round?

I would, but VSTs might be out of the question (complications arising if the VST being used isn't compatible with the DAW [e.g. Reason] or the OS [e.g. Mac OS]).

3. Considering the winner is decided by the votes, would you be willing to allow the hosts to submit entries? If there is a non-submitting person counting votes and relaying them to me for posting of the thread?

It sounds a little weird for the host to take part in the contest but I'm indifferent.

4. Would you like to allow non-participants to vote, or specific non-participants to vote (such as the hosts)?

Hosts and people who took part in at least one round should be able to vote. Otherwise voting should be kept private in my opinion.

5. Do you believe the hosts need to review submissions considering the amount of feedback? (don't worry, we'll still do this for the top 3 and at least 5 people with 0 votes regardless)

It would be nice to have. Up to the hosts.

6. Is there any way you can think of to make the submission and voting process easier/clearer?

Having some sort of newspost that keeps everyone updated on what's going on, with links to each thread as the contest progresses, and an updated list of who took part and how many votes they have overall.

7. What did you think of the website? Was it helpful? What would be improved? (from Samulis)

Great website. Needs to be advertised more in the threads.

8. Would you be willing to need to use one or multiple imposed melodies as a theme for one of the rounds?

Yes, would be an interesting theme. As long as the melody isn't crap haha.

9. Which round was your favorite and why? (no need for an essay, a quick reason is fine)

Biodome because it was the only one I took part in. c:

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 13:08:30

1. The two vote system or whatever other alternative that could be brought up.
2. That's an interesting idea for a round. Just saying that I loved the idea of the round 2 time pressure challenge.
3. So you basically want your turn right? Hahahahaha. I think I'd rather have hosts be hosts...
4. ...but that is an interesting thought. I think it would be okay to have hosts show their view.
5. If you mean write your own reviews like the participants did for each other in the threads, then yeah that would be cool. The more reviews the merrier.
6. Has it been difficult? I can't really see how it was that confusing, though definitely the voting process was iffy, but that's being brought up in question 1 anyways. I liked whoever's idea it was to subtract a vote from someone who doesn't vote, unless they give a very good excuse I suppose lol.
7. I thought the website was fine...though I mainly stayed updated through here sorry sssss...
8. What? Sure.
9. Oh I said before round 2 but I didn't see this question until now wahey. I just think it's good to be put under stress like that.

Thanks for the second place everybady, but damn you Peeta Sateraaaa!!!!

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 13:20:28

At 6/28/13 12:02 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: Now, there is one last thing. If you've got a little bit of time, it would be wonderful if you could answer some questions about the contest so I can make it better!

1. Would you rather have the current one-entry-one-vote system or a system of "One submission gets two votes. If both votes are used, the people who submitted get one vote added to their count."? Alternative voting systems are being considered, but these are the choices for the next contest.

1. I think the contest would benefit greatly from having multiple votes per person and awarding people for voting is definitely the way to go. A 2 vote both counting the same or a 3,2,1 vote per person would both work great, in the 3,2,1 there would be a lot more motivation for the average contestant since a lot of people get 0 votes as it is even though they actually have a good submission. Also hearing to a lot of track and only voting in 1 is heartbreaking.

2. Yes i totally would!

3. Yes.

4. The host its a definite yes, at least giving them 25% of the voting power would be great. Other people it depends on the voting power but something like 60% contestants, 25% judges and 15% outsiders could work nicely.

5. Not really, if the feedback remains the same next NGMT its more than enough.

6. The voting would become a lot more appealing to me the way i explained it but not exactly more simple.

7. You had most of the info clearly noted in the post, but the addition of the georgious website made things a lot more appealing!

8. Yes sure! You guys are the hosts, be creative an we will go with the flow :D

9. Well i loved the first round because of the theme, the challenges where equally smart and the artwork connected was a piece of art.

