Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 05:35 AM Reply

Hey all!

TL;DR: I made this: Instaud.io - quick and easy audio sharing for audio producers (music producers, singers, musicians, voice actors, sound designers...)

Over the past few months I've been working on a simple website for super simple audio file sharing. The target audience is musicians like you and me, who like to frequently share bits of work in progress on social networks or over IM, to get some feedback before finishing the final product and uploading it to the NGAP, SoundCloud, or what have you.

The main objective is to make it quick and simple, and I like to think that's what it is right now.

All you do is drag a file onto the page (or use a conventional upload button), wait for it to upload, and you get redirected to a very simple page with just a big audio player, under a short URL.

You can click on the progress bar in the player to advance to somewhere in the file, just like you would with any audio player. The difference is that the URL updates to include the time point you've selected. This lets you link to a specific point in an audio file, which makes it all the more useful for feedback.

Here's an example of an audio page: http://instaud.io/t

That's my attempt at playing a simple version of Requiem for a Dream, but I digress.

You don't need a user account or anything, you just get on there, upload your file, and you're done.

You have the chance to delete the file again as long as you don't close your browser. If you still need a file deleted after that, you can use the link in the footer.

I am continually working on improvements and new features for this thing; if you want to stay up to date, you can do that through Facebook or Twitter.

I hope y'all find it useful!

A tool I made: Instaud.io

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 05:47 AM Reply

And once again Mich saves the day.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
The-iMortal
The-iMortal
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 09:02 AM Reply

Good stuff. Thanks!

Sydonai
Sydonai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 09:42 AM Reply

Great stuff, gz

Qelaion
Qelaion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 12:59 PM Reply

Oh Mich, you and your sweet and awesome inventions you

BC | SC | FB
Click the sig for my Youtube.

BBS Signature
HyperTrough
HyperTrough
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 01:27 PM Reply

This is a brilliant idea! Dropbox usually does the trick but this seems more user-friendly (and easier for people that can't make stream links).

One thing though, if we somehow lose the link but want our audio deleted, how would we know where to find it to click delete? The urls are too predictable. Not that I'm concern people may stumble upon my wips by typing random urls, but just something to consider.

lol fuk u

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 01:33 PM Reply

At 5/20/13 01:27 PM, HyperTrough wrote: This is a brilliant idea! Dropbox usually does the trick but this seems more user-friendly (and easier for people that can't make stream links).

One thing though, if we somehow lose the link but want our audio deleted, how would we know where to find it to click delete? The urls are too predictable. Not that I'm concern people may stumble upon my wips by typing random urls, but just something to consider.

I'm planning to add the ability to set your upload as private, so you need a special (non-predictable) URL to access it.
As for deleting things later, I'm still toying with ideas on that. Some options:

- Provide a deletion code on the audio page, which will show up as long as you don't close your browser, up to you to write down the deletion code if you think you might need to delete it later on

- Allow submitting an email address during the browser session when you've uploaded the file, then when you want a file deleted, you hit a link in the footer, enter the email address you've previously entered, and request to have the delete link sent to you

- Account system where you can manage your uploads (My least favorite, if you need accounts, it's becoming significantly less simple)

Thanks for the feedback!

And thanks for the kind words everyone else! :-)

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 01:40 PM Reply

It's wonderful. That's all I can say.

Rampant
Rampant
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 04:04 PM Reply

At 5/20/13 01:33 PM, Mich wrote: - Provide a deletion code on the audio page, which will show up as long as you don't close your browser, up to you to write down the deletion code if you think you might need to delete it later on

- Allow submitting an email address during the browser session when you've uploaded the file, then when you want a file deleted, you hit a link in the footer, enter the email address you've previously entered, and request to have the delete link sent to you

- Account system where you can manage your uploads (My least favorite, if you need accounts, it's becoming significantly less simple)

Automatically delete files after 24/48/72 hours? Otherwise, it seems to be less of a "quickly upload audio to get quick feedback" and more of...

At 5/20/13 01:27 PM, HyperTrough wrote: ...people may stumble upon my wips by typing random urls, but just something to consider.

