New Topic Respond to this Topic
alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 13th, 2013 @ 08:31 PM Reply

Ok thanks, you two. I guess I know what I will do now.

------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
PERVOK
PERVOK
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Terrible clients May. 13th, 2013 @ 10:35 PM Reply

The first few I got were complete bullshit; offering high pay and then never responding. I just got used to not taking paid song requests seriously (this was in like 2006-2007 though). But as for working with NG artists, I've only worked with a couple and they were actually really easy to work with; and I wish I would have taken some of those projects more seriously. The other NG projects I'm a part of people just use my music and it's rare if I hear about them :/ Recently though I'm trying to make a track for these university students film preview, and they're being good about it; replying kind-of often and giving me accurate examples of what they want. I guess I haven't really had to deal with the shit yet :p

NikeTheSword
NikeTheSword
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 14th, 2013 @ 03:13 AM Reply

One-night stands. They never call you back.

If you catch my drift...

It's understandable that they can't afford to respond to everyone when looking for composer. But once they ask you for 30-1min promo and go all quiet... *frustration*

Couldn't they just tell me "No, this is not what we're looking for" or something to state that I'm no longer considered as an option. It's a horrible job managing your calendar with 5+ hanging possibilities that might suddenly fill it up for weeks :3

: What? No I won't level up, I like my watergun.

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 14th, 2013 @ 03:56 AM Reply

Clients who send me audio to be mixed already clipping

Clipping

Terrible clients

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 14th, 2013 @ 06:13 AM Reply

Aaaand I didn't get the demo for the new project either like I was supposed to...

BBS Signature
ZStriefel
ZStriefel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Audiophile
Response to Terrible clients May. 14th, 2013 @ 10:49 PM Reply

I've had my fair share of horrible clients, but what I really get a kick out of is inquiry emails.

"I need 40 3-4min loops for my rpg. My budget is $100.00 but I can pay a little more"

I think we get at least 1-2 of these a month..

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 14th, 2013 @ 10:53 PM Reply

At 5/14/13 10:49 PM, ZStriefel wrote: I've had my fair share of horrible clients, but what I really get a kick out of is inquiry emails.

"I need 40 3-4min loops for my rpg. My budget is $100.00 but I can pay a little more"

I think we get at least 1-2 of these a month..

Hey... I need a full epic orchestral OST for my game that's coming out in 3 days, I'll give you $20 for your time.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 03:28 AM Reply

At 5/14/13 10:53 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Hey... I need a full epic orchestral OST for my game that's coming out in 3 days, I'll give you $20 for your time.

No problem. I can get five hours music done in 2 days. If you need more just let me know. Pay me afterwards if you think it's good enough. Or steal it like most people do.

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 04:14 AM Reply

At 5/15/13 03:28 AM, SourJovis wrote:
At 5/14/13 10:53 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Hey... I need a full epic orchestral OST for my game that's coming out in 3 days, I'll give you $20 for your time.

On top of that I'll send you a free, complimentary cake!
(The part you don't tell them is that there's a bomb in it.)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 07:19 AM Reply

At 5/14/13 10:53 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote:
Hey... I need a full epic orchestral OST for my game that's coming out in 3 days, I'll give you $20 for your time.

Since when do you make games? O_O I've got to see this

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 07:26 AM Reply

At 5/15/13 07:19 AM, RealFaction wrote:
Since when do you make games? O_O I've got to see this

or wait...are you just mocking the idiot clients? lol

SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 08:31 AM Reply

At 5/15/13 07:26 AM, RealFaction wrote:
Since when do you make games? O_O I've got to see this. Or wait...are you just mocking the idiot clients? lol

Oh snap. There go my $20

BBS Signature
poom3619
poom3619
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Audiophile
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 12:40 PM Reply

I thinking about freelancing as musician. So, I guess I need few lawyer over the world then. At least he could blow up client's house if they refuse to compensate for my time.

Is there any advice which at least filter out some undesirable client?

Working toward Trance Music that can more or less cure Depression. But stucked. :(
Advice needed via PM.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 01:00 PM Reply

At 5/15/13 12:40 PM, poom3619 wrote: I thinking about freelancing as musician. So, I guess I need few lawyer over the world then. At least he could blow up client's house if they refuse to compensate for my time.

Is there any advice which at least filter out some undesirable client?