Many congrats to you guys, the NGMT was an absolute success and if you are able to maintain prizes of any value (these were ridiculously high) im sure NGMT has everything it needs to rise to power in NG and become one of the most respected contests, it already is at my eyes.
Also im very sorry to have abandoned ship in the last round...but chances to place top 3 were really low and i was feeling no inspiration at all so i chose to focus in Clabtrap and A.I.M.
Congrats PeterSatera, you are a real inspiration and obviously one of the best composers around NG!

No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...

Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 14:02:50

At 6/28/13 12:01 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: There is no third place, because I am NOT going to have a 4-way tie. I'm sorry, but I'm not doing that.

Third place is third place. Still counts.

At 6/28/13 12:02 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: 1. Would you rather have the current one-entry-one-vote system or a system of "One submission gets two votes. If both votes are used, the people who submitted get one vote added to their count."? Alternative voting systems are being considered, but these are the choices for the next contest.

I'm for two votes. Only one vote per entry makes it unpredictable and gritty. I have some alternate systems I want to propose though. See below. Rewarding voting is a good idea/must because you have an advantage when you don't vote and that isn't fair.

My DAWs I'm currently using don't support VSTs so no. Unless you can use them as individual instruments as well, or if there's another not too complicated way you can use them without having to pay for 500 dollar software. It sounds interesting, but too much of a hassle.

I think not sorry. I like there's a separation between the hosts on one end and participants on the other. I'm sure you won't abuse your power as host, but we can never tell for sure, and a lot of problems may arise.

This is one of those problems. The point of the competition is that you don't know who's who when you vote. The host knows who made what, so his vote isn't the same as the others, and it defeats the point of the competition.

No, but it would still be nice.

It's easy and clear. I don't have every day time to vote, so one week voting time would be better for me. Also perhaps it's best to send the vote to skye instead of other contributors, since skye has to know all of the votes in the end anyway before the round is finished, and this time the results were delayed because of this.

It looks good the last time I saw it. I should check again. This time it wasn't extremely helpful since it was only actively used in the second round. Next time when it works better and quicker, it could be nice to use it more intensively. I like how you can listen to all of the submissions of the round, and how it displays all of the artwork and information.

Yeah, could be fun. But please hand out the melody as midi. I can usually figure it out, but it isn't much fun.

2, because I liked the theme and there were many good entries.

An alternate voting system I want to propose is this:
-Give one point by default for each submission per round. Why? Because the more rounds each person enters, the more interesting the competition becomes, so that should be encouraged. If people submit they put effort in it, and effort should be rewarded. As it is now someone who decides to enter the third round only has as much an advantage as someone who submitted, voted and reviewed in the first 2 rounds but didn't get any votes. Which is of course more motivating for people to enter the ongoing competition, but not so much for the people who worked hard and got nothing.

-Give a point for handing in all of the votes. Like mentioned earlier, you can't vote for yourself, so by not voting you decrease the chance of others to win, thereby increasing your own chance. This should go for every round, because I don't see any other way that would work fairly.

This means you can get up to 6 bonus points. This sounds like a lot, and it is, but it has an advantage besides the ones I already mentioned. No one who put effort in it and actively took part to make it all work goes home disappointed. Besides if all put maximum effort in it they all get 6 points and it evens out.

-Multiple votes is a good idea. The more votes, the more balanced it will become and the larger the differences between the contestants. This will also counter balance the 6 default points more. Talking about more votes; why 2? Why not make it 3 instead? It's always a matter of the first 3 places in a competition, most people will have a top 3 in their head when they listen to the songs, so it seems logical to give 3 votes. It still seems and interesting idea to me to make the 3 votes weighted. Everyone likes one song better than the other, so everyone should make a top 3, where the first place gets 3 points, the second 2 and the third 1. I personally don't think this will make it more complex at all.

If I can make a suggestion for another round it's this; someone makes a silent film/animation (or at least without music), and the contestants need to create music for it that fits. Seems interesting to me.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 14:20:44

Nice job everyone!

Thanks to the hosts for putting on a really excellent contest! I would go as far as to say that it was one of the best I've participated in, thanks to the format and the amazing comments from all the participants.

