TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 05:22 PM Reply

Are you browsing on Verizon FIOS? Notice that NG content loads really slow in the afternoon? There's apparently some sort of peering issue between Cogent (our bandwidth provider) and Verizon. Not sure when it will be fixed but I sure hope they fix it soon or else I'll have to switch back to Comcast!

Totally different topic... If you aren't a supporter (or a supporter who isn't logged in), you may have noticed some pages on the site (ie game pages) are using a grey layout like the store. Do you prefer the site this way? Been pondering stripping the colors out of the page elements and just going with grey - it seems to make the content pop. During the redesign, Wade used to complain that the front page looked like someone took a shit on it and Rob used to say we should style the entire site with the store colorscheme... Were they right? Is it time for a change?

This came up due to some quirks with our CSS that made it difficult to run dynamic skins while retaining a variety of page layout colors, because it's all wound up so tight at the moment.

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 05:26 PM Reply

Finally a redesign! lol

BBS Signature
XSundowNX
XSundowNX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 05:27 PM Reply

hmm yeah i think i prefer it better when nothing is distracting you from the content... plus user content is what newgrounds is all about.

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 05:31 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Totally different topic... If you aren't a supporter (or a supporter who isn't logged in), you may have noticed some pages on the site (ie game pages) are using a grey layout like the store. Do you prefer the site this way? Been pondering stripping the colors out of the page elements and just going with grey - it seems to make the content pop. During the redesign, Wade used to complain that the front page looked like someone took a shit on it and Rob used to say we should style the entire site with the store colorscheme... Were they right? Is it time for a change?

I think it's just a matter of preference, so you should definitely tally up everyone's opinion in the thread and go with what is popular. Personally, I prefer the store color-scheme as well, less is more I guess is a way to sum up how I feel. Feels more professional, like Newgrounds is a handsome young gentlemen prowled upon by desperate cougars.

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 05:42 PM Reply

I prefer having it coloured. I like how colour-coded everything is; music-related stuff is green, game-related stuff is blue, movie-related stuff is red, art-related stuff is pink, etc. This even reflects in our auras and in the colour schemes of the backgrounds. So yeah I think it looks awesome the way it is and beats having everything grey.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 05:48 PM Reply

I'm all for gray pods site-wide (except the actual portal pages - i think they should remain colorful) but I like the colorful backgrounds regardless of what page you're on.

I love this current pico day purple bg on the main pages but I'd prefer gray pods over brown ones.

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
TomFulp
TomFulp
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 14
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 05:52 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:48 PM, EJR wrote: I'm all for gray pods site-wide (except the actual portal pages - i think they should remain colorful) but I like the colorful backgrounds regardless of what page you're on.

When you say the actual portal pages - do you mean the hub pages, like when you click GAMES in the nav? Or do you also mean the view pages for the individual content?

This is the game JohnnyUtah and I have been working on.

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 05:56 PM Reply

To be honest, the issue with the redesign mostly falls with the crapload of new buttons and general disorganization of everything.

When we had a portal, it was easier to see everything at once.

I think there were so many ideas in this redisign that not enough thought was put into how to actually display it, and the result is 7 options per "tab."

Next redesign should simply make the important buttons larger and the site layout in general less busy.

Good.

Cyberdevil
Cyberdevil
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 50
Writer

Gray and orange everything, just like the old days? :P I wouldn't mind at all!

EJR
EJR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Animator

At 5/29/13 05:52 PM, TomFulp wrote: When you say the actual portal pages - do you mean the hub pages, like when you click GAMES in the nav? Or do you also mean the view pages for the individual content?

I meant the hub pages.

Portal, Chat & BBS Moderator

BBS Signature
WarSyndicate
WarSyndicate
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 06:05 PM Reply

If it was possible to set up something where I can select which NG layout I want to view, I'd love to view the site in some legacy layouts. (my favorite being the late 2002/early 2003 or the Early 2005 layout).

