VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 09:18 PM Reply

Just... fix (and/or streamline) the bugs, we'll worry about teh drapes after the Summer's over, k?

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
LAVAGASM
LAVAGASM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: Were they right? Is it time for a change?

I think instead of yet another redesign you need to revert back to the old portal and focus on finding and implementing a better way to exhibit user content. It seems to me that a only a core group of people or movies with a certain type of humor are what is displayed. More often than not a lot of movies go under the radar and don't get the recognition they deserve. I'm sure this is infuriating and dispiriting for the content creators. Not only that, but when only certain types of movies are the only ones being showcased, what that leads to is a lack of originality in the content that is created in the future. People want to conform to get the page views.

It seems to me that Newgrounds no longer has the focus that it used to and it's way too complicated and superfluous. This site could really used to be streamlined. Perhaps it's also time to rethink or rework many of the features of Newgrounds. For example, judgement, in my opinion, needs to be retooled, and bad. The site no longer has the popularity it once did, and sometimes flash will sit in judgement for several days before they pass the portal. As the months and years go by, the number of active users are dwindling and while your site is surely an impressive achievement in coding, it really has lost its accessibility and mass appeal.

LAVAGASM
LAVAGASM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 09:23 PM Reply

I also want to say, that the amount and way user content is exhibited needs to be expanded. There is plenty out there to do so.

feircedeity64
feircedeity64
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 09:25 PM Reply

Yes! Everything New! Everything Clean!!

You look pretty good...

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 10:02 PM Reply

Aha! So the slow content loading has been answered! Hallelujah! Now the problem can be resolved, but at least now I know its not a problem on my end.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 10:03 PM Reply

i like the madness theme site

None

sweet21
sweet21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Artist
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 10:15 PM Reply

Why not go with orange universally? Orange and black have always been Newgrounds's color scheme. Black and grey just feels boring.

I'm just a dreamer.
steam profile

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 10:38 PM Reply

Give us the chance to change it by our settings if we want the old school pre-07 design we can select that skin or if we want the 07 design we choose that one

it would be a great thing Tom.

Lionelion
Lionelion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 10:46 PM Reply

I liked the colors. It seems really dull now that its grey

MangaFood
MangaFood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: Are you browsing on Verizon FIOS? Notice that NG content loads really slow in the afternoon? There's apparently some sort of peering issue between Cogent (our bandwidth provider) and Verizon. Not sure when it will be fixed but I sure hope they fix it soon or else I'll have to switch back to Comcast!

The problem isnt just with Cogent and Verizon. It's with Verizon and Google as well, people keep claiming verizon is "throttling" down bandwith :http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28027601-Horrible-youtube-
speeds~start=40
there's also a nice solution there which worked for me. The IP range they gave didn't work for me, you'll need to find it yourself with netstat -n command. I imagine a similar solution can be done with Cogent?

Blordow
Blordow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Artist
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 11:53 PM Reply

I like the grey look. Gives a more tank / metal vibe.

BBS Signature
Exedor
Exedor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Blank Slate
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 11:55 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: grey layout. Do you prefer the site this way?

Yes and no.

I've noticed the grey, and I like it. However, if the whole site color scheme is nothing but grey, I can't say I like that idea. I like the changing colors from page to page, sometimes grey and sometimes whatever color. Always haing it the same, whether the same color or no color, could get dull. The random color change is cool with me.

This came up because it's all wound up so tight at the moment.

How do we unwind it?

Stamper's offering massages, but don't do it. It takes a while for the itching to stop. :\
Rawnern
Rawnern
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 12:04 AM Reply

Well... it actually looks pretty cool. The orangish color is good though. Post an example and show us?

BenjaminTibbetts
BenjaminTibbetts
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 12:10 AM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: Been pondering stripping the colors out of the page elements and just going with grey - it seems to make the content pop.

Sure. But isn't this what the "lights" feature is for? I like the colors, personally.