At 6/28/13 12:02 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: Now, there is one last thing. If you've got a little bit of time, it would be wonderful if you could answer some questions about the contest so I can make it better!

The scoring system I see used a lot (like here http://compo.thasauce.net/) is 3-2-1, where first place gets 3 points, second gets 2, and third place gets one. I think that if you're going to make the top 3 places important, you have to give voters the ability to distinguish their top 3 favorite songs. Otherwise you get weird stuff like in round 1 where everyone in second ties with 1 vote.

The other advantage to this system is that an individual voter gives more points towards their favorite song. This is important because in some rounds you could think that one song is significantly better than another, but if each vote counts for 1, the results won't show it.

I would suggest a sample pack round, but VST could be fun too :)

Yes. If you give me advance notice, I could build you a simple website that would do the job of the non-submitting person :-)

No. Seems like it would be too easy to ask your friends to vote. Hosts could vote perhaps.

If we get an equivalent amount of feedback, there seems like there isn't much of a purpose ;-) But you could change my mind if the hosts were pro and could provide really good and targeted feedback. For example, the review that Step gave my song Biohome.

I mentioned to you that any round with specific rules (cough sample pack round cough) should have a grace period of a day. This isn't for adding new content, but so that people who make errors (like me!) can fix them.

Ha, sorry to be blunt but it was kind of pointless.

No, unless they were tiny phrases. I am really obsessive about my melodies.

The timed round. For the two week rounds, due to other obligations (school) I only had 3 days for the first and 1.5 days for the second. I could tell that other people were taking more time than I had. This seemed unfair to me because not everyone has that much free time. Even though I only had a single day for the timed round, I thought that was more fair proportionally.

Come join music competitions on Chips Compo and hang on our Discord!

Good artists copy. Great artists get banned from the Audio Portal.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 14:21:06

At 6/28/13 02:02 PM, SourJovis wrote: If I can make a suggestion for another round it's this; someone makes a silent film/animation (or at least without music), and the contestants need to create music for it that fits. Seems interesting to me.

Aaaah, I forgot to mention this. If anybody has an idea for another round, PLEASE say it! :D

I might use it in a future contest, and you will get credit for the idea!

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 14:22:54

Clown circus carousel fairground acrobat amusement park accordion calliope waltz themed round.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 14:29:42

Hey guys, it was nice being able to help oversee this... I WILL get those reviews out there eventually. XD

Thanks all for participating!

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 14:37:17

@johnfn

The scoring system I see used a lot (like here http://compo.thasauce.net/) is 3-2-1, where first place gets 3 points, second gets 2, and third place gets one. I think that if you're going to make the top 3 places important, you have to give voters the ability to distinguish their top 3 favorite songs. Otherwise you get weird stuff like in round 1 where everyone in second ties with 1 vote.

@SourJovis

-Multiple votes is a good idea. The more votes, the more balanced it will become and the larger the differences between the contestants. This will also counter balance the 6 default points more. Talking about more votes; why 2? Why not make it 3 instead? It's always a matter of the first 3 places in a competition, most people will have a top 3 in their head when they listen to the songs, so it seems logical to give 3 votes. It still seems and interesting idea to me to make the 3 votes weighted. Everyone likes one song better than the other, so everyone should make a top 3, where the first place gets 3 points, the second 2 and the third 1. I personally don't think this will make it more complex at all.

I would rather not go for three votes. It seems like slightly too much, as I'd rather keep the area not flooded. Also, this would provide a bit more of an incentive to vote. The weighted idea *might* work, and I think it's worth considering for the next contest (might do so, actually), especially since most people like it. As for rewarding people for submitting, I've noticed in multiple contests that people just kinda submit stuff which don't make any sense, like they just felt "Hm, I've been working on this might as well submit it and see how I do". The people who are truly interested in taking part will vote, barring other circumstances.

At 6/28/13 02:22 PM, ZipZipper wrote: Clown circus carousel fairground acrobat amusement park accordion calliope waltz themed round.

