Be a Supporter!

New Album: Conversation by Purple..

  • 635 Views
  • 27 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
New Album: Conversation by Purple.. Apr. 24th, 2013 @ 06:18 PM Reply

So, I've been debating whether or not to post about my new album here, because i'm not sure i contribute enough to audio forum to be allowed to post it. But, I've done collabs, and actively follow some NG musicians, so I figure i "earned" the right, even though I don't post much, mostly because the things posted here are technical related and I know nothing about that stuff. But, without further ado...I present "Conversation by Purple Flowers" with a little FAQ here that i ripped from another NG'er :)

ABOUT & MAKING OF
To be as brief as possible, Conversation by Purple Flowers was created in response to a breakup with someone I considered to be the love of my life. Initially, the album was created as a message to her specifically. It was meant to tell her off, to beg for her back, to vent my frustrations and express how hurt and confused I was by the way she acted toward the end of our relationship. As time went on, I realized I was trapping myself in that box, and it was really bringing me down. So, I decided to, instead, go more toward just including good songs, instead of focusing on the specific message or concept I initially intended. While the influence of that personal tragedy is still evident in the lyrics, song titles, numerous unreleased songs from the sessions, and even the album title itself, it is not the entire focus, and instead I decided to focus on just putting out songs people will enjoy, and maybe even relate to.

Can I Listen To It Before I Buy It?
Yes! It's streaming on my YouTube Channel and on my Bandcamp page as well, for free!

Cost
You set the price! You can download it for free, or pay any price you feel is fair. Buying it will give you tiny bonuses like the liner notes and stuff :)

Can I Download Separate Tracks?
Not at the moment. As the creator of it, I feel like the album is meant to be listened to as a solid piece, so that's how I choose to make it available.

Finally, I hope anyone who hears it likes it, because that's why I do this. I want to thank any/everyone for even listening, and all I ask is, if you do like my music at all, please follow me on twitter, subscribe to my YouTube Channel, and spread the word!

http://lemoncrush.bandcamp.com/

New Album: Conversation by Purple..

lasse
lasse
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. Apr. 24th, 2013 @ 06:59 PM Reply

bullet point review
++lovely compositions throughout
+the album overall has a good flow
+crisp guitar sound
-singing is a bit flat/effect heavy in places
fav tracks: Chromataphor, Always Remember, Who Would Have Known?
least fav tracks: Blink Of An Eye
8.3/10 delicious little album


BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. Apr. 24th, 2013 @ 07:37 PM Reply

At 4/24/13 06:59 PM, lasse wrote: bullet point review
++lovely compositions throughout
+the album overall has a good flow
+crisp guitar sound
-singing is a bit flat/effect heavy in places
fav tracks: Chromataphor, Always Remember, Who Would Have Known?
least fav tracks: Blink Of An Eye
8.3/10 delicious little album

Wow, thanks so much. i actually got a little misty eyed, as my music doesn't get much exposure and if it does, it rarely gets anything so positive. really, thank you so much!

As for the singing, I'm not a strong singer (i've only taken it up recently), hence the large amount of fx and stuff to cover up how bad i am lol

lasse
lasse
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 4/24/13 07:37 PM, LemonCrush wrote: As for the singing, I'm not a strong singer (i've only taken it up recently), hence the large amount of fx and stuff to cover up how bad i am lol

i totally relate to that (as can most amateur musicianproducersingers that dont sing much regularly )


BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 10:57 PM Reply

At 4/25/13 09:20 PM, lasse wrote: i totally relate to that (as can most amateur musicianproducersingers that dont sing much regularly )

Yeah, I usually try to focus on instrumental stuff, but due to some of the subject matter i was trying to express, singing was a must. Perhaps next time I'll recruit outside singers..

lasse
lasse
  • Member since: Mar. 18, 2013
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 1st, 2013 @ 05:30 PM Reply

practice


BBS Signature
DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Member since: May. 2, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:02 AM Reply

I thought we werent supposed to advertise audio here, only in the audio thread?