...a regular online file storage site, limited to mp3s.

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 04:39 PM Reply

At 5/20/13 04:04 PM, RampantMusik wrote: Automatically delete files after 24/48/72 hours? Otherwise, it seems to be less of a "quickly upload audio to get quick feedback" and more of...

I'd personally be pretty annoyed about URLs just expiring like that. It's however something to consider. I'd prefer it as something for the user to decide post-upload.

At 5/20/13 01:27 PM, HyperTrough wrote: ...people may stumble upon my wips by typing random urls, but just something to consider.
...a regular online file storage site, limited to mp3s.

As well as WAVs and OGGs, but that aside; the main idea is having a useful player easily at your disposal.

HyperTrough
HyperTrough
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 04:48 PM Reply

At 5/20/13 04:04 PM, RampantMusik wrote: Automatically delete files after 24/48/72 hours? Otherwise, it seems to be less of a "quickly upload audio to get quick feedback" and more of...

I really like this idea. Maybe even giving the option to choose the amount of time the file is kept up before being deleted.

In the meantime, I will be using this site A LOT and spreading the word.

lol fuk u

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 05:27 PM Reply

At 5/20/13 04:48 PM, HyperTrough wrote:
At 5/20/13 04:04 PM, RampantMusik wrote: Automatically delete files after 24/48/72 hours?
I really like this idea. Maybe even giving the option to choose the amount of time the file is kept up before being deleted.

I'll add this to my development list.

In the meantime, I will be using this site A LOT and spreading the word.

Thanks a lot, I appreciate that. :)

Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 20th, 2013 @ 11:13 PM Reply

Mich, I love you. Great, Simple tool. I will use it till the day I die.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 21st, 2013 @ 03:26 AM Reply

Mich holy crap, you're my hero.

This thing is awesome.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 21st, 2013 @ 12:36 PM Reply

monetize it!

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 21st, 2013 @ 03:36 PM Reply

At 5/21/13 12:36 PM, jarrydn wrote: monetize it!

Once it gains traction, I'll be looking into that for sure! :) Mostly once it gets to a point where I have to dish out extra cash to support it. Currently it all runs fine on infrastructure I was already paying for anyway (with the exception of the domain name, but that's negligible).

AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 21st, 2013 @ 05:19 PM Reply

Slick tool, I'll definitely be using it in the future. Only 10 MB though? :( I'll have to start reducing my bitrate I guess.

FWIW it took me a few tries before I actually got the "No more than 10 MB" error message. The rest of the times it just said it failed.

Thanks for this!

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--
Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 21st, 2013 @ 07:12 PM Reply

Well, this is pretty darn awesome.

I'll just put in my two cents and say that it could be even better if I could embed it.

Unless I missed that somewhere.

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Potatoman
Potatoman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Animator
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 21st, 2013 @ 07:19 PM Reply

This is freaking amazing! Its like imgur but AUDIO!

BBS Signature
Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 21st, 2013 @ 07:28 PM Reply

your a towel

lel

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:42 AM Reply

At 5/21/13 05:19 PM, AetherX wrote: Slick tool, I'll definitely be using it in the future. Only 10 MB though? :( I'll have to start reducing my bitrate I guess.

FWIW it took me a few tries before I actually got the "No more than 10 MB" error message. The rest of the times it just said it failed.

Thanks for this!

Strange that it wouldn't give you that message at first. Might have to make the generic error message a bit more helpful.

It's capped at 10MB because it's just running on my own server which doesn't exactly have unlimited space. Once it gains some traction (and I've got some way to monetize it, even if only slightly), I can move storage to "the cloud", that is, Amazon's S3. Then I can possibly put that limit a bit higher.

Glad you find it useful!

At 5/21/13 07:12 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote: I'll just put in my two cents and say that it could be even better if I could embed it.

For sure. Definitely adding an embeddable version to the list.

At 5/21/13 07:19 PM, Potatoman wrote: This is freaking amazing! Its like imgur but AUDIO!

That's, unsurprisingly, where the inspiration came from, actually.

