00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Nue22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!!

3,095 Views | 14 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Hello!

Maybe I'll introduce myself, firstly. My name is Michal Weber, I'm indie game developer coming from Wroclaw, Poland. Right now, I'm working on my second project (first one was Mile of Crying, suspended at the moment - www.fear-less.eu). My current project is a mix Rogue-like, RPG and Tower Defense elements, also set in horror and more drama mood.

I'm posting here a message in order to find someone who'd be interested in writing music / SFX for the game project I've mentioned above. I'm looking for a person who will have some spare time to prepare around 150 different SFX samples (mainly for monsters / a little less as an ambient background) and around 3-4 music tracks (8-10 minutes long, each track). However, I'm thinking here about non-formal kinds of music themes / SFX's - Silent Hill series fans know I'm talking about ;-) Dark ambient creepy background themes, unidentified sounds coming out of nowhere, etc.

If you'd like to know more about the game, see some screenshots, please - write to me on michal.weber@fear-less.eu IMPORTANT! Keep in mind that I'm self-funded indie game developer, so I won't be able to pay regular job fee. But, if you'll have another proposition, just write :-)

Best regards,
Michal

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-04-21 11:02:26

I think, as someone only working on their second project, that you should probably lower the bar on the sheer amount of original audio content you are asking for. For me as a regular working composer/sound designer that would take about a month of full time work (40+ hours a week).

Unless you're being modest and your budget is at least over 1000USD. If thats the case then you can probably can reach out to the people who can produce so much content and you can probably afford most of the lower tier audio guys.

Let me just say, that if you kept the same budget, but hired a higher quality composer/sound designer to do about half of what you're asking for, you'd probably get a much overall higher quality soundtrack in your game.

Best of luck mate.

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-04-21 11:06:51

At 4/21/13 11:02 AM, Breed wrote: I think, as someone only working on their second project, that you should probably lower the bar on the sheer amount of original audio content you are asking for. For me as a regular working composer/sound designer that would take about a month of full time work (40+ hours a week).

Unless you're being modest and your budget is at least over 1000USD. If thats the case then you can probably can reach out to the people who can produce so much content and you can probably afford most of the lower tier audio guys.

Let me just say, that if you kept the same budget, but hired a higher quality composer/sound designer to do about half of what you're asking for, you'd probably get a much overall higher quality soundtrack in your game.

Best of luck mate.

Thank you for your feedback! :-) I forgot to add one information - if someone will be interested ONLY in preparing SFX, that also would be very cool, because someone else could take a role of composer. What I meant was that I'm open for serious proposals :-)

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-04-21 12:31:11

At 4/21/13 10:37 AM, Weaver85 wrote:
If you'd like to know more about the game, see some screenshots, please - write to me on michal.weber@fear-less.eu IMPORTANT! Keep in mind that I'm self-funded indie game developer, so I won't be able to pay regular job fee. But, if you'll have another proposition, just write :-)

Hello, I am interested to hear more about the game, I just sent you an email.

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-04-21 13:19:33

You really need to remember that even a 1 minute loop, if done well, can make hours of interesting music. A track over 4 minutes in a game is unnecessarily long. 8 to 10 minutes? Unheard of (even ambient music in games is only like 4-6 minutes tops).

I highly recommend you revise your time request.

In addition, as mentioned above, interactive music is not a bad idea. This is done by, in one method, having a base loop (say, 1 minute long) with basic instruments. Then, when new areas are reached or at certain points, other parts that line up with that loop come in, creating variation. This could be done for hours, weaving a unique, ever-changing score, custom to the situation. Although these scores are not common in indie settings, the're fun to do and you might find they fit better the mood you want. :)

I urge you to also check out some artists around Newgrounds- if you find one you like the sound of, shoot them a PM. It's a very effective way of finding good composers, as not everyone reads the forums regularly and that perfect composer might not be reading this.

My Music - Virtual Instruments - About Me

Orchestral Composer, VI Developer

BBS Signature

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-04-21 13:36:36

Maybe you're right... However, thanks to all of your for your feedback so far :-) I'm thinking here more about Lustmord-style music themes, chilled-out ones (without high-pitched sounds). Also, in my project will some emotional moments, so for those I'll be needing also different kind of music... Ok, I'll rethink whole case and will be searching people further :-)

At 4/21/13 01:19 PM, samulis wrote: You really need to remember that even a 1 minute loop, if done well, can make hours of interesting music. A track over 4 minutes in a game is unnecessarily long. 8 to 10 minutes? Unheard of (even ambient music in games is only like 4-6 minutes tops).

I highly recommend you revise your time request.

In addition, as mentioned above, interactive music is not a bad idea. This is done by, in one method, having a base loop (say, 1 minute long) with basic instruments. Then, when new areas are reached or at certain points, other parts that line up with that loop come in, creating variation. This could be done for hours, weaving a unique, ever-changing score, custom to the situation. Although these scores are not common in indie settings, the're fun to do and you might find they fit better the mood you want. :)

I urge you to also check out some artists around Newgrounds- if you find one you like the sound of, shoot them a PM. It's a very effective way of finding good composers, as not everyone reads the forums regularly and that perfect composer might not be reading this.

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-04-21 14:27:35

I've done music for a few horror type games here and definietely would be interested in working on this project if you still need someone. Feel free to shoot me a PM

Here are some samples of my work:

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-04-21 16:40:53

Check your PM box ;-)

At 4/21/13 02:27 PM, SineRider wrote: I've done music for a few horror type games here and definietely would be interested in working on this project if you still need someone. Feel free to shoot me a PM

Here are some samples of my work:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/252202
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/276857

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-04-22 09:47:33

Hello :) This is my compositions . Can write for same quality and level. (cheap)

http://soundcloud.com/radik80

(All music author. Right reserved)

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-04-22 12:23:25

Check your PM box :-)

At 4/22/13 09:47 AM, pit80 wrote: Hello :) This is my compositions . Can write for same quality and level. (cheap)

http://soundcloud.com/radik80

(All music author. Right reserved)

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-04-23 06:16:10

If you'll be needing any Erie/Ethereal solo guitar tracks. I'm your man!

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-05-03 18:32:39

I have just PM'd you!! You need horror music? Look no further :D

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-05-05 16:10:45

I'd like to thank all of you for interest of yours in my project. It was really hard to decide between such wonderful and talented people, but I have to admit that I've made that decision already. So, once again - thank you for submissions, proposals and all tracks you sent me so far :-)

Kind regards for all NG members!

At 5/3/13 06:42 PM, LichLordMusic wrote: If you are still looking then I am happy to do some Horror-like tracks for you and I can do very decent demon and monster-like vocal work if you need any (I have pulled off a very near replica of Diablo/Azmodan styled demon vocals before).

Example track:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/533512

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-05-10 03:09:01

Hello, my name is Shaul Hadar and I am a music composer for pc and mobile games. I would be happy to write music for your next project. I can write in any given genre, and i will give you the best quality out there.
You can check my profile here for some things I already done, and you can check my homepage:
www.shaulhadar.com

Thanks, and have a great day,
Shaul.

Professional Composer

www.shaulhadar.com

Response to Horrormusic / Sfx Composer Needed!! 2013-05-10 10:50:46