00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Thuy78 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What instruments do you play?

4,721 Views | 58 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to What instruments do you play? 2013-05-30 02:20:09

I've played the tenor saxophone since 7th grade. Played it throughout high school too for the instrumental band course there too. I don't own my own yet, so I'm probably a bit rusty, but I wasn't too shabby.

Response to What instruments do you play? 2013-05-30 19:04:55

Trumpet, French Horn, Bass Guitar, Piano.
I wish I could play a woodwind instrument. maybe I'll learn.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to What instruments do you play? 2013-05-31 19:32:22

Piano/Keyboard, learned it in a music school.
Clarinet, learned in a music school too.
Saxophone, self-taught and not particularly good...
Ocarina and flute, learned it from my mom.
Guitar (poorly), learned it from my dad.

I always wanted to learn how to play the guitar properly, but somehow I never find the time.

Response to What instruments do you play? 2013-05-31 19:56:13

Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Didgeridoo, Bongos, Djembe. I have a harmonica and a banjo but I wouldn't really say that I can play them.

Response to What instruments do you play? 2013-06-03 09:55:13

Primarily playing bass for 2 1/2 years now. Easily transferred what I know to guitar (for writing purposes).

Ever since 6th grade I've had a fascination with the ukulele, so I play it as well.

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-07-31 14:12:13

I was pretty good at the piano. Just need to learn how to master one

Sig by @Brokendeck

BBS Signature

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-07-31 15:08:21

Triangle, guitar and bass. And i attempt to play piano.

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-07-31 15:59:41

Primarily a drummer, been playing for 18 years or so.
Self-taught on guitar and bass.
Can play uber-simple stuff on a keyboard.
Never learned a wind instrument or bowed stringed instrument. Maybe one day.

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-07-31 22:41:57

I play piano.

It happens. :/

Guitar. I took some lessons back in the day but had no drive for it since I always wanted to be a bassist, so i suck.

Bass. Self taught, would be much, much better if somebody would have just given me a bass and lessons on that in the first place.

I can play contrabass with a bow as well.

Baglama Saz (short and long neck). Taught myself

Divan Saz. Taught myself

Mandolin. Taught myself

Banjo. Can't play very well, but I can play

Slide Guitar. Used to be pretty good at that, but I've forgotten how to really get down and dirty with the slide

Sanshin. Self taught, haven't played it in a year or so though.

Hope I'm not forgetting anything.

OH YEAH and Keyboard. I haven't played in a couple years. Should break out my keyboards.

Guitar (acoustic, rhythm, and lead), bass, trombone, and vocals.

Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect. The way you practice is the way you will perform.

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-03 21:35:48

Drums

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-03 22:31:13

At 8/3/15 09:35 PM, girafficus wrote: Drums

Waste of time when the TR909 already exists.

p.s. ur gay

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-03 22:42:55

At 8/3/15 10:31 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote:

funny

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-03 22:43:59

Piano & Synth (self-taught)
Vocals (self-taught)

We have 2 rehearsals/week with my band and it really improved my playing before and after (we started back in 2007, with 3 albums released as of today). Getting ready for live shows is the thing that helped me the most.

There's some music videos of my band on my profile's page.
However, we're a metal band. Might not be everyone's cup of tea ;)

BBS Signature

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-03 22:45:17

At 5/31/13 07:56 PM, TacoMilagroIII wrote: Guitar, Bass, Mandolin, Didgeridoo, Bongos, Djembe. I have a harmonica and a banjo but I wouldn't really say that I can play them.

Didgeridoo! This is AWESOME!

BBS Signature

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-03 22:50:36

At 8/3/15 10:31 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote:
At 8/3/15 10:19 PM, TheBetterAudioPortal wrote: I am not a troll.

O RLY?

Derp.

BBS Signature

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-04 00:15:52

Well, I'm a self taught percussionist, I play Drumset mainly, but have played marching tenor drums, snare, and bass, I love playing marimba but have never played it in a official setting like I have the others.

But I studied French Horn for 10 years, and that by far is my favorite instrument to play.

I also self taught myself how to play piano, guitar and bass.

I can also play all other brass instruments except the Tuba, I suck at tuba.

So yea!!! Yay music!!!

BBS Signature

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-04 00:17:33

At 5/23/13 11:53 PM, Chando wrote: Pure-bred percussionist here. Started out on drumset for two years, added in concert percussion and marching percussion for the past 4.

But you guys seriously have no idea how much I love tambourine.

YEA PERCUSSIONISTS REPRESENT

BBS Signature

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-04 00:18:20

At 5/24/13 11:00 PM, samulis wrote: Trombone/Bass Trombone primary... also teaching myself how to play bass recorder. For a while I was in the process of learning to play fretless zither, but I had to give the one I was using back to the owner (perhaps I will buy it from him since he doesn't know how to tune it).