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 06:05 PM, WarSyndicate wrote: If it was possible to set up something where I can select which NG layout I want to view, I'd love to view the site in some legacy layouts. (my favorite being the late 2002/early 2003 or the Early 2005 layout).

You might be on to something grand. How difficult would it be to allow the user to select the style of layout from their settings? Offering options such as NG Classic, (pre-2007 design) NG Reloaded (2007-2012) or current NG with both color schemes available would satisfy everyone I'm sure, although it's also probably too much unnecessary work and a huge time sink when you could be focusing on other projects.

BBS Signature
Viper
Viper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 34
Musician
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 06:13 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: Totally different topic... If you aren't a supporter (or a supporter who isn't logged in), you may have noticed some pages on the site (ie game pages) are using a grey layout like the store. Do you prefer the site this way? Been pondering stripping the colors out of the page elements and just going with grey - it seems to make the content pop. During the redesign, Wade used to complain that the front page looked like someone took a shit on it and Rob used to say we should style the entire site with the store colorscheme... Were they right? Is it time for a change?

I'm somewhat indifferent to it. But I will admit it does make whatever you're viewing at the moment stand out a bit more.
Though if you change the color scheme I think it'd be better (to me personally) if instead of completely changing all the colors (or whatever you're planning on doing with it) you made them a darker shade of whatever color they already are or something. So it doesn't all look the same with it being grey.
But whatever, it's your site you get to do what you want with it.

Formally known as Viper50
When life gives you lemons...squirt juice in your enemy's eyes!
Not very important but my lastfm. I guess you can click on it if you want.

BBS Signature
mandog
mandog
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Musician
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 06:20 PM Reply

Ng needs to be darker, remember when we got that dark bg before and everyone loved it (atleast on the BBS)
but yes grey looks super better.

original I am.

BBS Signature
primalism
primalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 06:26 PM Reply

Honestly, the grey looks so much better.

MSGhero
MSGhero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 06:39 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 06:20 PM, MikeyS9607 wrote: It would be a pain in the arse to code that's for sure. Different designs have different amounts of CSS elements (Or in the case of a lot of the pre-2007 designs, are held together by tables)

Luis wants more tables.

I like the grey.

SmashLuigiFan1
SmashLuigiFan1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 06:48 PM Reply

Personally, I think you should make the community tab/main pages while having the individual pages for the content grey. The colors should stay for the rest of the site.

"It's easier to talk about the bad than to understand the good." - Jirard Khalil
"This was a mistake." - Jirard Khalil, 2013
"WELCOME TO THE FANTASY ZONE! GET READY. . ."

BBS Signature
Luwano
Luwano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Art Lover
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 06:55 PM Reply

The more I think about the idea, the more I like it. The navigation will keep the colors, right? Cause it should.

BBS Signature
TheAdventMaster
TheAdventMaster
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 11
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 06:59 PM Reply

Removing the colors makes the content pop, but it also makes the site look really boring and the extra padding/margins around elements seem pointless.

I don't think Newgrounds needs to have the typical slick/modern, tile-based layout as every other site but I really hope someone at NG has time to just play around and prototype this stuff.

UX/UI is the #1 priority of a site which already has content-related stuff going for it. Not saying it should receive the most time invested into it, but there should be a day a week, or a few hours every now and then where someone sits down and talks about/prototypes new layouts or sections + the themes.

With modern web tools, that stuff isn't really hard.

I'm not sure how difficult the site would be to modify to adapt it to layout changes. I recommend just making something work and then learning, over time, the best way to refactor difficult code. Sometimes, rewriting very small portions at a time and using new code, slowly fading out old code (ex: replacing only one instance of old code, rather than all similar instances and seeing how that works) is all you can do.

SpikeVallentine
SpikeVallentine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 07:01 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 05:22 PM, TomFulp wrote: Do you prefer the site this way? Been pondering stripping the colors out of the page elements and just going with grey - it seems to make the content pop. During the redesign, Wade used to complain that the front page looked like someone took a shit on it and Rob used to say we should style the entire site with the store colorscheme... Were they right? Is it time for a change?

