DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 12:57 AM Reply

First of all, no pun intended.

Seriously, I am going to be going to college come this fall, and I am afraid college life/education is going to stray me away from making music. Anyone with experience have anything to say about this? Will it be possible to find a balance?

Also since I will be staying in a dorm I doubt my studio monitors will be coming with me. Headphones will be all. I am excited for college but not for this almost-ultimatum. Help!

Sequenced
Sequenced
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Gamer
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 01:30 AM Reply

I brought my monitors with me. They only downside is that everything is so packed up in a small room lol.

But yeah. You'll find balance. I still get the same amount of productivity done back in high school, in fact, even more. You generally have a lot more free time in college, though.

You just got to learn how to use it wisely.

lel

frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 01:55 AM Reply

You'll be fine dude. I stopped posting for a while onto NG my first few semesters at college, but I was still writing the entire time.

When you have time, open your DAW and crank out some tunes. If you don't have time, hum some melodies on the way to class, if you can't hum, print out a few pages of blank sheet music so you can work on ideas in/before/after class.

Usually I will wake up, mess around in FL for an hour or two, get homework/study done, then jump back into writing or playing. The most credits I've taken (so far) is 15 credits in one semester, and during that time my productivity didn't slow down or anything.

Always make time for music!

Check it! :) //// Never stop making music. Play MOTORJOUST!!!Check it! :)

Step
Step
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 04:12 AM Reply

Well I don't know about you but if I were to go to college and I'd spend all my time in there without making music, I'd probably go insane.

Review Request Club | PLEASE GIVE ME FEEDBACK ON THIS I BEG YOU | Formerly Supersteph54
I'm an Audio Moderator. PM me for any Audio Portal-related help.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 04:52 AM Reply

To put things into perspective for you, let me tell you what I know about mixing music with college.

I'm currently doing the Legal Practice Course (i.e. the Law Society examinations). That's the course which you need to become a solicitor here in England and Wales. It's modular, in that the subjects go one after the other and you have final exam upon final exam, they just don't seem to end.

Contrast that with an undergraduate degree, where you generally have set periods for coursework and exams each academic year.

Now look at my upload history. I still was able to make music; I persisted. As far as grades go, I did very well in my LLB (Bachelor of Laws). As for the Legal Practice Course: with the exception of one subject, early in the academic year, I did well in the rest of them.

tl;dr: The question is, will you let college/university tide you away, or will you persist in making music because you're passionate about it and you don't want to let it go?

AMDG ✝

Blank slate, with no project files from years past to base oneself on.

BBS Signature
DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:36 AM Reply

At 5/3/13 04:52 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: To put things into perspective for you, let me tell you what I know about mixing music with college.

I'm currently doing the Legal Practice Course (i.e. the Law Society examinations). That's the course which you need to become a solicitor here in England and Wales. It's modular, in that the subjects go one after the other and you have final exam upon final exam, they just don't seem to end.

Contrast that with an undergraduate degree, where you generally have set periods for coursework and exams each academic year.

Now look at my upload history. I still was able to make music; I persisted. As far as grades go, I did very well in my LLB (Bachelor of Laws). As for the Legal Practice Course: with the exception of one subject, early in the academic year, I did well in the rest of them.

tl;dr: The question is, will you let college/university tide you away, or will you persist in making music because you're passionate about it and you don't want to let it go?

The thing is, I still want to maintain a social life. Although I want to keep making music I don't want it to be the hobby I do in my spare time in front of social activity. Also since I am going to study engineering, I won't have as much free time as others might have because of the work load. Thanks for the responses!

SoulofT
SoulofT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 09:54 AM Reply

It's difficult trying to find the balance dude, the hard truth is that if you go to college you will have less time to make music.

But that doesn't mean that you won't be able to make music at all, and besides, first years of college are usually quite light (I don't know about engineering though), so you'll be able to find time. But that means that you'll have to cut back on social activities and mb sports if you play any.

Good luck =p

HalcyonicFalconX
HalcyonicFalconX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:01 AM Reply

At 5/3/13 09:36 AM, DJM4C wrote: Also since I am going to study engineering, I won't have as much free time as others might have because of the work load.

