Be a Supporter!
bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Pro Tools 11! May. 1st, 2013 @ 11:21 PM Reply

So, I didn't see anything about this in the forums yet. Pro Tools 11 was released a few weeks ago, and I'm super excited about it (save the upgrade cost -_-). 64-bit architecture (YES!), offline bouncing, and the ability to edit video seem to be the biggest highlights for me. Dynamic plugin processing sounds pretty sweet as well.

Anyone have experience with 11 yet? The good/bad? I think I'm going to wait for others to be the guinea pigs until they release an update.

Oh, and yes, you hate Pro Tools, FL Studio rocks, we know. Trolls stay away, please.

jakeghost
jakeghost
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to Pro Tools 11! May. 1st, 2013 @ 11:36 PM Reply

At 5/1/13 11:21 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: So, I didn't see anything about this in the forums yet. Pro Tools 11 was released a few weeks ago, and I'm super excited about it (save the upgrade cost -_-). 64-bit architecture (YES!), offline bouncing, and the ability to edit video seem to be the biggest highlights for me. Dynamic plugin processing sounds pretty sweet as well.

Anyone have experience with 11 yet? The good/bad? I think I'm going to wait for others to be the guinea pigs until they release an update.

Oh, and yes, you hate Pro Tools, FL Studio rocks, we know. Trolls stay away, please.

FINALLY!!! Haha. I can't even order it yet so maybe it hasn't been released for sale yet?? Should be awesome when it is though...

Aside from that little upgrade cost.

Jacob Leaney | Composer | Producer
www.jacobleaney.com
jacob@jacobleaney.com

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Pro Tools 11! May. 1st, 2013 @ 11:41 PM Reply

At 5/1/13 11:36 PM, jakeghost wrote: FINALLY!!! Haha. I can't even order it yet so maybe it hasn't been released for sale yet?? Should be awesome when it is though...

Aside from that little upgrade cost.

Ah, I lied! By released I must have meant announced... lol. Looks like it will be available to the public sometime here in Q2.

Twune
Twune
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Pro Tools 11! May. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:26 AM Reply

I'm pretty jazzed about the separate input and output buffers. If you're in the HD track, those metering options will be a Godsend as well.

Dynamic Host processing should be a nice addition.

I'm pretty sure that only HD that retains the multi track video. Have been able to do single track of video for a while now.

Seems a pretty solid update, just have to get all of the plug-ins to AAX (though the ability of bringing in AU VIs via VEP will soften this somewhat).

Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Pro Tools 11! May. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:37 AM Reply

The video intergration tools are a small plus, although I'm not sure who would want to run an HD video in an already process heavy and likely ram heavy environment.

In my experience I usually get an already edited video, and the best performance is when running very lowfi versions of it.

The 64 bit engine is nice and all, but its nothing I wouldnt expect (I think just about every major DAW has it now). I'm also a little bit confused by it, are they saying you can only run AAX plugins in 64bit? If so, it sounds like a proprietary thing which I dont really jive with.

I really dont want to feel like they are just playing catch up. I really want to be one of the guys who likes pro tools, but Avid as a company is having a lot of trouble. They had so many layoffs last year I feel like they only had time to just implement performance enhancements to not seem like its falling behind.

As a mixing tool, or an collaborative engine, its still got its potential due to studios stuck on old HD systems because they've dug themselves into a proprietary hole.

I tried with ten, and im trying again now.....but I cant seem to see anything that makes pro tools special or worth the second highest daw pricetag on the market next to ableton 9 sweet....which I also dont think is worth the price anymore.

Its really hard when you sell things like pro tools for a living. They have 10 different choices in front of them ranging from 60-800 dollars and I cant tell them that the 800 dollar one does any more then the 60 dollar one =/

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Pro Tools 11! May. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:57 AM Reply

At 5/2/13 01:37 AM, Breed wrote: The video intergration tools are a small plus, although I'm not sure who would want to run an HD video in an already process heavy and likely ram heavy environment.

In my experience I usually get an already edited video, and the best performance is when running very lowfi versions of it.

The 64 bit engine is nice and all, but its nothing I wouldnt expect (I think just about every major DAW has it now). I'm also a little bit confused by it, are they saying you can only run AAX plugins in 64bit? If so, it sounds like a proprietary thing which I dont really jive with.

I really dont want to feel like they are just playing catch up. I really want to be one of the guys who likes pro tools, but Avid as a company is having a lot of trouble. They had so many layoffs last year I feel like they only had time to just implement performance enhancements to not seem like its falling behind.

As a mixing tool, or an collaborative engine, its still got its potential due to studios stuck on old HD systems because they've dug themselves into a proprietary hole.

