• 16 Replies
darkavenger666
darkavenger666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:05 AM

Okay, I'm kind of a n00b at this site and maybe there was something in the Terms of Use policy about this, but I sure as hell didn't see it. I just finished uploading a song onto the Audio section, I went to check it out, and I noticed there was a download button on there. I was curious if it prompted me to pay for the download or direct me to some page where I had to ask about downloading it. To my chagrin, it just allowed me to take the audio without any of that happening. I was wondering if there was an option that I missed to where I can disable that. I don't mind posting freebies, but that song is definitely not one of them.

~When our leaders and our arbiters become corrupt, it becomes our duty, as free men and women, to relinquish them of power in order to prevent their abuse of it.~

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:15 AM

I know the feeling, it's what stops me from uploading my stuff beyond the occasional track. :/

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
FairSquare
FairSquare
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:24 AM

If your songs are the valuable to you, why didn't you read the terms and conditions?

Example of my singing here

BBS Signature
AeroMusic
AeroMusic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:40 AM

At 4/23/13 08:05 AM, darkavenger666 wrote: Okay, I'm kind of a n00b at this site and maybe there was something in the Terms of Use policy about this, but I sure as hell didn't see it. I just finished uploading a song onto the Audio section, I went to check it out, and I noticed there was a download button on there. I was curious if it prompted me to pay for the download or direct me to some page where I had to ask about downloading it. To my chagrin, it just allowed me to take the audio without any of that happening. I was wondering if there was an option that I missed to where I can disable that. I don't mind posting freebies, but that song is definitely not one of them.

All music uploaded to the audio portal automatically falls under a creative commons license and users can download your song as many times as they want- which is why I love ng as there is no download limit like SC

LiquidOoze
LiquidOoze
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 01:01 PM

Originally the Audio Portal was here to provide Fklash animators with free non-commercial music, that's why you can download everything for free. There's no way to disable that. Deal with it.

SoundCloud || Youtube || Bandcamp || Facebook || Click below to listen to my newest track!

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 01:09 PM

Deal with it or don't post anything.

This is what happen when people don't read the Terms before posting...
Breed
Breed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 02:50 PM

This audio portal is for publishing creative commons licensed music.

If you are looking to make money off a song, newgrounds isnt the place to post. This site is more for sharing, learning, and being a community.

If you want a streaming website soundcloud is probably the most popular. If you are looking to license music individually then audiojungle is the way to go.

darkavenger666
darkavenger666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 03:54 PM

At 4/23/13 08:24 AM, FairSquare wrote: If your songs are the valuable to you, why didn't you read the terms and conditions?

You make it sound like my songs normally would be...But to answer your question, I did read the terms and conditions. I just probably missed that portion of it, if it is covered in there.

~When our leaders and our arbiters become corrupt, it becomes our duty, as free men and women, to relinquish them of power in order to prevent their abuse of it.~

darkavenger666
darkavenger666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:03 PM

I'm sorry, but what the hell is wrong with you all? Out of all the responses on this post, only one person was actually sympathetic to the fact that my work could possibly just get stolen, sampled, and all without my expressed permission? The music I make aren't two-hour projects I do on a stint. I pour my heart and soul into my work and want to share it with people so they can enjoy it.

But you guys just think it's something I should just "deal with"? I'm sorry I want to be able to protect my work to the best extent within reason. I'm sorry that I wouldn't want to have to go through a musician's nightmare of watching someone steal your work and make money off of it while you can't do anything to stop it. And I know, there are other sites out there that I can use. But that's no excuse as to why I shouldn't have my work protected wherever I decide to post my content. Seriously, you should all be ashamed of yourselves...

darkavenger666
darkavenger666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:07 PM

At 4/23/13 08:15 AM, MetalRenard wrote: I know the feeling, it's what stops me from uploading my stuff beyond the occasional track. :/

Yeah, I think what I'll start doing is just posting little snippets of my songs and just post the link of my Soundcloud for each post. Keep the faith, man! \m/ >_< \m/

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:23 PM

I don't know what this thread calls for: mollycoddling or just laying down the law. I think I'll go with the latter.

Should I be sympathetic to the fact that it's Creative Commons? Yes, but that still doesn't mean tracks will get stolen: tracks STILL have to be attributed and not be put for commercial use, and you could still make a claim on stolen audio. Of course, the questions beyond that all involve one bigger issue: royalties? Of course, I too, have to deal with the fact that I can't share every single audio track I've made as a result of this.

