New Topic Respond to this Topic
Calculus
Calculus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
What Do You use? May. 19th, 2013 @ 10:17 PM Reply

Personally, I'm kinda hoping to give all this a shot. Even if it sucks really bad. YOLO right! :D

So! I'd like to find out from you guys what sort of program do you usually use to make your epic pieces? And maybe, why do you usually like those!

The genre doesn't really matter, but it's probably best if you mention which genre you work with most as well ;)

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 19th, 2013 @ 10:36 PM Reply

Deja vu... I could swear we've had this thread before... maybe a few hundred thousand times...

But, whatever...

FL Studio for the most part, and Reaper for anything that involves live instruments (I.E. Guitar, vocals, bass guitar, etc. etc.). Sometimes I'll use both for a single song, midi editing in FL Studio, and live recording in the other, then rather swap the recorded MP3s into FL Studio, or move the MIDI patterns into Reaper... depends on what I'm doing really.

As for genre I work with most... uhhh... that's a tough one, because I kinda jump all over the place... I think I'm mostly known for my metal though, so let's go with that.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
Calculus
Calculus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to What Do You use? May. 19th, 2013 @ 10:58 PM Reply

At 5/19/13 10:36 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Deja vu... I could swear we've had this thread before... maybe a few hundred thousand times...

But, whatever...

FL Studio for the most part, and Reaper for anything that involves live instruments (I.E. Guitar, vocals, bass guitar, etc. etc.). Sometimes I'll use both for a single song, midi editing in FL Studio, and live recording in the other, then rather swap the recorded MP3s into FL Studio, or move the MIDI patterns into Reaper... depends on what I'm doing really.

As for genre I work with most... uhhh... that's a tough one, because I kinda jump all over the place... I think I'm mostly known for my metal though, so let's go with that.

Oh, I'm sorry if it's been up before. I never really was up on the forums often until recently, so I'm not too aware, and it didn't seem like there were any similar ones last I checked, so... yea! :D

I'm quite curious though, also about arrangements and remixes. How do you guys usually do those? I understand typically some element of the song being arranged or remix usually stays, and that kinda makes me wonder if you guys have the original score or midi at hand... or do you guys play it by ear (like a boss)?

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 12:57 AM Reply

I use MS Paint

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 01:14 AM Reply

I use FL Studio for almost everything.

Used Reason in the past. Basic understanding of Pro Tools.

Audacity for live but Reaper is better.

On newgrounds I post mainly electronic (dance, trance, 8-bit- chiptune) but in my personal life I write rock and jazz music.

:Also I use MS Paint.

Check it! :) //// Never stop making music. Play MOTORJOUST!!!Check it! :)

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Melancholy
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 01:16 AM Reply

At 5/20/13 12:57 AM, SpaceWhale wrote: I use MS Paint

Tha fuck. I can't make wubs for shit in MS. Get PHotoshop or gimp at least. Cheap bastard.

SpaceWhale
SpaceWhale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 01:42 AM Reply

At 5/20/13 01:16 AM, Cabbster wrote:
Tha fuck. I can't make wubs for shit in MS. Get PHotoshop or gimp at least. Cheap bastard.

Shift click and drag man, I don't think PS or GIMP have that feature

Can you feel it mister Krabs?

BBS Signature
Ecke
Ecke
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Audiophile
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 02:48 AM Reply

Logic with Reason 5 as slave(for drums mostly), massive, fm8, an old korg kaos (only works with reason), an akai 24key, and a shit ton of samples I've been buying from people for stupid cheap.

/ Accomplishments: first 1000 comment news post.
/ عثكغ ʘⒺⒸⓀⒺʘ

BBS Signature
EagleGuard
EagleGuard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 04:09 AM Reply

So far I've used:
Melody Assistant (score writing, like because of ease of use)
Reason 4
Sonar 8
Cubase 5
Reaper 4 (current DAW, like because of ease of use and customisation options)

I mostly write... orchestral-ish stuff combined with rock and electronic elements.

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 06:03 AM Reply

I use FL Studio as my main DAW. It's an excellent program, and even has lifetime free updates, so I bought it once and I've never had to pay a cent for new versions since then. I have made jazz, drum'n'bass, techno, ethnic, hip-hop, pop, and loads of other genres, but orchestral is my main genre.

At 5/19/13 10:58 PM, Calculus wrote: I'm quite curious though, also about arrangements and remixes. How do you guys usually do those? I understand typically some element of the song being arranged or remix usually stays, and that kinda makes me wonder if you guys have the original score or midi at hand... or do you guys play it by ear (like a boss)?

