New Topic Respond to this Topic
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 24th, 2013 @ 02:47 PM Reply

It's been a few years now since StarCraft 2 : Wing Of Liberty as been out in stores. And for a few months now, we've had the newest expansion, Heart Of The Swarm.

I've been playing this game for about a year competitively now, and I was wondering if there was anybody on Newgrounds who played this game. If so, it would be interresting to have a Newgrounds Clan for StarCraft 2, in order to play against each others, and also to be able to play as a team against other teams.

When joinning, tell what kind of matches you are interrested in (1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, Monobattles, Free-For-All, etc.) and what your rank is and in what league for each of theses ladders.

Welcome to the StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan.

HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 24th, 2013 @ 07:56 PM Reply

I have a passing interest in it. a few of my friends play it (by that i mean like 1)

looks really interesting. I just don't have the time or patience to learn all the ins and outs of it.

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 10:04 PM Reply

At 4/24/13 07:56 PM, HighWay wrote: I have a passing interest in it. a few of my friends play it (by that i mean like 1)

looks really interesting. I just don't have the time or patience to learn all the ins and outs of it.

Would you still be interrested in playing, even just for fun, with other players of Newgrounds?

HighWay
HighWay
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 10:12 PM Reply

At 4/25/13 10:04 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Would you still be interrested in playing, even just for fun, with other players of Newgrounds?

i mean if i had the slightest idea how to play i would love to

The work, which becomes a new genre itself, will be called...

BBS Signature
Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 11:40 PM Reply

Someday when I have a computer capable of running the game smoothly, I'm going to buy Starcraft 2. I've been following the scene for about a year and a half now, watching a lot of casted replays, tournaments, player streams, etc. It's actually the first thing I've ever passionately followed, even though I'm not too great at the game myself (I have a pirated copy so I just play campaign and against AI; I'd probably rank myself in mid Gold league :P)

So yeah I can't actually join the clan just yet, but someday I'd love to play some games with fellow NGers. What race do you play, Heaven? I'm not actually sure what race I will play once I get on the ladder; probably Terran I think. Also, have you played SC1?

It made more sense in my head.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 26th, 2013 @ 12:40 PM Reply

At 4/25/13 11:40 PM, Tremulos wrote: Someday when I have a computer capable of running the game smoothly, I'm going to buy Starcraft 2. I've been following the scene for about a year and a half now, watching a lot of casted replays, tournaments, player streams, etc. It's actually the first thing I've ever passionately followed, even though I'm not too great at the game myself (I have a pirated copy so I just play campaign and against AI; I'd probably rank myself in mid Gold league :P)

I like to follow casters, tournaments and players replays :) It is very fun to follow, indeed!

So yeah I can't actually join the clan just yet, but someday I'd love to play some games with fellow NGers. What race do you play, Heaven? I'm not actually sure what race I will play once I get on the ladder; probably Terran I think. Also, have you played SC1?

I used to play StarCraft 1 and StarCraft Brood War, but that was way back then. I was just a kid and sucked at the game :P But yes, I played!

This season I've played 1v1 and 4v4 only. In 1v1 I play Protoss and I'm currently ranked 13th of my division in the Platinum league. When I play 4v4, I just go Random and I'm currently in the Diamond league :)

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 26th, 2013 @ 01:17 PM Reply

At 4/26/13 12:40 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: I used to play StarCraft 1 and StarCraft Brood War, but that was way back then. I was just a kid and sucked at the game :P But yes, I played!

Haha same. I played the game for years against the AI with cheats, until I finally realized that cheats were making it incredibly boring. I actually vividly remember the first time I beat the AI legit :P I never played that one online either, since it was a copy that a friend made for me.

This season I've played 1v1 and 4v4 only. In 1v1 I play Protoss and I'm currently ranked 13th of my division in the Platinum league. When I play 4v4, I just go Random and I'm currently in the Diamond league :)

Very nice. So, what's your favorite new Protoss unit in HotS?

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 26th, 2013 @ 03:31 PM Reply

At 4/26/13 01:17 PM, Tremulos wrote: Very nice. So, what's your favorite new Protoss unit in HotS?

Having the Oracle is a big plus in 1v1, especially when playing Protoss or Terran players. I like the Mothership Core a little more everytime I play. It's useful as fuck! I've not found a good situation to use the Tempest properly in 1v1, though. This kind of unit is useful in big matches like 4v4, though. Having an army of these bastards is just ridiculous :P

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 27th, 2013 @ 02:56 AM Reply

At 4/26/13 03:31 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Having the Oracle is a big plus in 1v1, especially when playing Protoss or Terran players. I like the Mothership Core a little more everytime I play. It's useful as fuck! I've not found a good situation to use the Tempest properly in 1v1, though. This kind of unit is useful in big matches like 4v4, though. Having an army of these bastards is just ridiculous :P

Yeah the Tempest is kinda weird; I feel like they need splash damage or something. Once you get enough of them you can one-shot a command center, and yet that same fleet will struggle against marines unless you have plenty of high ground to kite over or something. Oracles are awesome though, and extremely useful from what I've seen. In general, all the new units seem to demand better control, which makes for more exciting tournaments! Apparently everyone is of the opinion that hellbats will be nerfed; I've never had to play against them so I wouldn't really know, but what do you think?

