00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

B0ss3 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Forum feedback.

2,356 Views | 44 Replies

Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 14:40:15

Since such a subforu for this kind of thing has been wisely avoided by the bureaucracy I'm going to broach this plainly obvious fact in broad view.

This forum is kind of terrible. I suppose one could appreciate it, if blessed with a predilection for the inapt, but I'm making this subject in hopes some things will change.

This has nothing to do with members, this is purely mechanical annoyance.

First: What kind of backwards formatting does this site even use, cant you just use BBcode like everyone else, originally i thought it was for Flash support. HAH. Too bad you can't upload anything except gifs, bmp's and PNG's, which BBcode can also do.

Basically everything this forums coding does, BBcode and even HTML can do, and do it better.

Second: I'm not sure if this just jumped over your head and you refuse to change it because tradition is worth stupidity, but having no edit button not only forces spam to the forgetful, but it endorses it. That's terrible and whoever clings to the idea that a lack of editing is good needs to be sent to the deepest circle of hell, tied to a mast and flogged.

Third: Because apparently BBcode isn't the logical way to go, you can't even preview your posts before you submit them, this is forum limitations I'd expect from a fucking Nethack, designed in the early 90's.

Fourth: The idea behind having your own code is so that it can do what others cant, what we can do is diddily squat, what we could do if we didn't use a forum design originating in the 70's is embed videos, images and possess, you know, AN EDIT BUTTON??

Shit where's the manager, I need to give him the bizness.

But yeah, currently, this forum sucks, fix it... or else.

Forum feedback.

I like to think I can be both a good person, and a high-functioning sociopath.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 14:45:16

At 5/26/13 02:40 PM, BizarreMonkey wrote:
Shit where's the manager, I need to give him the bizness.

But yeah, currently, this forum sucks, fix it... or else.

shut the fuck up

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 14:52:08

At 5/26/13 02:40 PM, BizarreMonkey wrote: fix it... or else.

By all that is high and mighty, watch out guys! He means business.

"It's taking all my might to restrain from dick riding." - HomicidalFrog

Sig by Homicidee

BBS Signature

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 14:55:19

you should just be quiet. I'm pretty sure I know which kind of people can enjoy posting on a forum, and you, OP, do not seem to be one of them. It not about quantity, or quality. It is about not caring and communicating horribly thought out ideas. Or was it about putting thought into what you say, before you say it.... Either way, you're attacking peoples ability to do either. Shut up.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:04:08

At 5/26/13 02:53 PM, Sekhem wrote: this thread brought to you by bizarremonkey

Oh aren't you clever...

My, so defensive everyone, ahaha.

Surely through this veil of anger you hide your insecurities that I may be right.

Also, the Or Else... was a joke, if someone asked, I would have liked said 'Or Else I'll do something incredibly frivolous and stupid."

Honestly, can't you see this is horrible? Edit buttons are forum essentials. That this forum lacks one as well as any form of embeding is stupid, and anyone who defends it is a blatant moron.

I think my first reply was trolling though, ehehe.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:10:23

At 5/26/13 03:07 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 5/26/13 03:04 PM, BizarreMonkey wrote:
At 5/26/13 02:53 PM, Sekhem wrote: this thread brought to you by bizarremonkey
Oh aren't you clever...
are you mad, bby

Nah, I like how I look, I'm damn well Moe as fuck and you know it.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:13:54

The lack of an edit button kind of makes these fourms unique to me. In other fourms you don't get the epic times we used to get when people made typos. Threads such as "help! dick stuck in xbox" and that time when sombody, trying to type "fab", accidently typed "fap" really made my day.

Another thing which I don't want to happen is for people to re-write history. I've heard many people say that they'd go back to their old posts and delete them or change them. I like to look back on history and it would be really unfortunate on those epic times if sombody fixed their mistakes to make themselves look smarter. I'm already sad that the guy who tricked a guy into deleting system 32 got his posts deleted. It would be a great shame if that happened on every classic thread.

Sure, I can't spell and when I post in the morning my grammar is messed up but still; that's not somthing I would ever change. The lack of edit button really makes this fourm unique.

Other than that, I'd rather that we were also able to type in chinese and japanese. That would be a big help.

???-2004?=dark ages, 2005?=atomic betty era, 2006=red dwarf era, 2007-2009=newgrounds era, 2009-2014= anime era,

What have I done with my life?

BBS Signature

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:16:43

At 5/26/13 03:04 PM, BizarreMonkey wrote:
My, so defensive everyone, ahaha.