I tried with ten, and im trying again now.....but I cant seem to see anything that makes pro tools special or worth the second highest daw pricetag on the market next to ableton 9 sweet....which I also dont think is worth the price anymore.

Its really hard when you sell things like pro tools for a living. They have 10 different choices in front of them ranging from 60-800 dollars and I cant tell them that the 800 dollar one does any more then the 60 dollar one =/

I was lucky enough to grab Pro Tools 8 along with an Mbox Mini 2 for under $200 since they were in the process of phasing out the old Mboxes, else I would have either sucked it up and learned to use Reaper, or pick up Cubase (I learned Pro Tools first with a composer friend of mine). I'm super excited about the 64-bit architecture in 11, but Avid has been dragging on that for a few years now. They definitely seem to be catering to their customers who have purchased the HD systems.

I will say, I'm not too pleased about the AAX plugin business. It pisses me off almost as much as the iLok. If I can't use my EW/QL stuff, there would be no point in picking up this next version. I'll have to keep an eye out for compatibility issues. As far as I know, EW/QL doesn't support AAX yet.

KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Pro Tools 11! May. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:44 AM Reply

Yay, another flashy tool to for 'pros' to show off.

The oppressed, instead of striving for liberation, tend themselves to become oppressors. — Paulo Freire

s-catastrophes
s-catastrophes
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Audiophile
Response to Pro Tools 11! May. 2nd, 2013 @ 10:50 AM Reply

I haven't upgraded since I upgraded from 7-8 the price is just so pricey for the Students!

SineRider
SineRider
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Pro Tools 11! May. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 5/2/13 03:44 AM, Elitistinen wrote: Yay, another flashy tool to for 'pros' to show off.

hahaha that was quick

Twune
Twune
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Pro Tools 11! May. 4th, 2013 @ 12:56 AM Reply

well, TBH, Pro Tools has mostly catered to the higher end crowd throughout. It was in 2000 (or around there, I'm going by memory here) that they started playing with Pro Tools Free and then a year or so later released the 001 with LE installed.

It wasn't until PT9 that they even allowed a non Digidesign interface.

Stock performance aside (but that is worrying) I kind of like the direction that Avid is taking. Focus a little more on the professional, but still manufacture decently affordable tools for the semi-pros. If you make any money at all from your music, you should be able to afford at least an entry level system. The pro-sumer DAW market is flooded, I'm kind of glad they seem to be bothering less with it.

As to AAX being proprietary, well, yes, but so was RTAS and TDM. They just had to update the code to run gracefully on 64 bit. If you're crazy about an AU or VST VI (but want PT), just buy VEP or Bidule.. they will bring them into PT sessions flawlessly.

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Pro Tools 11! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 01:31 PM Reply

Now that Pro Tools 11 has been out for a few weeks, anyone have any experiences with it yet? I'm still debating whether it's worth the upgrade or not!

frootza
frootza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 25
Musician
Response to Pro Tools 11! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 02:04 PM Reply

The 64 bit performance is what is the real selling point. The "Avid Audio" engine seems promising.

I'm somewhat familiar with 10, but I haven't had a good sit down with 11 yet. Here's the thing though, if you are going to be recording long sets or if you work with local artists/bands, its just gonna be good overall to have some of these new tools at your arsenal.

What I really like is that you can Automate while recording. Seems like it would be a good investment!

Check it! :) //// Never stop making music. Play MOTORJOUST!!!Check it! :)

DarkantheHero
DarkantheHero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Pro Tools 11! Jul. 9th, 2013 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 5/1/13 11:21 PM, bassfiddlejones wrote: So, I didn't see anything about this in the forums yet. Pro Tools 11 was released a few weeks ago, and I'm super excited about it (save the upgrade cost -_-). 64-bit architecture (YES!), offline bouncing, and the ability to edit video seem to be the biggest highlights for me. Dynamic plugin processing sounds pretty sweet as well.

I'm downloading it right now, got the free student upgrade. I'm all about the 64 bit, now I won't have to sequence in Sonar and mix in pro tools... It can all be done in pro tools now!

Some people say they're having problems getting their plugins to work though, so that sucks.

www.Soundcloud.com/Heinbokel
www.HeinbokelMusic.com
Multi-Media composer located in Burbank,CA

bassfiddlejones
bassfiddlejones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Pro Tools 11! Oct. 28th, 2013 @ 12:50 AM Reply

Thought I'd bump this instead of making a new thread - since 11 has been out for awhile has anyone had hands on experience yet? Pros/cons? I'm still thinking about the upgrade, very curious as to whether it's worth it.

Blackhole12
Blackhole12
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Game Developer
Response to Pro Tools 11! Oct. 28th, 2013 @ 01:38 AM Reply

<insert unhelpful jab at how dumb pro tools is and how much better some other DAW is>