New Topic Respond to this Topic
Tediisan
Tediisan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:03 AM Reply

My school has all Windows computers, I'd be upset if they replaced them all with Macs

BenwaHakubi
BenwaHakubi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:24 AM Reply

I asked my teacher in HS why we always got macs and he told me it was because they give schools a discount.

Araita
Araita
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Artist
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:23 AM Reply

Two years ago my school had windows xp.
I'm pretty sure they still have the same machines now and installed 7.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:23 AM Reply

At my university it's Windows PCs everywhere. If I remember correctly, there is/was some software students have to use that doesn't work (well) on Mac computers. I guess that's the main reason why. Also, everyone is familiar with Windows and I suppose the price has also played role.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 9 June 2014)

BBS Signature
BasedBubbus
BasedBubbus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:29 AM Reply

the kids will think its cool and want to use and work on them
same reason we just got ipads

I'm a single father and a multimillionaire.

BBS Signature
The-Great-One
The-Great-One
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Writer
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 07:22 AM Reply

Schools think they're the best. Also it does depend on the class. Some creative classes are better for Macs than PCs.

| The Interviewer | Review Terms 3.0 | [This Space For Rent ] | Club Stoic |

BBS Signature
LordMartin-Mac
LordMartin-Mac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Gamer
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:29 AM Reply

In my school, we have the latest Mac Computers for Media Arts. We use them because it's perfect for photoshoping, arts, media, posters, and the latest short movies that the students can make. Also the screening for different programs is just awesome in my opinion for work and for fun.

LM-M// Twitter:@Uncle_MartinMac/ PSN:LordMartinMac/

BBS Signature
Doberman
Doberman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 08:44 AM Reply

At 4/23/13 03:31 AM, fawnret wrote: They say art software works better on them or something, but I used the same types of programs on a dell and it worked perfectly fine so I don't know what the reason is.

Although my college doesn't have a lot of Macs or Apple products (the whole place is nearly Windows dominant) this is the same reason I've heard of before. I've never understood it either.

[Last.FM] - [Metal Hell] - [PM me for Skype]
Hear me Roar!

BBS Signature
BumFodder
BumFodder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 09:17 AM Reply

At 4/23/13 08:44 AM, Doberman wrote:
At 4/23/13 03:31 AM, fawnret wrote: They say art software works better on them or something, but I used the same types of programs on a dell and it worked perfectly fine so I don't know what the reason is.
Although my college doesn't have a lot of Macs or Apple products (the whole place is nearly Windows dominant) this is the same reason I've heard of before. I've never understood it either.

Its not true, the argument doesnt make any sense. You can get similar software on the pc for free, and then the schools could bulk buy cheap pcs to run the software on since its just some un-intensive applications. If a school buys mac its probably because they have no idea what they are doing, want to look really good and dont care about IT classes.

leasheddemon
leasheddemon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 10:13 AM Reply

My college uses mainly PC's for all the labs and classrooms, there are a few macs in the building that are used mainly for the computer art majors(Flash, Photoshop,Dreamweaver, etc.)

I am that long legged pissed off Puerto Rican!

BBS Signature
TheKlown
TheKlown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 02:07 PM Reply

When I went to school, we had old old computer that were running windows xp and before that a very old Windows version I used back in early 90's at school that allowed for us to play math blasters on it.

I bleed Orange, Green, and Red.
Flyers, Eagles, Phillies, and Sixers.

Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 03:20 PM Reply

At 4/23/13 02:07 PM, TheKlown wrote: When I went to school, we had old old computer that were running windows xp and before that a very old Windows version I used back in early 90's at school that allowed for us to play math blasters on it.

I remember when every computer in my school was running Windows 95. Those were the dark times.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Lepy
Lepy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Melancholy
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:57 PM Reply

I kinda wish my schools had Macs. I'm not even a fan of OSX.
Our school has these 2009 Dells that, at one point, had Windows XP. They've since updated to Windows 7. They keep the classic theme locked in and every time I use a computer with a Wacom tablet, I have to disable Windows's shitty tablet garbage that causes the cursor to lag an extra second after clicking.

The only time I can recall my schools having a Mac is in elementary, and there was only one. It was most likely made right after Steve Jobs left Apple. No one wanted to use it.
I feel like it might've had Windows loaded on it, but I can't remember. If not, then probably like OS8 or something.

MR-DOS
MR-DOS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:22 PM Reply

At 4/22/13 08:52 PM, MrSoxfan wrote: With all the budget problems were hear about the schools it just doesn't seem logical that they'd stock their computer labs with Macs instead of something cheaper. Or does Apple give them a large discount?

Yeah, they get a discount, but it's still not as cheap as using PCs.

One of my schools used a kind of hybrid system - the regular, paper-typing, research-doing, powerpoint-making workhorses were PCs, but the Media group (they handled yearbooks, images, the school news channel, video editing, etc) used Macs. to this day I dunno why, they were using PINNACLE of all things, and Pinnacle runs on PC...

Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game. Here's why.
Ditch your browser for Ultron, made by Google! Even NASA uses it!

BBS Signature
MR-DOS
MR-DOS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Gamer
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 05:27 PM Reply

At 4/23/13 06:23 AM, Araita wrote: Two years ago my school had windows xp.
I'm pretty sure they still have the same machines now and installed 7.

Story of my middle school right there. They took EVERY PC that had the minimum hardware for 7, regardless if it'd run good or not (dunno about you, but I think a Pentium 4 2.4 GHz, no Hyperthreading, with 1 GB RAM is a good idea with 7), and it backfired. Badly. They ended up putting XP back on the old farts, but leaving 7 on the machines that "should be working just fine" (Pentium D 3.0GHz or more, 2 GB RAM) but the reality was it still wasn't. Only on the newer machines (Core 2 Duo, 3+ GB RAM) did it even perform MARGINALLY better than XP.

It was mainly because the school runs all this random shit in the background.

Morrowind is the best Elder Scrolls game. Here's why.
Ditch your browser for Ultron, made by Google! Even NASA uses it!

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to Why do schools prefer Macs? Apr. 23rd, 2013 @ 06:39 PM Reply

My guess would be control. Macs already have all sorts of shit built into them to make it difficult to do anything that the device wasn't intended for. Schools love to wield that power over students.

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)