New Topic Respond to this Topic
goochmaster15
goochmaster15
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Mix/Mastering help for Logic Exp? May. 4th, 2013 @ 11:32 PM Reply

Hi guys, so I've been using Logic Express 9 for a while now because my school provides it to me for free. I was wondering if anyone could help me with mixing and/or mastering, because every time I make a song, it sounds... well, dead. Meaning, it doesn't sound like all of the sounds blend in properly. The prime example I'm going to use is my latest song (I know the title is immature, but it's hard to be original nowadays):

• My dildo is missing :(
    My dildo is missing :( by goochmaster15

I'm really good at making titles

Score
    3.98 / 5.00
    Type
    Song
    Genre
    Classical
    Popularity

As you hear, it just doesn't sound like it's mixed together very well. Can anyone help me? Any and all help is appreciated. Thanks!

JacobCadmus
JacobCadmus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Mix/Mastering help for Logic Exp? May. 5th, 2013 @ 04:16 PM Reply

hey there! I don't use Logic (I think the majority of NG users use FL Studio btw), but what I can tell you is that no matter what program you're using, making a proper mix takes time, study, and a lot of fiddling. seeming that you are going to school for this stuff, I'm sure that you'll be fine. arguably, a really good way to make your tracks sound blended together is to route them to a send or bus track, and apply some compression and reverb to said track. also, keep EQ and your gain levels in mind. from what I'm hearing in your song (great job by the way!), it seems more like a MIDI programming issue, rather than a mix issue. what I'd recommend is to adjust your velocity/dynamics to waver like a human performance. also in the strings, overlap your notes a little bit so that the transitions sound smoother, and less like they're cutting out too soon.

I hope this helps ^_^

jakeghost
jakeghost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mix/Mastering help for Logic Exp? May. 6th, 2013 @ 09:25 AM Reply

At 5/5/13 04:16 PM, JacobCadmus wrote: hey there! I don't use Logic (I think the majority of NG users use FL Studio btw), but what I can tell you is that no matter what program you're using, making a proper mix takes time, study, and a lot of fiddling. seeming that you are going to school for this stuff, I'm sure that you'll be fine. arguably, a really good way to make your tracks sound blended together is to route them to a send or bus track, and apply some compression and reverb to said track. also, keep EQ and your gain levels in mind. from what I'm hearing in your song (great job by the way!), it seems more like a MIDI programming issue, rather than a mix issue. what I'd recommend is to adjust your velocity/dynamics to waver like a human performance. also in the strings, overlap your notes a little bit so that the transitions sound smoother, and less like they're cutting out too soon.

I hope this helps ^_^

EXACTLY what this dude said. Time, study, experimenting, and getting the MIDI programming right. It can be a real pain in the butt, but you'll find the better the source sound/music is, the better the mix is. Really good job, I thought it was a pretty good job already.

Jacob Leaney | Composer | Producer
www.jacobleaney.com
jacob@jacobleaney.com

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Mix/Mastering help for Logic Exp? May. 6th, 2013 @ 11:15 AM Reply

I left a comment on the piece but... Please, if you ask for feedback, don't use names like that. It really puts me off even trying to help out.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

skyood
skyood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mix/Mastering help for Logic Exp? May. 7th, 2013 @ 01:31 PM Reply

The simple answer, based on the example you gave, is reverb. Music, as in live music, as the human ear is used to hearing it is sound waves moving through the air which is affected by the size and shape of the room, what it may or may not be reflecting off of, etc. Even recordings tend to incidentally capture this quality*. Digital music removes this entirely: you're not playing into a microphone or an ear in a room, you're telling a computer what sounds to generate and it's generating them. Which is why however long ago the reverb effect was invented/developed, a way of re-inserting this quality. Learning to use reverb (very doable in Logic, which is what I use) might be your first step.

*Modern professional studio recordings are usually an exception as they tend to try to remove the natural reverb and then add it back in electronically/mechanically later, one of many many ways studio recording is all about controlling every little detail of every little sound.

PS- I agree with Metal, the chances of me reviewing this song under normal circumstances would be zero due to the name you gave it. Cheers!

BBS Signature
skyood
skyood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mix/Mastering help for Logic Exp? May. 7th, 2013 @ 01:39 PM Reply

I downloaded the track, added reverb (I also use Logic), and re-uploaded a preview you're invited to so that you can get an idea of the difference.

BBS Signature