Should I be sympathetic to the fact that you completely missed the part in the T&Cs about Creative Commons licensing? Following my lawyer's instincts, NO. In contract law, the general rule is that 'you are bound by what you sign', and the same applies for when you join a site -- you accept its terms and conditions, and that means you read them in their entirety.

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:40 PM

I'm not sure why we should be sympathetic... The problem here is that you didn't read the ToS, and now you're complaining about what you signed.

If you care that much about your music, you would do well to read the terms BEFORE uploading. Newgrounds is primarily a flash site, and the Audio portal is here for the primary purpose of providing royalty free music for the flash authors to use.

Also, it doesn't matter where you upload your music, it stands an equal chance of being stolen. Disabling downloads has never stopped people from stealing, as there are a million and a half ways to rip a song from any website.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature
BrokenDeck
BrokenDeck
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:45 PM

Having no download button doesn't stop people from downloading your music in the first place. Browser ad-ons (such as DownloadHelper) allows you to download ANYTHING you see or hear through your browser in the first place. So your concern is moot.

If you are THAT concerned about your music being stolen, the safest thing to do is to not release it onto the internet on the first place. Use your common sense please.

Braiton
Braiton
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:47 PM

At 4/23/13 04:03 PM, darkavenger666 wrote: I'm sorry, but what the hell is wrong with you all? Out of all the responses on this post, only one person was actually sympathetic to the fact that my work could possibly just get stolen, sampled, and all without my expressed permission? The music I make aren't two-hour projects I do on a stint. I pour my heart and soul into my work and want to share it with people so they can enjoy it.

If you don't want your work stolen don't upload your music to the internet. Just because other sites have the option/don't offer a download button doesn't mean your work can't be stolen.

If you upload your work here they'll fall under a CC license so if someone else tries to make money out of your songs without your permission, I believe it should be fine as long as you can show ownership of said songs.

But I don't really know a lot about this topic so maybe someone else could clear it up for you.
Cheers.

MetalRenard
MetalRenard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:47 PM

At 4/23/13 04:40 PM, Back-From-Purgatory wrote: Also, it doesn't matter where you upload your music, it stands an equal chance of being stolen. Disabling downloads has never stopped people from stealing, as there are a million and a half ways to rip a song from any website.

This is true. At least on NG people are encouraged to respect the artist's work if they use it. I have yet to find a single person who has used my work without crediting me directly.

My complaint is only that I wish I could share more. :)

Rocker, Composer and World Ambassador for Foxes! I'm on Youtube. Come check me out! Veteran REAPER user.

BBS Signature
Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:51 PM

At 4/23/13 04:47 PM, Braiton wrote:
At 4/23/13 04:03 PM, darkavenger666 wrote: I'm sorry, but what the hell is wrong with you all? Out of all the responses on this post, only one person was actually sympathetic to the fact that my work could possibly just get stolen, sampled, and all without my expressed permission? The music I make aren't two-hour projects I do on a stint. I pour my heart and soul into my work and want to share it with people so they can enjoy it.
If you don't want your work stolen don't upload your music to the internet. Just because other sites have the option/don't offer a download button doesn't mean your work can't be stolen.

If you upload your work here they'll fall under a CC license so if someone else tries to make money out of your songs without your permission, I believe it should be fine as long as you can show ownership of said songs.

But I don't really know a lot about this topic so maybe someone else could clear it up for you.

I happen to have gotten a near 1st class for Intellectual Property in my law degree (and by near, I mean ONE MARK SHORT!) -- I can at least cover what is generally talked about in copyright law. But to be perfectly honest, I've mentioned all there is to mention above... : (

After this point it's a matter of, do you want to share it and are you willing to share it at the risk of it being exploited and downloaded through the abuse of internet browsers? Or are you going to hoard it to yourself? I know of at least a few people here who can say that they, too, pour their heart and soul into their music -- and some pour their heart and soul into learning and getting better at it. Seriously...

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 2 Entry: A Night in the Attic

BBS Signature
Back-From-Purgatory
Back-From-Purgatory
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 33
Musician
Response to Download Button Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:56 PM

Welp, point has been made, so before this falls into redundancy, I'ma lock it up. OP, as mentioned numerous times, if you don't want your music stolen, don't put it up on the internet... Period. The lack of a download button won't stop people.

Audio/BBS Mod
News: I want to write more metal... - Music: The Inevitability - Art: Kira
\/\/\/ Click the sig for fun times! \/\/\/

BBS Signature