New Topic Respond to this Topic
DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-26 00:19:51 Reply

Hey. Lately I've noticed that I've been putting distortion on EVERYTHING. I have distortion on my leads, my basslines, my kicks. Hell, I've even got distortion on some of my hi-hats.

So I'm just wondering, how many of you use distortion, and how much do you use? Is distortion bad for the mix? How much is too much?

New drum and bass song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
Twune
Twune
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-26 00:46:23 Reply

Either it's the edge, the grime or the simple act of trying to add harmonics that you are seeking. Personally, if I'm going for a more 'analog' sounding track, I'll add quite a bit of carefully crafted distortions to almost everything. If i want 'edge' I'll select only a couple of tracks and obliterate them (with decently drastic HP filtering).

How much is too much? That's your call. Personally, I'd say stuff like "Of the Blue Colour of the Sky" by OKGO is waaay too much. That sounds like distortion layered on top of distortion on every stage of the project. IMO you can screw up good tunes by trying to be clever with it.

I guess it's a taste thing. Go with your gut.

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-26 02:17:57 Reply

That's pretty much what I've been doing - mild distortion. The thing I really want is to make weak sounds (like the ones you make in 3xOsc before adding any effects) sound grittier with more depth. So far distortion is doing the trick for me, and perhaps a little bit of light bitcrushing.

Perhaps there is a better way of achieving said sound, in which case let me know, I'd love to hear.

New drum and bass song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-26 05:14:28 Reply

At 4/26/13 12:19 AM, DjAbbic wrote: So I'm just wondering, how many of you use distortion, and how much do you use? Is distortion bad for the mix? How much is too much?

I literally use pure distortion for leads (modulate to form 'harmony')

derived from pads
made by one shots
I mean minimal perc

So yes, distortion. It fucking rules. But I probably use way too much and I wouldn't say it makes my music better, it just makes it sound as if it came out of a refinery. (which I personally like, industrial / glitch is my favorite)

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-26 05:16:48 Reply

At 4/26/13 02:17 AM, DjAbbic wrote: That's pretty much what I've been doing - mild distortion. The thing I really want is to make weak sounds (like the ones you make in 3xOsc before adding any effects) sound grittier with more depth. So far distortion is doing the trick for me, and perhaps a little bit of light bitcrushing.

Perhaps there is a better way of achieving said sound, in which case let me know, I'd love to hear.

just that but fucking around with chorus and/or REALLY wet reverb (doesn't have to be long though) gives you more options to work the sound with

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-26 06:05:42 Reply

At 4/26/13 05:16 AM, la-yinn wrote:
just that but fucking around with chorus and/or REALLY wet reverb (doesn't have to be long though) gives you more options to work the sound with

Cool, I'll play around with that.

New drum and bass song

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-26 20:33:37 Reply

When I'm feeling particularly masochistic I slap a distortion unit on the master out. Just to see what happens.

Honestly, distortion is just one of several effects. Your arsenal of effects can seem really limited after a while. My problem with distortion is that sometimes I forget I can put it on things other than synths. Experiment. Put some distortion on a piano or a drum kit. Play with the overall amount of distortion/ wetness/ resolution. I honestly think I could experiment with using more distortion...

Please let me know if I shouldn't. I kind of want to try putting a distortion unit on a distortion unit. I've never tried chaining my effects like that actually...

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

la-yinn
la-yinn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Musician
Response to Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-27 11:59:42 Reply

At 4/26/13 08:33 PM, Quarl wrote:
Please let me know if I shouldn't. I kind of want to try putting a distortion unit on a distortion unit. I've never tried chaining my effects like that actually...

It will conjure a sound that is the equivalent of a hedgehog making love to your face

Latest tracks:
Sub Marines
Chemosound

Lich
Lich
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 01
Musician
Response to Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-27 13:16:21 Reply

I use Distortion mainly on my Vocal work for The Electro-Industrial work but I do use a little on Super/HyperSaw leads and pads occasionally and Guitar work when I am doing Metal.

For the Vocals, they are recorded in Adobe Audition and the first Distortion unit is the One Bubdled in with Audition. It's surprisingly decent and gives a slightly 'harsher edge' to it. What really beefs it all up and completly changes the vocals is Ohmforce's Ohmicide. That thing is an absolute monster which will kill and mutate from the grave a new sound altogether thanks to the distortion options it gives you. Very very good for making vocal-work sound like some apocalyptic cybermonster.

Great result with the Two distortion plug-ins when you EQ it, add a hint of Delay and an Exciter.

| Music | News | Favorites | - Audio Destruction, Evolving One Track At A Time!

BBS Signature
TheDaemonicPoet
TheDaemonicPoet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-27 13:35:17 Reply

I'm having a problem with distortion. I like the type of distortion that makes my guitar sound heavy, since I mostly play metal, but at the same time makes my notes/riffs/phrases sound "clean" and perceptible, even melodic, I've got myself a v-amp from behringer, not a great piece since my budget is not that great aswell, (actually I'm still paying for it) however I managed to get something close to the type of sound I pretend, and it's all good when I'm playing by myself or practicing with my band, but when it comes to recording it's kind of hard to get that bright sound you know? The only solution I found with my drummer was to record the rhythm guitar with the crunch from a Marshall amp he has, and use the sound I really like from my v-amp just for the leads and the solos, and it is not that bad, but I don't feel that blast I'm looking for. What can I do?

Liberals defend the exploitation of man by man, Conservatives defend the reverse.

BBS Signature
Quarl
Quarl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-27 19:32:18 Reply

At 4/27/13 11:59 AM, la-yinn wrote:
It will conjure a sound that is the equivalent of a hedgehog making love to your face

Hot DAMN. I've always wanted to make love to an animal.

Giants are too tall. We'll have to stand on top of each others shoulders to survive.

DeadRewind
DeadRewind
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Musician
Response to Distortion everywhere! 2013-04-28 16:47:11 Reply

Distortion is so fun. In a lot of my songs I use a lot of growly/grimey synths for my bass!
I usually design the sound through Sylenth, Massive etc. then EQ the absolute shit out of it. Then I add an Ohmicide (probably the best distortion Vst is the history of distortion IMO) You can get some nice distortion from this point by detuning, chorus, or simply adding more voices. Sausage fattener is another good distortion effect and it's super simple..There's literally 2 knobs. d:

But what I do to get a unique sound is assign a bunch of parameters from Massive, The EQ, Ohmicide and then modulate it. And with this method you can get those signature growls that a lot of electronic artists whip up like Feed Me, SkiSm and whatnot.. :D