I Am L3O, I Am the only Me there is Nobody Else
L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Musician
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:16 AM Reply

Album Advertising Guidelines.

This thread meets those guidelines.


Audio/BBS Mod
---News: Ask Me Anything (Answers Video!)---Music: Only The Beginning---
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Member since: May. 2, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:56 AM Reply

At 5/2/13 12:16 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Album Advertising Guidelines.

This thread meets those guidelines.

Hmm they must of changed it recently cause every time I tried they banned my thread. Double standards? I think so.


I Am L3O, I Am the only Me there is Nobody Else
L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Member since: Dec. 11, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 33
Musician
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 01:21 AM Reply

At 5/2/13 12:56 AM, DJRAV3N wrote:
At 5/2/13 12:16 AM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Album Advertising Guidelines.

This thread meets those guidelines.
Hmm they must of changed it recently cause every time I tried they banned my thread. Double standards? I think so.

If your threads were deleted, it's because they didn't meet the guidelines. There are no double standards here.

Now there will be no more hijacking Lemon's album thread with petty arguments. If you have a problem with the way the forums are handled, send me a PM and we'll talk it out there.


Audio/BBS Mod
---News: Ask Me Anything (Answers Video!)---Music: Only The Beginning---
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
DJRAV3N
DJRAV3N
  • Member since: May. 2, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Musician
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 03:43 AM Reply

Now there will be no more hijacking Lemon's album thread with petty arguments. If you have a problem with the way the forums are handled, send me a PM and we'll talk it out there.

How about I make a thread? does that meet the guidelines?


I Am L3O, I Am the only Me there is Nobody Else
L3O's Soundcloud
Reverbnation

BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Member since: Jun. 7, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 37
Musician
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 04:00 AM Reply

At 5/2/13 03:43 AM, DJRAV3N wrote:
Now there will be no more hijacking Lemon's album thread with petty arguments. If you have a problem with the way the forums are handled, send me a PM and we'll talk it out there.
How about I make a thread? does that meet the guidelines?

You were warned to stop derailing this thread...

Now you can use the PM system instead. ;)

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Artist
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 07:38 AM Reply

At 4/24/13 06:18 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
ABOUT & MAKING OF
Conversation by Purple Flowers

Album review time.

Your voice was cheesier than Rick Astley. I suggest you practice your tonality.. Work on emotion through your voice. Just sounded like a prepubescent kid with a trembly voice going all off key.. If you can't dish vocal complexity, don't try to. Do enough to where you're confident on your sound.. Even if the cost of simplicity... It's better than deficiency.

The Should I Call? Song... I don't know what you were trying to express here.. Because I don't feel it.

Really short songs consecutively after this... I'm not sure why its so short..

Man... You really have to work on your voice... You can't possibly be happy with the way your voice sounds over the songs? Maybe I'm mistaken..

It just feels kinda like your trying to expand your sound and technique past the point of your own perception during "Always Remember"

do the titles mean anything? I'm just curious because I hear no connection(whether it be song to song or title to title...) also why's it called conversation by purple flowers? I'm confused.

I don't know if its the recording software, the effects, or lack of mastering, but the way your voice is used is just upsetting.

"One more miracle" okay.. Stick with a tone... Your voice begs for a happy ish tone while the rest of the song is twisted as hell in tonality.. Like creepy or something.. I mean the guitars sound cool by themselves definitely

..work on your introductions.. If all of your song are going to be random as hell in comparison to the last, have a breather/an opening to get the listener ready for the new tone/structure/etc. "Last December" was a
good song, sounded pretty Christmasy.