I am indeed a boss, but a somewhat tone-deaf boss, so sometimes I do have to refer to the original MIDI to get those tough notes that are hard to make out :3. I love covering stuff, and I think that often people diminish the work and originality that's involved in a good cover.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 06:33 AM Reply

FL Studio, Harmor, Ogun, EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, z3ta+, Reaktor 5, and a fuckload of free soundfonts.

SalmanKushdi
SalmanKushdi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 07:02 AM Reply

At 5/20/13 06:03 AM, Step wrote: I use FL Studio as my main DAW. It's an excellent program,

its great to see good producers and in general a community free from snobbishness about FL

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 04:53 PM Reply

FL Studio 10 for sequencing, Audacity and a Samson Go mic for live tracks (which, at the moment, include bells, vocals and bodhran). I used to use Mario Paint Composer/Advanced Mario Sequencer, and I even had a go on Logic Pro 8 once, on the university computers, when I first learned how to sequence stuff.

Sometimes I completely ditch FL Studio and settle with good ol' bodhran and voices <3

At 5/19/13 10:58 PM, Calculus wrote: I'm quite curious though, also about arrangements and remixes. How do you guys usually do those? I understand typically some element of the song being arranged or remix usually stays, and that kinda makes me wonder if you guys have the original score or midi at hand... or do you guys play it by ear (like a boss)?

I never actually do remixes; all I have are arrangements. Although I can read sheet music, my sight-reading is not the best. So I do all my covers by ear... and add a signature touch to it. Because that's what all good covers hope to do: show the arranger's personal touch, what he can add to a song that already inspird him.

AMDG ✝

Blank slate, with no project files from years past to base oneself on.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 04:54 PM Reply

At 5/20/13 07:02 AM, SalmanKushdi wrote:
At 5/20/13 06:03 AM, Step wrote: I use FL Studio as my main DAW. It's an excellent program,
its great to see good producers and in general a community free from snobbishness about FL

Well, I guess to be fair, a lot of us actually use FL and are unafraid to do so. Heck, even Matthew Pablo (deadlyfishes) is unafraid to say he uses it.

But that's for another discussion, eh? : )

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 05:13 PM Reply

At 5/19/13 10:17 PM, Calculus wrote: Personally, I'm kinda hoping to give all this a shot. Even if it sucks really bad. YOLO right! :D

So! I'd like to find out from you guys what sort of program do you usually use to make your epic pieces? And maybe, why do you usually like those!

The genre doesn't really matter, but it's probably best if you mention which genre you work with most as well ;)

I use the Pro Tools and a bunch of EW/QL stuff. I tend to write stuff mostly in the genre of "stuff bassfiddlejones likes". Which consequently is usually orchestral music.

Nimble
Nimble
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 11:18 PM Reply

Finale 2012c for writing/scoring music, Audacity for adding audio clips into my music and stuff.

I write a fair amount of Classical, Jazz and Contemporary.

Sig Links. Links in Sig. I dunno.
"making a piece of music is kinda like raising a kid (only a lot easier, lol)" - Skye [Winter] 11:28 PM <- Skype? hell yeah.

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 11:28 PM Reply

fl studio and lsdj, hah

p.s. i am gay

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to What Do You use? May. 20th, 2013 @ 11:55 PM Reply

ms paint is the shit!

lel

Calculus
Calculus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to What Do You use? May. 21st, 2013 @ 12:58 AM Reply

At 5/20/13 11:55 PM, Sequenced wrote:
ms paint is the shit!

HAHA That's awesome!

Calculus
Calculus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to What Do You use? May. 21st, 2013 @ 01:01 AM Reply

At 5/20/13 04:54 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
Well, I guess to be fair, a lot of us actually use FL and are unafraid to do so. Heck, even Matthew Pablo (deadlyfishes) is unafraid to say he uses it.

Hm? Is there something about FL Studio that the community dislikes? Why be afraid of using it?

... Could it... Could it be a....

digitalmath
digitalmath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 21st, 2013 @ 10:41 AM Reply

Ableton with Reason 6 rewired make mostly EDM (electro, dubstep, house)

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 21st, 2013 @ 10:44 AM Reply

At 5/21/13 01:01 AM, Calculus wrote:
At 5/20/13 04:54 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:

Hm? Is there something about FL Studio that the community dislikes? Why be afraid of using it?

... Could it... Could it be a....

Possibly a certain diaspora of YouTube users who say "ohai check out my kool beetz", post their work all over YT, and we know just how lacklustre this work is. As a result FL is associated with this group of producers.

Heck even when I started out on FL, even with my horrible mixing, I knew that their stuff was on a different league from mine.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You use? May. 21st, 2013 @ 11:28 AM Reply

At 5/20/13 11:18 PM, NimblekidX wrote: Finale 2012c for writing/scoring music, Audacity for adding audio clips into my music and stuff.