Surely through this veil of anger you hide your insecurities that I may be right.

Also, the Or Else... was a joke, if someone asked, I would have liked said 'Or Else I'll do something incredibly frivolous and stupid."

Honestly, can't you see this is horrible? Edit buttons are forum essentials. That this forum lacks one as well as any form of embeding is stupid, and anyone who defends it is a blatant moron.

I think my first reply was trolling though, ehehe.

Holy hell just reading your posts is like shooting myself in the dick with a nail gun. I don't even care about the forum or whatever stupid thing you're angry about, it's just that condescending "people don't enjoy my presence but it's okay because i'm so much smarter than them" air that floats about your words.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:19:56

At 5/26/13 03:13 PM, aListers wrote: The lack of an edit button kind of makes these fourms unique to me. In other fourms you don't get the epic times we used to get when people made typos. Threads such as "help! dick stuck in xbox" and that time when sombody, trying to type "fab", accidently typed "fap" really made my day.

Another thing which I don't want to happen is for people to re-write history. I've heard many people say that they'd go back to their old posts and delete them or change them. I like to look back on history and it would be really unfortunate on those epic times if sombody fixed their mistakes to make themselves look smarter. I'm already sad that the guy who tricked a guy into deleting system 32 got his posts deleted. It would be a great shame if that happened on every classic thread.

Sure, I can't spell and when I post in the morning my grammar is messed up but still; that's not somthing I would ever change. The lack of edit button really makes this fourm unique.

Other than that, I'd rather that we were also able to type in chinese and japanese. That would be a big help.

Well yeah I can't really argue with that, paid history is a bummer sometimes and I suppose it'd suck if people didn't suffer for their stupid spurts of indomitable early morning lighter fluid.

Though I'd still like an edit button, this is the first post that wasn't just people getting butthurt and yeah, I can understand the reasoning for that, even if i don't fully agree with it.

If embeds were a thing and a preview post button was in place, it would solve most of the issues i have, I don't typically go back and correct my mistakes unless its like messed up BBcode, which is misjudgingly assumed was in use here and made a mess of my first thread.

img and youtube embed tags are difficult to incorporate, i'm getting annoyed with just one image per post, its kinda stupid.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:21:51

At 5/26/13 03:16 PM, Jester wrote: Holy hell just reading your posts is like shooting myself in the dick with a nail gun. I don't even care about the forum or

whatever stupid thing you're angry about, it's just that condescending "people don't enjoy my presence but it's okay because i'm so much smarter than them" air that floats about your words.

I'm sorry for being better than you in basically every way entirely.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:23:39

an edit button has proven ... disrupive in the past...
it also does not attract the kinds of people that newgrounds wants

bb code or what ever this site uses... the site works... are you trying to scrue with stuff?
are you trying to alter the pressence of the site and its originality?

BBS Signature

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:25:57

At 5/26/13 03:21 PM, BizarreMonkey wrote:
At 5/26/13 03:16 PM, Jester wrote: Holy hell just reading your posts is like shooting myself in the dick with a nail gun. I don't even care about the forum or
whatever stupid thing you're angry about, it's just that condescending "people don't enjoy my presence but it's okay because i'm so much smarter than them" air that floats about your words.

I'm sorry for being better than you in basically every way entirely.

I'm pretty sure being a piece of human garbage is a prerequisite for complaining about the technical design of an internet forum and then continuing to use said forum anyways.

Enjoy your hidden self-loathing and social anxiety, buckaroo.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:29:37

At 5/26/13 03:25 PM, hecticjon wrote:
At 5/26/13 03:23 PM, tox wrote: an edit button has proven ... disrupive in the past...
i'd love it if you showed evidence of there ever being an edit button on these forums because i have never seen them in the last seven years except for last april fool's day when the admins decided to piss on our face, thanks in advance.

yeah... that was funny

few of the people that are from the sites creation remain... there was an edit button back then and people would write a few things, in a fighting senerio and then when the mods came around to fix things, wouldnt you know it, the people are talking about flowers...

it got annoying because if you are not up to the speed of other users, or are using an older speed computer, you could just not keep up with the other users, and simply loose your shrt because they are changing little things or flaws in their logic or other things, and then they are all high and mighty...
bla bla bla..

it was problematic

BBS Signature

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:34:45

At 5/26/13 03:10 PM, BizarreMonkey wrote: I'm damn well Moe as fuck and you know it.

lolwut

Forum feedback.

AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW SHUCKY DUCKY NAAAAOOWWW

CLICK MY SIG FOR PICS OF JAILBAIT YOU SICK MOTHERFUCKER!!!

BBS Signature

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:49:24

At 5/26/13 03:23 PM, tox wrote: an edit button has proven ... disrupive in the past...
it also does not attract the kinds of people that newgrounds wants

bb code or what ever this site uses... the site works... are you trying to scrue with stuff?
are you trying to alter the pressence of the site and its originality?

So, newgrounds is basically searching for spammers, yeah that makes a lot of sense.

Also, there's a difference between originality and disability, this site is in a wheelchair, barely breathing, that isn't original design, nor is it innovative, its just fucking stupid. The site is needlessly disabling itself, thats not original, its the behaviour a moron displays, in a site that has such a renowned creed, you'd think it'd be on top of this sort of thing.

And no it does not use BBcode like a sensible site would.

At 5/26/13 03:22 PM, hecticjon wrote: well joke's on you, this bbs was designed in 2001

It might help it's case if it actually felt like it.

"you know what can solve that? quoting other people's posts with the original post intact, along with including a thing that says "UserX edited this message at May 13, 2004 at 13:59". i bet it sounds really complicated but actually it isn't

besides this possible abuse of the edit system is nothing compared to the actual usefulness of an edit button. for example in OPs of massive threads you could edit the OP to include new and relevant information all the time

but hey, if you want to talk about problems with the forums beyond the edit button, how about the fact that mods are not able to move threads to other forums, something that can be done in any other message board or BBS designed in the last 15 years"

See, he knows I'm onto something, admittedly my tone could have been less snide, but meh, it was fun. Unlike me he has the absurd huge post count to validate it as well.

"I'm pretty sure being a piece of human garbage is a prerequisite for complaining about the technical design of an internet forum and then continuing to use said forum anyways.

Enjoy your hidden self-loathing and social anxiety, buckaroo."

This might have been a favorable retort if your superfluous post count didn't mark off any credibility that you may have a life yourself. So I guess you get to be the piece of Human Garbage.

Nice try though, Marshal Dork.

If you are all so attached to the absence of the edit button, at least add some embed support, besides its funny when people fuck those up.

It's making me wait 30 minutes to post,, so apologies for my lack of responses from here on.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 15:52:52

Ok now let's just all pretend we care about and appreciate the feedback and move on...
Btw, isn't BBcode responsible for how chaotic the other forums are due to the tens of images per post?
Also, I wouldn't trust an edit button to this community.

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 16:03:01

An edit button has been discussed and dismissed many times. +1
Paste the url of a video in your post. Click it. Watch.
None of us can do anything about the way the site functions, so there's really no point in bitching about it here. But if it upsets you so much and you feel that strongly about it, PM Tomfulp or even liljim (I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that convo).

Have a nice day.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 16:03:58

At 5/26/13 03:52 PM, tonypar16 wrote: Ok now let's just all pretend we care about and appreciate the feedback and move on...

You're too kind.

At 5/26/13 03:52 PM, tonypar16 wrote: Btw, isn't BBcode responsible for how chaotic the other forums are due to the tens of images per post?

I doubt it'll ever get very bad, I frequent a lot of sites that use BB code (which is to say, everyone except this one) and I've only once seen such a scenario, and that was in a thread built for spamming, it was called the Spam Topic, and its purpose was to keep spam out of other areas.

Besides, this forum is incredibly chaotic, just in other ways.

At 5/26/13 03:52 PM, tonypar16 wrote: Also, I wouldn't trust an edit button to this community.

Honestly, neither would I, but I also dislike not being able to fix accidental embeds I thought would work.

So long as you couldn't edit other peoples posts I don't think it would be incredibly worrisome.

"although the aesthetics are pretty, the functionality sucks dick"

Agreed, it looks nice, it just functions like a dustbowl of crap. It's like if Crysis became a forum.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 16:08:15

At 5/26/13 04:05 PM, hecticjon wrote: honestly i'd think if a problem was brought up this many times then maybe it would be a good idea to fix it instead of dismissing it.

I don't consider not having an edit button a problem. The people that do are usually the people that want to abuse it (as mentioned above).

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 16:10:53

At 5/26/13 04:03 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: An edit button has been discussed and dismissed many times. +1
Paste the url of a video in your post. Click it. Watch.

I did.

At 5/26/13 04:03 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: None of us can do anything about the way the site functions, so there's really no point in bitching about it here. But if it upsets you so much and you feel that strongly about it, PM Tomfulp or even liljim (I'd like to be a fly on the wall for that convo).

