New Topic Respond to this Topic
PurplePrawn
PurplePrawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
What canvas size do you guys use? 2013-06-27 02:19:26 Reply

I'm new to digital painting, and I've just been using flash to draw and cell shading. I want to start using photoshop, but I have no idea what canvas size to use. I've seen people say they use anywhere from like 1000x1000 pixels to 6000x6000 pixels. I understand that the bigger the canvas, the better things look, but I don't want to be using an unnecessarily huge canvas size. I just want to hear some suggestions based on your guys' experience. Thanks!

lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to What canvas size do you guys use? 2013-06-27 02:24:09 Reply

I usually start with a minimum of 2000-3000 pixels on my smallest side, 300 dpi. You can always resize something to make it smaller, but bigger- not so much.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

PurplePrawn
PurplePrawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to What canvas size do you guys use? 2013-06-27 02:28:45 Reply

What about on the larger side? I'm gonna be making paintings with multiple characters in them.

J-qb
J-qb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Artist
Response to What canvas size do you guys use? 2013-06-27 03:14:11 Reply

At 6/27/13 02:28 AM, PurplePrawn wrote: What about on the larger side? I'm gonna be making paintings with multiple characters in them.

That would depend on the aspect ratio you want.
don't worry about the dpi unless you want to print something, in which case you should ideally use the desired size at 300dpi.
Photoshop and other rasterbased drawing programs have trouble maintaining sharpness at pixel level. That's why I prefer to always work at at least twice the size you will eventually be working/viewing it at. Remember, you can always scale down, but it's very hard to scale up.

NEVER LOOSE FAITH IN MANCUNT

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to What canvas size do you guys use? 2013-06-27 03:35:25 Reply

At 6/27/13 02:28 AM, PurplePrawn wrote: What about on the larger side? I'm gonna be making paintings with multiple characters in them.

Depends on what kind of rectangle I want for my canvas.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

PurplePrawn
PurplePrawn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Animator
Response to What canvas size do you guys use? 2013-06-27 03:54:15 Reply

Photoshop and other rasterbased drawing programs have trouble maintaining sharpness at pixel level. That's why I prefer to always work at at least twice the size you will eventually be working/viewing it at. Remember, you can always scale down, but it's very hard to scale up.

Thanks, this is really helpful!

Kkylimos
Kkylimos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Artist
Response to What canvas size do you guys use? 2013-06-27 07:14:03 Reply

It depends but usually , the bigger the better. Have in mind that if a drawing is big , it appears perfectly in smaller resolutions but the opposite does not work. If you draw too small you will soon find your pieces looking like a pixelated vomit once you upload them.

Flowers10
Flowers10
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Artist
Response to What canvas size do you guys use? 2013-06-27 15:00:45 Reply

the bigger the brushs the more ram its takes and when you have a big canvas you need bigger brushes. so i start small 1000x1000 or a bit less. this is also when i need my big brushes to start blocking in shapes.
when i start to progress in the painting i get into the details, this is when i size up the canvas with 200% so details can be aplied more easily. The more detailed the painting gets the bigger the canvas will be.

Click on the sig!
Or my thread

BBS Signature