New Topic Respond to this Topic
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 21st, 2013 @ 04:07 PM Reply

i wish i could write better melodies. i always get stuck when it comes to melodies and hooks. when i listen to other songs here, sometimes i ask "holy crap it's just four notes yet it's very effective".
it just seems i can't get the "mood" or the "tension" right. in some hands up tracks, the melody is not really the most important part, but sometimes i hear some good tracks that really smash the floor, lol.

BTW

even if they are shit I think I could share these. the only one that came good was "liquid piano" (published here, but no link or it's spam). feel free to use these. the other three are just three melodies i couldn't finish (make in a song) and felt like they were terrible, don't know.

MIDI 1 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?guu19h5adb50b9e
MIDI 2 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?h3bu2ev5dqlwb4o
LIQUID PIANO (3) (I have no idea how the fuck I was able to create this nice melody lol) - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?93kd221uvfpd5tn
MIDI 4 - http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?7tc7qeriqy17jq4

See ya

SUCK MY KICK

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 10:07 AM Reply

I have a feeling this is slowly gonna turn into an advert thread. If this was a thread asking for help with melody writing, which I imagine OP could use....... then fair enough...

AMDG ✝

NGADM Round 1 Entry: Oceans Wide

BBS Signature
Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 11:44 AM Reply

At 4/22/13 10:07 AM, TroisNyxEtienne wrote: I have a feeling this is slowly gonna turn into an advert thread. If this was a thread asking for help with melody writing, which I imagine OP could use....... then fair enough...

Yeeeah. Some knowledge in theory can help with melody writing, however it's not totally necessarily. A good ear is definitely useful, but also knowing what notes "sound good" with your progression can't hurt.

IMO, melody writing is one of those things you can get help on but you kind of just have to figure out what you like to make.

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 12:20 PM Reply

advertising? omg.

by the way yes, some tips on melody writing would be cool, since in the book i have it explains nothing. totally nothing.
like practical tips, not "just follow your heart and music will come by itself" lol, that happened only once

SUCK MY KICK

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 12:49 PM Reply

Melodies are meant to be memorable. Try a sentence or a verse you'd like to write music to.... it could be a verse from poetry. Now, when you're writing a melody for it, remember:

1) the way the melody rises and falls must FOLLOW the speech pattern, as in emphasis on the first or second syllable depending on the language. In English, most stresses fall on the first syllable.
2) whether the notes rise or fall depends on the mood you're trying to set. More climactic sections, like choruses, might have higher notes.

Once you try this exercise, shift your focus from writing melodies for lyrics, to writing melodies from scratch.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 12:53 PM Reply

ok thanks for the tips. but i'm talking about instrumentals, no lyrics.
you spoke about rising and fall, and that's what i learnt, but i don't know else techniques. like, what if i want to make a "dance-able" melody with a minor scale? in the major it sounds too cheesy, and in the minor sometimes it sounds too sad and totally not good for a club track or dance, if you get what i mean.

SUCK MY KICK

Troisnyx
Troisnyx
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 16
Musician
Response to Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 22nd, 2013 @ 12:56 PM Reply

Now I understand trance tracks with solid melodies are hard to find considering the volume of them.... but the key is to listen, listen and listen again. See what particularly stands out in the songs which have good hooks.

Then try and emulate: take an element of the melody and twist it about.

The very first piece I ever composed was in 2001, when I was 10 years old, and I used the exact same principle: I had to take a piece I enjoyed, take an element of it that hooked me, and make it my own. It was a mandatory class exercise, and from that point introduced me to composition.

AMDG ✝

BBS Signature
HalcyonicFalconX
HalcyonicFalconX
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Musician
Response to Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 03:14 AM Reply

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodic_contour

Figuring out what sort of melodic contour might help you with what you're looking for.

Lachi
Lachi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Musician
Response to Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 04:09 AM Reply

At 4/25/13 03:14 AM, HalcyonicFalconX wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melodic_contour

Figuring out what sort of melodic contour might help you with what you're looking for.

yep, this is going to help. thanks, if you have other tips or links to share, feel free.

SUCK MY KICK

DjAbbic
DjAbbic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Musician
Response to Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 06:39 AM Reply

At 4/22/13 12:53 PM, Lachi wrote: ok thanks for the tips. but i'm talking about instrumentals, no lyrics.
you spoke about rising and fall, and that's what i learnt, but i don't know else techniques. like, what if i want to make a "dance-able" melody with a minor scale? in the major it sounds too cheesy, and in the minor sometimes it sounds too sad and totally not good for a club track or dance, if you get what i mean.

Here's the thing though, you don't need a great melody to be able to make something 'dance-able'. All you need is groove, which can be achieved through creative spacing of notes, sidechaining etc.

Unless you really want to make melodic dance stuff like Envy, then feel free to ignore this post.

New electro house/complextro song

I do not swear, smoke or drink alcohol. Oh sh*t! My cigarette just fell in my can of beer!

BBS Signature
midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 10:26 AM Reply

At 4/22/13 12:53 PM, Lachi wrote: ok thanks for the tips. but i'm talking about instrumentals, no lyrics.

just sing some nonsense lyrics to yourself and then transcribe the melody to another instrument. not rocket science!
anamanaguchi write all their leads this way, fwiw

p.s. i am gay

midimachine
midimachine
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Audiophile
Response to Liquid Piano + Other 3 Midi Melodie Apr. 25th, 2013 @ 10:30 AM Reply

also i honestly reckon you can make any melody sound great as long as it has the right chords/harmonies and articulation.
think lifeless performance vs lively performance, except you're sequencing instead of performing

p.s. i am gay