TonalReboot
TonalReboot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 22nd, 2013 @ 06:05 AM Reply

this idea of this site has already been done you can use drop box or even skype to send files so i dont see the need in an other music sharing site

Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 22nd, 2013 @ 01:56 PM Reply

It would be nice if I could upload flp. files

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 22nd, 2013 @ 02:04 PM Reply

At 5/22/13 06:05 AM, raymanftw94 wrote: this idea of this site has already been done you can use drop box or even skype to send files so i dont see the need in an other music sharing site

Have you actually used dropbox to share a music file? It fucking sucks. Facebook accuses you of being a spammer. There are bandwidth considerations. Mich's tool fills a valuable niche.

loansindi
loansindi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 22nd, 2013 @ 02:06 PM Reply

At 5/22/13 04:42 AM, Mich wrote:
At 5/21/13 07:19 PM, Potatoman wrote: This is freaking amazing! Its like imgur but AUDIO!
That's, unsurprisingly, where the inspiration came from, actually.

THIS WAS ME. I TOLD MICH TO MAKE AN IMGUR FOR SOUND. I CLAIM ALL CREDIT

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 22nd, 2013 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 5/22/13 01:56 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: It would be nice if I could upload flp. files

You couldn't play them back on the site, which kind of defeats the whole point.

ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 25th, 2013 @ 12:34 PM Reply

Great idea! But having a 10mb limit kind of killed it for me (for now). When I play guitar over people's tracks export in HQ .wav or .ogg and always have massive files.

I will definitely keep an eye out though! Everyone I know would more than likely start using it if it had a 50+mb limit! In the meantime, I'll spread the word.

Thanks and good luck!

BBS Signature
ChimeraNoise
ChimeraNoise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 25th, 2013 @ 12:38 PM Reply

At 5/22/13 02:10 PM, Mich wrote:
At 5/22/13 01:56 PM, Gobblemeister wrote: It would be nice if I could upload flp. files
You couldn't play them back on the site, which kind of defeats the whole point.

Perhaps another tab on the site in the future that allows .flp sharing, or when you upload a file to the site you can have an option to upload an .flp for it and when you download you get both files. That would be sick..

BBS Signature
Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 25th, 2013 @ 05:17 PM Reply

At 5/25/13 12:34 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote: Great idea! But having a 10mb limit kind of killed it for me (for now). When I play guitar over people's tracks export in HQ .wav or .ogg and always have massive files.

I will definitely keep an eye out though! Everyone I know would more than likely start using it if it had a 50+mb limit! In the meantime, I'll spread the word.

Considering it's running on a personally paid for virtual private server with limited hard disk space, I'm kind of forced to keep the file size limits low. If/When it grows and I can monetize it a bit (through nonintrusive ads or something), the plan is to move it to Amazon S3 ("the cloud"), where I could probably afford to push that size limit up a bit.

Thanks for spreading the word!

At 5/25/13 12:38 PM, ChimeraNoise wrote: Perhaps another tab on the site in the future that allows .flp sharing, or when you upload a file to the site you can have an option to upload an .flp for it and when you download you get both files. That would be sick..

I think "project bones" sharing goes a little bit beyond the scope of the site. I think if you're at the point of sharing project files and all that it'd make more sense for both parties to just set up Dropbox, it would be a lot more effective. Instaudio is mostly for sharing quick samplers of progress.

Mich
Mich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Musician
Response to A tool I made: Instaud.io May. 25th, 2013 @ 05:22 PM Reply

Considering there's still interest in this thread I thought it couldn't hurt to announce a new feature I've finished today.

Sorry for the double post though.

You can now upload private files. Public files are the ones with simple incrementing IDs (they increment from 0-9, a-z, A-Z, forming a base 62 system). It's easy to try these IDs and check out audio people have submitted. In the future there will probably an actual exploratory system for these files.

However, if you want to confidentially share your super secret work with just the people you confide in, you can use private upload to only make it available under an un-guessable URL.

You can use instaud.io/private/new for this purpose. The link has been added to the footer as well.

A tool I made: Instaud.io