Respond to this Topic
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 08:55 AM Reply

Yeah, as a new user to the site I can say it's kinda bright and distracting. The only place I was more confused when I first got there was 4chan.

BBS Signature
ForNoReason
ForNoReason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Voice Actor
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 09:03 AM Reply

Has the point been made somewhere that notifications seem to not be working?

II II lI

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 11:30 AM Reply

Give us the chance to change it by our settings if we want the old school pre-07 design we can select that skin or if we want the 07 design we choose that one

it would be a great thing Tom to let the users decide their backgrounds.

Xaotik
Xaotik
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Programmer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 12:00 PM Reply

Would the grayness be only for the backdrop of the site or would the title bars on all the pods also be swapped for gray versions?

Mexal
Mexal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 12:17 PM Reply

At 5/30/13 11:30 AM, Tony-DarkGrave wrote: Give us the chance to change it by our settings if we want the old school pre-07 design we can select that skin or if we want the 07 design we choose that one

That would be pretty cool. I want to know what NG looked like back then... :3

TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 12:32 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:56 PM, squidly wrote: Next redesign should simply make the important buttons larger and the site layout in general less busy.

Without a full redesign I do hope to reduce overall buttons and links. I'd like to completely eliminate the dropdowns in the nav. I have decent alternatives in mind for every category EXCEPT Community, which has a bunch of important stuff that is hard to relocate without adding some secondary nav like we used to have (the nav under the nav).

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 12:33 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 06:11 PM, Elixur wrote: You might be on to something grand. How difficult would it be to allow the user to select the style of layout from their settings? Offering options such as NG Classic, (pre-2007 design) NG Reloaded (2007-2012) or current NG with both color schemes available would satisfy everyone I'm sure, although it's also probably too much unnecessary work and a huge time sink when you could be focusing on other projects.

This sort of thing would be a huge undertaking... Although it would be neat to give people the option of a "Portal" button in the nav, to for OGs who want direct access to the classic Portal.

BBS Signature
deckheadtottie
deckheadtottie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 59
Programmer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 12:41 PM Reply

I must say, I do like the grey styling more.

#coys

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 01:20 PM Reply

At 5/30/13 09:03 AM, ForNoReason wrote: Has the point been made somewhere that notifications seem to not be working?

Waiting on these to get fixed.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 01:20 PM Reply

At 5/30/13 12:00 PM, Xaotik wrote: Would the grayness be only for the backdrop of the site or would the title bars on all the pods also be swapped for gray versions?

The title bars would be grey.

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 01:30 PM Reply

At 5/30/13 06:42 AM, Patonion wrote: I think you should fix the portal before worrying about how the site looks. everything listed there is under judgement, it makes the whole color coded score system defunct.

The Portal bugs are being worked on by Rob and Goldfish. The site skin came up while implementing some self-hosted ad skins with liljim. The skins would basically integrate best if the site had a consistent color scheme, for both technical and aesthetic reasons.

These skins are important because they are promoting games on NG that increase sign-ups and generate revenue. We have a lot working against us, with most advertisers being afraid to run ads on NG and most of our users running ad block. The skins allow us to test the waters with MMO partnerships but if they prove to be successful they could ultimately replace a lot of our traditional ads with something more attractive, making pages load faster, keeping users on NG, increasing sign-ups, less cookies, etc.

BBS Signature
iMini
iMini
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Movie Buff
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 01:41 PM Reply

This grey skin is sexy as fuuuuuuuck. Love the slightly blue hue it has. Excellent work.

illicit makes a damn good signature.

BBS Signature
SubparTony
SubparTony
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 01:47 PM Reply

I sort of like the grey skin on BBS.

"I felt like an avenging angel, what I looked like was a fat bald guy with a bad temper." - Max Payne
Dean is a winner Also, stop whining for the chat and go check this out ▾▾

BBS Signature
RedN
RedN
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Programmer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 01:49 PM Reply

Great work Tom,awesome theme,love the colors.
I also wanted to tell you that the review marking system is bugging,I tried to mark reviews from 2 different browsers (Firefox and Chrome) and it didn't send,thanks for fixing it.

Verizon Customers, Grey Site

Mexal
Mexal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 01:50 PM Reply

Maybe you should make everything grey skinned :D

alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 02:01 PM Reply

It's all so...dark...

and cold..

I don't think the grey makes anything pop, really

bleh

------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
EventHorizon
EventHorizon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 02:29 PM Reply

The gray is so cold and dark, looks like a morgue, the colors give life to the site, now everything seems dead and inactive, I preferred the colors...

[PLAY "MOON" A SPACE HORROR GAME][FOLLOW ME][MY GAMES][MY ART]
[I'm flying into space...][Sig by triplenoob]

BBS Signature
LDAF
LDAF
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 26
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 02:35 PM Reply

I LOVED how each section of the site had its own color theme. I thought it was a really neat and artistic idea, but I never once saw it take away focus from the content; instead, it gave it more of an identity, if that makes sense. The gray makes sense for the store since you're not spending a lot of time there but having it all over the site would be blegh. I prefer the NG orange for the forums.