You're the only other brass player ive seen in here! YEA BRASS REPRESENT

BBS Signature

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-04 00:37:46

At 8/4/15 12:18 AM, trunotfals wrote:
At 5/24/13 11:00 PM, samulis wrote: Trombone/Bass Trombone primary... also teaching myself how to play bass recorder. For a while I was in the process of learning to play fretless zither, but I had to give the one I was using back to the owner (perhaps I will buy it from him since he doesn't know how to tune it).
You're the only other brass player ive seen in here! YEA BRASS REPRESENT

Haha woooo what a blast from the past. XD

There actually are a number of other brass players around here. @Camoshark and @Nimble both play trumpet (and I believe @sorohanro as well). @PeterSatera play(s/ed) trombone, I think... that's all I can pull off the top of my head right now, but I know there are quite a few others!

Well, I've come a helluva long way from that... I guess I should update? I now play all low and mid brass (so everything that isn't a trumpet, flugel, or a tuba, although I've honked around on tubas and being a bass bone player, it's not that alien); this also includes some other brassy oddities like tenorhornen. I also do SATB recorders, which I started learning soon after my post, and a variety of other flutes/whistles. The fretless zither interest branched out into all sorts of zithers and hammered dulcimers, which I can at least say I can flub around on, haha.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

At 8/4/15 12:18 AM, trunotfals wrote: You're the only other brass player ive seen in here! YEA BRASS REPRESENT

Samulis is right. I played trombone since primary school (about 9 years old). Although I haven't played for about a decade. It would be great to get back into it, but using keyboard is quicker than recording a rusty trombone. ;)

Ahh the days where I had to heave that thing on a bus full of people.

BBS Signature

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-04 10:58:36

Well as Sam said my Primary Instrument is Trumpet but I can play French Horn and Trombone as well. Bass Guitar is also something I've recently been picking up and having a whole lot of fun with, and I like to dabble in theory fun whenever I get on a keyboard.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.

"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-04 19:10:02

jazz+classical guitar (by extension some bass guitar)
piano
cello
viola da gamba
Various "stupid instruments"

I'm a composer. I'll make music for you.

Visit my site for my portfolio!

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-05 02:24:58

At 5/23/13 02:15 PM, eatmeatleet wrote: None. There is no point of using instruments ever since midi was invented

haha all hail the future!

Please give me feedback on my track!

Fairview

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-05 04:20:31

At 8/4/15 07:10 PM, sleepFacingWest wrote: jazz+classical guitar (by extension some bass guitar)
piano
cello
viola da gamba

Why would you call them stupid? I'd be willing to pay up for something which people call stupid.

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-05 11:17:16

At 8/5/15 04:20 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 8/4/15 07:10 PM, sleepFacingWest wrote: jazz+classical guitar (by extension some bass guitar)
piano
cello
viola da gamba
Why would you call them stupid? I'd be willing to pay up for something which people call stupid.

It's a loving term I use to refer to auxiliary instruments that I often play for production purposes or could cover them in a non-classical live setting, but would never list on a resume or discuss in conversation if someone asked me what I play. Among other things, this includes glockenspiel, shakers/tambourines/cymbals, dulcimer, melodica, an erhu that I don't really "play" so to speak but can squeak noise out of, etc. They're not ACTUALLY stupid but it sounds silly to mention them. That said, I DO know percussionists who have spent hours on end practicing the triangle. It seems simple enough, but getting exactly the right tone an hitting it precisely at the right time is actually insanely difficult.

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-05 11:59:24

At 8/5/15 11:17 AM, sleepFacingWest wrote:
At 8/5/15 04:20 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
piano
cello
viola da gamba
It's a loving term I use to refer to auxiliary instruments that I often play for production purposes or could cover them in a non-classical live setting, but would never list on a resume or discuss in conversation if someone asked me what I play. Among other things, this includes glockenspiel, shakers/tambourines/cymbals, dulcimer, melodica, an erhu that I don't really "play" so to speak but can squeak noise out of, etc. They're not ACTUALLY stupid but it sounds silly to mention them. That said, I DO know percussionists who have spent hours on end practicing the triangle. It seems simple enough, but getting exactly the right tone an hitting it precisely at the right time is actually insanely difficult.

Not listing a glockenspiel and a dulcimer is like not listing a major instrument; I can understand not listing various untuned percussions, but glock and dulcimer? O_O I still think there's respect to be accorded to a lot of the instruments you play.

It's just like me not listing down the pipe organ just because I can play the piano, and therefore every keyboard instrument should come to me naturally... and yet, playing the organ is a coveted skill in some circles. Ah, I don't claim to understand.

Response to What instruments do you play? 2015-08-05 12:59:37

Not listing a glockenspiel and a dulcimer is like not listing a major instrument; I can understand not listing various untuned percussions, but glock and dulcimer? O_O I still think there's respect to be accorded to a lot of the instruments you play.

It's just like me not listing down the pipe organ just because I can play the piano, and therefore every keyboard instrument should come to me naturally... and yet, playing the organ is a coveted skill in some circles. Ah, I don't claim to understand.

You're absolutely right! I should choose my words more carefully. I typically don't list stuff like that because I'm afraid I'd actually be asked to play them for something. While I can read music and hack out simple lines on a lot of instruments, I would panic if someone asked me to play a session and dropped music with a modicum of complexity in front of me. Playing pop melodies or repetitive ostinatos? Great! Ripping 16th note runs, fast tempos, or dealing with shifting key signatures? Um...I don't really play the dulcimer ;)