I was in Bioengineering. I managed, although I won't say it's easy. Something's got to give, in my case it was sleep. xD

but sleep is for the WEAK!!! :P
DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 12:07 PM Reply

I wish I could say that, but without sleep I am basically a zombie :/

I was thinking about bioengineering, but I think electrical is more suitable for me. I will try to minor in any music production course my college has, hopefully to keep me on track with music. We will see.

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 12:48 PM Reply

At 5/3/13 09:36 AM, DJM4C wrote: The thing is, I still want to maintain a social life. Although I want to keep making music I don't want it to be the hobby I do in my spare time in front of social activity. Also since I am going to study engineering, I won't have as much free time as others might have because of the work load. Thanks for the responses!

What is your definition of a social life?
If your social life involves, at least in part, being able to share this gift with others, you can definitely find the balance.

The idea is not to party every single day, but to have socials with those who matter when times matter. : )

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 12:51 PM Reply

At 5/3/13 12:07 PM, DJM4C wrote:
I wish I could say that, but without sleep I am basically a zombie :/

I was thinking about bioengineering, but I think electrical is more suitable for me. I will try to minor in any music production course my college has, hopefully to keep me on track with music. We will see.

Pardon the double post guys.

Might I also mention that two of my friends, both members of Kingdom of Herts, the CCM band we run together (one of them being Merlyne), they study engineering. Aeronautical engineering, might I add. Their workload is just as heavy, if not slightly heavier, than an undergraduate or postgraduate law student. They know how to enjoy themselves, they love and cherish their friends, and we still make music.

Point proven. You can find a balance... the question is, do you want to?

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
ZipZipper
ZipZipper
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 01:07 PM Reply

At 5/3/13 12:51 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: You can find a balance... the question is, do you want to?

AND/ORRR the question is, how much room on your plate do you really want to devote to music? And/Or how much expectation do you have for yourself in terms of the amount of music you'd want to make?

OP, If your goal is to make at least one song, well I'm sure that's quite easy to balance alongside the rest of what you do. If you really want to stay as active a user as others, well...maybe not. Of course, you can always just skip class and waste your life away with musiccc <3 <3

BBS Signature
DJM4C
DJM4C
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 01:39 PM Reply

Point proven. You can find a balance... the question is, do you want to?

Well I wouldn't have posted this if I didn't want to :p. Since engineering has been said to have a lot of work, I was worried about my time with music, that's all. In terms of a social life, I want to meet new people and if that includes partying so be it. I am sure others were pondering or have pondered this subject too, I was just curious :)

alternativesolution
alternativesolution
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 02:15 PM Reply

At 5/3/13 04:12 AM, Step wrote: Well I don't know about you but if I were to go to college and I'd spend all my time in there without making music, I'd probably go insane.

Pretty much....

I ended up taking my headphones with me, oh man the dorms could be so loud. So, I did the whole music, social life, school thing great, except...in your first year things gets pretty new and exciting so I'd watch your grades. But the music shouldn't be stopping you. Depending on how much effort and time it takes from you, well....if you love making music then the questions is basically already answered, right ?

------->>> Post a random word

BBS Signature
AetherX
AetherX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:30 PM Reply

I was in your exact same position a year ago. I'm finishing up my first year of college right now studying electrical engineering. The workload's tough, but I manage to find time for music. I may not be the best example since I actually have no social life, but it would be manageable regardless. Like others have said, it all comes down to balance. Rather than dicking around on the internet, make music. Do your homework. Figure out the minimum amount of sleep you can operate on. You end up with a lot more free time in college than you had in high school.

As for headphones/monitors, there is literally no room on my desk for monitors so I had to leave those at home. Bring them if you can, I guess, but dorms are loud and obnoxious pretty much 24/7 so it's hardly a prime mixing environment anyway. I'd say headphonse are the way to go.

--NG Music -- Soundcloud--
Most Recent Song: Explore Infinity <-Failed audition to NGADM!