BBS Signature
Kanon
Kanon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Gamer
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 27th, 2013 @ 03:22 AM Reply

I play both occasionally, however i'm not a pvp type, although i'm not about to shoot it down since I haven't tried it, but I like to play against the AI mostly.

PSN: Tysonizer, Best Thread of 2012.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 28th, 2013 @ 12:19 AM Reply

At 4/27/13 02:56 AM, Tremulos wrote: Yeah the Tempest is kinda weird; I feel like they need splash damage or something. Once you get enough of them you can one-shot a command center, and yet that same fleet will struggle against marines unless you have plenty of high ground to kite over or something. Oracles are awesome though, and extremely useful from what I've seen. In general, all the new units seem to demand better control, which makes for more exciting tournaments! Apparently everyone is of the opinion that hellbats will be nerfed; I've never had to play against them so I wouldn't really know, but what do you think?

Well, Tempests aren't supposed to be used alone. You can't mass-tempest and destroy everything. But when it comes to game modes, 1v1 doesn't favor the use of such units. Tempests, Carriers, Battlecruisers, etc. Aren't favored in 1v1 match-ups. Too long to get, and way too costly.

On the subject of hellbats, I don't have much to say for Terran players barely every used them against Protoss players, so I can't tell. Zerg players or Terran players would have more to say on the matter. Terran when they play against Protoss usually try to beat us on the midgame with Marines-Marrauders-Medivacs.

Widow Mines though... I fucking hate them...

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 28th, 2013 @ 05:55 AM Reply

Looks like a good game, Is it worth buying?

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like. // #FREEAMA2014

BBS Signature
laughatyourfuneral
laughatyourfuneral
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 28th, 2013 @ 11:42 AM Reply

My battletag is #2784 if someone wants to add me, a free for all with 3 or 4 people would be fun (i suck)

by all means... ask

BBS Signature
Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 28th, 2013 @ 02:26 PM Reply

At 4/28/13 12:19 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Well, Tempests aren't supposed to be used alone. You can't mass-tempest and destroy everything. But when it comes to game modes, 1v1 doesn't favor the use of such units. Tempests, Carriers, Battlecruisers, etc. Aren't favored in 1v1 match-ups. Too long to get, and way too costly.

On the subject of hellbats, I don't have much to say for Terran players barely every used them against Protoss players, so I can't tell. Zerg players or Terran players would have more to say on the matter. Terran when they play against Protoss usually try to beat us on the midgame with Marines-Marrauders-Medivacs.

Widow Mines though... I fucking hate them...

I guess Tempests might discourage Zergs to go Broodlords, so that's one passive use for them :P Widow mines are pretty crazy though. I have a bit of a skewed opinion of them, since what I know of them comes from watching pros deal with them and not actually playing against them myself (the AI never really places them well haha), but yeah, they take a lot of effort to deal with. They're great for us spectators though; there's something incredibly exciting about the prospect of 20 or 30 lings being blown the hell up by one single unit.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan Apr. 30th, 2013 @ 07:50 PM Reply

At 4/28/13 05:55 AM, darkjam wrote: Looks like a good game, Is it worth buying?

Well, right now I think you can get both SC2 and the expansion for 60 bucks or so. It's worth the money if you like RTS games.

At 4/28/13 11:42 AM, laughatyourfuneral wrote: My battletag is #2784 if someone wants to add me, a free for all with 3 or 4 people would be fun (i suck)

I'll find a way to add you :)

At 4/28/13 02:26 PM, Tremulos wrote: I guess Tempests might discourage Zergs to go Broodlords, so that's one passive use for them :P Widow mines are pretty crazy though. I have a bit of a skewed opinion of them, since what I know of them comes from watching pros deal with them and not actually playing against them myself (the AI never really places them well haha), but yeah, they take a lot of effort to deal with. They're great for us spectators though; there's something incredibly exciting about the prospect of 20 or 30 lings being blown the hell up by one single unit.

Yes, Zerg players are rather cautious now when it comes to air units. Our air units are finaly good enough to fight at equal strenght with zerg players. The pheonixes are great against mutas and even brood lords if those aren't protected well. And the tempests are a great tool, even if you do not use them, because like you said, they discourage zergs to go brood lords. Often now, I see zerg players going early hydralysks to counter mass void rays. Zerg players nowadays do not get the upper-hand automaticaly against protoss in the late-game.

