Rational-Delirium
Rational-Delirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Melancholy
Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 17th, 2013 @ 04:04 PM Reply

Hi, I was wondering if newgrounds audio can give you a virus when you download it. I know that mp3 files can't contain viruses, but the metadata can launch them, and it seems that newgrounds automatically changes the metadata so that might be impossible.

You can't know what you don't know if you can only use yourself as a reference point.

Sydonai
Sydonai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Audiophile
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 17th, 2013 @ 04:15 PM Reply

At 5/17/13 04:04 PM, Rational-Delirium wrote: so that might be impossible.

Then why asking?
I highly doubt.

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 17th, 2013 @ 04:31 PM Reply

I think this thread just gave me brain cancer...

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 17th, 2013 @ 04:37 PM Reply

Yes, Newgrounds deletes whatever metadata was on the file you uploaded and replaces it with its own.

Buoy
Buoy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Musician
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 17th, 2013 @ 04:39 PM Reply

At 5/17/13 04:37 PM, Buoy wrote: Yes, Newgrounds deletes whatever metadata was on the file you uploaded and replaces it with its own.

Whoops nevermind this, that was before the last redesign. Newgrounds does currently NOT do that but rather leaves the original metadata intact. I've never heard of metadata launching viruses though, there might be a link to something malicious but that should be fine as long as one isn't fucking stupid

Rational-Delirium
Rational-Delirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Melancholy
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 17th, 2013 @ 06:17 PM Reply

At 5/17/13 04:39 PM, Buoy wrote:
At 5/17/13 04:37 PM, Buoy wrote: Yes, Newgrounds deletes whatever metadata was on the file you uploaded and replaces it with its own.
Whoops nevermind this, that was before the last redesign. Newgrounds does currently NOT do that but rather leaves the original metadata intact. I've never heard of metadata launching viruses though, there might be a link to something malicious but that should be fine as long as one isn't fucking stupid

So, basically it is possible, but doesn't happen enough. How would you avoid an mp3 opening a new URL?

You can't know what you don't know if you can only use yourself as a reference point.

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 17th, 2013 @ 07:23 PM Reply

if someone managed to hide a virus in an actual mp3 file (never heard of this) and tried uploading it to ng it'd hopefully get caught by the checksum at the end of the upload process and return some error
if someone tried to upload an executable with .mp3 as the file extension (e.g. "TOTALLY HIP TRACK.mp3"), then the upload would definitely fail. hopefully. :v

p.s. i am gay

Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 18th, 2013 @ 05:38 AM Reply

At 5/17/13 07:23 PM, midimachine wrote: if someone managed to hide a virus in an actual mp3 file (never heard of this) and tried uploading it to ng it'd hopefully get caught by the checksum at the end of the upload process and return some error
if someone tried to upload an executable with .mp3 as the file extension (e.g. "TOTALLY HIP TRACK.mp3"), then the upload would definitely fail. hopefully. :v

Well since from what I've seen the server doesn't "execute" the track per-se, it seems to just stream it seamlessly.

So chances of an infection, or mass infection are very low unless if they do some fancy Cinavia crap and have the soundwaves write a virus as you listen to it?

Highly doubt that's even remotely possible, but the idea makes me chuckle.

No need to be paranoid, besides as you said the checksum would probably be all "oh i'm just an innocent vir- AUDIO TRACK"

And then Newgrounds would be all "MMM MMM AIN'T NOBODY GOT TIME FOR THAT"

Plus, Tom is probably smart enough to have a security suite on the server to prevent such heinousness.

Just my two cents.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 18th, 2013 @ 05:47 AM Reply

The only possible way for this to happen would be exploiting a buffer overflow in the program's metadata parsing function, and consequently would require a buffer overflow to be found in whatever media player you use, or in windows explorer (or the equivalent on mac/linux).

This is super duper highly unlikely, but there is a documented case of certain metadata attached to .wav files that will lock up windows explorer.

Seeing as you probably already belong to a botnet, have a crapton of tracking cookies, a significant amount of spyware, and a bunch of entirely legal programs that spy on you just because they can, this should be the least of your worries.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 18th, 2013 @ 05:59 AM Reply

At 5/18/13 05:38 AM, Chemich wrote: Plus, Tom is probably smart enough to have a security suite on the server to prevent such heinousness.

If this is reality then I would be rich...

The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors. — Paulo Freire

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 18th, 2013 @ 12:25 PM Reply

I hide a little bit of HIV in all of my music. Listening to anything I write will give you full blown hearing aids.

Sorry... I'm done contributing.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 18th, 2013 @ 01:34 PM Reply

The answer is no.

Not maybe if this or that....mp3s cant do shit.

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 18th, 2013 @ 03:56 PM Reply

At 5/18/13 12:25 PM, Quarl wrote: I hide a little bit of HIV in all of my music. Listening to anything I write will give you full blown hearing aids.

That's why I only listen to your music with a condom on.

BBS Signature
LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 19th, 2013 @ 11:41 AM Reply

At 5/18/13 03:56 PM, SourJovis wrote:
At 5/18/13 12:25 PM, Quarl wrote: I hide a little bit of HIV in all of my music. Listening to anything I write will give you full blown hearing aids.
That's why I only listen to your music with a condom on.

I put them over my earbuds.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
Psilenth
Psilenth
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Musician
Response to Can newgrounds audio give you virus May. 31st, 2013 @ 02:04 AM Reply

A trojan can be attached to any type of file but it is usually pdf's that have virus's ...... Better Wear A rubber.