As beautiful as that would be, no. (also lol Calliope. I sense homestuck)

Also, considering what happened this time, there may not be any other hosts aside from me (and possibly Samulis since he has the website). Is everyone cool with that?

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 15:04:33

Alternatives are always a good thing. I suppose this is okay to try out.

Would this not limit us further with the already in place theme and challenge? Or would this count as one of the challenges? (or...theme..?)

Who would this non-submitting person be? Would this designated position last throughout the whole contest, or would it bounce to someone else each round, in the process keeping it very inconsistent?

I kind of like the system the way it is, in that regard. Having the only people who submit get a chance to vote sounds just right. It's one unique feature of this contest I can appreciate.

I suppose "need" isn't the right word... Though I'm not sure what a host would do, then? Since you're the one creating the threads and stuff. Though I was happy when so many people decided to give even just a sentence or two about each track, instead of going with the option to choose only one or a few - all the participation... that was just really awesome.

Well, I saw that ZipZipper had submitted his vote to one of the hosts but you hadn't received it in time or something? So maybe just PM'ing either all or one specific host each time with their vote..

I like it! When I initially went on (I don't know if it's been changed since that update in round 2), the background art blended in too well with the text on top - I think this was for the Monochromatic World themed on - so the text didn't really stand out enough to be easily read. Though that is a very minor thing. Otherwise, the layout was simple and clean!

That's a restriction I'm not particularly fond of, since having a re-established melody would create incentives to make a song based in a particular style. How is it possible to keep a melody so neutral as to not affect the type of music it would be used in? Basically, for a challenge, I guess this is ok. But definitely not for a theme...

The third was probably my favorite. It had a fun theme and 2 weeks to do it (as opposed to 3 days)

----

Congrats to Peter Satera on the 1st place win! That being said, everyone did quite well :D
I am liking this contest a lot and am looking forward to the next one :)

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 15:12:03

At 6/28/13 03:04 PM, alternativesolution wrote: That's a restriction I'm not particularly fond of, since having a pre-established melody would create incentives to make a song based in a particular style. How is it possible to keep a melody so neutral as to not affect the type of music it would be used in? Basically, for a theme, I guess this is ok. But definitely not for a challenge...

Brain is not working. I suppose this is when I try coffee? Ha, anyway, FIXED.

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 15:20:19

At 6/28/13 02:37 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: As for rewarding people for submitting, I've noticed in multiple contests that people just kinda submit stuff which don't make any sense, like they just felt "Hm, I've been working on this might as well submit it and see how I do". The people who are truly interested in taking part will vote, barring other circumstances.

Okay. Since you get a point for voting, and you can only vote when you participate, it would work out in the end I think. The more you keep this competition running, the more points you get.

Btw I voted track 4.

Also congrats to all the winners for winning. And to all other participants for making the winners look better.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 15:54:11

Wow! Amazing job everyone! This is one of the best online music contests I have ever sponsored! When Skye had first proposed this contest I knew I had to be part of it one way or another! I hope to see you guys back in action next year, and after seeing how awesome the turn out was, we might be willing to up the stakes here. For a contest with 3 rounds it went by so quickly, and many of you were able to pump out awesome music in a short period of time. This is something that many game developers and producers value a lot in a composer.

Congrats again to the winners, and to those who participated, you should all be very proud in the work you've created for this contest!

It really was a great honor to support this contest and the prizes for the finalists!

See you guys next year if NGMT is still around!

A gold star for everyone :D

<Professional Audio Specialist>

OFFICIAL MUSIC SITE!

Check out something I did for NATA 2013! Hikarian's winning NATA 2013 Entry

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 16:09:55

So close to placing, but yet so far. Congratulations to the winners, you guys deserve it! :D

@PeterSatera: You are an inspiration! I hope I can develop my skills to such a level that I could perhaps be placed in your tier of musical genius.

@ZipZipper: Your music is filled with an abundance of creativity and vivid imagery! Mind if I borrow some of those some time? Perhaps for a few days. Or 90...

