New Topic Respond to this Topic
digitalmath
digitalmath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Uploading Zelda Remix May. 21st, 2013 @ 10:30 AM Reply

Just signed up to NG.... I have a Zelda remix that's been quite popular on my youtube and so on. BUT I just read in the terms and conditions of uploading your music it says not even game samples. All the track is written from scratch (no original recordings) but I have sound effects from the games ocarina of time[n64] and legend of zelda [snes] (like link swinging the sword coin noises and so on). whats the go should I be safe to upload it?? Or will I get the record for fastest banned account ever? :)

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Uploading Zelda Remix May. 21st, 2013 @ 10:50 AM Reply

At 5/21/13 10:30 AM, digitalmath wrote: Just signed up to NG.... I have a Zelda remix that's been quite popular on my youtube and so on. BUT I just read in the terms and conditions of uploading your music it says not even game samples. All the track is written from scratch (no original recordings) but I have sound effects from the games ocarina of time[n64] and legend of zelda [snes] (like link swinging the sword coin noises and so on). whats the go should I be safe to upload it?? Or will I get the record for fastest banned account ever? :)

I think sound samples are copyrighted for a certain period of time (I'm not sure how long it is in the US; it's 50 years? in the UK) and if you're still under that duration, yep, you've just done a copyright breach and that song will have to be removed.

AMDG ✝

Blank slate, with no project files from years past to base oneself on.

BBS Signature
digitalmath
digitalmath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Uploading Zelda Remix May. 21st, 2013 @ 11:00 AM Reply

I think sound samples are copyrighted for a certain period of time (I'm not sure how long it is in the US; it's 50 years? in the UK) and if you're still under that duration, yep, you've just done a copyright breach and that song will have to be removed.

Thanks for the reply I haven't uploaded it wanted to check... I just find this really tight! I don't know the nitty gritty of newgrounds I appreciate they're covering their arses but jeez a remix is a remix that's why a lot of producers put out remixes for free as long as they're not making money off it (yea there's a law against it in most countries) but no one in their right mind would try to act against it eg. try to sue! this is just really strange to me :/

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to Uploading Zelda Remix May. 21st, 2013 @ 11:06 AM Reply

At 5/21/13 11:00 AM, digitalmath wrote:
Thanks for the reply I haven't uploaded it wanted to check... I just find this really tight! I don't know the nitty gritty of newgrounds I appreciate they're covering their arses but jeez a remix is a remix that's why a lot of producers put out remixes for free as long as they're not making money off it (yea there's a law against it in most countries) but no one in their right mind would try to act against it eg. try to sue! this is just really strange to me :/

Well, considering what Nintendo is doing to Let's Plays and video game commentary and reviews and every single video featuring their products in general, you'd be darned indeed.

As much as I think that copyright law should be a shield for newer and moderate artists and not a sword for the established (as it rightly is in the UK), you'd be surprised to hear what's going on.

AMDG ✝

Blank slate, with no project files from years past to base oneself on.

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Uploading Zelda Remix May. 21st, 2013 @ 11:49 AM Reply

someone reading the rules?

holy shit

lel

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to Uploading Zelda Remix May. 21st, 2013 @ 04:36 PM Reply

At 5/21/13 10:30 AM, digitalmath wrote:

I think you should be allowed to just because you read the rules.

But there's tons of way to get around it.. Find a royalty free coin sample, create your own slashing noise using a reverse crash/white noise modulations, etc.

Personally I'm not against using samples from games, especially Zelda, but rules, I guess. Mods probably won't murder you into oblivion unless its completely obvious or you stole an entire song.

[Hatred Intensifies]

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Uploading Zelda Remix May. 21st, 2013 @ 04:59 PM Reply

Let me just make it clear that I or any other audio moderator will remove any track that contains copyrighted samples and temporarily ban whoever uses them. As strict as it is, rules are rules.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
digitalmath
digitalmath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Uploading Zelda Remix May. 21st, 2013 @ 07:38 PM Reply

At 5/21/13 04:59 PM, Step wrote: Let me just make it clear that I or any other audio moderator will remove any track that contains copyrighted samples and temporarily ban whoever uses them. As strict as it is, rules are rules.

Sorry I'm a noob! but if I posted a link to the song via Youtube or soundcloud on the relevant forum is this ok??

digitalmath
digitalmath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Uploading Zelda Remix May. 22nd, 2013 @ 02:17 AM Reply

At 5/21/13 04:59 PM, Step wrote: Let me just make it clear that I or any other audio moderator will remove any track that contains copyrighted samples and temporarily ban whoever uses them. As strict as it is, rules are rules

The strangest part of all this is there's many games/movies on NG that is remaking mario characters simpsons heaps... Oh well :(

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Uploading Zelda Remix May. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:02 AM Reply

At 5/21/13 07:38 PM, digitalmath wrote: Sorry I'm a noob! but if I posted a link to the song via Youtube or soundcloud on the relevant forum is this ok??

Yes! As long as you post it in the proper thread, since if everyone made a new thread about their music then this forum would be filled with self-advertising everywhere!

At 5/22/13 02:17 AM, digitalmath wrote: The strangest part of all this is there's many games/movies on NG that is remaking mario characters simpsons heaps... Oh well :(

Some games and movies here use copyrighted audio, it's true. Tom, the admin, made a post about this a long while ago actually, and as far as I know, while the staff prefers it if all game developers and animators use non-copyrighted resources only, this is tough to enforce, especially in terms of sound effects. A very small amount of people here make good sound effects, so people have to resort to using copyrighted sound effects for their games and movies a lot of the time. It's still quite frowned upon to use copyrighted music and artwork, though, and making money out of submissions which have copyrighted stuff in them could get someone in a sticky legal situation too.

With us musicians, the rules are easier to enforce since there's rarely a need to use copyrighted audio when we make audio ourselves. Movie/game makers often use Audio Portal music in their submissions as well, so needless to say, it's best to make sure that whatever music they use doesn't have any copyrighted samples in it already haha.

If you find any music on here that goes against the rules, then post it here!

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
digitalmath
digitalmath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Uploading Zelda Remix May. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:22 AM Reply

At 5/22/13 04:02 AM, Step wrote:
At 5/21/13 07:38 PM, digitalmath wrote:

A very small amount of people here make good sound effects, so people have to resort to using copyrighted sound effects for their games and movies a lot of the time

Thanks for the info interested to hear there's only a few people to make good sound effects! I'm very keen on sound design. Will have to search for a few people seeking some effects ;)

NikeTheSword
NikeTheSword
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Uploading Zelda Remix May. 22nd, 2013 @ 08:45 AM Reply

At 5/22/13 02:17 AM, digitalmath wrote: The strangest part of all this is there's many games/movies on NG that is remaking mario characters simpsons heaps... Oh well :(

Same as doing a remix from scratch. They're not using copyrighted art but creating fanfic and such.
Put the youtube/soundcloud link on your news. Should work just like submiting audio, atleast in theory :P

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.