New Topic Respond to this Topic
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 09:32 AM Reply

I know it's basically the general consensus to just say "the decade we currently live in sucks mainly because it currently has no nostalgic value to us" but when you think about it, is this decade truly good or bad? For the most part it seems the 2000s were pretty shitty what with the wars, recessions and whatnot. But it seems were in the same position we were in during the 80s in which everyone "supposedly adored to death" (most likely after it was over). Like the people of the 80s we just got finished a decade of economic decline, and we're on our way to slowly improving.

So what are your current thoughts about this decade? Is it truly bad like I know 99.9% are going to say it is, or is it a decent worthwhile decade?

BBS Signature
Strength
Strength
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 09:38 AM Reply

it's great

ok

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome2
TheColourAwesome2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 09:40 AM Reply

How are you this fucking stupid? What are we to judge exactly? Pop culture has always been shit.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 4/20/13 09:40 AM, TheColourAwesome2 wrote: How are you this fucking stupid? What are we to judge exactly? Pop culture has always been shit.

How so? And how does asking about your thoughts on a decade classify me as "fucking stupid."

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome2
TheColourAwesome2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 09:41 AM Reply

At 4/20/13 09:41 AM, tyler2513 wrote: How so? And how does asking about your thoughts on a decade classify me as "fucking stupid."

How can you have thoughts on a decade?

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 09:43 AM Reply

At 4/20/13 09:41 AM, TheColourAwesome2 wrote:
At 4/20/13 09:41 AM, tyler2513 wrote: How so? And how does asking about your thoughts on a decade classify me as "fucking stupid."
How can you have thoughts on a decade?

*AHEM* here goes....I enjoy this decade because the economy is improving and it seems much of the Muslim world is now fighting for freedom and democracy as opposed to the previous decade, with the shitty recessions and the escalating violence in both of the U.S' wars.

Now, your get to hold the talking pickle if you'd like to take a stab at it.

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome2
TheColourAwesome2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 09:48 AM Reply

At 4/20/13 09:43 AM, tyler2513 wrote: Now, your get to hold the talking pickle if you'd like to take a stab at it.

That's not what I meant. How, with only the information you've collected can you make a decision on whether this decade was good or not? You think you can narrow down ten years? What is your opinion worth on the matter?

I enjoyed this 10 year interval because I I discovered masturbation.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 09:50 AM Reply

At 4/20/13 09:48 AM, TheColourAwesome2 wrote:
At 4/20/13 09:43 AM, tyler2513 wrote: Now, your get to hold the talking pickle if you'd like to take a stab at it.
That's not what I meant. How, with only the information you've collected can you make a decision on whether this decade was good or not? You think you can narrow down ten years? What is your opinion worth on the matter?

I enjoyed this 10 year interval because I I discovered masturbation.

OK you can say that on any thread if you wish. You could click on a thread about Gun Control and simply rant "WHYS OUR FUKEN OPNION WORTH ANYTNKIG ANYWAES11! When really you could've have just answered the fucking question in the first place. Please me, why you bothered clicking on a thread with such a title if you just planned to bring your pointless remarks here anyway?

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome2
TheColourAwesome2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 09:53 AM Reply

At 4/20/13 09:50 AM, tyler2513 wrote: OK you can say that on any thread if you wish. You could click on a thread about Gun Control and simply rant "WHYS OUR FUKEN OPNION WORTH ANYTNKIG ANYWAES11! When really you could've have just answered the fucking question in the first place. Please me, why you bothered clicking on a thread with such a title if you just planned to bring your pointless remarks here anyway?

If you can't take my opinion seriously how am I meant to take your seriously on the action of every human in 10 years?

Gimmick
Gimmick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Game Developer
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 09:59 AM Reply

At 4/20/13 09:32 AM, tyler2513 wrote: general consensus

ugh

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp
"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature
TheColourAwesome
TheColourAwesome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Audiophile
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 10:02 AM Reply

At 4/20/13 09:53 AM, TheColourAwesome2 wrote: If you can't take my opinion seriously how am I meant to take your seriously on the action of every human in 10 years?