Have a nice day.

Given that you don't really trust them to be agreeable, which mind you, isn't terribly new; I don't think a no name like myself will be able to change anything, I just assumed Admins actually looked at threads in a site they administrate, I'm sorry.

It's not just the edit button, there's a poorly conceived range of options and a highly lacking quantity thereof.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 16:16:22

I've run out of milk.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 16:25:33

At 5/26/13 04:16 PM, liljim wrote: I've run out of milk.

...and so have I, and since again this site proves itself a stubborn stick in the mud unable to evolve beyond the traditions it has invoked, I'm getting tired of caressing my udder for more to feed a baby that refuses to grow.

But now I can allegedly confirm that the admins and moderators aren't going to change this site for the better and there's no use teaching the stubbornly misguided.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 16:26:37

At 5/26/13 03:57 PM, hecticjon wrote:
At 5/26/13 03:52 PM, tonypar16 wrote: Btw, isn't BBcode responsible for how chaotic the other forums are due to the tens of images per post?
oh yeah, i use forums with bbcode all the time and absolutely every single post is filled with dozens if not hundreds of images. it's very scary

You are so damn funny.

Bitte meine beliebte Nazi mods, keine bannerino, weil ich auch ein Nazi Scwein bin! Danke schön

BBS Signature

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 16:28:42

At 5/26/13 04:26 PM, tonypar16 wrote: You are so damn funny.

It honestly made me chuckle out loud too. The sarcasm cuts deep.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 16:33:59

At 5/26/13 04:27 PM, hecticjon wrote:
At 5/26/13 04:08 PM, ReNaeNae wrote: I don't consider not having an edit button a problem. The people that do are usually the people that want to abuse it (as mentioned above).
are you kidding me? usually the people i see asking for an edit button are the people who are just looking for near-basic functionality in their forums, such as the OP of this thread

At 5/26/13 04:20 PM, Spirit wrote: people could alter their post history and in debates people could change their previous posts to appear more favorable
make it so you can't edit your posts after an hour. there problem solved

lack of an edit button encourages people to think before they post in their spelling / punctuation / post content
lack of a preview button makes this more difficult to do

I vote you for Admin, you're honestly the most logical person here. Not just because you agree with me, but you are better at coming up with work arounds and make it much clearer why this system is so stupid, you're using logic to deface the illogical, and i like that.

Because no matter what defense is pulled up this system is illogical, it wouldn't be the only site using it if it wasn't. Typically I don't complain, but this is just insanely frivolous and every reason supplied has been blaming those who would abuse it.

You moderators... can reprimand people, you know that right? At least, I assume you can.

If not there's another feature you need and don't have because your BBS was written by two men on an acid trip.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 16:47:02

At 5/26/13 04:28 PM, BizarreMonkey wrote:

Your "honest" hypocritical post just made you sound even more stupid.
You apparently forced a joke on yourself for the sole reason it defends you.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 16:58:38

At 5/26/13 04:54 PM, hecticjon wrote: "you can edit your OP to have new and relevant shit!"

A good compromise would be first posts could add information, but not edit what's already there after an hour.

BBS Signature

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 17:30:37

At 5/26/13 04:47 PM, tonypar16 wrote:
At 5/26/13 04:28 PM, BizarreMonkey wrote:
Your "honest" hypocritical post just made you sound even more stupid.
You apparently forced a joke on yourself for the sole reason it defends you.

Is it so unbelievable I found the sarcasm funny, and besides, i only brought it up now because you did, I didn't point it out earlier because I was still under the impression i had a means to change anything.

In case you hadn't noticed, I don't need defending, I've basically been standing up right in defiance of those who disagree with me, if not outright trolling them into submission.

There's no real hypocrisy here, I found it funny, and I thought you did too. Sorry for not being able to decipher every thing you say.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 18:30:38

At 5/26/13 03:37 PM, hecticjon wrote:
besides this possible abuse of the edit system is nothing compared to the actual usefulness of an edit button. for example in OPs of massive threads you could edit the OP to include new and relevant information all the time

That sounds like the start of an awesome idea, with a tweak. Instead of an 'edit' button, the OP of a thread should have an 'addition' button, so that new information can be added to the original post, without removing the old information.

That would be a way to prevent abuse, and add usability.

Response to Forum feedback. 2013-05-26 18:35:42

I would lie face down in the middle of the street for days if any of your "suggestions" are ever implemented into the site