By now I can tell why your songs are short.. It's because your structure is freeform.. Just try to add a riff you can circle back to.. I can hear you do this in "Hera" but its really short.. Sounds good(because its more memorable)
Hmm...tasteless synths in my opinion... But whatever you're going for.. Which idk. I can see alot of this music fitting in a kid game or something like that. Why no effort in simulating drums to sound live? Make the volumes/cutoffs random..do something about it pls. It's like having an organic pet puppy.. Except its body is supported by plastic limbs.. That's how it sounds to have a real guitar and faked percussion (just uncomfortable sounding)

Ok. So maybe I'm harsh. But If you want me to consider this as a legitimate album with "us" as your target audience, a few things:

1. Don't make an album with the sole purpose of one thing(losing a gf or w/e) ... Then decide to change direction somewhere in the middle of all that.. And make it for eeeevvveerrryyyboodddyyyy eeeelllsssseeee... Plan your album... Or devote to your initial plan... Or you can just say fuck it and change it.. But make that noticeable inside the album itself

2. Practice

3. Be consistent with a theme/structure/instruments/tonality. It's an album. It's supposed to have an overall feel of similarity

4. Have an intro to the album.

5. Have an outtro to the album.

6. Have an overall idea.

7. Have it catch people's attention..

8. Have an interesting development.

9. Thicken the plot.

10. Do what you can to keep the listener intrigued.

11. simplify the fuck out of your songs/album until everything works together and makes perfect sense.

12. every beat/note should have a purpose.

In conclusion

Albums are the SRS mode of an artists. It's when your at the point where you feel that you are so skilled with the type of music that you make, that you can make a huge collection of sounds to support an overall theme. Flawlessly. Kinda like manga. You can draw 1 cool anime dude sure... But if you wanna make a story.. You better know how to stay fucking consistent with how they look throughout. Otherwise, it'll just be shit cause the artist wasn't skilled enough to embark on such a difficult journey.
Same goes with an album. It's not just a song.. It's a huge display of effort, and overall musical knowledge. It's not something to be taken lightly in any aspect.. Obviously. And I feel this took several shortcuts of effort and time in order to just put this thing together. One song was even under 1:30. Are some of these WIPs? Be honest.

I'd be shamed as hell if my ex heard me sing/compose like that. Who knows my exs may have heard my shittiest tracks but I sure wouldn't be making it for them... If i did it would probably be lyrically similar to BFMV would make.To be fair though, you are learning.. Experience takes time... And lots and lots of effort. Don't give up!

Album score - 6/10
I've heard worse(but amusingly so) originally 5/10, but +1 for effort and feelings put into it

Songs average score- 7/10
Save for one or two songs that upset me, the rest really hold up on their own and I would give them no less of a rating were it on NG (4/5 stars). Far from professional, but lunging away from mediocrity(which is good)

maybe I spent way too much time on this review... time to poop.

_ _
\ /\ /

BBS Signature
DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Member since: Oct. 24, 2009
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Musician
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:55 AM Reply

At 5/2/13 07:38 AM, Cabbster wrote: Big essay

Oh my. I want reviews like that.


New complextro demo

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Artist
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 12:09 PM Reply

At 5/2/13 08:55 AM, DjAbbic wrote:
At 5/2/13 07:38 AM, Cabbster wrote: Big essay
Oh my. I want reviews like that.

If you'll make an album...I'll drop a review for ya.


_ _
\ /\ /

BBS Signature
DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 02:40 PM Reply

At 5/2/13 12:09 PM, Cabbster wrote:
At 5/2/13 08:55 AM, DjAbbic wrote:
At 5/2/13 07:38 AM, Cabbster wrote: Big essay
Oh my. I want reviews like that.
If you'll make an album...I'll drop a review for ya.