Widow Mines are a pain in the ass, because even when you know where they are, you often need to sacrifice an unit to destroy it, or it forces you to slow down a lot and gives informations to the terran players as to where your units are... It's... seripusly annoying. And if you ever play 4v4 as terran... GET WIDOW MINES :P

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan May. 1st, 2013 @ 10:56 PM Reply

New season as begun :) Join the fun!

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan May. 2nd, 2013 @ 05:43 AM Reply

Code S, Round of 16, Group B

I'm staying up all night to watch this. Parting, Flash, Life, and Innovation. Not gonna miss this for sleep, even if I am going to the midnight premiere of Iron Man 3 tomorrow night. I can always just sleep through Iron Man.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan May. 4th, 2013 @ 05:41 PM Reply

At 5/2/13 05:43 AM, Tremulos wrote: Code S, Round of 16, Group B

I'm staying up all night to watch this. Parting, Flash, Life, and Innovation. Not gonna miss this for sleep, even if I am going to the midnight premiere of Iron Man 3 tomorrow night. I can always just sleep through Iron Man.

So, how did it go?

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan May. 4th, 2013 @ 05:46 PM Reply

At 5/4/13 05:41 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 5/2/13 05:43 AM, Tremulos wrote: Code S, Round of 16, Group B

So, how did it go?

I fell asleep half way through :P Life did great while I was watching but apparently he and Flash both got knocked out, so Innovation and Parting both advanced, which I really didn't expect. I wish Gomtv would put the VODs up for free :(

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan May. 4th, 2013 @ 07:58 PM Reply

Just lost to a dt cheese, and before that to a mass void cheese. Makes me ashamed of being a protoss player...

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan May. 7th, 2013 @ 11:23 PM Reply

At 5/4/13 05:46 PM, Tremulos wrote: I fell asleep half way through :P Life did great while I was watching but apparently he and Flash both got knocked out, so Innovation and Parting both advanced, which I really didn't expect. I wish Gomtv would put the VODs up for free :(

You watch any live stream?

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan May. 8th, 2013 @ 02:01 PM Reply

At 5/4/13 07:58 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: Just lost to a dt cheese, and before that to a mass void cheese. Makes me ashamed of being a protoss player...

Cheese is part of the game. I've never had to play against it myself (the AI doesn't cheese) but I'm pretty sure that Mothership Core + Oracle shuts down most cheese, since you've got the Nexus cannon and detection, but then again the Stargate is kind of an investment, but if he ends up not cheesing then you can use the oracle for harassment and the core is good to have anyways. I don't know :P

At 5/7/13 11:23 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: You watch any live stream?

I probably watch too many live streams...

BBS Signature
Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan May. 12th, 2013 @ 03:30 AM Reply

Speaking of live streamers, IdrA has been released from team EG. Judging from watching his stream today and from watching this video, I'd say IdrA's future is looking brighter than ever. I don't know if anyone here has ever watched his stream but lately he's had a horrible attitude towards everything, but today he's seemed positive and almost excited, which is great because he's a great player and an even better analytic.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan May. 18th, 2013 @ 01:21 AM Reply

At 5/8/13 02:01 PM, Tremulos wrote: Cheese is part of the game. I've never had to play against it myself (the AI doesn't cheese) but I'm pretty sure that Mothership Core + Oracle shuts down most cheese, since you've got the Nexus cannon and detection, but then again the Stargate is kind of an investment, but if he ends up not cheesing then you can use the oracle for harassment and the core is good to have anyways. I don't know :P

The problem with the dt rush is that it inflicts a lot of damage if you can't spot the dts fast enough. And you still have to micro the oracle around to chase down the dts.

At 5/12/13 03:30 AM, Tremulos wrote: Speaking of live streamers, IdrA has been released from team EG. Judging from watching his stream today and from watching this video, I'd say IdrA's future is looking brighter than ever. I don't know if anyone here has ever watched his stream but lately he's had a horrible attitude towards everything, but today he's seemed positive and almost excited, which is great because he's a great player and an even better analytic.

Idra was released by EG, yes. And Stephano has announced that he will be reteiring from professionnal gaming. Which is very sad...

Tremulos
Tremulos
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to StarCraft 2 Newgrounds Clan May. 18th, 2013 @ 02:48 AM Reply

At 5/18/13 01:21 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Idra was released by EG, yes. And Stephano has announced that he will be reteiring from professionnal gaming. Which is very sad...

Yeah I wasn't too surprised about IdrA, but Stephano was really surprising. I guess he has some more important things to do, but damn, talk about a guy who really made it in eSports. I'm glad that IdrA at least is staying with the game.

And I still don't know exactly what it's like to play against a DT rush, but I do know that it's very effective against every level of the AI :3

BBS Signature