New Topic Respond to this Topic
SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-19 17:03:20 Reply

You know how they say that, when mastering a track, you should go to the loudest part and use it as your point of mastering. Well, I make it sound decent at that part, but when I go to other sections of the song (especially the quieter parts) the mastering sounds... well, muddy and bad.

I was wondering how the hell this problem can be tackled... like should I used an automation clip for compression/EQ/Harmonizer etc. to adjust it for different parts of the song? Is this a sign of bad mixing?

TastyTeo
TastyTeo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-19 17:16:30 Reply

At 5/19/13 05:03 PM, SoulofT wrote: You know how they say that, when mastering a track, you should go to the loudest part and use it as your point of mastering. Well, I make it sound decent at that part, but when I go to other sections of the song (especially the quieter parts) the mastering sounds... well, muddy and bad.

I was wondering how the hell this problem can be tackled... like should I used an automation clip for compression/EQ/Harmonizer etc. to adjust it for different parts of the song? Is this a sign of bad mixing?

Wish i could help, i think i suck at mastering :/ Apart from that i think automation clips is a bad idea when it comes to mastering, try emphasizing the quieter parts and impoverish all the strong parts of the song to strengthen the quiet parts more. If that's not a bad idea either, anyway I would definitely ask more people to support you further here apart from me who know more than that.

Technoplasmatic
My YouTube

SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-19 17:22:58 Reply

Wish i could help, i think i suck at mastering :/ Apart from that i think automation clips is a bad idea when it comes to mastering, try emphasizing the quieter parts and impoverish all the strong parts of the song to strengthen the quiet parts more. If that's not a bad idea either, anyway I would definitely ask more people to support you further here apart from me who know more than that.

Therefore its probably a mixing problem, in that my "quiet" parts are not full enough

TastyTeo
TastyTeo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-19 17:25:50 Reply

At 5/19/13 05:22 PM, SoulofT wrote: Therefore its probably a mixing problem, in that my "quiet" parts are not full enough

Could you define "full" more please?

Technoplasmatic
My YouTube

SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-19 17:31:07 Reply

At 5/19/13 05:25 PM, TastyTeo wrote:
At 5/19/13 05:22 PM, SoulofT wrote: Therefore its probably a mixing problem, in that my "quiet" parts are not full enough
Could you define "full" more please?

Well, in the loudest part of the song, there's usually a pad, bass kick, clap, meaning all the frequency ranges being used. In the quiter part I've only got like a piano or something, so a specific frequency (not a "full" frequency :p)

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-19 17:52:21 Reply

Show me the song and I'll see if I can give you a hand. I've got experience mixing tons of music, even commercially, and some mastering (less of that, but still enough to give you a hand).
Doesn't have to be on here, could be via PM if you like. :)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-19 18:06:55 Reply

At 5/19/13 05:52 PM, MetalRenard wrote: Show me the song and I'll see if I can give you a hand. I've got experience mixing tons of music, even commercially, and some mastering (less of that, but still enough to give you a hand).
Doesn't have to be on here, could be via PM if you like. :)

Thanks, I'd like to give you the mastered flp and I use Ozone for the mastering so you can see the problem? But maybe you don't use FL studio/this plugin..

Sydonai
Sydonai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-20 09:52:46 Reply

when mastering a track, you should go to the loudest part and use it as your point of mastering.

I'm not an expert, but I don't think this is the best approach to do it.
From what I knew, and the second poster said that too, you should try lowering the volume on the highest part and raising it on the lowest part, making everything balanced.

That's my point of view, see ya

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-20 11:37:45 Reply

At 5/20/13 09:52 AM, Sydonai wrote: From what I knew, and the second poster said that too, you should try lowering the volume on the highest part and raising it on the lowest part, making everything balanced.

... No... Well... It depends. Do that if you want to kill all the variation and breathing room in the song, sure. But people need to wake up to the beauty of silence and the majesty of "less is more".

As for the original poster's reply to me, I use Ozone 5, yes. I do not use FL Studio. But that doesn't matter, you can send me the "before" and "after", then I can send you back what I would have done as a comparison.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-20 12:06:17 Reply

At 5/19/13 05:03 PM, SoulofT wrote: You know how they say that, when mastering a track, you should go to the loudest part and use it as your point of mastering.

i dunno if i've ever heard this. i might have, but i still prefer a more holistic approach.

yes this is definitely what you should do imo, it could just as well be a sign of having a dynamic and varied mix.

p.s. i am gay

SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-20 13:53:09 Reply

As for the original poster's reply to me, I use Ozone 5, yes. I do not use FL Studio. But that doesn't matter, you can send me the "before" and "after", then I can send you back what I would have done as a comparison.

Alright thanks, I sent you a PM!

SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mastering good in some parts? 2013-05-20 13:54:36 Reply

yes this is definitely what you should do imo, it could just as well be a sign of having a dynamic and varied mix.

Thanks for the advice :-)