Happygrounder
Happygrounder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Filmmaker
Film critics 2013-04-24 14:07:55 Reply

Do you like them?

I hate them actually. They think they can judge any movie and say if it's bad or good.

It's the peoples opinion that counts.

And they underate everything, especially comedies.

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 14:26:28 Reply

Nostalgia Critic is the worst critic ever.

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 14:40:27 Reply

Well like you said it's just the matter of Oppinion and some will accept or regret the moment they actually pick up the product It's different to many person.Though some have been payed to give high ratings.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 14:52:34 Reply

At 4/24/13 02:07 PM, Happygrounder wrote:
I hate them actually. They think they can judge any movie and say if it's bad or good.

It's literally their job to say whether or not they found a movie to be good, from the view of somebody who has seen a fuckload of movies both good and bad; they can't influence whether or not people enjoy the movie.

Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 15:03:54 Reply

Is the critic me? If not than I probably disagree with them about something they said.

Fim
Fim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 47
Audiophile
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 15:26:58 Reply

Everyone's secondary job is movie critic :P

BBS Signature
Phobotech
Phobotech
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Animator
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 15:33:17 Reply

I appreciate them, because sometimes you can love or hate a movie, and you don't fully connect the dots as to why. Sometimes a good critic can fully illustrate why something worked and why something failed about the movie...at its core, its just an outside opinion. Maybe even to challenge preconceived observations you had about a film...people who enjoy critics enjoy being a closet critic themselves, or even just enjoy using a movie as a conversation point with other people.

Its a social thing.

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature
triplenoob
triplenoob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Movie Buff
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 15:34:22 Reply

At 4/24/13 02:26 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Nostalgia Critic is the worst critic ever.

You annoy me with that. You also have to bring him up, like anyone cared.

[My Art] Sig made by me PM me if you want one just as sexy, or request one here

BBS Signature
jimbobmuffincake
jimbobmuffincake
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Gamer
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 16:05:01 Reply

At 4/24/13 02:07 PM, Happygrounder wrote: Do you like them?

Film critics are retarded. I've seen some terrible movies that the film critics though were "masterpieces."

ila

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 16:52:18 Reply

At 4/24/13 02:07 PM, Happygrounder wrote: Do you like them?

Well, I can't really blame them because comedy is one of those genres which gains about a dozen (big) releases every year and only once in a while there's a diamond between them (as in, something that actually feels somewhat original). But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I'm not one who often reads reviews of professional critics but I do regularly check out Rotten Tomatoes just for some recommendations on what new releases to look out for. True, their opinion is often somewhat apart from what the regular film going crowd thinks (e.g. the IMDB people), but so far I've seldom been disappointed by a film that was highly rated on Rotten Tomatoes. Also, there are a few films I loved which I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't spotted them on RT.

So I have nothing against critics personally and I like how they look at films from a different perspective.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 16:58:17 Reply

A good critic will have studied film for years, either formally or simply through watching everything they can get their hands on, and will have a grasp of the technical aspects of making a film and the history of the medium.

Of course their opinion is still subjective, but it should also be informed and thought provoking.

Good film criticism is the kind you can learn from and appreciative even if you disagree with it.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 17:08:59 Reply

At 4/24/13 04:52 PM, Auz wrote: here's a diamond between them (as in, something that actually feels somewhat original). But that's just my opinion.

Anyway, I'm not one who often reads reviews of professional critics but I do regularly check out Rotten Tomatoes just for some recommendations on what new releases to look out for.

I don't really like rotten tomatoes. Their reviews are full of people who really want you to know they took a film class once.Framing, composition, mind screen, Tim Robbins in The Player.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Grandvision
Grandvision
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Musician
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 17:36:34 Reply

I don't look at any film critic reviews at all. I just watch the trailer on Youtube and decide for myself, usually my own judgement doesn't disappoint but I also sometimes look up Top 100 lists for movies in 2013, 2012, etc. I've been going down the list for quite a while now, so many good movies I missed, I tell ya. D:

Ejit
Ejit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Film critics 2013-04-24 17:39:36 Reply

I think anyone who perceives a critic's job as deciding whether a film was good or not is misunderstanding their purpose, or just reading bad critiques.

I'm a survivor. We're a dying breed.

It is today. That is not a problem.

BBS Signature