• Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-17 21:13:51 Reply

Got permission for this one

• Nice to meet you!
    Nice to meet you! by keepwalking

Another one of my crazy crazy titan concepts. Not a verry regular encounter I must admit, I would love to know what would hap...

Score
    4.667546174 / 5.00
    Type
    Illustration
    Popularity
    Rated
    Everyone

Awesome idea for a contest, I'm super excited to get started.

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--
Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-17 23:53:51 Reply

I would love to see somebody do a musical depiction of this.

Deshiel
Deshiel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-18 07:52:39 Reply

So I started to work on my stuff. Hint... it's going to be electronic with classical elements again. LOL
I also decided not to rush things and I'll be returning to the project periodicaly during the upcoming weeks.
That should UP the quality.

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-18 20:14:17 Reply

Are covers allowed? I understand about the fact that our track should be inspired by the art piece, but I know of a track from a game and I might be able to make its melody work very well with the art piece I'm choosing. If it's not allowed, then it's not a problem, I'll just think of a melody myself!

Also, no collaboration means no asking for singers either right?

Just making sure.

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-18 20:52:22 Reply

At 5/18/13 08:14 PM, Step wrote: Are covers allowed?

Also, no collaboration means no asking for singers either right?

Hate to say no, as mentioned like you said, purely inspired by art, purely original, that's the point of the contest :) and alas, no singers either, but you know, I'm considering changing that the next time this contest happens in a few months or so, gonna change a few rules and add a twist or two, I've got plans ;)

Iviqrr
Iviqrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-19 11:09:16 Reply

Hi, i just wanted to know if the NG ratings of our submissions will have any effect on the contest or is it up to the contest holder's opinion. My song got kinda downrated on the same day i posted.

I make music and art, if you want to collab on something hit me up on my skype: Iviqrr

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-19 11:14:16 Reply

At 5/19/13 11:09 AM, Iviqrr wrote: Hi, i just wanted to know if the NG ratings of our submissions will have any effect on the contest or is it up to the contest holder's opinion. My song got kinda downrated on the same day i posted.

As mentioned in the post on the submission thread, no because there are judges. If it was based on rating it would have been said. Trust me though i feel ya, I've had plenty of "zero bombers" on my songs, don't let that get you down, been a thing for years here on NG. People just like to do that so their songs will get attention at the top of the list, it's sad really lol. The songs will be judged by me, Soma689, and HalcyonicFalconX as mentioned, after the deadline.

Seth8001
Seth8001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-19 13:24:46 Reply

Progress Week 1:
Got permission from all 3 artists :D
Finished song 1, only minor changes now! (Rock/electro)
Was awesome in general :P

http://www.youtube.com/user/Seth800 1 <- my youtube.
I also go by the alias LifeHaax.

JosephAS1
JosephAS1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-19 21:14:43 Reply

May I use this samples?

http://www.ymck.net/download/magical8bitplug/index.html

They sound like nintendo, hope they're not "copyrighted"

Plinkydinkydonk

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-20 12:31:49 Reply

At 5/17/13 11:53 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: I would love to see somebody do a musical depiction of this.

John Williams style with jazzy sound?

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-20 13:58:32 Reply

At 5/19/13 09:14 PM, JosephAS1 wrote: May I use this samples?

I cant read anything that says is it a different language or format? my computer doesn't recognize it, so I honestly wouldn't know what yo tell you

Chando
Chando
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-20 14:38:45 Reply

If RealFaction approves of using the original melodies without using any copyrighted samples, I'll take a stab at a Star Wars polka medley.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-20 15:17:43 Reply

At 5/20/13 02:38 PM, Chando wrote: If RealFaction approves of using the original melodies without using any copyrighted samples, I'll take a stab at a Star Wars polka medley.

I don't think we would get in trouble covering star wars, though not exactly an original melody, but it would be inspired by the artwork...well go ahead I guess lol

Chando
Chando
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-20 15:22:04 Reply

At 5/20/13 03:17 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 5/20/13 02:38 PM, Chando wrote: If RealFaction approves of using the original melodies without using any copyrighted samples, I'll take a stab at a Star Wars polka medley.
I don't think we would get in trouble covering star wars, though not exactly an original melody, but it would be inspired by the artwork...well go ahead I guess lol

Ohyus.

A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread

JosephAS1
JosephAS1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-20 18:15:12 Reply

At 5/20/13 01:58 PM, RealFaction wrote:
At 5/19/13 09:14 PM, JosephAS1 wrote: May I use this samples?

I cant read anything that says is it a different language or format? my computer doesn't recognize it, so I honestly wouldn't know what yo tell you

Sorry, Here's the english version of that page http://www.ymck.net/en/download/magical8bitplug/index.html, There's an audio demo below the Features too

Plinkydinkydonk

FrankMunoz
FrankMunoz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-20 19:27:18 Reply

At 5/20/13 06:15 PM, JosephAS1 wrote: Sorry, Here's the english version of that page http://www.ymck.net/en/download/magical8bitplug/index.html, There's an audio demo below the Features too

If you're asking if you can use the preset sounds on the Magical 8Bit VST then I'm pretty sure you can.

Cross666
Cross666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-20 22:00:32 Reply

All the drum and bass, damn 4/4.. forever alone

BBS Signature
RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-21 04:49:13 Reply

At 5/20/13 07:27 PM, FrankMunoz wrote:
At 5/20/13 06:15 PM, JosephAS1 wrote: Sorry, Here's the english version of that page http://www.ymck.net/en/download/magical8bitplug/index.html, There's an audio demo below the Features too
If you're asking if you can use the preset sounds on the Magical 8Bit VST then I'm pretty sure you can.