Dibs on Cabbster!
When i make an album i want one as well xD

About the album..well..Cabbsters advises are golden...im not planning in making an album and i feel enlightened by them.
The album has really great guitar and Bass work, those were really good....the composition was also pretty nice, but dude you have to either work a lot in that voice or find a singer for your album so you could focus in composing and let the singing to him.
Love the instruments in "One more miracle" but just cant ignore the vocals.
Those songs submitted to NG would be fine, each song we submit here are to be listened by Musicians mostly, so anyone without a solid rep will be submitting for reviews and opinions, but that was in an album you had to look to get as close as you can to perfection with that.
Im also very Vocal oriented so i know how overwhelming it can be to know if what i am recording sounds good or i just heard it so many times im going nuts and thinking it sounds good xD
The Album is not something memorable but has character, the real instruments are really good specially the guitar.
The vocals are just not there yet, having new vocals in the album would change it completely...this feels like im looking at an Ok looking girl with a massive scar in her face,,,i just cant ignore it even if i wanted,
Conversation By Purple Flowers 6/10

One question that kinda bugs me...why didn't you ever submit songs like those to NG?
The songs you have here are in no way par with most of those seen in your album.
Good luck in the future, and focus more on your Guitar/bass skills!


No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 05:52 PM Reply

At 5/2/13 07:38 AM, Cabbster wrote: Your voice was cheesier than Rick Astley. I suggest you practice your tonality.. Work on emotion through your voice. Just sounded like a prepubescent kid with a trembly voice going all off key.. If you can't dish vocal complexity, don't try to. Do enough to where you're confident on your sound.. Even if the cost of simplicity... It's better than deficiency.

I suppose. i mean, I've never claimed to be a strong singer to being with. The vocals are the best I could muster, so....

The Should I Call? Song... I don't know what you were trying to express here.. Because I don't feel it.

Well, that's fine. I thought it was a good enough song...

Really short songs consecutively after this... I'm not sure why its so short..

IDK either. They just are.

Man... You really have to work on your voice... You can't possibly be happy with the way your voice sounds over the songs? Maybe I'm mistaken..

Well, I'm not the best singer, but my decision to include the songs with vocals, was mostly based on the fact that lots of people don't sing well, but have decent songs anyway. Bob Dylan, jimi Hendrix, john Lennon...none of them were good singers, but people like their music anyway.

It just feels kinda like your trying to expand your sound and technique past the point of your own perception during "Always Remember"

No, in fact, that's one of my lesser liked songs because it's something I do (that style anyway) too often lol

do the titles mean anything? I'm just curious because I hear no connection(whether it be song to song or title to title...) also why's it called conversation by purple flowers? I'm confused.

The titles mean something to me, either inspired by the emotion I felt while writing it, or the emotion that I was trying to convey. But that's objective anyway...if you don't "get" it, that's fine, I take no issue with it.

I don't know if its the recording software, the effects, or lack of mastering, but the way your voice is used is just upsetting.

Sorry :/

"One more miracle" okay.. Stick with a tone... Your voice begs for a happy ish tone while the rest of the song is twisted as hell in tonality.. Like creepy or something.. I mean the guitars sound cool by themselves definitely

What do you mean? Like the vocal melody is clashing with the chords?

..work on your introductions.. If all of your song are going to be random as hell in comparison to the last, have a breather/an opening to get the listener ready for the new tone/structure/etc. "Last December" was a
good song, sounded pretty Christmasy.

I didn't think the songs sounded random in comparison at all.

By now I can tell why your songs are short.. It's because your structure is freeform.. Just try to add a riff you can circle back to.. I can hear you do this in "Hera" but its really short.. Sounds good(because its more memorable)

No, these songs are just short because they are. I have other material that I recorded for the album that were 7 minutes long. I just liked the shorter songs better, for whatever reasons. Even still, aside from Hera or Maybe Christmas, i don't think any of them are all that short.

Hmm...tasteless synths in my opinion... But whatever you're going for.. Which idk. I can see alot of this music fitting in a kid game or something like that. Why no effort in simulating drums to sound live? Make the volumes/cutoffs random..do something about it pls. It's like having an organic pet puppy.. Except its body is supported by plastic limbs.. That's how it sounds to have a real guitar and faked percussion (just uncomfortable sounding)

I'm not going for a live sounding drum sound because I'm not playing with one, obviously. Electronic music never has realistic sounding drums, idk why mine is expected to.