Well to be perfectly fair (I am a law student, en route to hopefully becoming a qualified solicitor) -- the lawyer's job has NOTHING got to do with blowing up the client's house. You're not there to FORCE them to pay for your music unless they made a promise and you have evidence of that promise.

I think the first thing to do, and this applies to everyone: learn the basics of how a contract works, or a set of promises works. Once you know what's legally binding, you're on your way.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: Coming soon!

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 03:48 PM Reply

At 5/15/13 01:00 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
Well to be perfectly fair (I am a law student, en route to hopefully becoming a qualified solicitor) -- the lawyer's job has NOTHING got to do with blowing up the client's house.

So you didn't get to that course yet? Believe me, it'll be fun. More so that the courses "Forging Confession of Guilt" and almost as much as "Laundering Bribe Money" and "Selling Confidential Information".

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 04:24 PM Reply

At 5/15/13 03:48 PM, SourJovis wrote:
At 5/15/13 01:00 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
Well to be perfectly fair (I am a law student, en route to hopefully becoming a qualified solicitor) -- the lawyer's job has NOTHING got to do with blowing up the client's house.
So you didn't get to that course yet? Believe me, it'll be fun. More so that the courses "Forging Confession of Guilt" and almost as much as "Laundering Bribe Money" and "Selling Confidential Information".

All three of which are heavily punishable in the UK with long jail terms, stripping off the roll of solicitors and the closing down of one's practice -- and the court exercises this punishment a lot.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
SkyeWint
SkyeWint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 04:48 PM Reply

At 5/15/13 04:24 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: All three of which are heavily punishable in the UK with long jail terms, stripping off the roll of solicitors and the closing down of one's practice -- and the court exercises this punishment a lot.

Well, I'm pretty sure it'll be more fun than the class "Losing Your Sense of Humor".

Y'know we're just ribbing ya, right?

Stuff.

My AIM piece is found if you clicky the image.

BBS Signature
Fleshbag
Fleshbag
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 04:50 PM Reply

I created four exclusive tracks already for a game developer who has decided to drop the project without a single word to me. No development has been made on the game since, and it seemed like a pretty damn good one, too.

Maybe he died.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 05:22 PM Reply

At 5/15/13 04:48 PM, SkyeWintrest wrote:
At 5/15/13 04:24 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: SRA punishments for errant solicitors
Well, I'm pretty sure it'll be more fun than the class "Losing Your Sense of Humor".

Y'know we're just ribbing ya, right?

Yes, I know : )

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
SourJovis
SourJovis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 05:24 PM Reply

At 5/15/13 04:24 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: All three of which are heavily punishable in the UK with long jail terms, stripping off the roll of solicitors and the closing down of one's practice -- and the court exercises this punishment a lot.

If anyone whines it's against the law, just quote Judge Dredd: "I AM THE LAW!!!". They can't object to that.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 05:57 PM Reply

At 5/15/13 05:24 PM, SourJovis wrote:
If anyone whines it's against the law, just quote Judge Dredd: "I AM THE LAW!!!". They can't object to that.

Well to rib deep enough like a law student, they'd probably call me clinically insane. :P

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Chemich
Chemich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 15th, 2013 @ 08:16 PM Reply

I don't work with people I don't know personally, if it i's a friend and I know he/she's not a douchebag I'll consider it.

Otherwise I don't bother, my talents are for my own selfish intentions.

☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

BBS Signature
MrRien
MrRien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Terrible clients May. 16th, 2013 @ 07:31 PM Reply

At 5/13/13 11:28 AM, Step wrote:
At 5/13/13 11:27 AM, MetalRenard wrote: everyone asks for the same damn music! Haha
WAIT WAIT let me guess. Epic orchestral or epic metal intro music. Right?

HAHAHAHA that's EXACTLY that!!! "I want epic orchestral stuff for my epic rpg speaking about some lonely emo guy in a lonely emo world but still he's accompanied by some anime boobs with legs and retarded smile who heals people."

Well.....as long as I'm not requested to do some fucking K-Pop I guess I'll survive :P

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 16th, 2013 @ 07:53 PM Reply

At 5/16/13 07:31 PM, MrRien wrote:
At 5/13/13 11:27 AM, MetalRenard wrote: everyone asks for the same damn music! Haha
HAHAHAHA that's EXACTLY that!!! "I want epic orchestral stuff for my epic rpg speaking about some lonely emo guy in a lonely emo world but still he's accompanied by some anime boobs with legs and retarded smile who heals people."

