New Topic Respond to this Topic
St0mpy
St0mpy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
What is a club mix 2013-05-20 14:38:27 Reply

Hello, I was recently asked to create a mono club mix for live performances, DJs, etc. The genre is generally in the experimental hip hop family.

My question is: What exactly makes a club mix "a club mix"?

sorohanro
sorohanro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 28
Musician
Response to What is a club mix 2013-05-20 15:44:08 Reply

At 5/20/13 02:38 PM, St0mpy wrote: Hello, I was recently asked to create a mono club mix for live performances, DJs, etc. The genre is generally in the experimental hip hop family.

My question is: What exactly makes a club mix "a club mix"?

I guess the first thing would be to sound good in a club. Usually, you have less control of where are positioned the speakers, so, the stereo field I think it should be smaller, less "ping pong" things.
Very consistent bass, drums and vocals, very mono compatible, so you can hear the important things wherever you sit (or dance) in the club.

It might mean also as style, as in more like house/ chill, with less aggressive drums or other elements, something that you can talk over it.

Sydonai
Sydonai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to What is a club mix 2013-05-20 16:12:57 Reply

What sorohanro said.

Plus, usually a club mix is longer and has a start and an end that are easily mixable with other tracks (correct me if wrong).

jpbear
jpbear
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to What is a club mix 2013-05-20 16:13:17 Reply

At 5/20/13 03:44 PM, sorohanro wrote: complicating things

stereo isnt really important at all, just nothing too crazy.

A club mix of a track is one that is more easily DJ-able. This means a relatively simple beat and/or melody to open the track up, and likewise in the end of the track.

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to What is a club mix 2013-05-20 19:15:10 Reply

At 5/20/13 04:13 PM, jpbear wrote: A club mix of a track is one that is more easily DJ-able. This means a relatively simple beat and/or melody to open the track up, and likewise in the end of the track.

Yeah, this. Make sure you have at least 8 bars of just a beat (maybe with small effects and synths but nothing too major) at the beginning and end so DJs can easily transition the track in and out of their mix. Also, club music generally goes by 8 bars as this also makes it easier for DJs and keeps a nice steady tempo going. So make sure each significant part starts every 8th, 16th, 24th etc, not every 4th bar!

Here are also some general guidelines that do not necessarily need to be followed, but can help your track to be played more (at least in the clubs in my area):

- Have a part or two where there is no beat for atmosphere
- When the beat does come in, keep it at a steady 4/4 beat (variations throughout are fine of course, but the main essence of the beat should be steady)
- If your track has lots of energy, create a suspensful build up. If the track is more calm and atmospherical - something that will be played more towards the beginning of the night, leave it out.

Now rip up dem clubs!

The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to What is a club mix 2013-05-20 19:17:44 Reply

At 5/20/13 07:15 PM, The-iMortal wrote: - When the beat does come in, keep it at a steady 4/4 beat (variations throughout are fine of course, but the main essence of the beat should be steady)

Obviously, don't do this for a hip-hop track.

gavkay21
gavkay21
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to What is a club mix 2013-05-22 12:48:43 Reply

Its simply a extended mix that allows a dj to mix in a set. Idk about hip hop but most house and its varoius sub genre's have a 16/32 bar intro and outro.

On further note i rarly dj anything without these intro/outro's so its pretty much reccomended when producing any 4x4 genre. As for hip hop id use crossfader to cut the song at the right moment as well as looping vocals

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to What is a club mix 2013-05-22 14:44:15 Reply

ADDITIONAL TWO CENTS BECAUSE FIRST FEW POASTS WASNT ACCURATE ENOUGH.

Seriously though, why are we still here?

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.