Are you MAN enough to click this?!

BBS Signature
simon
simon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 02:56 PM Reply

Would you be completely getting rid of the orange? If so, I don't like that idea.

ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Playstation ID: SCParry || Steam ID: GNS_SimpLe
3DS Friend Code: 2878-9581-7218 || Nintendo ID: SCParry

BBS Signature
Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 03:03 PM Reply

Well, black and gold was always NG's thing. As long as there are black and gold details integrated into the grey, I wouldn't have an issue with it at all.

At times, certain pages do look a little too busy. Change is the only constant, lets give grey a go.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
Conal
Conal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Melancholy
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 03:49 PM Reply

Variation is interesting, but it's inconsistent to be this colour in contrast with the long-lived theme of NG (in my opinion).

I don't mind too much, but an option for what colour we wish to see independently might be an idea.

​   ▲      ▲      ▲
▲ ▲▲ ▲▲ ▲
                                                                      ಠ_ಠ

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 04:37 PM Reply

At 5/30/13 12:32 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/29/13 05:56 PM, squidly wrote: Next redesign should simply make the important buttons larger and the site layout in general less busy.
Without a full redesign I do hope to reduce overall buttons and links. I'd like to completely eliminate the dropdowns in the nav. I have decent alternatives in mind for every category EXCEPT Community, which has a bunch of important stuff that is hard to relocate without adding some secondary nav like we used to have (the nav under the nav).

Navception.

Here's the thing - I think the Forum and Wiki should be their own tab. Chat is kind of a strange bonus that I guess could be slammed at the top of the Forums page.

Who usually draws out the redesigns? As in, actual site design?

Good.

AndyOfTheArcticDucks
AndyOfTheArcticDucks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 04:51 PM Reply

I'd like if something like this were to happen. Gray but not cold gray and not too much.

Verizon Customers, Grey Site

Ejit
Ejit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 05:01 PM Reply

Probably already been brought up but personally find the linking of the sidebar graphics annoying as I habitually click on the sides of the pages to focus that area for scrolling. Maybe I'm the only one.

I'm a survivor. We're a dying breed.

BBS Signature
Nempatriarch
Nempatriarch
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Artist
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 05:21 PM Reply

I'm new and blah blah, but i dont like it. I think it was fine as it was already.

At 5/30/13 05:01 PM, Ejit wrote: Probably already been brought up but personally find the linking of the sidebar graphics annoying as I habitually click on the sides of the pages to focus that area for scrolling. Maybe I'm the only one.

+1

Fim
Fim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Audiophile
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 05:26 PM Reply

I agree with what you say about they greyscale making everything else 'pop', I prefer it this way.

BBS Signature
PsychoZoid
PsychoZoid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Artist
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 06:21 PM Reply

To be honest, I do like the grey color scheme a lot. It gives off a different yet cool feel and look to the website, especially when I browse the forums.

But of course, the decision to keep the grey color scheme or not is entirely up to you, Tom.

PsychoZoid/Andrew Berry: The most uninteresting man in the world

BBS Signature
Dawnslayer
Dawnslayer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 06:24 PM Reply

Personally, I prefer the multi-color version. It gives the website more personality and character, and sets it apart from the pretenders.

But if for the aforementioned reasons you absolutely MUST use only one color, then IT HAS TO BE ORANGE. The orange-golden-amber layout is the warm and friendly yet totally badass color theme that identifies Newgrounds as being Newgrounds. An all-gray theme is cold, uninviting, and just really bland in general. And if the color scheme is bland, that sends the message that the whole site is bland and not worth our time, consequently reducing the Newgrounds user base. Orange is vibrant, it grabs your attention; it makes you want to keep looking and discover what this site has to offer.

TL;DR - Multicolor or orange. NOT GRAY.

Cryoma
Cryoma
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 07:08 PM Reply

Tom, it is with utmost sincerity and objectivity that I voice my opinion on the matter: this current design blows.
The 2007/08 transition was the peak of this site's many guises for me; I came to the site every day and actually voted on things etc.
Heck, I even bothered to register an account for the forums.
Sure, it could have been better, but it was decent and exuded the charming essence that we all knew and loved.
Now I just have the bbs url memorized and skip straight to it because the entire website is so saturated with overly-contrasting visuals and conflicting colors that my designer's soul cries out in anguish each night as I lay in sleepless turmoil, my mind conflicted over whether newgrounds had actually committed such an atrocity or that I had just imagined such in a bizarre and twisted nightmare.
This isn't a bitch session pleading you to revert to the previous theme, this is a bitch session pleading you to consider the more aesthetically simplistic (and pleasing) key points of the previous themes when working to improve the current.
I want my favorite website back, not an overblown poster for an action-packed child's movie (try squinting when viewing your pages, most well-styled websites will blend together into a solid or gradient).

Yours truly,
Concerned User

Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 07:41 PM Reply

I like the grey!

いないいないばあ

BBS Signature