@bassfiddlejones: I think on some levels, our styles are somewhat similar...But man, I could learn a great many things from you! Your arrangements are simply fantastic!

@Step @Echo: You guys are just a dynamic duo, you know that? We were helpless to resist in the second round. :)

Of course, I could go on about how everybody brought something to the competition. We all have our strengths, and it is obvious that everyone worked hard. So give yourselves a pat on the back for entering!

I can honestly say that this has been the most fun I have had participating in a contest. I consider my own participation in this contest as a huge success. I have met new artists, listened to some amazing pieces, challenged myself, improved upon what I know, and the list goes on. Thanks to the judges, and those who worked to keep this contest running smoothly. Can't wait for the next NGMT! :D

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:

[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 16:39:19

Oh god you just asked a question about 5/9 questions.
Alright, I'll bite.

At 6/28/13 03:04 PM, alternativesolution wrote:
Would this not limit us further with the already in place theme and challenge? Or would this count as one of the challenges? (or...theme..?)

It would be a challenge. The theme is what the piece is meant to convey, the challenge is what limits you.

Who would this non-submitting person be? Would this designated position last throughout the whole contest, or would it bounce to someone else each round, in the process keeping it very inconsistent?

The non-submitting person would be designated prior to the beginning of the contest and they would not be allowed to submit. I would not have the same person do this year after year, because that would lock someone out of the contest permanently.

I suppose "need" isn't the right word... Though I'm not sure what a host would do, then? Since you're the one creating the threads and stuff. Though I was happy when so many people decided to give even just a sentence or two about each track, instead of going with the option to choose only one or a few - all the participation... that was just really awesome.

This is why I was thinking that I would be the only host next time. I've been creating the threads, counting votes, doing... well, almost all the work (EXCEPT SAMULIS BECAUSE OF THE WEBSITE). camoshark agrees that it would probably be better, and I don't know about Stunkel since he hasn't been on for the last few days.

That's a restriction I'm not particularly fond of, since having a re-established melody would create incentives to make a song based in a particular style. How is it possible to keep a melody so neutral as to not affect the type of music it would be used in? Basically, for a challenge, I guess this is ok. But definitely not for a theme...

I suppose I should clarify - if I were to do this, there would be AT LEAST FIVE OPTIONS of pre-established melodies to pick from. It would also be a challenge, not a theme (though who knows, I did try to work the themes into the challenges).

Stuff.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 17:33:20

At 6/28/13 04:39 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote:
Would this designated position last throughout the whole contest, or would it bounce to someone else each round, in the process keeping it very inconsistent?
The non-submitting person would be designated prior to the beginning of the contest and they would not be allowed to submit. I would not have the same person do this year after year.

I see. And of course! Not for each year, just for the whole contest. :P

I suppose I should clarify - if I were to do this, there would be AT LEAST FIVE OPTIONS of pre-established melodies to pick from. It would also be a challenge, not a theme (though who knows, I did try to work the themes into the challenges).

At least five...that's sounds interesting. And thanks for the clarification!

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-28 18:47:50

Alright, i'll throw my 2 cents in the ring (sorry if the format makes it hard to read, mobile).

1. While you, as a host, might not prefer it, I was thinking about 3-2-1, which has already been mentioned here. One vote per person is harsh, considering that people obviously have to choose a favorite to vote for, leahing the others without attention. It's harsh, because the whole contest was won by the total amount of votes (which obviously go for the favorite, and so the "second/insert here best" places get... I don't know, random? D: Hell, I voted for my "second best" favorite in all rounds (3,8,7) just so that the top/cinematic tracks wouldn't get all the votes. And because of how track 6 (InYourDreams's track) ended up, i'm fairly sure I was not the only one. Anyway, just do something about it.

2. Only if it will be ZynAddSubFX >:D Jk, I could, provided it works without hitches on Lmms + shitlap combo. It's just that most of the time they don't D: Considering it can't be provided to all setups, I don't think a "one synth challenge" is a good idea here.

