New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dercaful
Dercaful
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Computer characteristics 2013-06-16 21:37:44 Reply

I've been a little about programming, and I've noticed that some people use a special computer with certain characteristics. So I'd like to know which are those characteristics (Processor, RAM, OS, and so on...)

PS: I read that Linux is the preferencial OS, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Steam · PM's are always welcome. It's always nice to have some material things. You don't need a lot of it though. -Luer

Dercaful
Dercaful
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer characteristics 2013-06-16 21:39:16 Reply

At 6/16/13 09:37 PM, Dercaful wrote: I've been a little about programming (...)

been reading*

Steam · PM's are always welcome. It's always nice to have some material things. You don't need a lot of it though. -Luer

milchreis
milchreis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Programmer
Response to Computer characteristics 2013-06-17 08:00:57 Reply

At 6/16/13 09:37 PM, Dercaful wrote: I've been a little about programming, and I've noticed that some people use a special computer with certain characteristics. So I'd like to know which are those characteristics (Processor, RAM, OS, and so on...)

"In the information age, the barriers [to entry into programming] just aren't there. The barriers are self imposed. If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers." John Carmack

Dercaful
Dercaful
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Computer characteristics 2013-06-17 17:14:21 Reply

At 6/17/13 08:00 AM, milchreis wrote: "In the information age, the barriers [to entry into programming] just aren't there. The barriers are self imposed. If you want to set off and go develop some grand new thing, you don't need millions of dollars of capitalization. You need enough pizza and Diet Coke to stick in your refrigerator, a cheap PC to work on, and the dedication to go through with it. We slept on floors. We waded across rivers." John Carmack

Wow, that's a very, very good quote. Got me my mind cleared 100%.

Thanks for sharing it with me, bro.

Filarius
Filarius
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Computer characteristics 2013-06-18 01:31:46 Reply

Yes, there is no need to have special PC to develop, but some things may make this work more comfortable.

<== This russian guy always write with mistakes.

PMMurphy
PMMurphy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Programmer
Response to Computer characteristics 2013-06-18 09:45:45 Reply

In my research lab we have computers that are indeed specially designed for specific tasks.

But these computers were made many years ago. With current technology everything these computers do, can be done on any computer anywhere. The reason they created these computers is because our hardware wasn't advanced enough to handle the tasks they wanted to handle to do the scientific research they wanted to do. So they specially designed hardware to work on specific tasks to improve technology.

But since then. Our technology is so much more advanced, there simply is no need. All you have to do in scientific research nowadays is buy the latest computers commercially available, create a cluster, then run some software and you can do just about anything.

So if your developing software, you can do anything on any modern day pc no matter how good it is. If you want your code to execute fast, you should want a recent up to date processor. It's just nice to see things happen in 5 minutes instead of 30 minutes.

sharpnova
sharpnova
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Computer characteristics 2013-06-18 14:05:18 Reply

For some types of graphics work you might need decent hardware.

But odds are, if you're asking this question AND doing anything that requires more than the most basic hardware, then you're doing it wrong.

Worst case, on my last build, a really big project might take 30 secondsish to compile. Was annoying but I had plenty to do to pass the time.

= + ^ e * i pi 1 0

Gabe-Newell
Gabe-Newell
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Game Developer
Response to Computer characteristics 2013-06-28 21:19:18 Reply

You can pretty much program on any computer you find nowadays, but in order to do graphic design and such, you will have to use an above-average computer.

Patcoola
Patcoola
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Animator
Response to Computer characteristics 2013-06-28 22:20:10 Reply

Personally I say Virtual Machines are a good way to go.
You can test and develop in many different operating systems without dual booting and you don't have to worry about bad code crashing your computer. The virtual machine can reboot in less than half the time as your own computer.