Ok. So maybe I'm harsh. But If you want me to consider this as a legitimate album with "us" as your target audience, a few things:

It's not harsh. You don't like it, and I have no problem with that at all. People like different things. No problem :)

1. Don't make an album with the sole purpose of one thing(losing a gf or w/e) ... Then decide to change direction somewhere in the middle of all that.. And make it for eeeevvveerrryyyboodddyyyy eeeelllsssseeee... Plan your album... Or devote to your initial plan... Or you can just say fuck it and change it.. But make that noticeable inside the album itself

Well, we just disagree here. I make stuff for me, and if it's liked, that's awesome, but if it's not, that's fine too. I'm not really one to bend over and try to appease others' expectations for my art I read the rest too, i just don't have anything to say in response.

Same goes with an album. It's not just a song.. It's a huge display of effort, and overall musical knowledge. It's not something to be taken lightly in any aspect.. Obviously. And I feel this took several shortcuts of effort and time in order to just put this thing together. One song was even under 1:30. Are some of these WIPs? Be honest.

I'm right there with you 100% and that's why i don't put out albums very often as I do EPs or singular songs. I didn't take any shortcuts anywhere. A 1:30 song? Big deal...I don't see why songs have to be long just because they're on an album. I picked the songs based on how I felt about their content, subject matter, etc. Not how long they were. As for WiP...I don't know what that is...

I'd be shamed as hell if my ex heard me sing/compose like that. Who knows my exs may have heard my shittiest tracks but I sure wouldn't be making it for them... If i did it would probably be lyrically similar to BFMV would make.To be fair though, you are learning.. Experience takes time... And lots and lots of effort. Don't give up!

My ex actually likes my music, even though lately it's all (rather, most) been about her.

Thanks for the review anyway

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 06:01 PM Reply

At 5/2/13 02:40 PM, DivoFST wrote: The album has really great guitar and Bass work, those were really good....the composition was also pretty nice, but dude you have to either work a lot in that voice or find a singer for your album so you could focus in composing and let the singing to him.

Well, I'm just working with what god gave me. my voice is my voice, there's not much i can do about it.

Love the instruments in "One more miracle" but just cant ignore the vocals.

I didn't think they were THAT bad

Those songs submitted to NG would be fine, each song we submit here are to be listened by Musicians mostly, so anyone without a solid rep will be submitting for reviews and opinions, but that was in an album you had to look to get as close as you can to perfection with that.

i thought it was damn good

The Album is not something memorable but has character, the real instruments are really good specially the guitar.

Thanks

The vocals are just not there yet, having new vocals in the album would change it completely...this feels like im looking at an Ok looking girl with a massive scar in her face,,,i just cant ignore it even if i wanted,

Again, with the vocals...not much i can do about it...except keep singing. I don't tihnk you guys get how hard it was for me to put out something with vocals on it. I deliberated forever on whether or not it was a good idea...well, it was the best of my ability and it fit how I felt, etc. so I put it out.

One question that kinda bugs me...why didn't you ever submit songs like those to NG?

Because i knew that if they were on NG, it'd be ripped apart and be downloaded as seperate tracks, which I don't want.

The songs you have here are in no way par with most of those seen in your album.

huh? You're saying the songs on NG are better than the albums songs?

DivoFST
DivoFST
  • Member since: Jun. 25, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 16
Musician
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 08:45 PM Reply

No, the opposite.
Your skill in composing and performing as a guitarist and bassist are far above what you submitted here on NG for what i hear in the album, if i heard those songs in your NG repertoire and knowing you a bit like i do i would have fanned your page no doubt, you indeed an interesting musician, a hard working one, skilled in bass and guitar and a nice guy!
And about what i said, i said songs like those, not exactly those, i get it that an album should be heard as a whole.
Please don't take my review as a destructive one...it was by no means that...i really want to help you not bring you down.


No mather how good you are sometime, somewhere, somehow...
Someone will blow your mind and make feel a beginner again..