PeppersMoD
PeppersMoD
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:38 PM Reply

I'm a university student studying music technology and did it at college level before that as well. Personally, the amount of music that I produce myself has declined significantly since the start of the higher education courses. However, that doesn't come without its own benefits. The assignments I have been doing have involved recording classical ensembles, trying out micing techniques, doing live sound, mixing a variety of pre-recorded songs covering a number of genres (rock,folk,metal,classical), programming applications, etc, etc. So while my own music output has decreased over the last couple of years, at the end of the day I am learning a serious amount of skills that I didn't have before and the way I see it when I finish with education for good I will be able to apply the skills learned to produce better quality works of my own in the future.

The biggest problem though, like most students I leave all my work to the few nights before they are due in and dick about for the rest of the time (playing computer games or just surfing the net all day). If I was more focused on getting the work done early I would have tonnes of free time in which I could use the university's studios to create my own music.

So my advice is that if you REALLY want to stay active making music during college be sure to get your educational priorities out of the way as soon as possible so that the rest of the time can be used booking out facilities at the college and going to work on your own things.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 3rd, 2013 @ 03:42 PM Reply

In higher studies you have 3 aspects - the work, the social life and the personal interests. You have to find a balance of the 3 that fits you best.
In my case I just gave up on a social life and dedicated myself to work and music. I just got my results - I passed with a good grade and I released an album a couple of weeks ago.

Find your balance and you'll be ok.

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out!
Veteran REAPER user.

s-catastrophes
s-catastrophes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 4th, 2013 @ 12:01 PM Reply

Mixing College with Music is totally possible! In my experience anyway, because you can put sometime in between books, good luck with College man greatest years of my life!

PS I might just be biais as I do a Music Technology course haha!

JJM121
JJM121
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 5th, 2013 @ 06:31 PM Reply

Heh, I actually started making music while I was in college. Just finished my course last month too so I have infinitely more time right now than I did when I started making music. (but still have to find a job to keep me busy while becoming better in this)

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 5th, 2013 @ 06:36 PM Reply

I'm currently in my last week of college, graduating soon. It's not hard to mix the two, just remember that college takes precedence over your music. Your parents (or you) aren't paying for you to mix music, unless that's what you're going to school for. There is still plenty of time to make music, but I found myself making music when I should have been studying quite a few times. As long as you can organize your time correctly, it shouldn't even really be a conversation. Also, make sure to reach out to other people in college about music. You may find a vocalist or someone else who's interested in making a collab or something.

The above information is the stuff I'd do if I could re-do college, but unfortunately didn't do.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

skyood
skyood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Mixing Music with College? May. 7th, 2013 @ 12:55 PM Reply

There is a little saying I've heard regarding college: "Good grades, social life, and sleep: pick two." For some people, and for some majors/courses of study, that is more true than others, especially depending on your definition of "social life." Expect a minimum for one hour of homework per hour of class (for some classes the ratio is more like 2 or 3:1) in order to keep up. In the U.S., in high school if you are fairly gifted intellectually you can put in near zero effort outside of school hours and still do well (that's what I did. HS GPA 3.65 or so). In college that is *not* N-O-T true (I learned that the hard way, GPA freshman year 1.2).

All that to say, you will need to prioritize. No one of us can tell you what you will or won't be able to do-- we don't know your abilities, the difficulty of your coursework, etc. Ultimately, however, it doesn't matter as long as you prioritize so that no matter what you do or don't have time for you can look back on your day, week, year, or entire college experience and think, "I may have had to sacrifice X amount of Y, but I can be proud of my accomplishments in Z and Q etc."

Take it from someone who's grad school options are now limited: think ahead to your life*, career path, etc and go into it with a plan of what is important and what isn't so much and stick with it. You'll likely end up changing your mind (especially re: career, if you're the typical college student) and re-evaluating, but after you've re-evaluated stick to whatever your current plan is as best you can.

As long as you don't let it go completely off the rails, you're going to love college. Good luck and have fun!

*note the inclusion of factors other than career path. Grades are important, but they're not everything. :)

BBS Signature