I write a fair amount of Classical, Jazz and Contemporary.

There was a time I love Finale, but because it lacks of dynamic workflow, I had to switch to something else more kicking ass.

I use Renoise and Schism trackers. For editor I use Audacity and Ardour. Scoring is Rosegarden.

I am specialized in experimental cinematic.

The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors. — Paulo Freire

PascalPalomino
PascalPalomino
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 21st, 2013 @ 01:45 PM Reply

At 5/19/13 10:58 PM, Calculus wrote:
At 5/19/13 10:36 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Deja vu... I could swear we've had this thread before... maybe a few hundred thousand times...

But, whatever...

Oh, I'm sorry if it's been up before. I never really was up on the forums often until recently, so I'm not too aware, and it didn't seem like there were any similar ones last I checked, so... yea! :D

I'm quite curious though, also about arrangements and remixes. How do you guys usually do those? I understand typically some element of the song being arranged or remix usually stays, and that kinda makes me wonder if you guys have the original score or midi at hand... or do you guys play it by ear (like a boss)?

I think you should choose your gear depending of the music you want to do.
My rig is built for cinematic music ( I play in band and use my studio for idea but would not produce an album with it).
My sequencer is Digital Performer (It's very powerful for film music) and the sampler are from Spitfire audio. Symphobia (not from spitfire) is another very popular library for making game and film music. But it cost around a 1000$. Theese library are easy to use and don't need much tweak which is great when you work with deadlines. Other libraries like VSL or East West (haven't use East West but that's what I would think) emulate real orchestra but they need a lot of tweaking. Good convolution reverb etc. They are excellent, when you know what your doing.

For arrangement I try to play everything in DP. When you Import midi file from a notation program you need to tweak the part a lot so it doesn't sound unrealistic. No one play the same note twice the same way when they play an instrument and when you import midi well you can guess it's a computer, it doesn't play like a human. Now you have groove and humanize fonction but I don't trust them. I like better to play it myself on a controller and correct the mistake with the mouse. And I'm not a great pianist.

Fleshbag
Fleshbag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 21st, 2013 @ 03:39 PM Reply

FL Studio since version 2.0.1 (God I'm old)
and GoldWave (it's ugly but I love it).

Ocelawt
Ocelawt
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Voice Actor
Response to What Do You use? May. 21st, 2013 @ 04:35 PM Reply

i use a large mix of tools but my 2 most often used tools are....

Audacity - Free, Easy for beginners and has a GREAT set of tools to use

NCH Software Suite - the whole suite is something you have to pay for but Wavepad is free from here and its the tool i use most from the suite but the other programs are also invaluable to me.

this is for my voice acting/ voice over / and audio editing

for audio generation...

Caustic and Loopstack - these 2 free programs together have been some of hte best free ware audio generation tools ive used in a while (also available on android!)

and FLStudio when i get the funds is on the planned buy list

What Do You use?

“Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.”

BBS Signature
Juicebomb
Juicebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You use? May. 21st, 2013 @ 05:32 PM Reply

I use Cubase 4 with Reason 5, because I'm too much of a pussy to learn Pro Tools.

BlackMist75
BlackMist75
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 21st, 2013 @ 07:14 PM Reply

I use FL Studio 10 and Reason 5. Those are amazing programs; reason has these neat instruments and fl studio is good for loops and rap beats. I make a lot of alt rap beats so reason is my pref. because of the variety

alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to What Do You use? May. 21st, 2013 @ 08:18 PM Reply

At 5/19/13 10:17 PM, Calculus wrote: So! I'd like to find out from you guys what sort of program do you usually use to make your epic pieces? And maybe, why do you usually like those!

FL Studio and various other freeware, my instruments ( these are where most of my ideas begin from), and myself...and sometimes nature and random people, for inspiration. I like using all of these because it's just how it's been for several years now, and they're all easy to use (of course, subjective). I do find that having a keyboard is one of the easiest way to come up with ideas, too.

I make stuff in various genres, because I get bored easily and my mind wanders a lot. I can't really imagine sticking with one genre...at all... If it sounds good, then I make it.
This does help with the creativity process and in coming up with unique ideas; sadly, this also spreads my ideas thin and it becomes hard to become even close to perfecting any specific genre. I also have a lot to learn about sound design, but I plan to teach myself that just like everything else...eventually ^__^'

------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
ZebFrinar
ZebFrinar
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to What Do You use? May. 24th, 2013 @ 12:11 AM Reply

I use Native Instruments Maschine with Spectronics Omnisphere and NI Massive.

I love NI, really solid products and they just keep getting better honestly