It's also incredibly patronizing. You must think humanity is pretty boring if you can condense such a long time in a few sentences. You're arrogant. You don't have to have an opinion on everything. You can't even have a respectful discussion. Why do would anyone care what you think about this? Generalizing is ridiculous.

BBS Signature
Sensationalism
Sensationalism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Melancholy
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 01:14 PM Reply

It's terrible. It's filled with shootings and bombings.

The sig that I'm wearin? Awesomely made by Skaren!
Also, I like annoying Americans by calling English football "real football" and American football "rugby".-Lost-Chances

BBS Signature
Tediisan
Tediisan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Melancholy
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 01:20 PM Reply

Seems like a good decade so far for music, that's all I'm concerned with

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 05:56 PM Reply

Obviously we're just coming out of an uncharacteristically shitty week, but all in all I'd say that even though we clearly still have more than our fair share of serious problems, the decade is off to a pretty great start.

Politically, the economy is slowly but surely improving. We have a much more acute awareness of the massive income disparity in this country and the changes we need to make to fix it (say what you will about the Occupy movement, but their rhetoric has become a permanent part of American political discourse). We're finally out of that horrible mess of a war in Iraq and we're back in the places we should have been in the first place. Even though it was heavily compromised and continues to be threatened, we passed the biggest overhaul of the U.S. healthcare system in 50 years. Despite the recent setback, we're still on the path to more sensible gun laws. Marriage equality is spreading incredibly fast, and LGBTQ people are finding much more acceptance in society than they had even in the previous decade. Marijuana legalization is gaining serious traction for the first time.

Plus, with the Arab Spring a region that had once been dominated by authoritarianism is now pushing towards more free, democratic systems. And the regime in North Korea looks like it might be on its last legs.

Culturally, pop music is still mostly shit like it always was, but we've reached an interesting point where idiosyncratic and independent artists from all over the world can suddenly find themselves with a massive hit thanks to YouTube. Movies are still stuck in the endless cycle of reboots, ripoffs and sequels, but on the other hand the nerd takeover of mainstream cinema over the last decade is reaching its apex now. The biggest franchises are all in capable hands (Christopher Nolan, Joss Whedon, J.J. Abrams) and this summer is full of original sci-fi/fantasy films from unique directors. TV had something of a renaissance in the '00s, and now there are all sorts of newer shows tinkering with the medium in interesting ways (Louie, Girls, Adventure Time, Game of Thrones, etc.). Video games are a bloated mess, but they look about ready to buckle under the weight, and indies are flourishing like never before.

But the best part is that what goes on in the mainstream doesn't even have to matter anymore, because the Internet has made any niche instantly accessible and provided artists with new avenues to fund, create and distribute their work, with everything from YouTube and Kickstarter to Facebook and Twitter (and okay, sure, Newgrounds). Generally speaking, there is no better time to be an independent artist than right now.

So yeah, people love to complain but when it comes down to it things are mostly getting better.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: O Lucky Man! (Anderson, 1973, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Nickisabi
Nickisabi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Audiophile
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 06:24 PM Reply

Better than the Dark Ages, which essentially never ended.

If you disagree with my opinion, you're wrong. I'm sorry you have to hear that...

BBS Signature
Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 06:30 PM Reply

At 4/20/13 09:32 AM, tyler2513 wrote: For the most part it seems the 2000s were pretty shitty what with the wars, recessions and whatnot.

You think that's bad? Try being in the 30s or 40s with the Great Depression and World War 2 respectively. Far worse than the current recession and Iraq War.

weasleman
weasleman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Blank Slate
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 06:45 PM Reply

I like it so far.

my sig has fighters in it bitches

BBS Signature
Ceratisa
Ceratisa
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 07:07 PM Reply

Plus, with the Arab Spring a region that had once been dominated by authoritarianism is now pushing towards more free, democratic systems. And the regime in North Korea looks like it might be on its last legs.

The Arab countries are currently more extreme than ever...

morcov
morcov
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 20
Artist
Response to Is this Decade Good? Apr. 20th, 2013 @ 07:33 PM Reply

It's pretty great. The internet is dope.

Something I find with this generation is a shitty ass 1st and 2nd level educational system that pats you on the back just for showing up.