Well.....as long as I'm not requested to do some fucking K-Pop I guess I'll survive :P

Oh come on..... you can't go wrong with a little bit of SNSD or 2NE1. >_> I would jump at the opportunity of K-Pop or J-Pop to be perfectly honest, considering they've got really good chord progressions AND good vocal harmonies AND these songs are the mainstream over in that region.

But the worst kind, I'd say, is the lot of people who say they want music for their game but don't even show anything for fear of "spilling the beans", when they know that spilling the beans, either in alpha or beta stage, is important for the musician.

Or perhaps they don't? o.O

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 16th, 2013 @ 08:29 PM Reply

Ah, J-Pop. Did some of that once, never again. -_-
It's just too damn quirky! Haha

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

MrRien
MrRien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Terrible clients May. 16th, 2013 @ 09:15 PM Reply

At 5/16/13 07:53 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:

Oh come on..... you can't go wrong with a little bit of SNSD or 2NE1. >_> I would jump at the opportunity of K-Pop or J-Pop to be perfectly honest, considering they've got really good chord progressions AND good vocal harmonies AND these songs are the mainstream over in that region.

But the worst kind, I'd say, is the lot of people who say they want music for their game but don't even show anything for fear of "spilling the beans", when they know that spilling the beans, either in alpha or beta stage, is important for the musician.

Of course it has good chord progression and such, it's tailor-made to make your little 15 year old asian neighbour to wet her pants watching a bunch of stereotyped womanly looking guys doing gymnastics on stage. Ricky Martin too has efficient chord progression. Does it mean I must throw myself into this soup? Nah.

No offense intended but that's the way I perceive this.

This said, if I ever fall on someone else requesting me to make K-Pop, I'll sure tell him about you then because I always refuse to do such requests (and I guess I always will) ^^.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 16th, 2013 @ 09:39 PM Reply

At 5/16/13 09:15 PM, MrRien wrote:
At 5/16/13 07:53 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:

Of course it has good chord progression and such, it's tailor-made to make your little 15 year old asian neighbour to wet her pants watching a bunch of stereotyped womanly looking guys doing gymnastics on stage. Ricky Martin too has efficient chord progression. Does it mean I must throw myself into this soup? Nah.

No offense intended but that's the way I perceive this.

This said, if I ever fall on someone else requesting me to make K-Pop, I'll sure tell him about you then because I always refuse to do such requests (and I guess I always will) ^^.

Hah, I never pay attention to the guys doing K-Pop, but always the girls, because they're the ones with far more showmanship. People have told me about TVXQ and I used to like them but I much prefer SNSD and 2NE1 (all-girl groups).

Well, if anyone were to ask me, I think they'd best keep in mind that they'd be getting K-Pop with a distinctively Brit flavour! ;-)

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
lasse
lasse
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Terrible clients May. 16th, 2013 @ 09:42 PM Reply

jpop is best pop

BBS Signature
samulis
samulis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Musician
Response to Terrible clients May. 16th, 2013 @ 11:04 PM Reply

Any form of "Pop" and "good chord progression" do not belong together in any sentence ever!

If a client ever asks me to write anything that doesn't use an orchestra, medieval instruments, or on some occasions, some pads and orchestral/medieval instruments, I link them here and say "go fish". XD

Worst thing is people who ask me to do things without even bothering to see what my music is like...

*50 links to various Final Fantasy tracks*
"Hey, can you write music for my game exactly liek this but also pirates of the carribeeyun because i like that movie for free by next week?"

>_<

My Music - Virtual Instruments - Website
Orchestral/Cinematic Composer

BBS Signature
MrRien
MrRien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Terrible clients May. 16th, 2013 @ 11:57 PM Reply

At 5/16/13 11:04 PM, samulis wrote: Any form of "Pop" and "good chord progression" do not belong together in any sentence ever!

If a client ever asks me to write anything that doesn't use an orchestra, medieval instruments, or on some occasions, some pads and orchestral/medieval instruments, I link them here and say "go fish". XD

Worst thing is people who ask me to do things without even bothering to see what my music is like...

*50 links to various Final Fantasy tracks*
"Hey, can you write music for my game exactly liek this but also pirates of the carribeeyun because i like that movie for free by next week?"

>_<

Here, that's the way I felt when someone popped up requesting me to do K-Pop! Like, my first songs on the playlist are influenced by stuff like My Dying Bride what was he expecting seriously lol.