BBS Signature
BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 01:02 AM Reply

At 5/29/13 10:51 PM, MangaFood wrote: The problem isnt just with Cogent and Verizon....

Youtube has been just about unusable for me all year as well (although it's been working fine lately). I was on a call recently with Verizon tech support (different issue) and I asked him about it and he claimed it was Google's problem. I've done a ton of research on this but couldn't find anything conclusive. It could be similar to our issue, I don't know. I just hope they fix it soon.

I think the cross connects between Verizon and Cogent (and possibly between Verizon and Google) are saturated. They could be doing rate limiting - I don't know. I don't think there is anything we can do about it but wait.

E-mail us with questions, concerns, complaints, complements, etc. related to the site.
Wondering what happened to NG Chat or the store?

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Artist
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 01:03 AM Reply

I think the website would look better with an grey background scheme.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 01:19 AM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Rob used to say we should style the entire site with the store colorscheme... Were they right? Is it time for a change?

I liked it better when things were simpler, but I do like some of the new design, like the forums (though today the notifications haven't been showing up). I liked the background being more yellow and black and not as distracting. I really liked the 2011-2012 design. I like the drop down menu buttons at the top, but I do miss the yellow buttons as well...maybe a mixture of both?

TheRed555
TheRed555
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Programmer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 02:32 AM Reply

I prefer the previous blue theme because the grey one is quite sad,plus the blue gaming aura would have no sense.

[EGB];[NGTMPUL];[Medal tips & hints];[Follow]
sig by triplenoob.
Need a beta-tester for your game?PM me

BBS Signature
RPGsrok
RPGsrok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 03:07 AM Reply

I think a bit of color keeps the site interesting, particularly yellow/orange with the grey because that makes the NG aesthetic unique. On the other hand, I've always hated how the art things are such a flashy pink - they just distract from the content. So much of the page is pink that more often than not, it'll clash with and distract from the art we look at. It's not as bad with darker blue (games) etc, but I would definitely support scaling back some of the color. As someone said - NG should be about the user content, and the site should make some effort not to distract from that.

At 5/29/13 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Totally different topic... If you aren't a supporter (or a supporter who isn't logged in), you may have noticed some pages on the site (ie game pages) are using a grey layout like the store. Do you prefer the site this way? Been pondering stripping the colors out of the page elements and just going with grey - it seems to make the content pop. During the redesign, Wade used to complain that the front page looked like someone took a shit on it and Rob used to say we should style the entire site with the store colorscheme... Were they right? Is it time for a change?

This came up due to some quirks with our CSS that made it difficult to run dynamic skins while retaining a variety of page layout colors, because it's all wound up so tight at the moment.

"...Midnight's just around the corner..."

-Ryoji, Persona 3

PoisonHeart
PoisonHeart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Melancholy
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 03:12 AM Reply

Regarding colors, I think Step has a great point...I like that things are color-coded. However, maybe those colors should be toned down, because I agree that the gray makes content "pop", but is also perhaps a shade too dull. If the rest of the site (outside the home page) used subdued colors for the background/border, I think that'd go a long way.

*citation needed

BBS Signature
VicariousE
VicariousE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 03:55 AM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: Are you browsing on Verizon FIOS? Notice that NG content loads really slow in the afternoon? There's apparently some sort of peering issue between Cogent (our bandwidth provider) and Verizon. Not sure when it will be fixed but I sure hope they fix it soon or else I'll have to switch back to Comcast!

Verizon throttling? Seems very likely, from what 2 techs told me today :\ Node-overheating is a factor... But Google's over-reach might be a factor as well.

Totally different topic... If you aren't a supporter (or a supporter who isn't logged in), you may have noticed some pages on the site (ie game pages) are using a grey layout like the store. Do you prefer the site this way? Been pondering stripping the colors out of the page elements and just going with grey - it seems to make the content pop. During the redesign, Wade used to complain that the front page looked like someone took a shit on it and Rob used to say we should style the entire site with the store colorscheme... Were they right? Is it time for a change?

