New Topic Respond to this Topic
tbremise
tbremise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Thoughts and help? Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 04:53 PM Reply

Hey guys, I am starting to get into drawing and animation more, so I thought I would get some tips and maybe some help from some of you.
First thing, I notice I am not to great at landscapes/backgrounds, and I don't know how to approach it to better improve, does anyone have any tips on this subject?

And also, What are your thoughts on this character I created that I sort of plan to include in an animation when I improve some more, any tips/thoughts on the drawing?

Thoughts and help?

JackDCurleo
JackDCurleo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to Thoughts and help? Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 09:57 PM Reply

At 4/22/13 04:53 PM, tbremise wrote: Hey guys, I am starting to get into drawing and animation more, so I thought I would get some tips and maybe some help from some of you.
First thing, I notice I am not to great at landscapes/backgrounds, and I don't know how to approach it to better improve, does anyone have any tips on this subject?

The best thing you can do to improve on drawing landscapes is type "landscapes" into google images and draw what you see. As for backgrounds for interiors, again, just draw what you see. Other people can probably give you more in depth help with that, but drawing what you see is always a great starting point.

And also, What are your thoughts on this character I created that I sort of plan to include in an animation when I improve some more, any tips/thoughts on the drawing?

He is pretty simple which is good for animations so I won't say to change too much of the base. But when designing a character you should always keep in mind what their purpose is and what they'll be doing and have them dressed for the occasion.
As for the pose its pretty boring. He's just standing there, which while not necessarily a terrible thing it doesn't convey any emotion and with a little pose variation can drastically improve the character. found this pretty simple tutorial and think it will help you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1nxf5KQ2Js

tbremise
tbremise
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Thoughts and help? Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 10:49 PM Reply

I see what you mean about the character. I will keep working, on it, thanks for some feedback/help.

RiptideDf
RiptideDf
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Thoughts and help? Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 03:40 PM Reply

At 4/22/13 04:53 PM, tbremise wrote: Hey guys, I am starting to get into drawing and animation more, so I thought I would get some tips and maybe some help from some of you.

My advice with landscapes is keep them simple. Your main focus should be the character your portraying. Having a complex, detailed background will draw away the viewers eye and make the design less enjoyable to look at. If your persistent about background, the best way in my opinon to start off is by using a reference. If your going for a realitic look, remember in the real world there are no hard lines around objects. If you going for more of a logo, tattoo, or simple design....making a thick outline around your character with a white stroke around that along with a flat color background with gradients, will look pretty good, yet remain massively simple. (wow...that was a run on sentence if i ever saw one. lol)