Yeah

xxxZigZagxxx
xxxZigZagxxx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-22 21:12:08 Reply

Excited for this contest, I've already entered twice! My compositions tend to take quicker to make, but I made a third one for about 6 hours and then I forgot to save, and it went "Not Responding" on me. Pity was that I thought that might have been my best piece yet! Oh well. Thanks all for letting me join you. ;)

BBS Signature
Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-23 07:48:42 Reply

Good idea #571.

Use the artwork you're making music out of as a background for your DAW.

A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread

Review Request Club | CHECK THIS OUT | Formerly Supersteph54 | I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for Audio Portal help.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-23 08:41:41 Reply

At 5/23/13 07:48 AM, Step wrote: Good idea #571.

Use the artwork you're making music out of as a background for your DAW.

Point successfully noted. Once my primary musical tasks are done, I'll do this.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-23 08:42:43 Reply

At 5/20/13 10:00 PM, Cross666 wrote: All the drum and bass, damn 4/4.. forever alone

If it comforts you any, I'm probably going to do another 3/4 piece.... again.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-23 13:35:04 Reply

At 5/20/13 10:00 PM, Cross666 wrote: All the drum and bass, damn 4/4.. forever alone

Shaaaadap. I'm still cat mad at you for stealing my artist ya slobbery slob. Slaaaab.

Also, I'm surprised with how my songs been going. I've been in a dire writers block as of late and this comp was exactly what I needed. Just one thing: I'm using samples from the female sample pack on this website. Seems legit. Kill me if I'm wrong. Regardless I'm still writing my song with them in there. Too perfect.

Also I got permission from Rucklol to do a song of his mudkip ms paint drawing. I'd post an image/ link but that piece of art should be famous by now or something. Seriously, I can't wait to write a song in garageband again.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-23 16:43:55 Reply

At 5/23/13 01:35 PM, Quarl wrote: Just one thing: I'm using samples from the female sample pack on this website. Seems legit. Kill me if I'm wrong. Regardless I'm still writing my song with them in there. Too perfect.

If it's free that should be fine by what I'm seeing here, though I'm wondering if you should credit her anyway, I would.

Also I got permission from Rucklol to do a song of his mudkip ms paint drawing. I'd post an image/ link but that piece of art should be famous by now or something. Seriously, I can't wait to write a song in garageband again.

Nice! And hey, post it anyway man, rules are rules :P you don't have to now but every submission must have the art piece submitted from the newgrounds art portal. Just be sure to check for spaces in the link, lately people have been posting in the submission thread and doesn't end up posted right lol its all good though.

Cross666
Cross666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-23 17:16:19 Reply

At 5/23/13 01:35 PM, Quarl wrote: Also, I'm surprised with how my songs been going. I've been in a dire writers block as of late and this comp was exactly what I needed. Just one thing: I'm using samples from the female sample pack on this website. Seems legit. Kill me if I'm wrong. Regardless I'm still writing my song with them in there. Too perfect.

Yea dude that's legit, at least my understanding was if it's acceptable in the AP than it's acceptable in the contest (correct me if I'm wrong judges)

Royalty-free means by downloading you initialize a private licensing to yourself with free reign to use the samples as you see fit, the one exception to this would be to then re-distribute as a sample pack you made or by using the samples solely and not part of an overall composition (such as a pinging fx sound in a fighting game when your character punches, but if you used the ping as part of the background music IE in a track then that's fine).

I had to do a f*** ton of research before starting Tight Groove Recordings in order to prevent/ re-assure there'd be no legal issues down the road for any of my artists, so when signing contracts they had to agree to the above terms that all material used is either royalty-free of their own making. If they were to infringe copyright laws, their contracts become terminated and all legal backlash is their own baggage.

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-23 18:54:51 Reply

At 5/23/13 05:16 PM, Cross666 wrote: If they were to infringe copyright laws, their contracts become terminated and all legal backlash is their own baggage.

So wait... it's cool if your artists sample copy-written material but if shit hits the fan you get to press the eject button and give the artist the middle finger?

OLOLOLOLOL FUCK YOU ARTIST!! HAVE A NICE DEIGH :D :D :D

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-23 19:11:30 Reply

At 5/23/13 06:54 PM, Quarl wrote:
At 5/23/13 05:16 PM, Cross666 wrote: If they were to infringe copyright laws, their contracts become terminated and all legal backlash is their own baggage.
So wait... it's cool if your artists sample copy-written material but if shit hits the fan you get to press the eject button and give the artist the middle finger?

He's saying if they infringe copyright laws, not if they sample free-to-use samples, you won't get in trouble for those, like fruity loops samples.

anthonyloprimo
anthonyloprimo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-24 03:06:21 Reply

Well damn. Why not? Got permission from EchoCharlieDelta to use http://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/echocharliedelta/assault-
drone
for inspiration :P

Out of curiosity though - are you allowed to post early and get some input before the final submission or is whatever you submit considered the actual entry?

I'm thinking of possibly making a second entry in addition to what I'm doing now.

RealFaction
RealFaction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-24 03:27:29 Reply

At 5/24/13 03:06 AM, anthonyloprimo wrote:
Out of curiosity though - are you allowed to post early and get some input before the final submission or is whatever you submit considered the actual entry?

You have three chances to submit but yeah, whatever you submit is the submission. Just go with your skills so far, it's all good! You could always get input from friends who aren't participating in the competition by using the project system to submit a preview without making it public, and invite beta testers. Keep that in mind everyone :)

Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to A.i.m. Contest Discussion Thread 2013-05-24 18:43:37 Reply

I'ma do a piece for FallenBane...

At 5/20/13 09:53 PM, Cross666 wrote: Fragment by FallenBane

Ok... shit. Well I guess I'll do one for splosh999...

At 5/24/13 03:28 PM, SoundChris wrote:
Inspiration: "Hanging Above" from splosh999:

... table flip.