I thought we were going to vary up the background pictures... I clear my cache before I log in (to keep CPMstar from tracking), so I really haven't noticed the blandness you describe.

This came up due to some quirks with our CSS that made it difficult to run dynamic skins while retaining a variety of page layout colors, because it's all wound up so tight at the moment.

.... if the code can't accommodate something, then yeah, pare it back, but the color coded thing should stay on, at least as a highlighter of sorts. Myself, I miss blasting chickens and swf's, and listening to Endless Ladies Handbag, or whatever the simple loop was... be a nice treat for the logged in members.. add it to the UJ page(s) too :|

Just get the guys working. Fly them over to NG HQ, sequester them in the building, till everything's sorted. Bad enough the Favorites thing is broken (at least we had one week of uptime), and the multi-comment glitch is... well, it's better, but you can't refresh a page and comment again :\ you have to navigate elsewhere then come back to comment again (which I suspect is the reason why the Favorites and Updates thing isn't working). I'm buying another http://www.newgrounds.com/store/product/supporter-upgrade soon.... still love what you've here bro :)

Now building Vault 101, reverse engineered from yesterdays technology.

BBS Signature
DoodleBin
DoodleBin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 04:14 AM Reply

I'd say go grey! You've said it yourself, the store seems to make the content POP, which it hink is pretty high on the priority list.

One thing that you could try, is converting all the page colour schemes to grey, but focus the gold/yellow schemes with the wall art. I think that doing it that way is much more like the old site. On the whole i think that it would feel more homely and make the seasonal wall art all the more interesting.

Madjasper1
Madjasper1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 04:25 AM Reply

I much prefer it being colored, it looks better.

Signature by Chdonga

BBS Signature
FlyingColours
FlyingColours
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Programmer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 05:09 AM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:42 PM, Step wrote: I prefer having it coloured. I like how colour-coded everything is; music-related stuff is green, game-related stuff is blue, movie-related stuff is red, art-related stuff is pink, etc. This even reflects in our auras and in the colour schemes of the backgrounds. So yeah I think it looks awesome the way it is and beats having everything grey.

Exactly!

Clatform
Clatform
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 05:16 AM Reply

I'd fancy this.

Verizon Customers, Grey Site

BBS Signature
Patonion
Patonion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 06:42 AM Reply

I think you should fix the portal before worrying about how the site looks. everything listed there is under judgement, it makes the whole color coded score system defunct.

BBS Signature
lovingthedark
lovingthedark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Artist
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 07:10 AM Reply

My biggest problem with the redesign has always been that as an artist, I'm automatically framing my work with super-saturated pinks and a lot of busy detail, which is fine for many pieces but hardly ideal for most. I don't think it's necessary to go completely colorless, as in the store, but a more neutral palette would be less distracting from site content.

That said though, I've totally gotten used to the current site design and nothing bothers me anymore.

Basic Art Tips_______________Art 101_______________ Orn's Scouting Guide_______________NG Art Chat

BBS Signature
ZenithQuinn
ZenithQuinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 07:14 AM Reply

I love the newgrounds design, but I think it is time for something more minimalistic. Sites like Reddit offer the extreme basics, while still looking aesthetically pleasing, and I think if newgrounds did their own take of that kind of organized design it would be beneficial. I think you should leave the individual user pages open to customizable backgrounds like youtube does/did.
I miss the all time greatest list on the right and the easily accessible section to see the current flashes with awards (even turd of the week was funny to see) Just my two cents.

AndyOfTheArcticDucks
AndyOfTheArcticDucks
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 07:20 AM Reply

I'd prefer it. The site would feel more consistent in a way.
Grey on everything in the background, orange on everything that needs to pop other than the content.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 30th, 2013 @ 07:26 AM Reply

Oi Tom, could you perhaps fill us in on the reply notice situation? I feel completely lost without them and haven't seen it addressed yet. (although I might be blind my vision is pretty bad)

BBS Signature