BBS Signature
Shanath
Shanath
  • Member since: Oct. 16, 2010
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 09
Audiophile
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:06 PM Reply

I really like the guitar and bass work like a few others have mentioned in this thread already. It seems you tried your best as far as the vocal side of things go but I don't think it was that big of a success. Right now the vocals detract a lot of what could be a few great instrumental pieces which honestly could have had as much emotion as you originally intended even without any kind of vocals in them.

You've said it yourself, singing isn't really your forte. If I were you I'd actually get someone else to help you with the vocals next time because no matter how much effort you put into it your performance just ends up feeling quite lacking and I feel leaving the vocals out would have given you a better ending result.

It's a decent album, but you should really focus on what you're truly best at.

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:13 PM Reply

At 5/2/13 09:06 PM, Shanath wrote: I really like the guitar and bass work like a few others have mentioned in this thread already. It seems you tried your best as far as the vocal side of things go but I don't think it was that big of a success. Right now the vocals detract a lot of what could be a few great instrumental pieces which honestly could have had as much emotion as you originally intended even without any kind of vocals in them.

Thank you!

I suppose some songs could have been instrumental, but i think that would be far too boring just listening to a 6 minute guitar solo. At least it would be to me

You've said it yourself, singing isn't really your forte. If I were you I'd actually get someone else to help you with the vocals next time because no matter how much effort you put into it your performance just ends up feeling quite lacking and I feel leaving the vocals out would have given you a better ending result.

singing isn't going to be a full time thing for me anyway. it hasn't really appeared on any songs I plan on putting out in the future.

It's a decent album, but you should really focus on what you're truly best at.

Thank you

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:30 PM Reply

At 5/2/13 08:45 PM, DivoFST wrote: Your skill in composing and performing as a guitarist and bassist are far above what you submitted here on NG for what i hear in the album, if i heard those songs in your NG repertoire and knowing you a bit like i do i would have fanned your page no doubt, you indeed an interesting musician, a hard working one, skilled in bass and guitar and a nice guy!

Oh thanks! The songs here on NG are just kind of singles, you could say. Just "work on in my spare time" stuff. Not album caliber stuff anyway.

Please don't take my review as a destructive one...it was by no means that...i really want to help you not bring you down.

I know it wasn't destructive. no problems!

Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Artist
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 3rd, 2013 @ 01:08 AM Reply

At 5/2/13 05:52 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 5/2/13 07:38 AM, Cabbster wrote:
Well, I'm not the best singer, but my decision to include the songs with vocals, was mostly based on the fact that lots of people don't sing well, but have decent songs anyway. Bob Dylan, jimi Hendrix, john Lennon...none of them were good singers, but people like their music anyway.

I wouldn't compare them with your singing.. Their songs aren't just decent. They're CLASSICS! Saying none of them were good at singing... The ego flows with this one.

do the titles mean anything? I'm just curious because I hear no connection(whether it be song to song or title to title...) also why's it called conversation by purple flowers? I'm confused.
The titles mean something to me, either inspired by the emotion I felt while writing it, or the emotion that I was trying to convey. But that's objective anyway...if you don't "get" it, that's fine, I take no issue with it.

If your album is so sacred and personal, perhaps it was not meant for my ears. I thought it'd be cool if it was called just "Conversation" or "Purple Flowers".. Because it seems like Conversation is the name, and purple flowers is the artist. I legitimately was confused at first. Which was a consistent theme throughout. I was hoping you would explain the meaning behind the title, but I guess not.

I don't know if its the recording software, the effects, or lack of mastering, but the way your voice is used is just upsetting.
Sorry :/

It ok now sounds better now tat u apologized

"One more miracle" okay.. Stick with a tone... Your voice begs for a happy ish tone while the rest of the song is twisted as hell in tonality.. Like creepy or something.. I mean the guitars sound cool by themselves definitely
What do you mean? Like the vocal melody is clashing with the chords?

Yes.. I've said that exact phrase plenty of times before.. I doubt artists understand what I mean because its worded so broadly.