This came up due to some quirks with our CSS that made it difficult to run dynamic skins while retaining a variety of page layout colors, because it's all wound up so tight at the moment.

I think maybe the store scheme would be nice. So all pages are unified instead of every page trying to be something on their own.

I hope your day will be as bright as the sun!

test-object
test-object
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 12
Artist
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 07:28 PM Reply

I would very much enjoy a slicker look, but if you're gonna go grey, go much lighter than the shop. The dark grey gets really depressing, especially when surrounded by the black. That shit doesn't entice me to keep on looking.

Also, at the risk of sounding like an Apple representative; get rid of the billions upon billions of textures. There's so much visual references everywhere it's near impossible to focus. I've tried a small experiment and a common user who's not familiar with NG does not know what to click. It might just be too overwhelming.

A rather disgusting-looking git that should have been disposed of ages ago.

BBS Signature
Tanadrine-Studios
Tanadrine-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 07:43 PM Reply

If you're asking strictly from an aesthetics standpoint, I have no problem with the design of the site as is. As another user posted, I too like how things are color-coded... you can always tell where you are simply by the color of things. This is especially important in differentiating flash movies and games.

There are some weakpoints in the area of maximizing usability as already mentioned... it is some shitton of work getting a layout that conveys the most info without concealing it while still maintaining asthetics!

Also, I am convinced that "shit" is the word of the month. Yay!

Loki
Loki
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 52
Writer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 07:50 PM Reply

The grey is oogly.

Bring back the OJ!

Tanadrine-Studios
Tanadrine-Studios
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Animator
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 07:50 PM Reply

Oh, and one other thing:

The featured content area is mostly useless.

1) It is not clear to a new or even existing user whether the buttons take you to a new page or not.

2) It doesn't tell you what is being displayed. Am I looking at games? Movies? Channels? There is no indicator here. I'm more of a movie guy than a gamer on NG, so that constitutes most of my appeal factor.

3) I've noted the content at the bottom bar can be quite static at times.

seanjames
seanjames
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 08:06 PM Reply

I prefer the grey. Tying the color to the nav while in a section is nice, but I'm not sure many people use it to mentally anchor where they are in the site at any given time. When you pull out that color, the content does stand out better but it also feels more like the old NG that was largely dark colors and orange, which I like.

There's enough to draw your eye and I don't think the headers and other minor elements need to compete by being styled with a color.

BBS Signature
RydiaLockheart
RydiaLockheart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 08:20 PM Reply

Is it just FiOS users? I'm on a non-FiOS Verizon connection and it works OK for me anytime of the day.

Mexal
Mexal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Gamer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 08:21 PM Reply

As long as it's not white.

deathink
deathink
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 08:26 PM Reply

I think this is the first time I have looked around Newgrounds while signed out since you created the the support feature. The site looks much better if you are a supporter!

"NEWGROUNDS, it's everything to everyone" -RicePirate

BBS Signature
BrenTheMan
BrenTheMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 04
Audiophile
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 08:36 PM Reply

At 5/29/13 08:20 PM, RydiaLockheart wrote: Is it just FiOS users? I'm on a non-FiOS Verizon connection and it works OK for me anytime of the day.

Just Verizon in general as far as we know. Unfortunately, that's what we have at the office and I have at home!

I'm pulling 2 Mbps from the site right now, but in the morning I can pull down 55+Mbps. I can't even stream a movie in 1080p without the player stopping and buffering over and over again.

I manage NG's servers (and other stuff).
E-mail us with questions, concerns, complaints, compliments ;), etc. related to the site.
Here is info on chat and the store closing.

BBS Signature
Manly-Chicken
Manly-Chicken
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Game Developer
Response to Verizon Customers, Grey Site May. 29th, 2013 @ 08:42 PM Reply

I like it, it's chill as fuck.

BBS Signature