3. Idc honestly

4. No

5. No. In case the idea was to look at how much feedback one has already got from others, no. Just let the hosts review what's been promised/spoken about/whoevr they want (there's nothing to stop them from reving too much ;) )

6. Skipping this one for now

7. The website was clear and easily navigated, no minuses about the functionality

8. Ok by me

9. The biodome challenge, first because there were two pictures kindly provided. The picture (second one from the inside of the dome) was inspirational to me. Also, I didn't get too much disadvantage for being busy after that one day I made my entry in (still proud of that), because everyone else also didn't have a shitload of time to make theirs in.

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-29 01:40:24

YAY! Thanks for the votes guys, I'll gladly take 3rd in a competition that involves high-grade composers such as yourselves. I was seriously blown away by some of these submissions. The creative minds you all have are fascinating and awesome. I'm most definitely looking forward to the next time this comes around, such a great idea for a contest! Congrats @PeterSatera and @ZipZipper, you guys are phenomenal. Great work.

1. I like the updated form, 2 votes gives you a +1. I like it.

2. I'm not sure. I like the idea with leveling the playing field, I suppose, but you'll be looking at a slew of compatibility issues here.

3. I think this is generally ok, but if there are things like ties and other questionables, the host who has submitted a piece is no longer indifferent. If there's a fair way to do it I say why not.

4. I think adding host votes is a fantastic idea. That way, if things are skewed a little bit, host votes would theoretically represent the objectively best pieces on the board instead of the most popular or the most "feely".

5. I mean, what else are they going to do?

6. I thought it worked out pretty well.

7. I hardly used it - everything I generally need was in the threads, but if it were given a more central role that would be awesome.

8. Sure, why not?

9. I loved all of them, but Round 2 was one of my favorites because of the thematic possibilities.

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-29 02:15:57

didn't participate (wanted to but didn't get around to it). but i'll answer the Qs anyway

1. one entry, one vote. imo if two or more people collab then they should earn points as a unit and have their points as soloists separate if they choose to work alone in later rounds.

2. yeah that sounds good. maybe not VSTs though because not everyone can use them easily

3. if there's a prize at the end then no, that's a conflict of interests. otherwise go for it!

4. if you're worried about

5. hell no. if you, as a host, don't want to review something, then don't. you're already putting in the effort to run the contest, you don't owe anybody anything.

6. nah

7. didn't look at it, so N/A i guess :v

8. sure

9. the monochrome world round had the best briefing, so i guess that was my favourite.

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-29 02:23:13

At 6/29/13 02:15 AM, midimachine wrote: 4. if you're worried about

...people using multiple accounts or soliciting votes then you let people "sign up" to be voters (just a post expressing interest is enough) and only accept votes from people on that list (as well as people submitting tracks)

and then if you get way too many people saying "yes i want to vote" then you know something's up and you can restrict voting to the people submitting tracks. you can change anything you want about the competition at any time, really.

p.s. i am gay

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-29 03:56:54

Sorry for the late replies everyone!

Thank you so much for the congrats everyone! Like most of you have said, it was amazing to participate and although the prize is excellent and I really really appreciate it, the feedback has been superb and the competition community has been an absolute blast! You guys really made this competition super supportive, I felt we wern't really going against each other but more pushing our competitors to new heights. With every round just by being here I learned so much! With all the comments about my stuff been really great and constructive I really felt the pressure was really on to do something that was better than my last and because of that I felt I found a new level of understanding and experience.

With the lack of feedback from me this round and with the problems we're all dealing with in the studio I've been somewhat distant this round. However, if you would like an indepth review on your newgrounds account for your last track in the competition I am more than willing to give it. Just hit me up with a PM when you have uploaded it and I'll give the feedback.

Thanks to Skye for the excellent competition as well as Camoshark, Stunkel and Samulis for hosting! DeadlyFishes for selfless donation to drive, inspire and motivate creativity and Scott for the inspirational visuals. Your cinematic impression throughout spurs on other creative people here and that's something you should be proud of, each track is driven by the concept. Fantastic work. Let me know if you would like any feedback on any visuals too.