Electronic music never has realistic sounding drums

...You sure about that?

idk why mine is expected to.

I didn't expect it. I advised it, because rather than using samples as a sort of gimmick to give a force to your song, it was done just as the bare minimum.

Ok. So maybe I'm harsh. But If you want me to consider this as a legitimate album with "us" as your target audience, a few things:
It's not harsh. You don't like it, and I have no problem with that at all. People like different things. No problem :)

Lol.. You're brushing off my criticism. Let me just say I like anything that was produced well. And that's how I looked at this.


1. Don't make an album with the sole purpose of one thing(losing a gf or w/e) ... Then decide to change direction somewhere in the middle of all that.. And make it for eeeevvveerrryyyboodddyyyy eeeelllsssseeee... Plan your album... Or devote to your initial plan... Or you can just say fuck it and change it.. But make that noticeable inside the album itself
Well, we just disagree here. I make stuff for me, and if it's liked, that's awesome, but if it's not, that's fine too. I'm not really one to bend over and try to appease others' expectations for my art I read the rest too, i just don't have anything to say in response.

Well I never had dislike for you as an artist.. Until now. Don't share your music if its for you. Eat your goddamn cupcake and don't wave it in other people's faces if you're not planning on sharing it(aka "bending over and appeasing others")

Same goes with an album. It's not just a song.. It's a huge display of effort, and overall musical knowledge. It's not something to be taken lightly in any aspect.. Obviously. And I feel this took several shortcuts of effort and time in order to just put this thing together. One song was even under 1:30. Are some of these WIPs? Be honest.
I'm right there with you 100% and that's why i don't put out albums very often as I do EPs or singular songs.

Of course not.. Albums take a longer time to make

I didn't take any shortcuts anywhere. A 1:30 song? Big deal...I don't see why songs have to be long just because they're on an album. I picked the songs based on how I felt about their content, subject matter, etc. Not how long they were. As for WiP...I don't know what that is...

WIP = work in progress. Hmm. So songs don't have to be long. Yeah. You're right. They don't. They don't have to be short, either. In fact, they don't even have to exist. Neither do I. Or this post. Or bronies.

My ex actually likes my music, even though lately it's all (rather, most) been about her.

If you're around >16 then disregard everything I ever said. Cause that's different.

Thanks for the review anyway

Thanks for reading it. I was hoping you wouldn't take it in the manner you did, which was to refute everything.

Anyways, hope to see improvements on your future endeavors, or something like that.


_ _
\ /\ /

BBS Signature
LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 4th, 2013 @ 12:30 AM Reply

At 5/3/13 11:37 PM, Corbetto wrote: Awesome music, legitimately enjoyed all songs on the album up to the point where the vocals came in on the songs.
The lyrics were alright but most of your singing sounded really awkward :/

Thanks...any tips on making them less "awkward"? is it a mixing/volume issue? would you say the songs would have been better without vocals, and just left as instrumental?

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 4th, 2013 @ 12:42 AM Reply

At 5/3/13 01:08 AM, Cabbster wrote: I wouldn't compare them with your singing.. Their songs aren't just decent. They're CLASSICS! Saying none of them were good at singing... The ego flows with this one.

But they didn't start as classics. you think Hendrix covered Hey joe with the intent of making it a "classic"? As for hendrix, et al being good at singing. You'd be way off. The people i mentioned are good songwriters, but not good singers. Listen to "Imagine" by Lennon. He covered it up with effects because he didn't have a good voice. i wasn't comparing myself to them anyway, I was saying you can have great songs despite sub-par vocal performance

If your album is so sacred and personal, perhaps it was not meant for my ears. I thought it'd be cool if it was called just "Conversation" or "Purple Flowers".. Because it seems like Conversation is the name, and purple flowers is the artist. I legitimately was confused at first. Which was a consistent theme throughout. I was hoping you would explain the meaning behind the title, but I guess not.

ok, well, the thread/theme of the album was my engagement falling apart...the discussion my former fiance and I had toward the end about us, the future, etc, took place next to some mexican petunia bushes...which have purple flowers. Get it?