At 6/28/13 12:02 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote:

Personally, I think the multiple vote system would work. Picking your top and then a second choice sounds great. I would even consider a third choice. To get more votes in the running

I would be, Absolutely!

I think due to the amount of work, then yes I would. Only if we have a single impartial person to receive the votes for tallying. So yes.

I think Hosts should be entitled to vote. Non participants I'm on the fence with. Not sure as we can start getting the whole 'vote for my friend thing'. We need something to make people vote though, because people are making tracks and then not voting. We need to possibly get an additional point for voting.

Considering the feedback we have seen then reviews are always welcomed, however it's a lot of work. So if chosen not to then I am absolutely fine with that.

Maybe a possible poll on the website or here which reveals the tallied votes once the time is up. But this is time consuming and account dependable, so it's way too much work imo. Clarity is fairly good right now, and anything which was unclear was made clear for people quite soon I thought.

It's great and helpful, makes things feel a lot more official. it definitely needs more integration into the contest as all the information is here too. So you need to get something from the website that isnt here. It's tricky because it's a NGs competition.

Absolutely. Agree with some posters - should be provided in midi.

Believe it or not, the round I didn't participate in. BioDome. The concept I thought was the best. Monochrome I felt was good and the theme was great but I prefer the newer futuristic stuff, just a personal preference. With the last round I liked it, but I felt it was too widespread in theme, people didnt know to go futuristic or simplistic at one point, so i think the visuals and description needs to be instantly connected. The biodome is great imo, its said so much to us all, and brought out some superb results which were all of the same theme. I was participating in it, i just never got to finish my track. So i can appreciate how enjoyable it was.

Once again, thanks to everyone. Your comments are really appreciated and the feedback has really helped me improve!

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-30 11:05:13

1. I actually think that the current voting method is rather simple and efficient. Alternative methods such as the 'two vote' system could prove to be far more efficient though.

2. Absolutely! I think that would make for an interesting round. As long as everybody can use said VSTs, then it should be fine.

3. I would prefer there to be a separation between host and participant, but then again...The more the merrier right?

4. Non-participants: no, not really (this could make things complicated). Specific non-participants (hosts): yeah!

5. I think it would be nice to hear feedback from the hosts. The more feedback that is provided, the better. :)

7. I think the website in general is fantastic. It does need to be advertised more.

8. Yeah, of course!

9. To be honest, I loved all three rounds. My favorite would have to be the first though. Only being able to utilize four instruments proved to be an exciting challenge! I will reiterate that all three rounds were awesome. :)

If you have a moment, check out some of my work:

[Music here on Newgrounds] [Soundcloud]

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-06-30 19:21:09

Can't wait for my four way tie third place banner.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-07-01 01:19:02

What is all this front paging talk I hear?

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-07-01 07:33:46

At 7/1/13 01:19 AM, bassfiddlejones wrote: What is all this front paging talk I hear?

=D

(here are the sigs for those who want them)
ZipZipper 2nd place
http://www.filz.us/files/4006faa6/eab/LUC_ZipZipper.jpg

ZipZipper overall 2nd place
http://www.filz.us/files/3ef1ce45/c19/_zipzipper.jpg

bassfiddlejones 3rd place
http://www.filz.us/files/a0632eef/aa6/_bassfiddlejones.jpg

step and echo 3rd place
http://www.filz.us/files/3f9bc8fd/0c1/_step.jpg
http://www.filz.us/files/9bfed3c0/1a0/_echo.jpg

Any changes needed, hit me up.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-07-01 09:13:18

At 6/30/13 07:21 PM, SourJovis wrote: Can't wait for my four way tie third place banner.

BBS Signature

Response to N G M T '13 - Final Results! 2013-07-01 10:32:33

At 7/1/13 09:13 AM, SourJovis wrote:
At 6/30/13 07:21 PM, SourJovis wrote: Can't wait for my four way tie third place banner.

http://www.filz.us/files/1c8d908a/238/SourJovis.jpg

BBS Signature