Yes.. I've said that exact phrase plenty of times before.. I doubt artists understand what I mean because its worded so broadly.

Well, I didn't think they clashed

...You sure about that?

Yeah. Go listen to Prince's 1999 album. or Thriller. Or maybe some Aphex Twin or Daft Punk. Or any hip hop song. realistic sounding drums?

I didn't expect it. I advised it, because rather than using samples as a sort of gimmick to give a force to your song, it was done just as the bare minimum.

No, it really wasn't

Lol.. You're brushing off my criticism. Let me just say I like anything that was produced well. And that's how I looked at this.

I'm not brushing you off. you said your criticism was harsh. I don't think it is. You didn't enjoy it. That's fine. what would you have me do? Freak out over one person's opinion?

Well I never had dislike for you as an artist.. Until now. Don't share your music if its for you. Eat your goddamn cupcake and don't wave it in other people's faces if you're not planning on sharing it(aka "bending over and appeasing others")

Oh boo-hoo. You don't like the way i work, fine. no one is making you listen. But consider this...do you think any great artist in any medium created art specifically to impress people? I doubt it, and neither do I.

WIP = work in progress. Hmm. So songs don't have to be long. Yeah. You're right. They don't. They don't have to be short, either. In fact, they don't even have to exist. Neither do I. Or this post. Or bronies.

No, they weren't WIP's. They DO have to be short if you've said all you can say in a song. no point in superficially stretching out a song just because. i didn't make the songs short just to make them short, I made them short because that's all there was to say.

If you're around >16 then disregard everything I ever said. Cause that's different.

LOL. No I'm 23.

Thanks for reading it. I was hoping you wouldn't take it in the manner you did, which was to refute everything.

Sorry I didn't just let you come in and bash my album without any rebuttal

LemonCrush
LemonCrush
  • Member since: Sep. 9, 2012
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 6th, 2013 @ 01:55 PM Reply

At 5/4/13 05:45 AM, Corbetto wrote: Nothing to do with mixing or volume. It's just the sound of your voice at some parts of the songs. I don't know much about singing but i imagine you would sound less awkward by improving your singing voice, i dunno man.

i'm working on it

YES, spot on son. Instrumental would be best for your music.

But don't you think it would be boring?"

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Member since: Jun. 26, 2011
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Musician
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 6th, 2013 @ 02:26 PM Reply

At 5/6/13 01:55 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 5/4/13 05:45 AM, Corbetto wrote: YES, spot on son. Instrumental would be best for your music.
But don't you think it would be boring?"

Not quite, especially when you hear instrumental passages in songs you enjoy... especially melodic ones.


AMDG ✝

Troisnyx [TWRA-nix]: Someone from whom you can find wibbly-wobbly... timey-wimey... stuff.

BBS Signature
Cabbster
Cabbster
  • Member since: Apr. 1, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Artist
Response to New Album: Conversation by Purple.. May. 6th, 2013 @ 07:03 PM Reply

At 5/6/13 02:26 PM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote:
At 5/6/13 01:55 PM, LemonCrush wrote:
At 5/4/13 05:45 AM, Corbetto wrote:
YES, spot on son. Instrumental would be best for your music.
But don't you think it would be boring?"
Not quite, especially when you hear instrumental passages in songs you enjoy... especially melodic ones.

YE. I agree with TroisNyx.

Despite my crits, your instrumentals were really good. No part of your music was boring imo. It's
In terms of boring music... thats perspective of the perceiver. Man one of my favorite songs is an instrumental(Trivium). Shiz and the only reason I bashed your album so bad was because of the singing. Other than that my dissatisfaction trickled downwards into other minute aspects.
Anyways if you want to sing to your music then by all means do it, just know there's standards.

Apologies for my barrage of "y u no perfek?" rants.


_ _
\ /\ /

BBS Signature